• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists: What would a godless universe look like?

Little Dragon

More like the Universe is animated by light/dark divine energy. What I refer to as magic.
Energy is the potential of a system to do work. Simply put. Whether that is the potential gravitational and kinetic energy of a falling raindrop or the chemical potential energy of a Duracell battery cell. What is the nature of the system that this energy is contained within?

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
What is the nature of the system that this energy is contained within?

The System is the Universe as a whole. Which is all of Nature and the Natural world.

Your version of "energy" is the physics and physical science definition. But definitions and meanings shift move and change depending on culture and subculture. Science is a subculture of society.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Science is merely a tool, a methodology of objective inquiry.

Yup. It's a tool.

I have different tools for theological inquiry. And definitions that don't always fit the "scientific definitions".

But others in my community know what I am referring to with the language I use. Which is more important than outsiders understanding.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I know of no other definitions.

I tend to use the first two definitions, unless I am exclusively referring to science, then the latter two are appropriate.
From Merriam-Webster:

energy
noun
en·er·gy ˈe-nər-jē

a
: dynamic quality

narrative energy
b
: the capacity of acting or being active
intellectual energy
c
: a usually positive spiritual force
the energy flowing through all people

: vigorous exertion of power : EFFORT
investing time and energy

: a fundamental entity of nature that is transferred between parts of a system in the production of physical change within the system and usually regarded as the capacity for doing work

: usable power (such as heat or electricity)
also : the resources for producing such power

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Can't be that, since only information can be transferred with "spooky action at a distance" as Einstein called it, not energy. However I like the ideas!

Data (ie information ) is energy imo. Data contains photons which contains an electrical charge which is itself energy. Data is an idea.

The universe itself is "Energy" in various states (solid liquid gas plasma, dark light, etc). So transmitting data (ie communicating w/a Deity) at a distance is entirely plausible imo.