• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Walking Dead

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Shane does make a good moral and ethical case, though we are more often tempted to side with the more empathetic Rick. The good of the many does often trump the good of the few, or the one.

I don't make that comparison. Had it been something like a grenade thrown on a boat of many and then thrown to a boat of one (assuming no other options were available) then I'd see that as more viable.

Quiddity

Well, that's mostly Shane, who's established as an antagonist. They intended for the viewer to question his unstable behavior.

That's why I said it would be a bit boring if everyone did what is normally seen as right by most. Even the redneck showed snippets of being more moral then Shane.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Shane does make a good moral and ethical case, though we are more often tempted to side with the more empathetic Rick. The good of the many does often trump the good of the few, or the one.

But Shame has more selfish motivations behind his actions (i.e. Rick's wife). And let's not forget the attempted rape from first season.

Quiddity

But Shame has more selfish motivations behind his actions (i.e. Rick's wife). And let's not forget the attempted rape from first season.

They are selfish, but not compeltely. He cares about the boy and I wouldn't put that in the selfish bucket.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
On to other important issues.
Rick is correct that they need to use knives more.
I'd say they need swords, which allow greater carnage at more distance.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

The flip side to all of that is when both of them cut themselves. I have my concerns about such actions giving they now know that just a scratch can turn one into a walker...but to cut ones self to draw a walker near seems illogical and dangerous. One could get the walker's infected blood into their open wound.....:sad:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The flip side to all of that is when both of them cut themselves. I have my concerns about such actions giving they now know that just a scratch can turn one into a walker...but to cut ones self to draw a walker near seems illogical and dangerous. One could get the walker's infected blood into their open wound.....:sad:
One version of the mythology is that we're all infected with the virus,
but we become lame-brains (aka walkers) only after we die & reanimate.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

I think hatchets and machetes would be more practical to use and easier to find. Plus, if they started using swords in the show it would be excessively cheesy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think hatchets and machetes would be more practical to use and easier to find. Plus, if they started using swords in the show it would be excessively cheesy.
As a very experienced groundskeeper, I find machetes better than axes for low strength limbs (eg, shrubs, small trees) because they're
more nimble & have a longer cutting edge. Axes are slower, smaller edged & only suited for limbs stronger than found on humans.
A sword (eg, Japanese long sword) would have more reach than a machete & allow 2-handed use, but the latter would suffice until
the former can be found. I plan seriously for the zombie apocalypse....the threat is nigh!

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
As a very experienced groundskeeper, I find machetes better than axes for low strength limbs (eg, shrubs, small trees) because they're
more nimble & have a longer cutting edge. Axes are slower, smaller edged & only suited for limbs stronger than found on humans.
A sword (eg, Japanese long sword) would have more reach than a machete & allow 2-handed use, but the latter would suffice until
the former can be found. I plan seriously for the zombie apocalypse....the threat is nigh!

I'm not saying a sword would necessarily be less effective (but wouldn't they require a little training?), I'm just saying it would be cheesy if they started using them in the show. It would ruin the suspension of disbelief.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not saying a sword would necessarily be less effective (but wouldn't they require a little training?), I'm just saying it would be cheesy if they started using them in the show. It would ruin the suspension of disbelief.
It would be believable if they used them without expertise.
(It shouldn't look like a samurai movie or Blade.)
Not all characters should take them up either.
Diversity of weaponry is realistic.

I see that you take your zombie mythology seriously......this is good.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It would be believable if they used them without expertise.
(It shouldn't look like a samurai movie or Blade.)
Not all characters should take them up either.
Diversity of weaponry is realistic.

I see that you take your zombie mythology seriously......this is good.

No, it's not about taking zombie mythology seriously. If A show/movie was intended to be a bit cheesy and over-the-top, then swords would be fine, but The Walking Dead is supposed to be a serious drama, and ninja antics would be totally out of place.

Also, 90% of swords around here are shoddy display replicas anyway.

Quiddity

No, it's not about taking zombie mythology seriously. If A show/movie was intended to be a bit cheesy and over-the-top, then swords would be fine, but The Walking Dead is supposed to be a serious drama, and ninja antics would be totally out of place.

They could tie the story to the one and only asian character they have. Still cheesy?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The mythology must be internally consistent & as realistic as possible for us to suspend disbelief & be drawn in.
As I said, using swords without expertise is quite believable. To use crappy replica swords would be a nice
twist...quite believable. I imagine them finding a cache of edged blades in some low rent knife/army surplus store.
The characters would start out clumsy & feckless, but gradually become effective in a crude & workmanlike way.

Btw, I bought an antique civil war era cavalry sword for a few bucks at an army surplus store in the 50s. They're
common enuf & only valuable in pristine condition.

Last edited:

Trey of Diamonds

The mythology must be internally consistent & as realistic as possible for us to suspend disbelief & be drawn in.
As I said, using swords without expertise is quite believable. To use crappy replica swords would be a nice
twist...quite believable. I imagine them finding a cache of edged blades in some low rent knife/army surplus store.
The characters would start out clumsy & feckless, but gradually become effective in a crude & workmanlike way.

Btw, I bought an antique civil war era cavalry sword for a few bucks at an army surplus store in the 50s. They're
common enuf & only valuable in pristine condition.

I'm partial to ditch bank blades for zombie fighting, (once the bullets run out anyway). It helps keep them at arms length.

Brush-Clearing-Tools-BEN-_i_4HGC5_AS01.jpg