• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Walking Dead

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Something that I'm wondering about, and maybe I missed something and someone can fill me in:

Have they explained why there aren't any dogs anywhere in sight?

I mean, Hershel's horses and cows are still around, and there've been a cpl of live deer in the forests, but no dogs anywhere.

I think it would be safe to assume that living on a farm Hershel's family would have had a dog or two, especially since Otis was a hunter.

Actually, during a brief transition sequence, there were stray dogs feeding on a corpse, then later during that episode, during another transition sequence, there were walkers feeding on the dogs. I'm fairly positive it was during an earlier episode from this season and it was only a few seconds.

[youtube]0EikMJTZTIQ[/youtube]

Oh! And the chiguaguas from the episode when the "gang" was garrisoned in the nursing home, caring for the abandoned old folks.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, during a brief transition sequence, there were stray dogs feeding on a corpse, then later during that episode, during another transition sequence, there were walkers feeding on the dogs. I'm fairly positive it was during an earlier episode from this season and it was only a few seconds.

Ah, thanks FH. Thing that made me think of this is that last night me and a friend were doing what any responsible middle aged guys do on a typical Saturday night: talking about what we would do in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

Rod said that the first thing he would do would be to head for the nearest dog pound and let all the dogs out of their pens (would keep the zombies occupied so we could empty out the liquor store). Sounded like a sensible plan to me, but, since it's also all middle-aged guys job to argue with each other even when they agree I brought up the possibility that the dogs would get infected---either by biting or being bitten---and then we would have zombie dogs to deal with too and that we'd be much better off going with my plan which is to head for the nearest woman's detention center.

Finally, we decided to consult the wikipedia of zombie lore--which at this point is the Walking Dead series (books and the TV episodes)---and see what we could glean from that.

S'when I noticed there were no dogs that I could remember, although now that you mention it, I think I remember the brief dog scene too.

My plan's still better than Rod's though.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Ah, thanks FH. Thing that made me think of this is that last night me and a friend were doing what any responsible middle aged guys do on a typical Saturday night: talking about what we would do in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

Rod said that the first thing he would do would be to head for the nearest dog pound and let all the dogs out of their pens (would keep the zombies occupied so we could empty out the liquor store). Sounded like a sensible plan to me, but, since it's also all middle-aged guys job to argue with each other even when they agree I brought up the possibility that the dogs would get infected---either by biting or being bitten---and then we would have zombie dogs to deal with too and that we'd be much better off going with my plan which is to head for the nearest woman's detention center.

Finally, we decided to consult the wikipedia of zombie lore--which at this point is the Walking Dead series (books and the TV episodes)---and see what we could glean from that.

S'when I noticed there were no dogs that I could remember, although now that you mention it, I think I remember the brief dog scene too.

My plan's still better than Rod's though.

Only humans cant carry the disease according to the wiki for the comic book. I think zombie animals would make things more interesting, though.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
Wow. What an episode! I literally screamed at the TV when a certain character showed up!

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
" but Christ promised the ressurection of the dead. I just thought he had a little something different in mind":biglaugh:

That was funny as heck right there!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wow. What an episode! I literally screamed at the TV when a certain character showed up!
And wielding a proper weapon (no ammo resupply issues)...finally!
The 2 armless lame brains in tow were a neat surprise.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Ummm, nope. :rolleyes: I invite you to attempt an explanation, though.

You do understand that sci-fi and fantasy can still be "serious", right? Fiction or not, introducing cartoony elements does in fact change the style. Fiction doesn't, believe it or not, have to be cheesy. Take Star-Trek, for example. It's sci-fi, obviously, yet they try to convey the stories in a "serious" and logical manner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspention_of_disbelief

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

This is what I did --> :facepalm:

Things just got cartoony. You can't take someone pretending to be a ninja seriously. And the cowl? Cheesy, cheesy.

I don't mind over-the-top, cheesy stuff, but it has to be intentionally and consistently so.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is what I did --> :facepalm:

Things just got cartoony. You can't take someone pretending to be a ninja seriously. And the cowl? Cheesy, cheesy.
Not every sword swinger is a ninja.
Long pointy sharp stabby slicey thingies originated all over the world....except perhaps Amish & Eskimo country.
Just grab & swing...no supernatural Asian martial arts necessary.
It just seems obvious that guns suffer from limited availability of ammo, but swords can quickly decapitate a lunging lame brain.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Not every sword swinger is a ninja.
Long pointy sharp stabby slicey thingies originated all over the world....except perhaps Amish & Eskimo country.
Just grab & swing...no supernatural Asian martial arts necessary.
It just seems obvious that guns suffer from limited availability of ammo, but swords can quickly decapitate a lunging lame brain.

It wasn't so much the sword (although a machete would've been more realistic), the dramatic pose and posturing with the cowl and the zombies on chains (really...why?). If a zombie outbreak happened in real life, how many do you think would actually act like this (without others thinking that they're mentally ill, at least)? Had the show been established in comic books style form the beginning it might make sense, but in the show's current form and style it's just pretentious.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It wasn't so much the sword (although a machete would've been more probable), the dramatic pose and posturing with the cowl and the zombies on chains (Really...why?). If a zombie outbreak happened in real life, how many do you think would actually act like this (without others thinking they're mentally ill, at least)? Had the show been established in comic books style form the begin it might make sense, but in the show's current form and style it's just pretentious.
I agree that the scene was over the top.
But forgive them, since this is a comic book inspired show.
I considered the rarity of useful (not play acting replicas) swords, & figger that
it makes sense that they'd be few in number. A machete would work for me too.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
But forgive them, since this is a comic book inspired show.
I understand that, but they should've decided upon a style and stuck with it. They could've at least toned down the character to be more believable and realistic. People wouldn't pretend to be ninjas if such a scenario happened in reality, therefore I don't think it's fitting for people to pretend to be ninjas in the show. I liked the idea of it being a sort of "what if" story.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I understand that, but they should've decided upon a style and stuck with it. They could've at least toned down the character to be more believable and realistic. People wouldn't pretend to be ninjas if such a scenario happened in reality, therefore I don't think it's fitting for people to pretend to be ninjas in the show. I liked the idea of it being a sort of "what if" story.
What is "ninja" about beheading a zombie & then just standing there looking cool?
Nah....ninjas all act like this.....
[youtube]z34JYwNGFtw[/youtube]
Ninja man! - YouTube

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Note though that ninjas usually don't have such frenetic musical accompanyment.

Last edited:

Trey of Diamonds

Ummm, nope. :rolleyes: I invite you to attempt an explanation, though.

You do understand that sci-fi and fantasy can still be "serious", right? Fiction or not, introducing cartoony elements does in fact change the style. Fiction doesn't, believe it or not, have to be cheesy. Take Star-Trek, for example. It's sci-fi, obviously, yet they try to convey the stories in a "serious" and logical manner.

Suspension of disbelief - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Um, have you seen the latest episode?

Trey of Diamonds

It wasn't so much the sword (although a machete would've been more realistic), the dramatic pose and posturing with the cowl and the zombies on chains (really...why?). If a zombie outbreak happened in real life, how many do you think would actually act like this (without others thinking that they're mentally ill, at least)? Had the show been established in comic books style form the beginning it might make sense, but in the show's current form and style it's just pretentious.

Oh come on now. Lets not forget the target demographic here. Walking Dead is a comic book. The show is about the zombie apocolypse after all. Are your really going to complain about the writers giving the comic book geeks what they want to see? Why do you think that because the book and show is very well written that is should rise above its own subject matter and cater to a different demographic. Talk about pretentious. :rolleyes:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
And wielding a proper weapon (no ammo resupply issues)...finally!
The 2 armless lame brains in tow were a neat surprise.

Yea, I think is was FH that said the further they stray from the comic the better but then they introduce this character. Personally I'm not disappointed but I was intrigued as to why these two zombies don't just run up on the hooded persron and simply take a bite out of that neck/shoulder. She has them on a rope/chain to drag them along but what's stopping either of them from running up on her....? hmmmm:sad: