• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I don't see it to be that much different than the example I mentioned before of a Russian objecting to being called American. It's not a matter of "American" being a bad word, it's a matter of inaccuracy.
I missed the example to which you refer.

Categorical mistake.

A Russian objecting to being called an American is like a Hindu objecting to being called a Christian.

This thread is more along the lines of the Russian objecting to someone saying that he or she has a nationality.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I missed the example to which you refer.

Categorical mistake.

A Russian objecting to being called an American is like a Hindu objecting to being called a Christian.

This thread is more along the lines of the Russian objecting to someone saying that he or she has a nationality.

No, it's more like an alien objecting to someone saying that he has a nationality.

gnostic

The Lost One
9-10ths_penguin said:
*actually, the slogan seems more agnostic than atheist to me, but apparently the group funding them considers them to be "atheist".

Yes, the slogan does agnostic. Only an agnostic would use "probably".

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
We a educated people need to steer clear of equating Jews with secular people of Israeli descent.

Absolute uneducated nonsense. Israel is a homeland for the Jewish people where they can live freely, as secular people, or religious people, but still as Jewish people.
Let me inform you that you are not the one to determine to the Jews which ones of them are Jewish or not, and I need to inform you that in great part that is the new antisemitism, to tell Jews that they are not really Jews.
to the persecuted Jews of the 20th century it didnt matter if they were secular, or religious, they were still considered Jews by the Nazis and their collaborators.

capslockf9

There is no god.
And if there was, it would not need your obedience,worship, or love.
(Unless it had human traits.)
It would not punish or reward.

Jeremy Mason

Absolute uneducated nonsense. Israel is a homeland for the Jewish people where they can live freely, as secular people, or religious people, but still as Jewish people.
Let me inform you that you are not the one to determine to the Jews which ones of them are Jewish or not, and I need to inform you that in great part that is the new antisemitism, to tell Jews that they are not really Jews.
to the persecuted Jews of the 20th century it didnt matter if they were secular, or religious, they were still considered Jews by the Nazis and their collaborators.

Easy big! I wasn't be derogatory. I was simply stating that some people here who are respected scholars of Judaism and I think this term has adopted a non Biblical characteristic. If you look through this thread, you'll see who and why we think it's odd.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Anyway, back to the bus ads....apparently they are the new combatants in the "War on Christmas"! Coming to a bus near you in D.C.!!

FOXNews.com - 'Why Believe in a God? Just be Good' Ads Set to Run Next Week Through Christmas On D.C. Buses - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

The most telling quote of the article, IMO (emphasis mine):

"It's a stupid ad," [American Family Association President Tim Wildmon] said. "How do we define 'good' if we don't believe in God? God in his word, the Bible, tells us what's good and bad and right and wrong. If we are each ourselves defining what's good, it's going to be a crazy world."

:areyoucra

The most telling quote of the article, IMO (emphasis mine):
"It's a stupid ad," [American Family Association President Tim Wildmon] said. "How do we define 'good' if we don't believe in God? God in his word, the Bible, tells us what's good and bad and right and wrong. If we are each ourselves defining what's good, it's going to be a crazy world."
I was thinking the exact same thing.

gnomon

Once again, the mentality.

Don't step out of your place.

Don't question religion.

Don't criticize religion.

It's not allowed. If you do, you are the worst never mind what religious organizations do to you.

:clap

Looks like I'll be handing out a lot of those congratulations in the time remaining.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
If it were actually the case that DC buses ran ads telling people that they have to believe in God to be good, then I would understand. I live in DC and do not recall any such ads. So from my perspective, this is picking a fight that does not exist.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This fight began years ago when preachers started smearing nontheists from their pulpits. It's not something that began with a bunch of bus ads.