• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no evidence for God, so why do you believe?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
So since God will judge you and I, I think since I agree with God and walk in Spirit according to Galatians 5 and you disagree with God, reject Jesus Christ and walk according to your own way we will see who made the wise choice.

Well I don't share your superstitious beliefs of course, but my "path" finds slavery in any form morally repugnant, so if your belief has you remotely asserting the slavery described in Exodus 21 is morally justifiable, as I said, this says it all.

I know I’m a moral person and live a moral life so can you say the same? Again I don’t have a problem with Exodus 21.

You are justifying slavery, so we will have to disagree that you are a moral person.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
similarly according to your logic God doesn't know what's moral because today women have equal rights but Genesis shows that women were made helpers of men.

So the biblical deity doesn't know what is moral? Or are you saying the bible is unreliable? Or both?

You seem to have ignored my question?

similarly according to your logic God doesn't know what's moral because today women have equal rights but Genesis shows that women were made helpers of men.

Is that a question or a straw man you have created? I don't believe in any deity, and morals are subjective, but if you're asking me whether I think (subjectively) that biblical morals are in many ways redundant or even inferior to contemporary morality, then I'd have to say yes. Since I don't think stoning people to death, killing people for being gay, or slavery are ever morally justifiable.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
However given your earlier claim, you also have to accept that you are possessed by demons, if you don't think slavery as described in Exodus 21 is moral.

I also didn’t say possessed and since I agree with everything God has done you have no point or argument just more twisting scripture which is a tactic of the devil.

Firstly your using sophistry again, as you omitted the qualifying part of my sentence emboldened in red. Second you said "influenced by", I don't believe in superstition like demons nor therefore in demonic possession, use whatever term you are happy with, the point is you have already asserted your support for slavery of the kind described in Exodus 21, so your bare accusation though worthless, is pretty ironic. I have twisted nothing, just offered a reference of Exodus 21?

Last edited:

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I'm not saying anything, I asked you a question which has only one possible answer right? :)

Your claim was an inference I drew from he questions, and so I asked you a question, and no, there is not "only one answer" clearly. Now do you think slavery (such as the type endorsed in Exodus 21) is ever morally justifiable? Do you think slaves should just accept their enslavement?

For the record I don't, on both counts.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Not today, but in the historical context of that time slavery was perfectly acceptable.

So a deity whose morals are malleable then, and not perfect, which is where this exchange started, you can't have it both ways, either the bible is a moral guide, from an infallibly moral deity, or it is not.
You judge scriptures morally based on how people live today,

Of course, especially when people claim it is an infallible moral guide derived from an infallibly perfectly moral deity, as the narratives don't support this, if those morals date so badly in such a short time, and don't forget you do this as well, or are you saying that slavery, stoning people to death, ethnic cleansing, and sex trafficking prisoners, infanticide etc etc as described and endorsed in the bible are moral? Again you cannot have it both ways, obviously.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I think everything God does is right and moral. How many ways do I have to tell you that, 25-30?
Your moral endorsement of slavery, genocide, indiscriminate murder, infanticide, rape, ethnic cleansing, sex trafficking, global genocide, and many other biblical actions that are endorsed, perpetrated and encouraged by the biblical deity are duly noted. ;)

Your moral endorsement of slavery, genocide, indiscriminate murder, infanticide, rape, ethnic cleansing, sex trafficking, global genocide, and many other biblical actions that are endorsed, perpetrated and encouraged by the biblical deity are duly noted. ;)
That’s your take but not mine.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Now do you think slavery (such as the type endorsed in Exodus 21) is ever morally justifiable?
I think I already told you that in that time it was morally justifiable.
What was morally acceptable 5K years ago is a matter of history obviously.

Anything they are able, as slavery is the worst kind of moral turpitude.
Therefore according to you slaves should have fought for their freedom.
That is very stupid because they would certainly be killed.

I think you make one mistake regarding morality, which is that you assume that morality is about human rights but it is not, for ex:
according to your logic if one nation is attacked by another nation then that nation must not defend it self because it's immoral to kill people, defending requires killing someone.
But things don't work like this.

morality is tough subject, it's more about choosing lesser evil than choosing right.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Of course, especially when people claim it is an infallible moral guide derived from an infallibly perfectly moral deity, as the narratives don't support this, if those morals date so badly in such a short time, and don't forget you do this as well, or are you saying that slavery, stoning people to death, ethnic cleansing, and sex trafficking prisoners, infanticide etc etc as described and endorsed in the bible are moral? Again you cannot have it both ways, obviously.
You're abusing the bible obviously because it contains 2 "moral periods", one is ancient period of the Jews and the other is suited for modern way of life.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I think you make one mistake regarding morality, which is that you assume that morality is about human rights but it is not,

No I don't, this is simply another of your relentless straw men fallacies. Though my own subjective morality would want all humans to have the same rights, I don't assume anything.

according to your logic if one nation is attacked by another nation then that nation must not defend it self because it's immoral to kill people,

Here you go again, why don't you tell us your reasoning, and let me tell everyone mine ok...;) As that is a farcical and false straw man fallacy again.
morality is tough subject, it's more about choosing lesser evil than choosing right.

Why are you telling me this as if i don't know morality is subjective? I have said so many times, you are the one who believes in moral absolutes from a deity, not me.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
You're abusing the bible obviously because it contains 2 "moral periods", one is ancient period of the Jews and the other is suited for modern way of life.

No, you're simply missing the point about the claim the bible is divinely derived, from a deity with perfect morality, who you now imply needs two attempts to get it right, after claiming earlier you believed nothing it did was immoral. You don't seem to see the contradictions piling up. it's also your modus operandi to blame others, when they offer posts you have no cogent response to, as of course you have done here again.