• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
In what way did it leave a mark?
It got me thinking about my views of religion. And made me think I would like to just sit there for a few hours thinking about things.
I have been to a few Buddhist temples and a few Taoist temples, all are impressive, but that was the first time I had the feeling I needed to stay and think. Not even sure what I'd think about..... Also got me thinking about Buddhist in my life... also surprised me, although it probably shouldn't have, how much my wife knew about what needed to be done; bowing, burning incense, prayer, etc. My mother-in-law and father-in-law were Pureland Buddhist, and my brother-in-law, I jsut found out, was a rather devout Buddhist as well

Should also add, I later also went to the Hongluo Temple (Pureland Buddhist) looked at it differently than I think I would have if I went there before Yonghe

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
There's one an hour south I'd like to see someday. It has a big golden Buddha statue in front; not a common thing for small town Iowa.
a friend asked me to accompany her to a Muslim place of worship in the evening when no one was in attendance. It was in Philadelphia, Pa......It was eerie.....silent,dusty .....she went behind a partition to retrieve a book......I was waiting for Scooby do to show up

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
It got me thinking about my views of religion. And made me think I would like to just sit there for a few hours thinking about things.
I have been to a few Buddhist temples and a few Taoist temples, all are impressive, but that was the first time I had the feeling I needed to stay and think. Not even sure what I'd think about..... Also got me thinking about Buddhist in my life... also surprised me, although it probably shouldn't have, how much my wife knew about what needed to be done; bowing, burning incense, prayer, etc. My mother-in-law and father-in-law were Pureland Buddhist, and my brother-in-law, I jsut found out, was a rather devout Buddhist as well

Should also add, I later also went to the Hongluo Temple (Pureland Buddhist) looked at it differently than I think I would have if I went there before Yonghe

I found that sitting in Church when at times no one else was there to be very enjoyable compared to times when services were conducted

Wu Wei

I found that sitting in Church when at times no one else was there to be very enjoyable compared to times when services were conducted
I've done that as well...but the closest I got to a similar feeling was in Notre-Dame Basilica of Montréal. But it was similar, not the same. The only time I can remember having the same feeling I had a Yonghe was at the Fjærlandsfjord, Bøyabreen Glacier in Norway

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
1718729020868.png

Wu Wei

BLASPHEMY!!!!! well almost.....

I brought Mrs Wu's homemade dumplings for lunch today...and I forgot chopsticks... and you just CAN'T eat dumplings without chopsticks...its just wrong..... its BLASPHEMOUS!!!!

But luckily.... I had a disposable pair in one of my desk drawers...so the world is once again saved from the apocalypse

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
I've done that as well...but the closest I got to a similar feeling was in Notre-Dame Basilica of Montréal. But it was similar, not the same. The only time I can remember having the same feeling I had a Yonghe was at the Fjærlandsfjord, Bøyabreen Glacier in Norway
I'd like to visit Norway.

Wu Wei

I'd like to visit Norway.
Visited Oslo and Bergen. Took the glacier tour out of Bergen to Balestrand and the Fjærlandsfjord, and Bøyabreen Glacier. If I were young and single I think I'd have moved there and lived for a few years

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
I'm not searching, but I think it may have slapped me in the face a Yonghe
My son married into a family of doctors. His mother-in-law was an eye doc and his father-in-law was an eye surgeon. The father-in-law was of Norwegian extraction(deceased). He and my daughter-in-law have been to Norway more than once.

Wu Wei

My son married into a family of doctors. His mother-in-law was an eye doc and his father-in-law was an eye surgeon. The father-in-law was of Norwegian extraction(deceased). He and my daughter-in-law have been to Norway more than once.
I married a doctor too.... but she's not from Norway.... nor was any of her family and I think it is pretty safe to say, none of her ancestors are from there either...although I have a few from there.....bloody vikings (Monty Python Spam song should start now :))

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I was about to make a religious comment and then the thread degenerated. So who am I to fight against this but I will note that there are sites that have what in traditional sufism is called baraka, spiritual presence, that the location carries based on the presence of elevated figures from the past and from those who have focused their lives on spiritual principles.