• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The true religion invites comparison

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Without comparisons one cannot search and reach to truth, hence, the true religion invites comparison; it is a strong merit of a believer.

John Martin

I do not personally think that Buddha denied the existence of God. He had special mission of awakening the divine grace inherent in every one. In this scheme believing in God is not very useful. For example two persons fall in two different wells. One believes that there is some one up there and the other does not believe that there is someone there. The first one starts shouting' help,help' and someone comes to him and helps him to come out. Since the second one did not believe that anyone is there he made all the efforts and came up. The first one said that I came out because of the help (grace)of someone.The second one said I came our by own effort( inherent grace). The mission of Buddha was to awaken this inherent grace, this God within, this power in the others. It is not useful to speak about God up there in this scheme. Some people may not be able to awaken this inherent grace. They may experience the divine grace coming above. Both are the work of grace.( Of course there are also Buddhisms which emphasize on grace of Buddha). There is no point of arguing about it. Buddhism has a great mission of awakening this inner grace in our times when a belief in a God out and up there is becoming difficult. Did Buddha not believe in God? Yes, he did not believe in God up there but he certainly believed in the God within.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
From Gospel of Buddha:

Quote:"When the Buddha had thus spoken, one of the Brahmans said:
“We are told, Gotama, that the Sakyamuni knows the path to a union with Brahma.” 27
And the Blessed One said: “What do you think, O Brahmans, of a man born and brought up in Manasakata? Would he be in doubt about the most direct way from this spot to Manasakata?” 28
“Certainly not, Gotama.” 29
“Thus,” replied the Buddha, “the Tathagata knows the straightpath that leads to a union with Brahma. He knows it as one who has entered the world of Brahma and has been born in it. There can be no doubt in the Tathagata.” 30
And the two young Brahmans said: “If thou knowest the way show it to us.” 31
And the Buddha said: 32
“The Tathagata sees the universe face to face and understands its nature. He proclaims the truth both in its letter and in its spirit, and his doctrine is glorious in its origin, glorious in its progress, glorious in its consummation. The Tathagata reveals the higher life in its purity and perfection. He can show you the way to that which is contrary to the five great hindrances. 33" Unquote

Page 142: Chapter XLIX. THE TWO BRAHMANS

http://www.arthursbookshelf.com/Buddhism/The Gospel of Buddha - Paul Carus.pdf

Paarsurrey says:

The one true God is known by His attributes; naturally therefore in all regions of the world and in all languages He has different names but the same attributes.

Quran solves this issue:

[7:181] And to Allah alone belong all perfect attributes. So call on Him by these. And leave alone those who deviate from the right way with respect to His attributes. They shall be repaid for what they do.

The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online

[17:111] Say, ‘Call upon Allah or call upon Rahman; by whichever name you call Him, His are the most beautiful names.’ And utter not thy prayer aloud, nor utter it too low, but seek a way between.
[17:112] And say, ‘All praise belongs to Allah Who has taken unto Himself no son, and Who has no partner in His Kingdom, nor has He anyone to help Him on account of weakness.’ And extol His glory with all glorification.

The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online

[20:9] Allah — there is no God but He. His are the most beautiful names.

[59:25] He is Allah, the Creator, the Maker, the Fashioner. His are the most beautiful names. All that is in the heavens and the earth glorifies Him, and He is the Mighty, the Wise.

So, God Allah YHWH was in Buddha’s speech named as Brahma.

Buddha believed Union with Brahma; that the right path was to acquire attributes of Him and that was the meaning of the union, in my opinion.

Of course others could differ with me; it is their right as is mine.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe that the one true religion will embrace the spirit of freedom of religion and freedom to choose, confident that it will win out. Those of a false religion will tend to erect laws forbidding the free exchange of literature and freedom to practice it- thus indicating their falsity. Now look at the countries of particular concern and decide for yourself which religion(s) is subconsciously proclaiming itself false while claiming that it's true and will take over the world.

Thanks to Savagewind for the very first decent and courteous reply I've received since joining this website and forum! It pains me to say that those having found joy and peace in their faith are far more likely to be civil than those who have not. They are at the very least ladies and gentlemen.

Are you sure you don't just mean you're more likely to get a positive response from people who agree with you?? There are also some pretty judgmental statements in your post (one true religion) which are likely to get a few offside.

Anyway, apart from the brevity, and the inherent bias, I did agree with you about this one...

Those of a false religion will tend to erect laws forbidding the free exchange of literature and freedom to practice it- thus indicating their falsity.

Makes sense to me.

LucifersLawyer

I'm actively engaged in an on going debate with a bunch of Mormon Missionaries.
Here's the link to my blog and first argument...
*edit*
Lucifer's Lawyer: Of Mormons & Monsters: The One Truth

And the first paragraph:
"Humanity is many things, but chief among our traits are our curiosity, introspection, and ambition. We question, puzzle, and ponder because we hunger for knowledge and understanding, of the world at large and ourselves. Ever since the existence of sentience, thought has driven the course of history. We want to know why we think because we think."

Last edited by a moderator:

LucifersLawyer

The greatest lie ever told is that the Devil is a liar. What the devil actually does is tell you the truth, the full truth; painful, agonizing truth...and he let's you find your own way to Hell.

*edit*

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
The greatest lie ever told is that the Devil is a liar. What the devil actually does is tell you the truth, the full truth; painful, agonizing truth...and he let's you find your own way to Hell.

I can say it is safe to assume you are a Theistic Left hand Pather right?
You are preaching some scary stuff bro :areyoucra

What happens if that person does not believe in the devil? What if that person does not even believe in a benevolent deity?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I can say it is safe to assume you are a Theistic Left hand Pather right?
You are preaching some scary stuff bro :areyoucra

What happens if that person does not believe in the devil? What if that person does not even believe in a benevolent deity?

I figure I should be okay. I've never called the devil a liar, and pretty sure there are lots of fundamentalists around calling me devilspawn as we speak. Should count for something...

Plus, I have NEVER used the little angel emoticons.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
From Gospel of Buddha:

Quote:"When the Buddha had thus spoken, one of the Brahmans said:
“We are told, Gotama, that the Sakyamuni knows the path to a union with Brahma.” 27
And the Blessed One said: “What do you think, O Brahmans, of a man born and brought up in Manasakata? Would he be in doubt about the most direct way from this spot to Manasakata?” 28
“Certainly not, Gotama.” 29
“Thus,” replied the Buddha, “the Tathagata knows the straightpath that leads to a union with Brahma. He knows it as one who has entered the world of Brahma and has been born in it. There can be no doubt in the Tathagata.” 30
And the two young Brahmans said: “If thou knowest the way show it to us.” 31
And the Buddha said: 32
“The Tathagata sees the universe face to face and understands its nature. He proclaims the truth both in its letter and in its spirit, and his doctrine is glorious in its origin, glorious in its progress, glorious in its consummation. The Tathagata reveals the higher life in its purity and perfection. He can show you the way to that which is contrary to the five great hindrances. 33" Unquote

Page 142: Chapter XLIX. THE TWO BRAHMANS

http://www.arthursbookshelf.com/Buddhism/The Gospel of Buddha - Paul Carus.pdf

Indeed, but at what point does the Buddha state Brahma is the creator god? Or the supreme being?

Please provide scripture, if you can.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
1.Urmonotheismus (German for "primeval monotheism") or primitive monotheism is the hypothesis of a monotheistic Urreligion, from which non-monotheistic religions degenerated. This is diametrically opposed to the evolutionary view of religion, which holds that religion progressed from simple forms to complex: first preanimism, then animism, totemism, polytheism and finally monotheism (see Anthropology of religion).[1]

2.Alleged traces of primitive monotheism were located in the deities Assyrian Ashur and Marduk, and Hebrew YHWH. Monotheism in Schmidt's view is the "natural" form of theism, which was later overlaid and "degraded" by polytheism.[2]

Urmonotheismus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think that could also help.

Thanks, I'll do some reading on that.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
But you will always call him Allah :D. Seems rather biased but I enjoy how Persians call him Khuda as well.

There is no harm in calling the one true God with the name of Khuda or Ahura Mazda or Yahweh or any other good name; Quran mention that all good names of the one true God belong to Him.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Any god that offers hell (or some version of it) won't have to toss me into it....I'll gladly jump into it. I'd rather burn than worship a tyrant.

You know, that is a very wise stance to take. At least IMO, and by what I understand to be the standard Buddhist interpretation.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If I understood it correctly, yes. The alternative would be, well, obscene.

Surely there is something better for a true god to do than play mighty mafia capo and expect to be respected for it.