• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump 2024. Why or why not.

Yerda

Veteran Member
We have:
Open borders
Out of control crime wave
Severe economic issues
A renewable engery policy that puts the cart before the horse
Two wars that we are funding
A policy of putting equity over equality
Advesaries that have little or no respect/fear of us
Just to mention a few,.
So do you want to continue the policies put forth by the current adminstratio or not.
Sounds like the kind of systemically difficult situation that calls for a former reality TV show host and hilariously obvious con artist. I'd personally go for the guy who previously failed so miserably that he has become the international symbol for halfwit.

Ponder This

It is far from imaginary. And the guilt is clear. He lied so badly about his properties that his accounting firm turned on him. That is huge. He harmed others by taking what was not his. Remember, he went bankrupt multiple times. He likely used this sort of fraudulent scheme in the past. Lying to banks to get lower rates on loans that put them at a higher risk. That is why what he did was illegal. He did not harm anyone because he did so now, but he likely harmed people for his past actions. He cannot be imprisoned or even fined for those, but this was recent enough so that they could get him for his crimes.
Please name the person or persons harmed. His accounting firm was not harmed nor have they changed their mind on any property assessment.

They did not know at that time. It was still a crime.
They would certainly know at this point if they were harmed or not. None of them have altered their assessments of property value for the purposes of the loans given.

Others knowledgeable of how property assessments are made have weighed in. Here is an article going into details about the assessed value of Mar-a-Lago. Note that:
Earlier this year, Forbes estimated the property is worth a more generous $325 million, after reviewing its financial history and consulting eight real estate experts.
As opposed to Judge Engoron's incorrect use of the $18 million tax assessment.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Please name the person or persons harmed. His accounting firm was not harmed nor have they changed their mind on any property assessment.
If Trump and co had reported their assets honestly the banks would have charged more interest on those loans. The banks could have made more money, that is considered a loss in financial circles.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Oh, I agree with the last part. But I think many of us project our intelligence onto the American voting public, which is a mistake. That was clealy demonstrated last time around.
Let's see if that intelligence will assure a second term and if not, it's no longer intelligence then?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

That is a silly standard. I can explain to you how people were harmed. I cannot name specific people.
They would certainly know at this point if they were harmed or not. None of them have altered their assessments of property value for the purposes of the loans given.

Others knowledgeable of how property assessments are made have weighed in. Here is an article going into details about the assessed value of Mar-a-Lago. Note that:

What did they base that on? If they based that value on other similar properties then they screwed up. Trump signed over certain rights of those properties to the city of Palm Beach. He signed over the rights to develop it so that he would have a lower tax rate. And that does not apply to just him. It also applies to whoever he sells it to. That is why it has a much lower value than surrounding sites. Trump cannot change his mind and say, "I am going to develop this and turn it into housing."

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If Trump and co had reported their assets honestly the banks would have charged more interest on those loans. The banks could have made more money, that is considered a loss in financial circles.
Plus banks have their money allocated into categories. They make a certain number of loans at a lower rate. By Trump taking a loan that was not rightfully his he prevented other businesses that did qualify from getting those lower rate loans They were harmed by this too.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Doncha think that all this hasn't been put under consideration? Just because I may not be killed or hurt in a robbery doesn't mean that robbery is moral.

Again, use some other sources than just Fox-- PLEASE.

Twilight Hue

Somehow you managed to miss the point. The issue at large is not whether it exists but what Trump & Co allegedly did to inflate its worth so as to secure more loans? Doesn't his repeated dishonesty bother you?
A person cannot inflate their own worth and have a bank take their word for it, they do background checks and documented assessments, do or did you ever hear of anybody that can take out a loan on their own word alone?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
A person cannot inflate their own worth and have a bank take their word for it, they do background checks and documented assessments, do or did you ever hear of anybody that can take out a loan on their own word alone?
Word and reputation mean a lot. Also he supplied them with claims that were backed by his accounting firm at that time. Since then that accounting firm has said that it no longer stands by Trump's claims.

By the way, what do you think of that trial so far? Do you think that it is unfair that it is a bench trial (a trial by a judge and no jury)? Did you realize that he was found to be guilty before the trial even started? Do you know why the judge found that?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Most banks probably looked into it, which is why most banks refused to give the Trumps any kind of loan.

But just because one bank was inept enough to fall for this fraud, doesn't mean it wasn't fraud.

Wandering Monk

Three years ago, his lawyers agreed in a tax filing that Mar-a-Lago was correctly valued by the county at $26.6 million. That assessment was based on the fact that Mar-a-Lago is deed restricted as a club, and isn’t listed as a private residence, which would have vastly improved its value.

While paying those down-to-earth taxes, Trump has been valuing the property at between $426.5 and $612 million in other legal filings, “an overvaluation of at least 2,300 percent, compared to the assessor’s appraisal,” the New York judge in his ongoing civil fraud trial noted.

• New York officials did not determine the value of former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida. The property appraiser in Palm Beach County, where the estate is located, assessed the property and determined its value.
  • In evaluating the property, Palm Beach County officials account for Mar-a-Lago’s being a deed-restricted private club. Unlike a private home, the property’s value is determined by the amount of income it generates as a club.

Twilight Hue

Word and reputation mean a lot. Also he supplied them with claims that were backed by his accounting firm at that time. Since then that accounting firm has said that it no longer stands by Trump's claims.

By the way, what do you think of that trial so far? Do you think that it is unfair that it is a bench trial (a trial by a judge and no jury)? Did you realize that he was found to be guilty before the trial even started? Do you know why the judge found that?
I'd abide with the judgment of the court once appeals have been exhausted.

As long as Trump (or anybody for that matter) gets a fair hearing among peers , allowed his defense, then even if found guilty it will be the end of the matter and Trump would have to pay his debt to society.

But I still feel that major elites are and will always be above the law. It's just too obvious to be ignored and I feel common people like you and me cannot ever do anything about it.

Twilight Hue

Most banks probably looked into it, which is why most banks refused to give the Trumps any kind of loan.

But just because one bank was inept enough to fall for this fraud, doesn't mean it wasn't fraud.
That's why it's in court clearly, but at the same time a number of banks are inept already which shouldn't reflect on the person seeking a loan if the bank didn't do the proper job on its part.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

As long as Trump (or anybody for that matter) gets a fair hearing among peers , allowed his defense, then even if found guilty it will be the end of the matter and Trump would have to pay his debt to society.

But I still feel that major elites are and will always be above the law. It's just too obvious to be ignored and I feel common people like you and me cannot ever do anything about it.
If you truly feel that the ruling elite are above the law then why are you not rooting for New York State in this case? You are not making any sense. You should want the elite to be not above the law.

Twilight Hue

If you truly feel that the ruling elite are above the law then why are you not rooting for New York State in this case? You are not making any sense. You should want the elite to be not above the law.
I don't an am not rooting albiet I wonder where that notion came from.

I'm just being realistic here.

Twilight Hue

No, that is giving up. If one does not fight back it just becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
The common man will never be able to do it.

Only the elites will ever rule over commoners like you and me and there's nothing anyone can ever do about it.

You can resist, maybe win a battle or two, but you (and me) will never ever win the overall war of social classes. It's too late and technology will be the weapon of power and control from this point out.

It's really past the point of no return when it concerns nobility vs the commoner.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

Well, a "major elite" is currently being held accountable for his actions, thus demonstrating he is not above the law.
This should make you happy, right?