• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists: What would a godless universe look like?

Little Dragon

I figured as much. I was an electrical/computer engineer while in the military, so I see everything in terms of data and energy.
Ah I was an analytical chemist for some years, so I understand energy to be one thing, and information to be another. However, one thing they share is that they are both subject to entropy. Whenever energy or information is transferred, there is some loss of energy or information. So in some senses you might be on to something. ;)

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Ah I was an analytical chemist for some years, so I understand energy to be one thing, and information to be another. However, one thing they share is that they are both subject to entropy. Whenever energy or information is transferred, there is some loss of energy or information. So in some senses you might be on to something. ;)

Entropy. Ah yes, even the Gods die eventually.

Bthoth

Entropy. Ah yes, even the Gods die eventually.
According to the Greek historian Plutarch (in De defectu oraculorum, "The Obsolescence of Oracles"), Pan is the only Greek god who actually dies. During the reign of Tiberius (AD 14–37), the news of Pan's death came to one Thamus, a sailor on his way to Italy by way of the Greek island of Paxi.

The old joke is Pan Died.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
According to the Greek historian Plutarch (in De defectu oraculorum, "The Obsolescence of Oracles"), Pan is the only Greek god who actually dies. During the reign of Tiberius (AD 14–37), the news of Pan's death came to one Thamus, a sailor on his way to Italy by way of the Greek island of Paxi.

The old joke is Pan Died.

Almost all the Germanic Deities meet their end at Ragnarok. Minus two humans, and like a handful of Gods.

DNB

Christian
The existence and the belief in existence are different things.

Having abstract concepts allows the development of language, which allows for better coordination on hunting, gathering, etc. Belief in deities is just a strange side effect. Also, making stronger communities can help survival, even if it is based on a myth.
No, you're incorrect - truth is the hallmark of growth, development and productivity, and overall soundness and health.
No need for fairy tales - no other creature on the planet requires them to survive.

DNB

Christian
It requires a large brain in rela5tion to body size, specialized anatomy to make use of the mental abilities (opposable thumbs is a big one). Being able to stand upright is another benefit (which limits to only a couple of genuses of great apes--Australopithecus and Homo).

It appears other species of Homo (erectus, heidelbergensis, neandertalensis) also had at least some abstract thought.

And where is this God you speak of? Look around, none is seen.
You're looking at the surface of the physical, in order to find the spiritual????
Try reading between the lines.

Bthoth

Well the Gods certainly didn't need us around. We're more of a nuisance to them really.

We stole fire and screwed ourselves in their eyes :)
And created a bunch of other ones too.

Mankind even made other people into gods. Just ask the pharaohs.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
...how is it possible that a creature created from stardust and protoplasm can comprehend a spiritual entity?
Might I just point out that you and those like you only CLAIM to "comprehend a spiritual entity." Nothing about what you write here suggests that you actually do, that it's anything more than your imagination.

ChieftheCef

God is Nothing (space-time) and Everything (including Space-time) all in one continuum. Even they cannot create a universe without themselves literally.

ChieftheCef

We are Gods too?

You don't think we are? Silly. Look at all the things We have accomplished.

Certainly no mere mortal can.
No, they did that. Pharoahs, Roman Emporers. And be they gods, I cannot tell because any God's name like Thor or Caesar are titles. The god that holds the titles like Atum, behind the titles is Nothing and Everything At The Same Time.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is the fool's errand to dismiss the One and Only God that all of us believe in, but that which fools deny.
Who's "all of us?"
Why should we believe; just 'cause we're told to? That would be the foolish course.
One no doubt lowers themself to the level of a gnat when presented with logic and reason yet refuses to embrace it. That sir, is you in a nutshell."
One is a fool when he ignores objective evidence; when he fails to use reason or logic, or recognize them when assessing evidence.
One is a fool when he believes with little or no evidence.