• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Those who believe there is no God live by faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdAngel

I really do not understand why you believe the behaviour you display here is the fruit of a Christian. Antagonizing people. Not listening to others. Veiled insults that I would describe as passive aggressive. Avoidance of valid points. I could go on, but I hardly need to.

For me I do not understand why you do not understand. I speak the truth. Speaking the truth is the fruit of a christian. It is only those who believe and follow God's Word that are christians from my understanding. What are your fruits?

Dan From Smithville

"We are both impressed and daunted." Cargn
Staff member
Premium Member
Dan you should know being a christian we cannot judge another persons experience in God. The number here is not relevant only the point is to the collective witness of all those who believe they have had an experience with God. There is a 2015 version that says 2.4 billion - 1/3 of the worlds population. This however is not the real point of what was posted earlier.
I know it, but you do not seem to.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Ever stop what? Telling the truth? What is it Dan that I should stop?
The bad behavior. Poor etiquette. Ignoring what others post and be closed to what they post.. That not everything you post is true just because you posted it. Should I go on?

3rdAngel

I really do not understand why you believe the behaviour you display here is the fruit of a Christian. Antagonizing people. Not listening to others. Veiled insults that I would describe as passive aggressive. Avoidance of valid points. I could go on, but I hardly need to.

Nonsense, what behaviour? Be specific. So me disagreeing with someones view in your opinion is antagonizing poeple? I have listened to every single person in this thread and considered very carefully what is being posted and responded section by section to peoples posts stating if I agree or disagree showing why? Now if I disagree why is that antagonizing people? What insults have I made please go ahead and prove your claims. If you cannot. All I hear from you my friend are empty words. Sorry I am being honest with you. :)

3rdAngel

Try considering some of the valid points that have been made without just dismissing them with a wave of your hand.

You show me what valid points that I have not responsded to in detail here in this thread. All I am hearing from you are empty accusations to be honest Dan nothing personal :)

3rdAngel

The bad behavior. Poor etiquette. Ignoring what others post and be closed to what they post.. That not everything you post is true just because you posted it. Should I go on?
What bad behaviour Dan prove my bad behavior. Yes please go on, then let me know when you want to discuss the OP. Your the one that seems to be sitting in judgement now. I do not judge you I am simply sharing the truth but it seems you do not believe it.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Dan you should know being a christian we cannot judge another persons experience in God. The number here is not relevant only the point is to the collective witness of all those who believe they have had an experience with God. There is a 2015 version that says 2.4 billion - 1/3 of the worlds population. This however is not the real point of what was posted earlier.

But you can't then deny the God experiences of Muslims. Or those of Buddhists (such as they are). Or of any of the many other religions. And, among those 2.4 billion that you *claim* have had an experience (a claim with no evidence to back it up), how many of those experiences were NOT valid experiences (ones that agree with your interpretation of your scriptures).

Your problem is that you are either inflating the numbers here (by counting Christians you don't agree with and are not 'true' Christians) or you are underestimating the numbers by not counting all the other religious experiences of the world.

The first undermines your claim that it is common enough to be the default position and needs to be taken seriously as such. The second undermines your claim of consistency.

In fact, of course, people across the world and from all major religions experience what are known as religious experiences. Those who adopt a theistic system attribute these experiences to contact with a God. Others interpret them differently.

My view is that these are *all* how the brain produces illusions when under certain types of stress or when trained in certain ways. This view can be backed up by evidence from several different directions, including brain scans, testimony of those who train themselves to hear voices (in a non-religious context), the experiences induced by some drugs, etc.

These collectively show that the experiences are NOT experiences of some other reality, but are, instead, illusions produced by a stressed brain. And that explains both the commonalities and the differences in such experiences.

Now, given these *known* capabilities of the brain, why would we expect *any* of these experiences to be valid and real?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
]
This is a discussion board do you have something to discuss in realation to the OP. All your seeking to do at the moment is making everything personal o_O
I think it is worth discussing. You have dismissed every post from every poster that dissented, claiming they were wrong. That is fantastic.

Is there no possibility that you could be wrong?

3rdAngel

But you can't then deny the God experiences of Muslims. Or those of Buddhists (such as they are). Or of any of the many other religions. And, among those 2.4 billion that you *claim* have had an experience (a claim with no evidence to back it up), how many of those experiences were NOT valid experiences (ones that agree with your interpretation of your scriptures).

Your problem is that you are either inflating the numbers here (by counting Christians you don't agree with and are not 'true' Christians) or you are underestimating the numbers by not counting all the other religious experiences of the world.

The first undermines your claim that it is common enough to be the default position and needs to be taken seriously as such. The second undermines your claim of consistency.

In fact, of course, people across the world and from all major religions experience what are known as religious experiences. Those who adopt a theistic system attribute these experiences to contact with a God. Others interpret them differently.

My view is that these are *all* how the brain produces illusions when under certain types of stress or when trained in certain ways. This view can be backed up by evidence from several different directions, including brain scans, testimony of those who train themselves to hear voices (in a non-religious context), the experiences induced by some drugs, etc.

These collectively show that the experiences are NOT experiences of some other reality, but are, instead, illusions produced by a stressed brain. And that explains both the commonalities and the differences in such experiences.

Now, given these *known* capabilities of the brain, why would we expect *any* of these experiences to be valid and real?

I think we have discussed this earlier Poly I did respond to a lot of these points in an earlier post to you. Did you get a chance to read it? I am happy to respond to this one in detail if you like.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
You show me what valid points that I have not responsded to in detail here in this thread. All I am hearing from you are empty accusations to be honest Dan nothing personal :)
I have a valid point and you are dismissing it. So my words are not empty.

3rdAngel

]

I think it is worth discussing. You have dismissed every post from every poster that dissented, claiming they were wrong. That is fantastic. Is there no possibility that you could be wrong?

Nonsense. Prove it. I have posted retailed responses showing why I believe what I believe. Seems your making things up now.

Ayjaydee

I think we have discussed this earlier Poly I did respond to a lot of these points in an earlier post to you. Did you get a chance to read it? I am happy to respond to this one in detail again if you like.
You never came close to documenting 2.4 billion experiences with god

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I think we have discussed this earlier Poly I did respond to a lot of these points in an earlier post to you. Did you get a chance to read it? I am happy to respond to this one in detail again if you like.
I would be interested in how you both do not know and know the personal experiences with God that are found in more than a third of the world population.

Status
Not open for further replies.