• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no evidence for God, so why do you believe?

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
No I don't, this is simply another of your relentless straw men fallacies. Though my own subjective morality would want all humans to have the same rights, I don't assume anything.

Here you go again, why don't you tell us your reasoning, and let me tell everyone mine ok...;) As that is a farcical and false straw man fallacy again.

Why are you telling me this as if i don't know morality is subjective? I have said so many times, you are the one who believes in moral absolutes from a deity, not me.
no man, I'm not buying your rhetoric and philosophical judgement of my posts.

Morality described in the bible can not be judged based on morality today and what is normal today as if today is some perfect period.

No, you're simply missing the point about the claim the bible is divinely derived, from a deity with perfect morality, who you now imply needs two attempts to get it right, after claiming earlier you believed nothing it did was immoral. You don't seem to see the contradictions piling up. it's also your modus operandi to blame others, when they offer posts you have no cogent response to, as of course you have done here again.
and your only argument against morality in the bible is that morality of today is somehow superior but that's subjective.
What about teachings of Jesus, is morality of today superior to his teachings?

samtonga43

So you think slavery is ok? Well that clears that up, and you have lost your moral compass. This was inevitable when you claimed you either believed in all the nonsense of the bible, or were possessed by demons, talk about a false dichotomy.
Hi Sheldon; if you have time, and if you're interested, this lecture may help your understanding of the subject in question. It responds to the accusation that the Bible actively supports slavery.

Peter J. Williams examines the issue by explaining how biblical words connected with slavery in the Old and New Testament texts have been translated and how contemporary understandings of these words have changed over the years.

Does the Bible Support Slavery?

samtonga43

Every dying-and-rising god is different. Every death is different. Every resurrection is different. All irrelevant. The commonality is that there is a death and a resurrection. Everything else is a mixture of syncretized ideas from the borrowing and borrowed cultures, to produce a new and unique god and myth.
Osiris
Your apologetics article isn't using original sources for Osirus. Let's consult a historian:

"Not only does Plutarch say Osiris returned to life and was recreated, exact terms for resurrection (anabiôsis and paliggenesia: On Isis and Osiris 35; see my discussion in The Empty Tomb, pp. 154-55), and also describe his physically returning to earth after his death (Plutarch, On Isis and Osiris 19), but the physical resurrection of Osiris’s corpse is explicitly described in pre-Christian pyramid inscriptions! Osiris was also resurrected, according to Plutarch, on the “third day,” and died during a full moon, just like Christ: Passover occurs during the full moon; and in Plutarch, On Isis and Osiris 39 and 42, Osiris dies on the 17th of Athyr, the concluding day of the full moon, and is raised on the 19th, two days later—thus three days inclusively, just like Jesus.....
And that’s just Osiris. Clearly raised from the dead in his original, deceased body, restored to life; visiting people on earth in his risen body; and then ruling from heaven above. And that directly adjacent to Judea, amidst a major Jewish population in Alexandria, and popular across the whole empire. But as Plutarch said in On the E at Delphi 9, many religions of his day “narrate deaths and vanishings, followed by returns to life and resurrections.” Not just that one. Plutarch names Dionysus as but an example (and by other names “Zagreus, Nyctelius, and Isodaetes“). And we know for a fact this Dionysus wasn’t the only example Plutarch would have known. Plutarch only names him because he was so closely associated with Osiris, and the most famous.

Dying-and-Rising Gods: It's Pagan, Guys. Get Over It. • Richard Carrier

And another point of view to consider:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
no such thing as 45000 sects, or anything close to that number. if that's your (poor) argument then at least get the figure right. The only question is, are you able to learn the correct figure?

The correct figure isn't relevant to the argument. the Catholics, the Quakers, the Mormons, the Jehovah's Witnesses are all variations of Christianity that have almost no resemblance to one another. Just four variations makes the case, radically different spin-offs of one another based in the same source.

in the historical context of that time slavery was perfectly acceptable. You judge scriptures morally based on how people live today, but what matters is how people lived then, and what was morally acceptable then, not now.

Then your Bible is not a fit moral guide by humanist standards, which is what skeptics have been saying for centuries.

What makes you think that 2022 is morally superior to 3500 B.C?

Several centuries of humanist influence have modified biblical morality for the better. What do you suppose explains the difference between western culture and Islamic cultures that tolerate theocracy, pushing homosexuals off of towers, burning people alive in cages, cutting off hands, honor killings, and the like. The former have had the benefit of Enlightenment values. Where do you think Christian culture would be today without them? Ideas such as freedom of religion don't come out the Bible. The Bible seems to be unaware of democracy, or, as you noted, that slavery is immoral.

like you said, morality is subjective. Therefore trust God because his word has been tried many times over.

Trust God? The one that has no problem with slavery, that orders genocides, and is homophobic? Biblical morality is inadequate. You've nearly said as much yourself with your 'that was then, this is now' comments. I think the 'God is perfect and his morality absolute and timeless' ship has sailed, but I expect Christian apologists to continue to make the claim as you have whenever it seems expedient, and then toggle over to the 'that was then, this is now' when that seems useful, either never noticing the inconsistency or not caring.

Morality described in the bible can not be judged based on morality today and what is normal today as if today is some perfect period.

Straw man. Nobody is calling today a perfect moral period, just one considerably improved compared to biblical times. And that morality can be compared to modernity. Humanists acknowledge that humanity progresses morally through the process of rational ethics, which applies reason to moral intuitions such as the Golden Rule and can arrive at conclusions not available to biblical students such as that slavery is immoral. But Christians tell us that their deity's morality is perfect and timeless. So which is it?

I think everything God does is right and moral.

And there it is - God's timeless and perfect morality. Did you forget that we're in the 'that was then, this is now' mode now to deal with the inconvenient truth of biblical morality?

Incidentally, what you've paraphrased is divine command theory, which defines right and wrong according to the words, deeds, and perceived will of the deity. This is a particularly dangerous doctrine, because it allows anybody to justify any act as immoral if someone can convince them or of they choose to believe that it is God's will, and why Weinberg quipped, "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. For good people to do evil things, it takes religion."

Look at what it did to Mother Teresa: "There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ's Passion. The world gains much from their suffering." and "You are suffering like Christ on the cross. So Jesus must be kissing you." And this woman ran hospices, which outside of Christianity are places for treating the suffering of the dying, not equating it with kisses. Here was an example of a good person doing evil under the influence of her religion.

That’s your take but not mine.

He wrote, "Your moral endorsement of slavery, genocide, indiscriminate murder, infanticide, rape, ethnic cleansing, sex trafficking, global genocide, and many other biblical actions that are endorsed, perpetrated and encouraged by the biblical deity are duly noted." It's my take, too. You just wrote that everything God does is moral, and those are some of the things God is said to have done or commanded.

He wrote, "Your moral endorsement of slavery, genocide, indiscriminate murder, infanticide, rape, ethnic cleansing, sex trafficking, global genocide, and many other biblical actions that are endorsed, perpetrated and encouraged by the biblical deity are duly noted." It's my take, too. You just wrote that everything God does is moral, and those are some of the things God is said to have done or commanded.
God is righteous and just to do whatever He wants, I don’t question what laws He made in Exodus 21. I also don’t question when He took out ungodly people. I don’t have all the information to make that judgement, apparently you do so you can say whatever you want and answer to God for your comments.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Then your Bible is not a fit moral guide by humanist standards, which is what skeptics have been saying for centuries.
The bible contains 2 morals, one historical, OT, and one that is eternal - that is teaching of Jesus, I wonder how is that you don't know that?

Several centuries of humanist influence have modified biblical morality for the better. What do you suppose explains the difference between western culture and Islamic cultures that tolerate theocracy, pushing homosexuals off of towers, burning people alive in cages, cutting off hands, honor killings, and the like. The former have had the benefit of Enlightenment values. Where do you think Christian culture would be today without them? Ideas such as freedom of religion don't come out the Bible. The Bible seems to be unaware of democracy, or, as you noted, that slavery is immoral.
western society is influenced by new testament and Christianity, not conversely.

Trust God? The one that has no problem with slavery, that orders genocides, and is homophobic? Biblical morality is inadequate.
I see you're ignorant of the bible, are you able to distinguish NT from OT and morality of the 2?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don’t question what laws He made in Exodus 21. I also don’t question when He took out ungodly people.

You didn't need to say that. On another thread, I was commenting on faith not being a virtue or a path to truth, and that faith by definition is unexamined. Your comment is consistent with that.

The bible contains 2 morals, one historical, OT, and one that is eternal - that is teaching of Jesus, I wonder how is that you don't know that?

How many gods are giving these two sets of morals?

Of course the Bible has evolving morals. It was written over centuries by men pretending to speak for a deity. People evolve, but gods Abrahamic don't. I wonder how is that you don't know that:

Top 13 Bible Verses-God Never Changes - Everyday Servant

western society is influenced by new testament and Christianity, not conversely.

Wrong. I wonder how is that you don't know that. I've already explained that the main difference between Islamic and Christian communities is the civilizing influence of humanism on the latter. Look at all of these similarities:
  • Christians and Muslims each revere a Semitic desert god, Yahweh and Allah, that is an angry, petty, vengeful, jealous, judgmental, prudish, strongman that requires worship and submission.
  • Believers of both attend temples (Mosques or churches) and obey paternalistic, misogynisitic clergy.
  • Both religions embrace magical thinking, mythology, dogma, the supernatural, and ritual.
  • Each feature demons angels, prayer, an afterlife, a judgment, and a system of reward and punishment after death.
  • Each has its now centuries old holy book of internal contradictions, failed prophecies, and errors of history and science. I'm not as sure about the Qur'an, but it likely also contain vengeance, hatred, tribalism, violence, and failed morals that endorse slavery, rape, infanticide, and incest.
  • They each think they have the right to determine who should be allowed to diddle whom how, who should be able to marry whom, and what women must do regarding their bodies.
  • Both are patriarchal, authoritarian, misogynistic, sexually repressive, anhedonisitic, atheophobic, homophobic, antiscientiific, use psychological terrorism on their children, have violent histories featuring torture, genocide and terrorism, and demand obedience and submission.
  • Each consider faith a virtue and reason a problem.
  • Each has a history of opposing human rights and science.
  • Each advocates theocracy over democracy.
I realize that Christians chafe at the suggestion, but these are essentially the same religion with a few doctrinal differences of no significance to unbelievers, who don't care that only one of these deities allegedly sent a son to earth, for example, or that only one allegedly raises the dead. With all of these similarities - and that is a lot of parallels, most not found elsewhere - why should these two appear so differently where they are rendered if not for the reason I just gave?

As we saw, the difference between religion in America and in the Middle East is not due to the differences in the holy books of Christianity and Islam. If you traded the ideologies out, and had put Christianity in Saudi Arabia and Islam in America, the results would be the same in reverse: Christian Arabs unexposed to humanism cutting off hands and heads, pushing homosexuals off of Towers, doing honor killings, genital mutilation, suicide bombings, and flying buildings into airplanes, and Americans going door to door asking if you know Mohammed. America would still be a secular state with a Muslim majority forced to tolerate "infidels" thanks to humanist values, and Saudi would still be a brutal, intolerant theocracy, but a Christian one instead.

And yes, Christianity has also influenced Western culture, but principally before the advent of humanism.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Your moral endorsement of slavery, genocide, indiscriminate murder, infanticide, rape, ethnic cleansing, sex trafficking, global genocide, and many other biblical actions that are endorsed, perpetrated and encouraged by the biblical deity are duly noted. ;)

Yes, indeed, the God of the Bible is a barbaric, vengeful, psychopathic, sadistic, bloodthirsty, genocidal monster who is undeniably guilty of crimes against humanity and global genocide. He is not the loving, merciful heavenly father that Christians claim he is.

Last edited:

joelr

Likewise you could say "present evidence against Darwin and his theory".

I'm not denying that Persia influenced Israel, it did that's not a secret.
but claim that Zoroastrianism is older than Judaism just doesn't hold.

I have no idea what you are talking about and for the 2nd time you made a wildly incorrect statement and gave zero sources?
Mary Boyce is by far the expert on the Persian religion. Her dates ffor the prophet are 1600 B.C. BUT her dates for the actual religion are FAR OLDER.
"
The language of the Gathas is archaic, and close to that of the Rigveda (whose composition has been assigned to about 1 700 B. c. onwards); and the picture of the world to be gained from them is correspon,dingly ancient, that of a Stone Age society. "

As I posted from archaeologist William Dever, which is echoes by the field, the earliest mention of Israel is 1200B.C. but they were just forming a nation and had recently left Canaanite culture. That's it? Just because 600 years later they write some myths about ancient people who spoke to their God doesn't make it true? They were not a people back then, they were Canaanites? Early Israel was polytheistic and even took the Canaanite Goddess Ashera as the consort to Yahweh who was just a warrior deity at that time.
Israel may have emerged around 1200 B.C. but Judaism took a few centuries to get going. Genesis is believed to have been written around 6 B.C.
So there is no possible way Judaism is older?
In history when a culture comes up with a myth about a person who lived millenia before they were a civilization, IT'S A STORY? There has to be actual evidence of Israelites and Yahweh worship before 1200 and there isn't. There is evidence of those people having a small scale civilization on Canaanite towns which makes sense because that is where they came from. Those were the first. They not only came from Canaanites but they still used that theology for the first centuries.

After 13 books and a year in the field she gets the last word on Zoroastrianism. That word is "stone age".

Nora Elisabeth Mary Boyce (2 August 1920 – 4 April 2006) was a British scholar of Iranian languages, and an authority on Zoroastrianism. She was Professor of Iranian Studies at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) of the University of London.[1] The Royal Asiatic Society's annual Boyce Prize for outstanding contributions to the study of religion is named after her.

In 1963–64, Boyce spent a research year among orthodox Zoroastrians of the 24 villages of Yazd, Iran. The results of her research there were formative to her understanding of Zoroastrianism and she discovered that much of the previously established scholarship on the ancient faith was terribly misguided. In 1975, Boyce presented the results of her research at her Ratanbai Katrak lecture series at Oxford University. In the same year she published the first volume of her magnum opus, The History of Zoroastrianism, which appeared in the monograph series Handbuch der Orientalistik (Leiden:Brill). Her Ratanbai Katrak lecture series were published in 1977 as A Persian Stronghold of Zoroastrianism.

In 1979, Boyce published Zoroastrians: Their Religious Beliefs and Practices, which not only summarised her previous publications (in particular volume 1 of History), but anthologised the role of Zoroastrianism during subsequent eras as well. This was followed by volume 2 of History of Zoroastrianism in 1982 (also as a part of the Orientalistik monograph series), and volume 3 in 1991 which she co-authored with Frantz Grenet. In 1992, she published Zoroastrianism: Its Antiquity and Constant Vigour as part of the Columbia Lectures on Iranian Studies which she had delivered there in 1985.

Selected works[edit]
  • 1954, The Manichaean hymn-cycles in Parthian (London Oriental Series, Vol. 3). London: Oxford University Press.
  • 1975, A History of Zoroastrianism, Vol. 1 (Handbuch der Orientalistik Series). Leiden: Brill; Repr. 1996 as A History of Zoroastrianism: Vol 1, The Early Period.
  • 1977, Zoroastrianism: The rediscovery of missing chapters in man's religious history (Teaching aids for the study of Inner Asia). Asian Studies Research Institute: Indiana University Press.
  • 1977, A Persian Stronghold of Zoroastrianism. London: Oxford University Press; Repr. 2001
  • 1978, A Reader in Manichaean Middle Persian and Parthian (Acta Iranica Monograph Series). Leiden: Brill.
  • 1979, Zoroastrians: Their Religious Beliefs and Practices (Library of religious beliefs and practices). London:Routledge/Kegan Paul; Corrected repr. 1984; repr. with new foreword 2001.
  • 1982, A History of Zoroastrianism, Vol. 2 (Handbuch der Orientalistik Series). Leiden: Brill. Repr. 1996 as "A History of Zoroastrianism: Vol 2, Under the Achaemenians".
  • 1984, Textual Sources for the Study of Zoroastrianism (Textual Sources for the Study of Religion). London:Rowman & Littlefield. Repr. 1990
  • 1987, Zoroastrianism: A Shadowy but Powerful Presence in the Judaeo-Christian World. Friends of Dr. Williams: London.
  • 1988, "The religion of Cyrus the Great", in A. Kuhrt and H. Sancisi-Weerdenburg Achaemenid History III: Method and Theory, Leiden: Brill.
  • 1991, A History of Zoroastrianism: Vol. 3, Zoroastrianism Under Macedonian and Roman Rule (Handbuch der Orientalistik Series). With Frantz Grenet, Leiden: Brill.
  • 1992, Zoroastrianism: Its Antiquity and Constant Vigour (Columbia Lectures on Iranian Studies, No 7). Costa Mesa: Mazda.
  • Forthcoming: A History of Zoroastrianism: Vols 4–7, under the editorship of Albert de Jong.

joelr

Except it did bring death because we all die. Jesus conquered death and why I’m not fearful anymore, I’ve passed from death to life (eternal life).

Well Genesis is 100% a known myth. Eden is a borrowed myth. The actual evidence is that all species die. It's why we have bones from ancient humans and millions of years of hominid fossils as well. So no, that story didn't cause death. Whomever is telling you these things is telling you ancient legends.

Yes Jesus conquered death. All of the previous savior demigods did as well. That's because Hellenism influenced all of the religions in that area. They all had a son/daughter of God who died and resurrected and passed that onto followers.
Still not real.

Greek Hellenism
-his led to a change from concern for a religion of national prosperity to one for individual salvation, from focus on a particular ethnic group to concern for every human. The prophet or saviour replaced the priest and king as the chief religious figure.
Petra Pakken has a great book explaining the Hellenistic wave that spread through all the local religions. Judaism was the last to have a savior.

[/QUOTE]
“Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham. Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.”[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know, religions have scripture. Islam has scripture that says christians and Jews are liers and will suffer an awful fate. Except words in a book are just that. The things they describe are no more real than words in Lord of the Rings.

Repentance
And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah. That is their saying with their mouths. They imitate the saying of those who disbelieved of old. Allah (Himself) fighteth against them. How perverse are they!

31 They have taken as lords beside Allah their rabbis and their monks and the Messiah son of Mary, when they were bidden to worship only One God. There is no God save Him. Be He Glorified from all that they ascribe as partner (unto Him)!

32 Fain would they put out the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah disdaineth (aught) save that He shall perfect His light, however much the disbelievers are averse.

‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭2:14-18‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
It’s interesting that you bring up Mesopotamia because that’s where God first appeared to Abraham. Acts 7 is the summary by Stephen.

Again, that's what a story says. Those stories are not actually real. Mesopotamia is largely where Genesis is borrowed from.

What’s your hope? Who are you trusting in?
What’s your strength?
There are many sources of strength. Even fiction can inspire and give people ideals to live to. Most of the heroes journey stories have a hero who follows virtues and morals and overcomes hardship.
Your question about trust and hope is related to apologetics and dogma you have been told. Buying into a story doesn't make it real.
Mixing up hope, strength and trust into a legend demonstrates why you are so stuck on following claims.

I don’t see anything you’ve shared so far as based in truth, I’m wondering what your motives are.

My motives are to support critical thinking. This sounds like you are in denial. You now have to introduce a conspiracy theory that the entire biblical historicity and archaeology field who demonstrate the myths are found in older cultures and the archaeological evidence doesn't support the stories are somehow wrong? Yet you cannot produce any evidence that that is true except to quote an ancient myth?

Now please tell me how a Biblical archaeologist who is simply reporting on the actual evidence that has been accumulated by all archaeologists working on this? How does reporting facts make something "not based in truth"??? Explain that. Archaeologists looking at the evidence and historians looking at the evidence and see that "and much of the Bible is deeply suspect as a work of history. ". And "the earlier parts are clearly mythical, ".
Your evidence is basically denial. Meanwhile billions in Islam say the same about their non-evidence religion. So can billions of people be wrong? Yes.

"
According to the Bible, the Israelites descended from a guy named Jacob, who later changed his name to Israel after a fight with God, hence "Israelite".[1] The same book also says that they were slaves in Egypt for 400+ years, then escaped to Canaan (but only after wandering the desert for 40 years) where they fiercely conquered the Canaanites just for living there. There is zero archaeological evidence for any of this.[2] ( William G. Dever)

Research suggests that the Israelites were Canaanites who gradually gave themselves a separate identity after escaping to the highlands of Israel due to the destruction of the Canaanite coastal cities in the Late Bronze Age collapse
12px-Wikipedia%27s_W.svg.png

Most knowledge of their history comes from the Bible, and much of the Bible is deeply suspect as a work of history. While the earlier parts are clearly mythical, most people assume that around 1000 BCE, the Israelites lived in a single kingdom ruled by David and then his son Solomon who built the legendary temple (there is some question over the historicity of David, and Solomon's wealth and territory may have been somewhat exaggerated; see their articles).[3]

Seems you base your world view on what some unbelieving scholars say while dismissing the many biblical scholars.

First of all you posted an article by a chemistry teacher. Second theologians begin their studies ASSUMING that these stories are real. They have no interest in learning about the actual history or considering that these are just complete Greek, Persian and Roman myths. They made a descision to just jump in, they want it to be true and they are basically covering their ears and eyes and simply demanding it's true. They study scripture as if it's true and making a huge assumption the the evidence might back it up. It doesn't. Not for Islam, not for your religion either.
I base my view on what the evidence is.
You have not given any evidence? Everything you have said can also be said by a Muslim or Mormon?
Scripture is already unbelievable, the stories are complete fiction and have zero evidence. But then it can be shown where all the theology actually comes from and it's from cultures who were either invading or right next to Israel.
Historicity scholars are not basing their work on belief OR unbelief? That point is random and meaningless?
They just do history, they report on evidence?

I HAVE STUDIED THEOLOGIANS. Their stance is it's true because it says so. Is that a reliable method? So Islam is true?

But, you have blatantly ignored ACTUAL BIBLICAL SCHOLARS as well. I have sourced several Christian scholars. So you are all over the place here, no evidence, clearly just believing and repeating claims and have never actually tried to understand if your beliefs are actually supported by evidence. You just have defense mechanisms and ways to use denial.

You talk down about my "worldview" after posting evidence on the Bible from a chemistry teacher??? Wow the irony?

Personally, I get my views from my Creator and not from people.

Uh, no, you have used mostly apologetics that are incredibly illogical and those were thought up by other people.
A bunch of myths from an Iron Age culture is not "God" either. Mark was also not "God", he was a writer in the Greek style of fiction and just about everything he came up with was from an older source. The theology was already being taught by Hilell the Elder but we can assume there was another Rabbi teacher named Jesus. I'm pretty sure you cherry pick those views as well.
Unless you think we should take slaves, women and children as plunder of war, no speaking to non-believers, women remain silent in church and so on.

Last edited:

joelr

Sorry, joel, having compared the opinions of each of these men on each other, and the way these opinions are presented, I am more impressed with Ehrman's scholarly opinion than with that of Carrier.
It is not Ehrman who, in Carrier's words, "certainly needs to learn".
Carrier has demonstrated Ehrman making errors. This isn't about opinions, it's about evidence. which evidence is Carrier missing or getting wrong? For what reason are you more impressed with Ehrman?

joelr

Jesus is God, Eternal, became a man and dwelled among us, died and rose from the dead to redeem mankind. (He is not a created being)

So did all the savior demigods. Yet none are real. Oh look, the Persian God (who influenced Judaism and the creation of christianity) was also uncreated, even before Yahweh!

God

t Zoroaster went much further, and in a startling departure from accepted beliefs proclaimed Ahura Mazda to be the one uncreated God, existing eternally, and Creator of all else that is good, including all other beneficent divinities.

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:1-5, 14‬ ‭NKJV‬‬‬‬

Perfect quote, goes right to my point. The "word made flesh" is not original but taken from Greek Platonic theology. This is all made up and borrowed.

"
Hellenistic thought is evident in the narratives which make up the books of the Bible as the Hebrew Scriptures were revised and canonized during the Second Temple Period (c.515 BCE-70 CE), the latter part of which was during the Hellenic Period of the region. The gospels and epistles of the Christian New Testament were written in Greek and draw on Greek philosophy and religion as, for example, in the first chapter of the Gospel of John in which the word becomes flesh, a Platonic concept."

The Hellenistic World: The World of Alexander the Great

There is no dual creation theory, 1Cor. 15 is talking about the resurrection of the dead where believers in Christ put off the corruptible and put on the incorruptible. There is the old man of the flesh and a new man in the Spirit, this is being born again.
“So also is the resurrection of the dead. The body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption. It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power. It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven. As was the man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust; and as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man.”
‭‭I Corinthians‬ ‭15:42-49‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Also good. The Hebrews encountered this around 5 B.C. in the Persian myths during the occupation. 500 years later it has become part of a new branch of Judaism. See, it's the mythology that was going around.

"
This general resurrection will be followed by the Last Judgment, which will divide all the righteous from the wicked,......
which will confer immortality on the resurrected bodies of all the blessed, who will partake of it. Thereafter men will beome like the Immortals themselves, of one thought, word and deed, unaging, free from sickness, without corruption, forever joyful in the kingdom of God upon earth. For it is in this familiar and beloved world, restored to its original perfection, that, according to Zoroaster, eternity will be passed in bliss, and not in a remote insubstantial Paradise."

Mary Boyce

joelr

And another point of view to consider:

First this is WLC, not a historical expert on that time period or any time period? Why would you post a theologian apologist and say this is an opinion to consider? He isn't sourcing anything? Do you watch quantum physics lectures and then look for 2nd opinions by electritions?
But there is another problem, and this is common in apologetics. People hear WLC spu an answer and think the matter is closed. He is a liar. What is his first point? The people who say this never give sources.
So we have no original sources for Osirus in the link I provided? Did you even just skim the link to see if Carrier sourced what he was saying about Osirus? Did you even listen to WLC to see his complaint is BS? Did you do anything related to actual honest exchange? No. You just wrote" consider this".........

I don't understand this apologetics thing where expert historians just report historical information and then an unqualified apologist who is clearly butthurt by the implications and is basically going into denial, why is that a "point to consider"?? Why can't you find another expert in Osirus? Carrier went to the writings of Plutarch and the Pyramid Texts, using translations from the most recent translation of James P. Allen, a specialist in the text.

Let's see, do you see any sources????????????????
Not only does Plutarch say Osiris returned to life and was recreated, exact terms for resurrection (anabiôsis and paliggenesia: On Isis and Osiris 35; see my discussion in The Empty Tomb, pp. 154-55), and also describe his physically returning to earth after his death (Plutarch, On Isis and Osiris 19), but the physical resurrection of Osiris’s corpse is explicitly described in pre-Christian pyramid inscriptions! Osiris was also resurrected, according to Plutarch, on the “third day,” and died during a full moon, just like Christ: Passover occurs during the full moon; and in Plutarch, On Isis and Osiris 39 and 42, Osiris dies on the 17th of Athyr, the concluding day of the full moon, and is raised on the 19th, two days later—thus three days inclusively, just like Jesus.

Plutarch writes that “Osiris came to Horus from the other world and exercised and trained him for the battle,” and taught him lessons, and then “Osiris consorted with Isis after his death and she became the mother of Harpocrates.” It’s hard to get more explicit than that. Contrary to Ehrman, there is no mention of Osiris not being in his resurrected body at that point. To the contrary, every version of his myth has him revive only after Isis reassembles and reanimates his corpse. As Plutarch says, “the soul of Osiris is everlasting and imperishable, but his body Typhon oftentimes dismembers and causes to disappear, and that Isis wanders hither and yon in her search for it, and fits it together again” (On Isis and Osiris 54).

And indeed, carved on the walls of the pyramids centuries before Christianity began were the declarations of the goddess Isis (or Horus, or their agents), “I have come to thee…that I may revivify thee, that I may assemble for thee thy bones, that I may collect for thee thy flesh, that I may assemble for thee thy dismembered limbs…raise thyself up, king, [as for] Osiris; thou livest!” (Pyramid Texts 1684a-1685a and 1700, = Utterance 606; cf. Utterance 670); “Raise thyself up; shake off thy dust; remove the dirt which is on thy face; loose thy bandages!” (Pyramid Texts 1363a-b, = Utterance 553); “[As for] Osiris, collect thy bones; arrange thy limbs; shake off thy dust; untie thy bandages; the tomb is open for thee; the double doors of the coffin are undone for thee; the double doors of heaven are open for thee…thy soul is in thy body…raise thyself up!” (Pyramid Texts 207b-209a and 2010b-2011a, = Utterance 676). That sure sounds like a physical resurrection of Osiris’s body to me. (As even confirmed by the most recent translation of James P. Allen, cf. pp. 190, 224-25, 272. The spells he clarifies are sung to and about the resident Pharaoh, but in the role of Osiris, receiving the same resurrection as Osiris, e.g. “there has been done for me what was done for my father Osiris on the day of tying bones together, of making functional the feet,” “do for him that which you did for his brother Osiris on the day,” etc.)

Plutarch goes on to explicitly state that this resurrection on earth (set in actual earth history) in the same body he died in (reassembled and restored to life) was the popular belief, promoted in allegorical tales by the priesthood—as was also the god’s later descent to rule Hades. But the secret “true” belief taught among the initiated priesthood was that Osiris becomes incarnate, dies, and rises back to life every year in a secret cosmic battle in the sublunar heavens. So in fact, contrary to Ehrman (who evidently never actually read any of the sources on this point), Plutarch says the belief that Osiris went to Hades was false (On Isis and Osiris 78); and yet even in that “public” tale, Osiris rules in Hades in his old body of flesh, restored to life. Hence still plainly resurrected. But as Plutarch explains (On Isis and Osiris 25-27 & 54 and 58), the esoteric truth was that the god’s death and resurrection occurs in sublunar space, after each year descending and taking on a mortal body to die in; and that event definitely involved coming back to life in a new superior body, in which Osiris ascends to a higher realm to rule from above, all exactly as was said of the risen Jesus (who no more remained on earth than Osiris did). The only difference is that when importing this into Judaism, which had not a cyclical-eternal but a linear-apocalyptic conception of theological history, they converted the god’s dying-and-rising to a singular apocalyptic event.

And that’s just Osiris. Clearly raised from the dead in his original, deceased body, restored to life; visiting people on earth in his risen body; and then ruling from heaven above. And that directly adjacent to Judea, amidst a major Jewish population in Alexandria, and popular across the whole empire. But as Plutarch said in On the E at Delphi 9, many religions of his day “narrate deaths and vanishings, followed by returns to life and resurrections.” Not just that one. Plutarch names Dionysus as but an example (and by other names “Zagreus, Nyctelius, and Isodaetes“). And we know for a fact this Dionysus wasn’t the only example Plutarch would have known. Plutarch only names him because he was so closely associated with Osiris, and the most famous.

Last edited:

joelr

I see you're ignorant of the bible, are you able to distinguish NT from OT and morality of the 2?

Sorry, not a chance. The 10 commandments, original sin and much theology from the OT is not considered "historical".
When is the last time any Christian ever said "oh the 10 commandments, no those are just historical, not eternal."

Besides there was no time when owning another person as property (and their children) was moral. Non-Hebrew slavery had no rights and was permanent.
Hebrew slaves could go free after 7 years but if the master gave the slave a wif/children and the slave wanted to keep his family he had to become a permanent slave.

The morals in the NT are actually worse. Here we see eternal punishment and hell and complete denial of religious freedom and thought.
Western society is not influenced at all by any of this. We have no slaves, religious freedom, non-believers can be spoken to, women can speak in church, we covet our neighbor (capitalism), sex without marriage is common, even most Christians non longer believe in hell, we don't love our enemy or turn the cheek. We are judgmental, everyone. Gay people are accepted - except for some fundamentalists in religion who don't. Paul says don't get married, I could list tings all day that our culture no longer accepts as good morals from scripture. Don't worry about food, clothes or the future, don't have treasures on Earth, don't pray in public (sermon on the mount)

Our culture is much more Greek philosophy based.

Also regarding OT law - even Jesus says it's still valid?
"
6]
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

That's funny, 2 moralities? As if there was a time where it was ok to own a "heathen" slave? Just because cosmopolitan (they intentionally cross social borders of race, culture, nation, wealth, or even gender) was from Hellenism and ended up in Christianity doesn't mean it wasn't still true before Christianity????
That's hilarious, as if those things were ok, it was fine to have slaves and be closed to other races then suddenly when Hellenism and Judaism mix THEN it's a cosmic change in morality. Like in Lord of the Rings when Middle Earth suddenly entered a new age and became round instead of flat??
2 moralities.......HA!

No slaves shouldn't revolt, a God of the nation (who wasn't yet supreme because that is more Hellenism) could tell the people that slavery and ownership of people is immoral. Stop and give them jobs and treat them like normal people. Non-Hebrew slaves had no rights, no end. That is full slavery. HE shouldn't say "Aquire your slaves from the heathen around you..." but "stop slavery", the end.
But it wasn't written by a God, it was just people and they wanted slaves so they pretended God said whatever they needed.

2 moralities............?

Last edited:

joelr

And my answer is that 2022 isn't morally superior to 3500 B.C. which is according to your logic not wrong since morality is subjective.
Therefore God knows what is moral.

3500B.C.????
Nope. They were Canaanites, Israelites by 1000 B.C.
Leading Biblical archaeologist, William Dever

According to the Bible, the Israelites descended from a guy named Jacob, who later changed his name to Israel after a fight with God, hence "Israelite".[1] The same book also says that they were slaves in Egypt for 400+ years, then escaped to Canaan (but only after wandering the desert for 40 years) where they fiercely conquered the Canaanites just for living there. There is zero archaeological evidence for any of this.[2] ( William G. Dever)

Research suggests that the Israelites were Canaanites who gradually gave themselves a separate identity after escaping to the highlands of Israel due to the destruction of the Canaanite coastal cities in the Late Bronze Age collapse
12px-Wikipedia%27s_W.svg.png

Most knowledge of their history comes from the Bible, and much of the Bible is deeply suspect as a work of history. While the earlier parts are clearly mythical, most people assume that around 1000 BCE, the Israelites lived in a single kingdom ruled by David and then his son Solomon who built the legendary temple (there is some question over the historicity of David, and Solomon's wealth and territory may have been somewhat exaggerated; see their articles).[3]

So did all the savior demigods. Yet none are real. Oh look, the Persian God (who influenced Judaism and the creation of christianity) was also uncreated, even before Yahweh!

God

t Zoroaster went much further, and in a startling departure from accepted beliefs proclaimed Ahura Mazda to be the one uncreated God, existing eternally, and Creator of all else that is good, including all other beneficent divinities.

Perfect quote, goes right to my point. The "word made flesh" is not original but taken from Greek Platonic theology. This is all made up and borrowed.

"
Hellenistic thought is evident in the narratives which make up the books of the Bible as the Hebrew Scriptures were revised and canonized during the Second Temple Period (c.515 BCE-70 CE), the latter part of which was during the Hellenic Period of the region. The gospels and epistles of the Christian New Testament were written in Greek and draw on Greek philosophy and religion as, for example, in the first chapter of the Gospel of John in which the word becomes flesh, a Platonic concept."

The Hellenistic World: The World of Alexander the Great

Also good. The Hebrews encountered this around 5 B.C. in the Persian myths during the occupation. 500 years later it has become part of a new branch of Judaism. See, it's the mythology that was going around.

"
This general resurrection will be followed by the Last Judgment, which will divide all the righteous from the wicked,......
which will confer immortality on the resurrected bodies of all the blessed, who will partake of it. Thereafter men will beome like the Immortals themselves, of one thought, word and deed, unaging, free from sickness, without corruption, forever joyful in the kingdom of God upon earth. For it is in this familiar and beloved world, restored to its original perfection, that, according to Zoroaster, eternity will be passed in bliss, and not in a remote insubstantial Paradise."

Mary Boyce
The point is the source you are using doesn’t even know the meaning of the Scriptures and misinterpreted the verses. Then you try to say they’re the same and not even close.
You said Jesus was created and He is not but the Creator, that is all through the Bible.
There is no dual creation theory either, mortal puts on immortality for believers in Christ.
There have always been false God’s and counterfeits, that’s who you are showing with your source.
Doesn’t sound like you’ve ever read or understood the Bible, neither has your source. Why would you take someone else’s ideas and interpretations instead of checking them for yourself.
I would like someone who disagrees with Christianity to actually properly interpret the Scriptures, haven’t found that person, all make claims but fall short.
So I’m not asking where you think the narrative of the Bible comes from or any of that but taking the Bible as written, do you understand the message from Genesis to Revelation?The different covenants God made, what they mean for today. Do you understand the New Covenant that Jesus made at the Passover before He was crucified?

Last edited: