• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It's also obvious to people who are not familiar with them.

I don't know. I'd think that was kind of hard. How could you consider a belief that you don't even know exists "erroneous"?

I know what you're trying to say, but it's irrelevant. You don't always have to "keep people honest". It's ok, we understand without you pointing it out.

Alceste

Vagabond
Oh I agree that all words have inherent connotations and implications. The question here is whether the word religion has inherent negative connotations and implications. I would argue that "delusional" does.

The question you raised here is actually "can the word religion be defined to include ALL beliefs and values", which is very similar to the question "can the word delusion be redefined to include ALL religious beliefs", in my view.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I suspect she would also be far happier if she'd questioned it herself, rather than insisting despite the fact that a number of non-religious folks didn't give it any serious consideration. (Because it's obviously wrong).
Insisting it was hers?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Would you question the assertion "All black people are stupid", or would you just summarily reject it?

(I'm not saying she did something this bad. I'm just using the analogy to point out that sometimes it only makes sense to reject something outright.)
But you are suggesting that I called you something bad. I think that says enough. Thank you.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
But you are suggesting that I called you something bad. I think that says enough. Thank you.
No, he's suggesting that you made an incorrect assertion that deserves its summary rejection. And he's right.

Earlier, you said that to you, religion = worldview. That's a definition lacking any semblance of nuance. We have different words because those words have different meanings.

Alceste

Vagabond
And there we have it. Finally, a little honesty.

I don't recall ever attempting to conceal the fact that I think the faith-based beliefs are delusional or erroneous. There's no other way for an apophatic (or a Taoist along the lines of Zhuangzi) to see them. Honesty is pretty standard fare with my posts, you'll find.

Jeremy Mason

Judaism is a religion. Being Jewish is an ethnicity. I don't really understand your question or your second sentence. I'm not 100% Polish because only my dad's side of the family came from Polish roots. What does that have to do with anything? Someone who is born of an Irish father and Jewish mother is 50% Jewish, just as I am 50% Polish.

Are converts to Judaism Jewish?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

Where did you get that? I think the problem is you're seeing things in others' posts that aren't there. I have actually said at least twice just in the past two pages or so that I don't consider the label "religious" bad. I wouldn't mind being called that, if it were accurate. I am not suggesting in any way that you called me something bad, and I am, in fact, saying quite the opposite. I used an obvious example like that one because it was obvious.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
No, he's suggesting that you made an incorrect assertion that deserves its summary rejection.
:rolleyes:

First there was the example that he chose:
Would you question the assertion "All black people are stupid", or would you just summarily reject it?
And then there was his commentary.
(I'm not saying she did something this bad. I'm just using the analogy to point out that sometimes it only makes sense to reject something outright.)
Yup, not this bad, but bad.

Sorry Storm, but the objections here reflect their own antipathy for the term.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Are converts to Judaism Jewish?

Yup. Do you actually think that proves anything? As we've already discussed, a Jew is someone who practices Judaism, as well as someone who is born of Jewish parents. You can be Jewish without practicing Judaism, and you can be Jewish without being born to Jewish parents.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I'm going to watch the election results.... all night.

Yall have fun with your baaaad selves. :p

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
:rolleyes:

First there was the example that he chose:

Yeah, to show the ridiculousness of it. I knew that even you and Patty could see that that assertion was worth summary rejection.

And then there was his commentary.
Yes, as in "not this inaccurate, but still inaccurate". Why are you trying to create conflict now?

How many times do I have to tell you:

There is nothing wrong with the term "religious". It's just inaccurate when applied to me.

Jeremy Mason

Yup. Do you actually think that proves anything? As we've already discussed, a Jew is someone who practices Judaism, as well as someone who is born of Jewish parents. You can be Jewish without practicing Judaism, and you can be Jewish without being born to Jewish parents.

If i eat polish sausages, does that make me Polish? :D

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
If you completely ignore the rest of his posts and take the quote completely out of context (which has admittedly never been a problem for you), you can see that implication. However, if you actually listen to people, it's pathetically obvious that that's not at all what he was saying.

You're projecting again.

Of course, you won't listen to me, either, but I'm bored.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Now that's over, can we agree that people who don't identify themselves as religious are entitled to do so and justified to do so given the connotations associated with the term?