• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
i would agree with this as far as our society is concerned,but there have been many nations where making any statement concerning religion is illegal.so if your only option is to break the law,it must be done.

Good point! And, of course, an evil law should be broken. Maybe I should have said, "inciting people to violence" is something I would usually be opposed to.

gnomon

i would agree with this as far as our society is concerned,but there have been many nations where making any statement concerning religion is illegal.so if your only option is to break the law,it must be done.

In point of fact, the originator of the UK atheist bus campaign said the word probably had to be inserted because the law would not allow them to say, "There is no God.".

Apparently one of those nations making statements against religion illegal is the UK.

Of course, stating that there is no God is not an inherently anti-religious statement.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You don't think that an ad saying "Why believe in God?" promotes atheism over theism?
Personally, I think it introduces the idea of atheism as an option, but doesn't demand that the reader accept it. It's "why believe in God?", not "don't believe in God."

"There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."
life is beautiful above all !
or let me think again being the modern slave of this society is that what you mean by enjoying

? who am I to speak in his name
ma vengence est fraichement sortie du congélateur

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Personally, I think it introduces the idea of atheism as an option, but doesn't demand that the reader accept it. It's "why believe in God?", not "don't believe in God."
Let me put it this way: I would react just as negatively to an ad asking "Is there a God-shaped hole in your life?"

(And yes, ZenZero I am clinging. I never claimed to be a good Buddhist. :p )

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Let me put it this way: I would react just as negatively to an ad asking "Is there a God-shaped hole in your life?"
Personally, I'd react less negatively to "Is there a God-shaped hole in your life?" than to "there is a God-shaped hole in your life."

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Personally, I'd react less negatively to "Is there a God-shaped hole in your life?" than to "there is a God-shaped hole in your life."
As would I. But I still wonder how many here who are defending the "Why believe in God?" ad would truly be ok with an "Is there a God-shaped hole in your life?" ad.

texan1

As would I. But I still wonder how many here who are defending the "Why believe in God?" ad would truly be ok with an "Is there a God-shaped hole in your life?" ad.

Honestly, I would not be bothered by either one that much. They are both peaceful ways to excercise freedom of speech. At most, I would probably laugh and roll my eyes at it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Depends how you mean "truly be ok".

Seeing something like that might make me mildly annoyed, but it'd still rank well below many other ads on the infuriation scale... for example, using Gimme Hope Jo'anna to hawk yogurt drinks.

I don't think that an ad like the one you describe would ever be effective at coaxing me into theism, but it wouldn't prompt me to start a picket or a petition either.

However, I think the "Why believe in God?" ad is different in one fundamental respect: the question of the source of morality is separate to the question of belief in God. I doubt that the ad will convince many people to throw away religion in favour of atheism, but it might just be successful at introducing the idea that atheists aren't necessarily immoral/amoral to some people who believe otherwise.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What's the difference between wanting to censor religious ads you disagree with and wanting to censor political ads you disagree with?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I doubt that the ad will convince many people to throw away religion in favour of atheism, but it might just be successful at introducing the idea that atheists aren't necessarily immoral/amoral to some people who believe otherwise.
I really don't think so. The question is how many theists will see an ad asking "Why Believe in God?" and not think that it's directed against their beliefs. By putting it that way, the ad focuses the attention on the first part and completely away from the second.

If the intent is to suggest that atheists are moral people too (something that I don't think needs suggesting but let's say for the sake of argument it does), then I would think the better approach would be something like: "What do atheists believe? We believe in reason, respect and integrity, just like you."

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
Really a monumental task to shed our attachments even *WORDS* from this mind.
No doubt it takes lives for attaining where we started from NIRVANA.
Love & rgds

Sententia

I really don't think so. The question is how many theists will see an ad asking "Why Believe in God?" and not think that it's directed against their beliefs. By putting it that way, the ad focuses the attention on the first part and completely away from the second.

If the intent is to suggest that atheists are moral people too (something that I don't think needs suggesting but let's say for the sake of argument it does), then I would think the better approach would be something like: "What do atheists believe? We believe in reason, respect and integrity, just like you."

I think lilithu makes a subtle point here that an atheist ad could be offensive to some percentage of all religions where as a religious ad could be offensive to just a percentage of atheists and agnostics... hehe..

So does that mean that a every dollar spent on atheist advertising is a 1000 times more effective?

Amusing to ponder... Atheist are so disorganized... they dont even go to church those irreverent blasphemers...

Half the time they dont agree with each other... why do they keep thinking for themselves!!!

;)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I think lilithu makes a subtle point here that an atheist ad could be offensive to some percentage of all religions where as a religious ad could be offensive to just a percentage of atheists and agnostics... hehe..

So does that mean that a every dollar spent on atheist advertising is a 1000 times more effective?
You mean assuming that the goal of the ad is to offend as many people as you can per dollar?

I would like to think that neither side is trying to offend, but rather to convince others that their way is superior.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
i would agree with this as far as our society is concerned,but there have been many nations where making any statement concerning religion is illegal.

That sounds ideal. :yes: sounds like a nation that recognizes that its citizens are mature and has some kind of solidarity.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Right, because you are so greatly oppressed. :sarcastic People were fighting for equal rights under the law - the ability to vote, to get decent educations, to get jobs - things that actually make a difference between their being able to raise and provide for their kids. People were killed in this struggle.

And you are complaining because some idiots in some churches are calling you names.

Just so that we are clear:
I don't think that it's ok be denigrating atheists, and have argued against people when they make ridiculous threads about needing God to be moral in these forums. But to compare your situation to what African Americans were facing at that time (and still face to a certain extent) is ..... a stretch, to put it politely.

Really, lilithu?

Please stop with the "That's not the same thing because this one's much worse, so you can't even compare them" stuff. I know you know the fallacy there. No one's saying this is as bad as that. There are, however, similarities in the situations.

Sententia

You mean assuming that the goal of the ad is to offend as many people as you can per dollar?

I would like to think that neither side is trying to offend, but rather to convince others that their way is superior.

I would say religions are trying to show that their religion is superior. I wouldn't say that is the goal of most of the so called atheist ads.

Most of the atheist ads seem to simply state that there is another way or that there are other atheists and agnostics out there. This will offend many religious people regardless of its intention.

I personally think many religions are harmful. They can foster hatred, repression and serve as the justification for too many atrocities.

There is by all known science and probablilities not a diety. If there is what people think they know about god and his ways today is obviously ridiculous and false. So people should just relax and enjoy life. :beach: