• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Walking Dead

freethinker44

Pretty much knew it was a hallucination. Just hoped they were going to go somewhere with it, not just let him talk to a few people he used to know and then everything is back to normal again. The whole situation with Merle doesn't make sense to me neither, but we will see how that pans out next episode.

A

angellous_evangellous

I watched every episode of the first three seasons. I started reading the comics a few weeks ago, and they are far better. Lori's death was better in the comic, and Rick got his hand cut off just after they discovered Woodbury. But I do like what they are doing in the series. It's just a bit dry when compared to the real deal.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
LOL! "What are you going to do Michone? Jump out of the woods and take on all four of us, armed to the teeth, with your little pig-sticker?"

Yup. :yes: Made it look pretty believable too.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Just finished the 2nd season via netflix. I didn't realize that they were only on Season 3! I need to find a way to catch up. Can't leave me hangin' like that!

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
The climax was the revelation that he was delirious and that the whole thing was just a hallucination.

The old Famous Writer's School Trick #27 - Introduce a fantastic new plot twist that fizzles when it's revealed to be an illusion.

I'm not convinced that's all this was. The last phone call was obviously an hallucination, but the first two may still have been real.

If you notice, the third call contradicted the second call: the second caller hung up when Rick wouldn't talk about how his wife died. The third caller told him it was good that he didn't.

Also, if Rick had been talking to dead people all 3 times (dead people who knew him), why all the personal questions?

And if the "We're in a safe place" meant that they're dead, how does "We can't tell you where we are because you may be dangerous" make sense?

I have a feeling we're going to be hearing more about all of this. :yes:

Only thing I'm wondering about is, if these are real people, how'd they get the phones to work? But I think a cleaver writer could handle that.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Pretty much knew it was a hallucination. Just hoped they were going to go somewhere with it, not just let him talk to a few people he used to know and then everything is back to normal again. The whole situation with Merle doesn't make sense to me neither, but we will see how that pans out next episode.

It was just to demonstrate that he's losing his mind due to all the stress and traumatic experiences.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
It was just to demonstrate that he's losing his mind due to all the stress and traumatic experiences.

Rick is going through the Long Dark Tea-time of the soul.

He feels like he's failed as a leader and he's trying to figure out why. Right now he's beating the hell out of himself trying to get him to tell him. :D

freethinker44

I'm not convinced that's all this was. The last phone call was obviously an hallucination, but the first two may still have been real.

That's just wishfull thinking. Even in the comics they were just hallucinations. He even unplugged the phone and took it with him to talk, so it was pretty obvious he was delusional.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants

If you notice, the third call contradicted the second call: the second caller hung up when Rick wouldn't talk about how his wife died. The third caller told him it was good that he didn't.

Also, if Rick had been talking to dead people all 3 times (dead people who knew him), why all the personal questions?

And if the "We're in a safe place" meant that they're dead, how does "We can't tell you where we are because you may be dangerous" make sense?

Only thing I'm wondering about is, if these are real people, how'd they get the phones to work? But I think a cleaver writer could handle that.

I have no idea what to make of it now. But I can say this much...having gone back, the first call had the girl that said "I've been calling since it all got started"........That can't be anybody that Rick knows, right? They died far later for it to be them. And also, she said with regard to why they are safe...."And part of it is because we are safe". That is an odd thing to say for someone that is dead, don't you think? And not to mention that she has a concept of time by saying she'd call back in 2 hours. We all know that there is no time in the after life...:D.

In the second call, the guy actually says "No one has been bit, no one has died...." I suppose there is many ways to interpret that but it sounds to me like they aren't people who have already died. Normally, dead people don't tell you if they are alive or dead. The guy also said "You could be dangerous"...Another odd thing to say for someone that actually knew him.

The third call if I may correct you here Quagmire....said "It did good, you should talk about it Rick"....There was no contradiction. However, if you listen closely, you can tell that the girl in the first call is a different voice from the girl in the third call. And to complicate matters more, the voice literally changes during the third call. The women started with a southern drawl and it just flipped all of a sudden when it came to calling him out by name. The hullucinations might have started half way through the third call.

The fourth call definately starts off as a hullicination and once again it's followed with static as it was towards the end of the third call.

I think you are right, this isn't the last we hear of them.

Watchmen

Premium Member

Incorrect. They were all hallucinations. The last caller (Laurie) identifies the previous callers - all people who have died under Rick's watch.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Well that settles it. :rolleyes:

Then why didn't he recognize any of their voices?

It'd been awhile since he heard them (in fact, I'm not sure he ever heard Amy - don't remember) PLUS he was obviously a wreck.

Anyway . . . time will tell, but I'm 99.999% sure I'm right based on what I've seen and what I've heard about the comics.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
It'd been awhile since he heard them (in fact, I'm not sure he ever heard Amy - don't remember) PLUS he was obviously a wreck.

Anyway . . . time will tell, but I'm 99.999% sure I'm right based on what I've seen and what I've heard about the comics.

Have you considered what I said to Quagmire above?

Watchmen

Premium Member
Have you considered what I said to Quagmire above?

Yep - and I think it supports the argument that Rick was going crazy. He was hearing all different kinds of voices of people not making any sense and, in the end, his mind convinces him it was the voices of all those who have died along the way even thought, based on what you wrote, it can't be. The simple matter is - Rick was going crazy!!!

Based on the fact the phone calls haven't been mentioned, Rick is back in good form, and based on how the comics treat the phone calls, I think it's safe to say we're past the phone call issue and it was exactly what some of us pointed out - Rick's hallucination.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Dead certainty based on what you heard a body of literature says.

I bet a I could draw a few parallels there if I really put my mind to it. :D