• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It would seem to me that this term has many different meanings to different people. Nevertheless, in Biblical terms, it would describe a group of people who recognize and practice the Laws, rituals and covenant that Moses received from God on Mount Sinai.
Would it also include those who descended from these people, regardless of whether they recognize and practice those Laws, rituals and covenant themselves?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It would seem to me that this term has many different meanings to different people. Nevertheless, in Biblical terms, it would describe a group of people who recognize and practice the Laws, rituals and covenant that Moses received from God on Mount Sinai.

...and who were descended from Moses's people. It wasn't enough just to follow those laws, you also had to be born into their tribe to truly be a Jew.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Why have atheists stooped to emulating the worst practices of religion? Indeed, the very practices they (rightfully) revile and condemn? :confused:

They're no worse than the religious ones. However, it's symptomatic of getting down in the muck with the worst of theism. :(
Oh, religion has much worse practices than ads on buses.

9-11%20%281%29.bmp

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I think its time for a new Internet law, so I am proposing the following:

Jacob's Law
"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving September 11th or Religious Fanatics approaches one."

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Heres another,
Reductio ad Fanticum
Essentially take this page and replace the words "Hitler" and "Nazi" with "Religious Fanatics" and "Religion", respectively.

challupa

And the title of this discussion was....? How did it get so far from :"There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life." Just curious...

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Regardless, though, the point is that a Jew who doesn't believe in God (whether or not you consider him a Jew at that point) doesn't practice the religion of Judaism, and is therefore irrelevant to a conversation about that religion.
I'll be sure and let my atheist Jewish friends know that they are not practicing Jews, even tho they observe shabbat every week. :sarcastic

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I'll be sure and let my atheist Jewish friends know that they are not practicing Jews, even tho they observe shabbat every week. :sarcastic

I'm on your side here, half my Jewish friends love bacon. They're Jews for the sake of traditional family gatherings, other than that, they couldn't care less.

gnomon

If you define religion as that which has supernatural elements, you exclude systems that are religious and include supernatural beliefs that are not religious.

By your definition, seances and "crystal therapy" are "religion" while UU, religious humanism, and certain branches of Buddhism are not.

I'll politely say that definition does not work for me.

I know plenty of religious atheists. I sit in the pews with them every week.

In fact, I was just chatting on Second Life with a atheist UU and mentioned this particular argument on RF. She had no trouble agreeing that she is religious even tho she rejects all "supernatural" beliefs, and that religion isn't about that at all, but rather about what you value most.

I know there are religious atheists. I've always maintained that. It's just the popular usage of the term in the media implies atheism as irreligious. The term is losing cohesive meaning.

I also maintain that stating everyone practices a religion removes any cohesive meaning from the term. I'm not going to say you're wrong, either.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I also maintain that stating everyone practices a religion removes any cohesive meaning from the term. I'm not going to say you're wrong, either.
So does stating that everyone breaths remove any cohesive meaning from the term breathing?

The definition does not remove cohesion. Rather, what it does is cause the cohesion to hinge on a different paradigm. IMO, a much more useful paradigm.

Are we agreed that defining religion as belief in the supernatural is not an adequate definition, as it includes things that should be excluded and excludes things that should be included?

I would make the same argument for the dictionary definition of religion as a "set of beliefs and practices." Sorry but by that definition, the boy scouts is a religion.

The above definitions look at the outward form without understanding the underlying causes.

The fundamental intent of religion is to try to answer existential questions. It is an attempt to make meaning and identity. These attempts then get codified into beliefs and rituals, true, but the beliefs and rituals are the result, not the cause.

Religion is about meaning and identity.

Jeremy Mason

I think that's a bunch of nonsense. You might want to watch this: YouTube - Noam Chomsky on 911 conspiracy part 2
This is a man who has been arguably the most fervent and well-reasoned critic of the U.S. for half a century and considers himself a U.S. political dissident.

Sorry, but this guy doesn't even come remotely close to thwarting all the evidence that has been provided by numerous agencies and groups.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
So does stating that everyone breaths remove any cohesive meaning from the term breathing?

Not at all the same. You are assigning the attribute of religiousness to people who would rather not have that particular label stuck onto them. Nobody would be annoyed to be accused of breathing.

And since you are the one doing this, it's up to you to prove we are religious, not up to us to prove we are not.

Are we agreed that defining religion as belief in the supernatural is not an adequate definition, as it includes things that should be excluded and excludes things that should be included?

No, I am still going to go with the dictionary.

The fundamental intent of religion is to try to answer existential questions. It is an attempt to make meaning and identity. These attempts then get codified into beliefs and rituals, true, but the beliefs and rituals are the result, not the cause.

Religion is about meaning and identity.

Not everyone in terribly concerned about meaning and identity.

emiliano

I'm on your side here, half my Jewish friends love bacon. They're Jews for the sake of traditional family gatherings, other than that, they couldn't care less.

If this is so, your friends are excommunicated/cherem Jews and not Jewish Jews at all.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

It's OK, I'm sure they already know anyway, so there's no need to let them know.

Do they observe shabbat because of its religious implications or because of its cultural ones? The point is that they still don't practice or believe in the religion of Judaism. I've gone to church several times since I "became" and atheist, on holidays just to be there with my parents. I've also gone to church for weddings and other celebrations and sacraments. Does any of that make me a Christian?

You're getting away from the point here. People who practice and believe in the religion of Judaism have a set of beliefs in common. People who practice the culture of being Jewish are irrelevant.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

Actually, that would be on "my side". Those Jewish friends of yours don't practice the religion, just the culture, as you describe yourself. That's my point. They're still Jewish, they just don't practice the religion of Judaism, just like I don't practice Christianity when I go to church with my parents on Christmas or for weddings, etc.