• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump Assassination Attempt

McBell

Admiral Obvious
That chart has on rather odd feature. Black bears show up three times on it. In the lightest of the big game with the .30-30 rounds, I remember those as "brush guns". In the medium to long range rounds for big game. Both of those make sense. But then a third time in the with the largest of rounds. I think that last one must have been some sort of computer glitch.
I suspect the source (Bass Pro Shops) is referring to what costumers were claiming they were purchasing the rounds for?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yeah I believe a 30-06 would have done more damage if it nicked his ear. But its a deer rifle, not in AR-15 assault style weapon(sarcasm)

A 30-06 bullet is about 3 times the weight of a 223 bullet, its launches slower, has more energy and I do believe it retains more of its velocity at long range.
It all depends on the specific round being used. Bullets come in a wide variety of weights and designs, and the charges powering them vary, as well. Looking at the ballistics tables in my Shooter' Bible I see three full pages of 30-06 Springfield ballistic stats.
Deer rifle? As a deer rifle I'd say the 30-06 is overkill -- unless the deer is a moose. The larger round also has a lot of drop, which makes accuracy more difficult than with a smaller caliber.

In any case, the AR's are small caliber and high velocity. They're military styled, so mass produced, stamped metal and less than reliable actions and accuracy. It was a remarkable shot from 400 feet.
Had the shooter had a decent hunting weapon the accuracy would have been much improved.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In the competitive shooting world, "high power" simply refers
to center-fire cartridges used in matches, eg, 308, 223.
Interesting. I'd have thought it would have referred to pound feet of energy at a given range, rather than where the primer was located. That would make more sense.

We Never Know

No Slack
It all depends on the specific round being used. Bullets come in a wide variety of weights and designs, and the charges powering them vary, as well. Looking at the ballistics tables in my Shooter' Bible I see three full pages of 30-06 Springfield ballistic stats.
Deer rifle? As a deer rifle I'd say the 30-06 is overkill -- unless the deer is a moose. The larger round also has a lot of drop, which makes accuracy more difficult than with a smaller caliber.

In any case, the AR's are small caliber and high velocity. They're military styled, so mass produced, stamped metal and less than reliable actions and accuracy. It was a remarkable shot from 400 feet.
Had the shooter had a decent hunting weapon the accuracy would have been much improved.
The 30-06 is too small for moose IMO.

They are good for deer and elk.

You go by your bible. I will go by experience.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A "5.56 caliber"? The gun had a barrel diameter of 5.56 inches? Dang! That is not a rifle, that is a cannon. Maybe a .556? That is still a rather big gun, but it is not insane.
No! It's millimeters, and it's bore, not barrel diameter. They're tiny, lightweight rounds, designed so a soldier can carry a lot of them into the field without fatigue.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Interesting. I'd have thought it would have referred to pound feet of energy at a given range, rather than where the primer was located. That would make more sense.
It is what it is.....or what it was
back when I was involved.

We Never Know

No Slack
Again depending on who you ask.
Some say centerfire but shotguns, some smaller calibers rifles and some pistols use centerfire and aren't considered high power.
Some say its about the size, speed, energy/power and distance.

IMO a shotgun up close as pretty high powered lol

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
All of this effort to declare that the weapon used was not an "assault rifle". To what end? Usually, Second Amendment fundamentalists engage in this kind of dictionary gamesmanship in order to derail any serious or meaningful discussion over gun control, pretending that assault rifles are really just hunting rifles with large ammo clips--oops! er, magazines. I meant magazines! Not clips. Only a total ignoramus would call them clips! (In fact, technical and user manuals use the term "clips" quite often.) Technically, this is a lot of logic chopping over what everyone commonly calls an assault rifle except those engaged in social media discussions. At the end of the day, we are still looking at an incident where the shooter used America's favorite style of civilian assault rifle. It isn't military grade. It's a versatile terrorist grade assault rifle. And now you can fit bump stocks to them in order to make a handy-dandy automatic weapon that isn't technically a "machine gun" or "automatic rifle" thanks to the jerks on the Supreme Court.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

There is actually a lot more to it than the round itself.

Barrel length
bore style
barrel thickness
chambering of the round
etc..

McBell

Admiral Obvious
All of this effort to declare that the weapon used was not an "assault rifle". To what end? Usually, Second Amendment fundamentalists engage in this kind of dictionary gamesmanship in order to derail any serious or meaningful discussion over gun control, pretending that assault rifles are really just hunting rifles with large ammo clips--oops! er, magazines. I meant magazines! Not clips. Only a total ignoramus would call them clips! (In fact, technical and user manuals use the term "clips" quite often.) Technically, this is a lot of logic chopping over what everyone commonly calls an assault rifle except those engaged in social media discussions. At the end of the day, we are still looking at an incident where the shooter used America's favorite style of civilian assault rifle. It isn't military grade. It's a versatile terrorist grade assault rifle. And now you can fit bump stocks to them in order to make a handy-dandy automatic weapon that isn't technically a "machine gun" or "automatic rifle" thanks to the jerks on the Supreme Court.
Doesn't really matter what the wannabe assassin used.
The wannabe assassin could not aim it sufficiently enough to get the job done.

But you are right.
There are a lot people who get into technicalities when it comes to firearms and the terms used.
Of course there are far more who want to slap out a buttload (actual measurement) of worthless feel good, laws that are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Of course, if thy cannot enforce the laws currently on the books, what makes anyone think adding more laws will make a difference?

So it really is my opinion that despite all the talk about gun control, everyone in a position to get it done just flat refuse to get it done.

We Never Know

No Slack
Do you consider a tube fed 22lr semi-auto with a 16 round capacity an assault weapon?

Why or why not

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No! It's millimeters, and it's bore, not barrel diameter. They're tiny, lightweight rounds, designed so a soldier can carry a lot of them into the field without fatigue.
Except he used the word "caliber" especially since he is American as well that is measured in hundredths of inches and is written .22 for example:

And bore and barrel diameter are the same since people are concerned with the size of round that will fit inside it. As to "bore" that is sometimes synonymous to "gauge". A "four bore" or four gauge is a really big gun.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Do you consider a tube fed 22lr semi-auto with a 16 round capacity an assault weapon?

Why or why not
Though there are no hard numbers associated with it, an assault rifle usually fires very high velocity rounds. High velocity rounds do a lot more damage to a body than slower rounds like a .22lr. As me the same about a magazine fed .222 and you will get a different answer.

Since .222 rounds are much longer you won't get 16 in a tube which brings up another feature of an assault rifle. It needs to be able to be easily reloadable. I have reloaded .22 tubes and it is not quick. But then when I went hunting I was not blasting away like crazy. There was usually no need to reload.

We Never Know

No Slack
Though there are no hard numbers associated with it, an assault rifle usually fires very high velocity rounds. High velocity rounds do a lot more damage to a body than slower rounds like a .22lr. As me the same about a magazine fed .222 and you will get a different answer.

Since .222 rounds are much longer you won't get 16 in a tube which brings up another feature of an assault rifle. It needs to be able to be easily reloadable. I have reloaded .22 tubes and it is not quick. But then when I went hunting I was not blasting away like crazy. There was usually no need to reload.
Assault rifles are also defined by capacity.