• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump 2024. Why or why not.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We have:
Open borders
Out of control crime wave
Severe economic issues
A renewable engery policy that puts the cart before the horse
Two wars that we are funding
A policy of putting equity over equality
Advesaries that have little or no respect/fear of us
Just to mention a few,.
So do you want to continue the policies put forth by the current adminstratio or not.
If you have problems that need solutions, why would you vote for Trump?

Trump is the "burn the whole thing down" candidate, not the "solve actual problems" candidate.

Ponder This

Of course you don't think so. Instead, you believe the other guy is beholden to foreign powers, even though there is zero evidence of such. All while ignoring the evidence that your guy is indeed beholden to foreign powers. What does losing money on a golf course have to do with being not being "beholden to foreign powers" anyway?? What a strange statement.

This was after claiming that "IMO, a better reason to consider is whether or not a candidate is financially beholden to foreign powers. Trump isn't financially beholden to foreign powers."

... Which you now seem to be trying to back out of.

I agree, the better candidate is the one who is not beholden to foreign powers. In this case, that's Joe Biden.
The "golf course" in question are actually in a place that your articles claimed Trump made money.
Business Insider:
Most of that income came from Trump's golf course and resort properties in Scotland and Ireland
CREW:
his Aberdeen and Turnberry golf courses in Scotland helped him gross $58 million.
Politico:
By 2020, his last full year in office, Trump reported $8.8 million in income from the U.K. and another $3.9 million in Ireland.
Global News:
The returns show accounts in other foreign countries over the years, including the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland and the Caribbean island nation of St. Martin. By 2018, Trump had apparently closed all his overseas accounts other than the one in the U.K., home to one of his flagship golf properties.
None of these statements is sufficient to your claim that Trump made money from foreign powers, and you seem very intent on claiming he is thus beholden. You will have to do better if you want to substantiate your claim.
I pointed out that the article I cite says that Trump actually lost money in the "golf courses" in Scotland - not made money. Your articles aren't necessarily always technically wrong on all their facts, but they may be misleading, both in terms of claims that Trump made money and in terms of suggesting Trump was influenced by foreign powers.

I further pointed out that Trump lost money (net worth) during his Presidency unlike all other Presidents of recent history not only because it is relevant to the question of making money from any source (foreign powers included), but because I want to make sure you understand what my main point is, which you seem intent to ignore.

Perhaps, you can also clarify who "the other guy" is. You claim Joe Biden is not beholden to foreign powers. I discuss some of that evidence in the thread: Biden 2024. Why, or why not. Feel free to post your rebuttals there.

Ponder This

If you have problems that need solutions, why would you vote for Trump?

Trump is the "burn the whole thing down" candidate, not the "solve actual problems" candidate.

Just to pick the first of those topics (it receives a lot of attention): the Open Borders problem.
Trump is very clearly the candidate who would solve the open borders problem.

flowerpower

Even though Trump stood for so many things that I think go so far against what I think and feel is best politically, for some reason I could never really get on the bandwagon of hating him as much as other people did/continue to do.

I've never been a supporter or an advocate of his but I kind of enjoy the ride a little. The racist Muslim ban stuff was probably the most offensive thing to me with a close second being his horribly articulated and executed opposition to immigration. That stuff seems like ancient history now. The personal life of politicians don't matter to me - I find it weird when they matter to other people.

As much as I want the USA to succeed because I strongly believe a strong USA means a strong and better world for everyone (just being realistic), something tells me that the POTUS really isn't as important to what actually happens in the country as people seem to think. I think there are other factors at play that have far more influence than the majority of people actually know or even want to know.

That's why it's so easy for people to pick one of two colours and hold a popularity contest every four years. It's easier and a shortcut to thinking.

The darkest parts of me would actually like to see Trump reelected just because I think it would be really funny and people's reactions to it would be priceless (the comedians employed to do political humor like Colbert and Maher would prosper again which would be fun) - I do retract that sentiment though if another Trump presidency caused anywhere near as much mayhem as the last one did. That 1/6 **** was really not cool. Like I said earlier - I'm rooting for a strong and prosperous USA and if Trump threatens that (which he certainly seems to) then I definitely don't want him to be president ever again.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Just to pick the first of those topics (it receives a lot of attention): the Open Borders problem.
Trump is very clearly the candidate who would solve the open borders problem.
The border crossing stats tell a different story.

Trump isn't the person to vote for if you want fewer people irregular border crossers getting into the country, but he is the person to vote for if you want the ones who get caught to be treated cruelly.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The "golf course" in question are actually in a place that your articles claimed Trump made money.
Business Insider:

CREW:

Politico:

Global News:

None of these statements is sufficient to your claim that Trump made money from foreign powers, and you seem very intent on claiming he is thus beholden. You will have to do better if you want to substantiate your claim.
He made tens of millions of dollars from his golf courses. He made tens of millions of dollars on licensing deals with countries with authoritarian-style leaders, such as India, Turkey and the Philippines.

"The intersections between Trump Inc. and President Trump are everywhere: A Chinese state-owned company was awarded a multimillion dollar contract to help develop a Trump golf course in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, amid a U.S.-China trade war. T-Mobile executives stayed at Trump’s Washington hotel while seeking a green light from the federal government for a merger. The IRS commissioner, who refused to release Trump’s tax returns to Congress, collects rent from a pair of Trump condos in Hawaii.

And in recent weeks, even Trump’s staunchest allies bluntly acknowledged that the president had left his own properties vulnerable to attacks by Iran after his order to kill the country’s top general.

... Even after Congress launched an investigation into his businesses, the Trump administration authorized foreign governments to rent condos in Trump World Tower in New York, according to previously unreported documents obtained through a public records lawsuit by American Oversight, a watchdog group engaging with Congress on oversight of the administration."

Here's some more:

"While president, Trump has continued to own his business, and through his hotels, clubs, and golf courses he’s accepted millions of dollars in payment from foreign entities. Indeed, Trump made more than $200 million in income from his foreign business interests since 2016, according to the Center for Responsive Politics."

Have you never wondered why he wouldn't release his tax returns?

I pointed out that the article I cite says that Trump actually lost money in the "golf courses" in Scotland - not made money. Your articles aren't necessarily always technically wrong on all their facts, but they may be misleading, both in terms of claims that Trump made money and in terms of suggesting Trump was influenced by foreign powers.
Just because he's a terrible businessman who runs almost every business into the ground, doesn't mean he hasn't taken money from, and isn't beholden to foreign powers, as the evidence indicates.
I further pointed out that Trump lost money (net worth) during his Presidency unlike all other Presidents of recent history not only because it is relevant to the question of making money from any source (foreign powers included), but because I want to make sure you understand what my main point is, which you seem intent to ignore.
He has never divested himself from his business interests, as most every President has always done. Why do you think that is?

So your point is that despite receiving tens of millions of dollars from foreign investors, because he's a terrible business man and lost it all, that he's not beholden to the foreign powers who have thrown all this money at him? Is that what you're trying to say?
Perhaps, you can also clarify who "the other guy" is. You claim Joe Biden is not beholden to foreign powers. I discuss some of that evidence in the thread: Biden 2024. Why, or why not. Feel free to post your rebuttals there.
The "other guy" is Joe Biden. There is currently zero evidence that Biden is beholden to any foreign powers. The Republicans sure haven't presented any.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The personal life of politicians don't matter to me - I find it weird when they matter to other people.
So, if someone groped your daughter that's all fine & dandy? He admitted it and 25 women have stated that he sexually assaulted them. He claimed he would sue them but has not done so.

Also, what about his recent statement with Hannity that he would be a dictator on "day one"? :shrug:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Personally I'd rather be in Trumps 'fascist' dictatorship for a day, then the left wing's Marxist Communist Regime for a lifetime.
That is horrifying. I've heard a number of Trump supporters say the same thing and that is absolutely alarming to me that anyone would prefer a dictator of any kind over democratically elected Democrat who has shown zero dictatorial anything.
I guess history really does repeat itself. :(

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That is horrifying. I've heard a number of Trump supporters say the same thing and that is absolutely alarming to me that anyone would prefer a dictator of any kind over democratically elected Democrat who has shown zero dictatorial anything.
I guess history really does repeat itself. :(
All one has to do is take a look at leftist communist regimes like China, North Korea, and the old Soviet Union, and that settles it for me.

Although honestly I'd rather not live in either a fascist or communist state, but if given no choice at all? I definitely have chosen my side.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
All one has to do is take a look at leftist communist regimes like China, North Korea, and the old Soviet Union, and that settles it for me.
You're looking in the wrong direction.

None of those societies is liberal, and all are rejected by humanists, as are the Republicans, Putin, the Iranians and the Afghanis. They're all brutal authoritarianism whether you call them fascist or Communist. And Trump, THE main Republican, is one of them. Your recent praise of Putin over the Democrats, who function as loyal, patriotic Americans who love democracy and fair elections as well as the rule of law, makes you their sympathizer.

Shaul

Premium Member
Another thread of craven calumny and anti-Trump venom. <yawn>

But it does bring to mind one possible reason for Trump 2024. The prospect of multitudes of leftist liberal loony heads figuratively exploding upon his election.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The prospect of multitudes of leftist liberal loony heads figuratively exploding upon his election.
You like that, don't you? Sounds like you're one of those "**** your feelings" and "liberal tears" people, now angry that Trump is getting his comeuppance.

If you want to see heads explode and tears flowing, look around you. This is going to be a very painful year for Trump and those who love him, and an equally satisfying one for those who don't.

Trump will be rejected again come November as he was in 2020, but by a bigger margin, since this time, Joe has the incumbent's advantage, Trump is now known as a loser (the WH and both house of Congress) not to mention that Trump has been shown to be toxic to voters who routinely reject his endorsed candidates, young people and women have been mobilized against Trump and the Republicans since the abortion controversy and are expected to vote in larger numbers than usual, Trump is becoming increasingly unhinged and demented, and now, Trump is a defendant in multiple jurisdictions and has even posed for a mug shot. And, Joe has had stellar success as president. Expect him to get credit for the booming economy including a lot of minimum wage employees just getting a big raise.

Trump's defeat will be the best thing to happen to you in 2024. If Trump were to win, your life would go right down the toilet, too, although it would just take you longer to realize it.

Shaul

Premium Member
You like that, don't you?
Whether anyone in particular likes such a prospect or not, it would likely be a natural consequence.
Sounds like you're one of those "**** your feelings" and "liberal tears" people, now angry that Trump is getting his comeuppance.
Sound more like you are just making baseless personal attacks. I don't hold such anger. But your post sure seems full of anger!
If you want to see heads explode and tears flowing, look around you. This is going to be a very painful year for Trump and those who love him, and an equally satisfying one for those who don't.
This looks like a "Methinks the lady doth protest too much" example. If you are so sure of this you would need to even post this. Maybe you are just trying to convince yourself.
Trump will be rejected again come November as he was in 2020, but by a bigger margin, since this time, Joe has the incumbent's advantage, Trump is now known as a loser (the WH and both house of Congress) not to mention that Trump has been shown to be toxic to voters who routinely reject his endorsed candidates, young people and women have been mobilized against Trump and the Republicans since the abortion controversy and are expected to vote in larger numbers than usual, Trump is becoming increasingly unhinged and demented, and now, Trump is a defendant in multiple jurisdictions and has even posed for a mug shot. And, Joe has had stellar success as president. Expect him to get credit for the booming economy including a lot of minimum wage employees just getting a big raise.
LOL Ok, whatever.
Trump's defeat will be the best thing to happen to you in 2024. If Trump were to win, your life would go right down the toilet, too, although it would just take you longer to realize it.
Don't worry about me, I will be just fine either way. Best look after yourself and your obvious anger management issues.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I hope he wins.

I want to watch the US fail. I don't like my standard of living, so why have one at all?

This country doesn't have anything else going for it anyways.

Look at me not giving a **** about the US, just like Putin wanted when helping to elect trump in 2016.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Ah, so you like dictators, as long as they're on your side of the aisle. Ick.
Although honestly I'd rather not live in either a fascist or communist state, but if given no choice at all? I definitely have chosen my side.
Yes you've chosen dictatorship. Ick.

The people I see in the US that would be happy with a fascist-dictator-style government where the leader is viewed as some sort of unquestionable god, are people in the MAGA cult. I just finished watching interviews with these people and every single one of them gave the same answer you did - that they'd prefer a Trump dictatorship to a democratically elected Democrat. Which is so alarming to me I'm left speechless.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Whether anyone in particular likes such a prospect or not, it would likely be a natural consequence.

Sound more like you are just making baseless personal attacks. I don't hold such anger. But your post sure seems full of anger!

This looks like a "Methinks the lady doth protest too much" example. If you are so sure of this you would need to even post this. Maybe you are just trying to convince yourself.

LOL Ok, whatever.

Don't worry about me, I will be just fine either way. Best look after yourself and your obvious anger management issues.
From the guy who just claimed that a benefit of voting for Trump would be to see other people suffer.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But your post sure seems full of anger!
You see anger here? Schadenfreude would be more correct. I'm like the cheering kid at the Saturday matinee shoot-'em-up where the Sheriff and his posse are gaining ground on the black hats. It's catharsis. It feels good.

Yes, I detest the man, but, like Rudy and Santos, he's done now. His race is run. He's been cornered by multiple prosecutors now.

And it's easy to know much about how he feels. He's terrified and furious. He rages. He throws ketchup at the walls.

He probably also feels that it's all unjust and that his freedom, his wealth, his children's inheritance, and his legacy have all been stolen from him. That's got to make it an even more bitter pill to swallow.

And he's undoubtedly champing at the bit for power and revenge, which he's impotent to exact. I'll bet that stings for a guy like him

And he needs adulation but gets only jeers and calls to cancel him. States are rejecting him. Hollywood wants its star back. The Crown wants its honorific back. Crowds shout "Lock him up" to his face. Ouch!

To think that when he was president, I generally muted him on the TV, but now, whenever he speaks, I watch with the sound turned up. and I want him to live a long life. I will cheer his demise when his time comes as I did Falwell's, Robertson's, Limbaugh's and a few others, although I would feel a bit cheated if it came before he had sat for many years in prison.