• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Walking Dead

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Alrightee. I hope the writers see it different. ;)

Oh, they probably will. It's Hollywood after all. :p

I really don't think Rick is running on empathy all that much though.

For instance, I think his going back for Meryl (the first disagreement Rick and Shane had) wasn't so much based on concern for Meryl, per se, as it was on Rick's self-image. Handcuffing someone to a pipe and leaving him for dead is something that "Rick" as he saw himself, wouldn't do.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Okay, starting episode 9. Picks up where the other one left off, except... why is it suddenly dark? I get that night falls, but that fast?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Anybody want to get into a One on One Debate: "Rick or Shane, who should lead the group?"? :D

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Rick leads for drama, Shane would lead for grand slaughter which would be most entertaining.

LOL!

[next time on....THe WaLkiNg DeAd:]

Rick: "I think we should be going for drama"

Shane: "Screw your whimpy drama, GRAND SLAUGHTER! RIGHT NOW! THIS WAY EVERYBODY!!"

Rick: "Now hold on Shane, if we play my drama idea right, it'll probably lead to grand slaughter anyway"

Shane: "Yeah, OURS. OK EVERYBODY! WHAT DO YOU GUYS WANT: DRAMA OR GRAND SLAUGHTER? HMMM? HUH?? WHAT???"

Group: "We just want dinner".

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I thought tonight's episode got dangerously close to "jumping the shark". Carl's actions and behavior were laughably unrealistic, a lot of the other characters' acting seemed half-hearted and unconvincing, and
what reason was Dale in the field by himself at night, and why would he have been so careless and absented minded? I think it has a lot to do with Frank Darabont being fired from the show, and he's the one who brought aboard Jeffrey DeMunn, the actor who played Dale. I think that might have something to do with his abrupt and seemingly random death.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
That's what I read - he wanted to be written off the show.

I was a little disappointed in the episode. The ending surprised me since it goes against what happens in the comics.

I need more time to process this week's episode before next week's. T-Dog yelling "aw, hell no!" in the preview is just too funny. He's become "the token black guy" :facepalm:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The ending surprised me since it goes against what happens in the comics.
At lot of things have been going against what happens in the comic since the start of the show. And from what I've read about the comic, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I thought tonight's episode got dangerously close to "jumping the shark". Carl's actions and behavior were laughably unrealistic, a lot of the other characters' acting seemed half-hearted and unconvincing, and
what reason was Dale in the field by himself at night, and why would he have been so careless and absented minded? I think it has a lot to do with Frank Darabont being fired from the show, and he's the one who brought aboard Jeffrey DeMunn, the actor who played Dale. I think that might have something to do with his abrupt and seemingly random death.

I was feeling the same way. I didn't understand how he could not have seen the walker in such a large and open field. Yes....Why the heck was he out there and not perched up on top of the camper. The high ground would have been the best advantage point like they've been showing for the past few weeks. I was a little disappointed with this week's episode.

The son made me mad by wondering off. He's been shot already and yet walked into the woods alone with a gun that was obviously way to too big and too powerful for him. His interaction with the walker made me mad. This became evident when it was time for his dad to pull the trigger on that guy. He seemed out for blood but couldn't pull the trigger himself on the walker. It didn't make any sense to me....

Ok, OK...well let's see what happens next week.

Trey of Diamonds

I was feeling the same way. I didn't understand how he could not have seen the walker in such a large and open field. Yes....Why the heck was he out there and not perched up on top of the camper. The high ground would have been the best advantage point like they've been showing for the past few weeks. I was a little disappointed with this week's episode.

The son made me mad by wondering off. He's been shot already and yet walked into the woods alone with a gun that was obviously way to too big and too powerful for him. His interaction with the walker made me mad. This became evident when it was time for his dad to pull the trigger on that guy. He seemed out for blood but couldn't pull the trigger himself on the walker. It didn't make any sense to me....

Ok, OK...well let's see what happens next week.

Agreed, worst episode of the show hands down. I'm not going to complain to much as over all the show is very well done. Lets just hope they don't screw up like this often. To be honest though, Dale was getting on my nerves. :p

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

*nods* It was too abrupt, random, reckless and out of character.

Exactly. It didn't make sense and was unrealistic. In real life the little turd would be scared ******** and the adults would've always keep him very close and in sight at all times, especially considering Sophia's fate.

And the actors who portray Hershel and Carol seemed rather off this episode. The latter of which, Melissa McBride, is another actor with close ties to Frank Darabont. The 3rd being Laurie Holden, who plays Andrea. If it's ture that Dale was killed off early because of that relation, then I wonder about the other two.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Agreed, worst episode of the show hands down. I'm not going to complain to much as over all the show is very well done. Lets just hope they don't screw up like this often. To be honest though, Dale was getting on my nerves. :p

I had mixed feelings about the character, too. Seemed like an overall decent guy with good intentions who unfortunately made stupid choices (like attempting to dispose of the guns). And I might understand his position on the execution if it wasn't made clear that the kid is a scumbag as he did attempt to murder Rick, Glenn and Hershal, attempted to manipulate Carl and admitted to aiding and abiding rape and murder.

Another aspect that made the death seem abrupt is the unresolved relation between Dale and Andrea.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
At lot of things have been going against what happens in the comic since the start of the show. And from what I've read about the comic, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
I'm well aware of the differences between the show and the comic. I'm a huge fan of the comic! As the show began I used to hate the differences and complain when things changed. Lately, I've appreciated it because the show is fresh and not predictable.

When Dale was attacked my friend said, "He's gonna get bit!" and I disagreed because that doesn't happen in the comics. Then the stomach ripping happened. I thought he'd live through it somehow. ...yeah, didn't happen.

I was shocked. I was surprised. I loved it.

Hated the episode compared to the previous week's greatness.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So, this weeks episode was good, I thought.
However, unless I missed it, it wasn't made clear how the prisoner got his neck broke. Shane had him march off screen, where it was obvious something happened to him, like some sort of trap. They of course found his zombified corpse and determined that he wasn't bitten and died from a broken net, but not how.

Speaking of people who've came back as zombies yet weren't bit, I'm guessing that the zombie disease is airborne and that everyone is infected. It lies dormant until the host dies, and then reanimates the corpse. Thus now everyone comes back as a zombie regardless of cause of death.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Freggin Shane, why did you have to die? I was really hoping he would get his head straight and just let Rick be the alpha dog.

I know Rick's wife was trying to fix things, but I think that drove Shane over the edge.

Trey of Diamonds

It took longer on TV than in the books. Shane didn't last long in the books at all. I was unhappy with all the weeping from Rick. In the book he just shot him and that was it. I'm so tired of heroes who cry and show their sensitive side. Other than that, good episode, looking forward to the next.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It took longer on TV than in the books. Shane didn't last long in the books at all. I was unhappy with all the weeping from Rick. In the book he just shot him and that was it. I'm so tired of heroes who cry and show their sensitive side. Other than that, good episode, looking forward to the next.

Let's be realistic, though; I don't imagine it would be easy killing your best friend, regardless of the circumstances. I think it makes the characters more believable.

Trey of Diamonds

Let's be realistic, though; I don't imagine it would be easy killing your best friend, regardless of the circumstances. I think it makes the characters more believable.

I disagree. Every now and then sure. But is it really realistic that ever single hero to walk the silver screen has to be a crybaby wimp? Statisically there should be a few tough guys out there. I haven't seen John Carter yet but I loved the books when I was a kid and I'm hoping Disney didn't screw with the character to badly. Now that was a hero's hero.