• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Titanic

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They often are, and the decision to carry on at speed was probably a bad one - as is often the case when profit drives motives.
Fast speed was problematic but would've been safer
with better communication & observation protocols,
& in warmer waters & with stronger metals.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Breaking news....
Sad news, but at least a debris field is indicative of a catastrophic failure. In other words death would have been instantaneous. That would be preferred to the possible alternative of dying due to a combination of hypothermia and lack of oxygen.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
@Christine is fast.
@Revoltingest is slow.
So much for your "fact", eh.

You probably believe in determinism and fate.
I believe in free will. In God's free will...too.

Why do you think James Cameron went down there numerous times and nothing bad happened to him?

Well...you need to approach the tragedy of Titanic with your heart, and Cameron has lots of heart...and the result was his movie.

Those people...I don't know...why they wanted to see the Titanic wreck site, which is an underwater graveyard.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Those people...I don't know...why they wanted to see the Titanic wreck site, which is an underwater graveyard.

I suppose the reason is because only a few people have done it. More people have gone into space than have gone that deep in the ocean. And the Titanic is not even the deepest. The Challenger Deep in the Western Pacific is the deepest undersea point.

Another possible reason might be treasure hunting. There's an estimated 3 million shipwrecks at the bottom of the sea.

About $60 billion in lost treasure, but there may be even more gold on the ocean floor: The Underwater Treasure That is Worth More Than 1,000 Trillion Dollars.

As early as 1872, the British chemist Edward Sonstadt discovered that there was an unknown treasure on the ocean floor, but even today mankind has failed to bring it to the surface. Around 20 million tonnes of gold can be found there!

According to estimates by the US National Oceanic Service, the gold from the depths of the oceans is so diluted that there is only one gram of this precious yellow metal for every 100 million metric tons of water. There are also gold pieces on the ocean floor that are undissolved but are hidden in rocks and must be mined.

The problem is that our current technology hasn't gone as far as providing a practical way to exploit this massive quantity of underwater gold, Grunge reports.

The Quest to Bring the Underwater Gold to the Surface

If you are wondering why there was no gold rush for the underwater gold, it is because it is very difficult to extract it compared to the gold found on the surface of the Earth.

Although there were many people who tried to bring out gold from the oceans, no one was able to successfully exploit it and make a fortune out of it.

Usually, when it came to underwater gold mining, one of the options was to use remotely operated vehicles, but the problem is that they could only hold a certain amount of weight and it would be too time-consuming. There are also proposals to bring the rocks to the surface using a belt of sorts and do the mining on land.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You probably believe in determinism and fate.
You presume too much.
I believe in free will. In God's free will...too.
No God, Cthulhu, Zeus, etc for me.
Why do you think James Cameron went down there numerous times and nothing bad happened to him?
Different submersible, one that didn't implode.
Well...you need to approach the tragedy of Titanic with your heart, and Cameron has lots of heart...and the result was his movie.
"Heart" is inferior to analysis.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You presume too much.
I said probably.
No God, Cthulhu, Zeus, etc for me.

No. The Flying Spaghetti Monster...
I love spaghetti. :grinning:
Different submersible, one that didn't implode.

Free will confirmed. Better choice, better outcomes.
Even in the Titanic better choices would have implied better outcomes.
"Heart" is inferior to analysis.
Heart is everything.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
The first sea disaster movie I saw as a kid was The Poseidon Adventure, with Gene Hackman, Ernest Borgnine, and quite a few other stars of the time. I've always been somewhat wary about traveling over water. I'm a confirmed landlubber, living in a landlocked state. Among many other joys in life I have found, I have realized that it's a nice thing to have air to breathe.
I like being at sea and, asides from afew others on the ship, being able to see not one trace of any other person for many, many miles. Wouldn't want to be out there long though because i hate being holed up in one spot like that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'll wager the last words of one at least were - oh ****!
I'll wager that no one ever knew there was a problem.
How fast do you think that almost 6000 psi water
would collapse the structure & contents?
One titanium end has been found, so this wasn't
a small leak that filled the Titan...it was rapid
catastrophic failure

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I distance myself from those who see conspiracy theories anywhere.

tenor.gif

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'll wager that no one ever knew there was a problem.
How fast do you think that almost 6000 psi water
would collapse the structure & contents?
One titanium has been found, so this wasn't a
small leak that filled the Titan...it was rapid
catastrophic failure
Well I think they did have some onboard monitoring of the hull, of whatever sort, and possibly a very small leak occurred before any calamitous implosion, so there probably were signs, even if for only a second or two.

Vee

Premium Member
Their deaths is a tragedy and I'm really sorry it happened. The only consolation is to know that they died quickly.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well I think they did have some onboard monitoring of the hull, of whatever sort, and possibly a very small leak occurred before any calamitous implosion, so there probably were signs, even if for only a second or two.
I speculate....
If they'd been able to detect a small leak, it
would have to have occurred over a duration
long enuf to perceive it. Nearly 6000 psi would
rapidly fill the Titan, increasing internal pressure,
which would reduce the differential (external vs
internal), thereby reducing the likelihood of
catastrophic collapse.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I speculate....
If they'd been able to detect a small leak, it
would have to have occurred over a duration
long enuf to perceive it. Nearly 6000 psi would
rapidly fill the Titan, increasing internal pressure,
which would reduce the differential (external vs
internal), thereby reducing the likelihood of
catastrophic collapse.
Well I did read somewhere that a pinhole leak at that pressure would be like a knife scything through everything in it's path, so one would expect some panic to occur. But there are so many possible points of failure as to the actual cause being up in the air at the moment.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well I did read somewhere that a pinhole leak at that pressure would be like a knife scything through everything in it's path, so one would expect some panic to occur. But there are so many possible points of failure as to the actual cause being up in the air at the moment.
I speculate that fatigue of the composite hull
or its connection to the end bells lead to
catastrophic failure. These are areas of
novel construction with complexities,
especially in their connection.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I speculate that fatigue of the composite hull
or its connection to the end bells lead to
catastrophic failure. These are areas of
novel construction with complexities,
especially in their connection.
My first thoughts too, given that it is quite difficult to marry up quite different materials, but how on earth did they monitor damage to the CF hull so as to to predict it still being safe?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My first thoughts too, given that it is quite difficult to marry up quite different materials, but how on earth did they monitor damage to the CF hull so as to to predict it still being safe?
One issue I see is matching the deflection
of separate hull components under pressure.
This could be why a 5" thick hull was chosen
over 7"....perhaps to ensure that the connection
with the titanium ends would be maintained
across the entire operating depths.

The easy way to make a submersible is out
of titanium or steel in a spherical shape.
But this becomes inefficient when increasing
size to accommodate passengers. Titanium
is a nasty material to work with, & is likely
why they chose a carbon composite tube.