• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unfair opinions about Islam :(

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I would never have known how Islam is viewed in the states, until I have taken an interest in it myself, and have shared that with a few of my offline friends, and online ones, as well. I'm not expecting anyone to support my decision to explore Islam, but I'm sadly surprised by the negative comments, and nasty remarks actually, by some. :(

To people who suffer from persecution of any type because of your faith, giving you a hug here.

I sometimes don't know how to answer people when they offer nasty remarks about Islam, I try my best to share what the faith is actually about, but they don't want to listen. Is it best to just stay quiet? Idk. I never dealt with this really, as a Christian. (except many mock Christians, I know)

Hey there :D

History of Islam does have blood in its hands, no doubt about that. Muslims do have the largest percentage of terrorists too. That, along with the religious propaganda everywhere.

Having the above said; Muslims and I don't blame people on fearing Islam, to be honest. We having a saying here that roughly translates to "Don't tell me how to be good, show me how to be good." There is no harm in talking people out of their negative views of Islam, but it has to be in specific ways. This verse:
16_125.png

Invite to the way of your Lord with wisdom and grace, and argue with them in a way that is amicable . Indeed, your Lord is most knowing of who has strayed from His way, and He is most knowing of who is [rightly] guided. [Quran 16:125]

Says what I want to say. But if that does not work, it is okay to not push it. Show them how it is in action. Islam tells us to respect the old, to consider the young, to have high family values, to avoid profanity, to be honest, to keep our word, to be responsible, to forgive, to be just, etc. Yes, it is okay to stay quiet if verbal attempts did not work well.

I've convinced someone before to try considering Muslims' (and Christians') feelings, and another to remove an offensive signature against the Prophet. Just by talking nicely to them. Their responses ultimately were very positive. I can tell you're a nice person, Deidre, so I believe doing the same won't be a problem for you.

My advice is to not let it bother you too much. Don't worry about those insulting Islam, they won't make a difference. Talk to them nicely, then let go of it of it does not work.

Again, God bless you :)

Servant_of_the_One1

Some of the unfair opinions are however proved by crazy terrorists. These terrorists are ignorants who sees only verses revealed about war(in context) and interpret these verses as a license to kill people.
The terrorists are biggest enemies of islam and muslims, because they do the most harm. Turning people away from the religion, portraying it as religion of violence. May Allah guide them.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I feel that all religions came from what we call pagans, and they tried to hide this fact by hatting them, and making everyone else hate them.
Without claiming to be the sole relative/representative of their special God, those who came up with monotheist religions had no position to stand.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Islam tells us to respect the old, to consider the young, to have high family values, to avoid profanity, to be honest, to keep our word, to be responsible, to forgive, to be just, etc.

Invite to the way of your Lord with wisdom and grace, and argue with them in a way that is amicable . Indeed, your Lord is most knowing of who has strayed from His way, and He is most knowing of who is [rightly] guided.
Quite funny. Is that something unique to Islam? All religions say that. These are the rules of all human societies, right from the time of Homo erectus.

You believe in someone lording over you. I am an atheist. I have no Lord to serve.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Quite funny. Is that something unique to Islam? All religions say that. These are the rules of all human societies, right from the time of Homo erectus.

You believe in someone lording over you. I am an atheist. I have no Lord to serve.

Did I say it was unique to Islam?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Did I say it was unique to Islam?
If it is not unique to Islam and all societies agree to it, then why is your Lord God after those who do not worship him? Let them be. What need Mohammad had to destroy the 360 idols in Mecca? And send a missive to king of Yemen to accept Islam or be invaded?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
If it is not unique to Islam and all societies agree to it, then why is your Lord God after those who do not worship him? Let them be. What need Mohammad had to destroy the 360 idols in Mecca? And send a missive to king of Yemen to accept Islam or be invaded?

I'm really sorry I don't have answers for those, but I do see them out of the contextual unity of Islam. I don't see God is after those who do not worship him (as chapter 109 of the Quran says) and I wasn't there to know the reasons of what happened with the king of Yemen. Maybe knowing the reason before giving judgements is not something unique to Islam as well?

Note:
That's a link up there between the brackets.

Last edited:

Deidre

Hey there :D

History of Islam does have blood in its hands, no doubt about that. Muslims do have the largest percentage of terrorists too. That, along with the religious propaganda everywhere.

Having the above said; Muslims and I don't blame people on fearing Islam, to be honest. We having a saying here that roughly translates to "Don't tell me how to be good, show me how to be good." There is no harm in talking people out of their negative views of Islam, but it has to be in specific ways. This verse:
16_125.png

Invite to the way of your Lord with wisdom and grace, and argue with them in a way that is amicable . Indeed, your Lord is most knowing of who has strayed from His way, and He is most knowing of who is [rightly] guided. [Quran 16:125]

Says what I want to say. But if that does not work, it is okay to not push it. Show them how it is in action. Islam tells us to respect the old, to consider the young, to have high family values, to avoid profanity, to be honest, to keep our word, to be responsible, to forgive, to be just, etc. Yes, it is okay to stay quiet if verbal attempts did not work well.

I've convinced someone before to try considering Muslims' (and Christians') feelings, and another to remove an offensive signature against the Prophet. Just by talking nicely to them. Their responses ultimately were very positive. I can tell you're a nice person, Deidre, so I believe doing the same won't be a problem for you.

My advice is to not let it bother you too much. Don't worry about those insulting Islam, they won't make a difference. Talk to them nicely, then let go of it of it does not work.

Again, God bless you :)

Okay, thank you...and God bless you, too. :)

As a side note...people forget about the repentance/forgiveness aspect of Islam that Muhammad talked about a lot. Not only instructing others but he too asked for forgiveness from God. This isn't to excuse behaviors, but that is the crux of the Abrahamic faiths...to make atonement when we have done wrong. Maybe Muhammad had things on his heart that troubled him, we don't know. But in the Qur'an, he specifically speaks of his own repentance. Muhammad was a fallible man, and Islam doesn't hold him up as immortal and infallible.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Maybe knowing the reason before giving judgements is not something unique to Islam as well?
Oh, I like Surat al-Kafirun (as it concern us) and quote it many times, but al-Tabari says something different:

"Now then: Your messenger reached us on our return from Byzantine territory and met us in Medina. He conveyed your message and told us your news and informed us of your (acceptance of) Islam and your killing of the polytheists. Indeed, God has guided you with His guidance. If you wish to do well .."

The History of al-Tabari Vol. 9: The Last Years of the Prophet: The ... - Ṭabarī - Google Books, page 74

Killing of polytheists is approved by God?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Muhammad was a fallible man, and Islam doesn't hold him up as immortal and infallible.
Mohmmad was not falliable. Don't tell that to any Muslims. See here:

1. Most examplary character (33:21) (68:4) 2. Sadiq (Truthful) (33:22) 3. Final judge and arbiter (4:65) (24:51) 4. Honoured, Noble (69: 40) 5. Forgiving (7:199) 6. He is Burhan (Clear Proof) (4:174) 7. Brave: Commands Muslims in battle (3:121)
Untitled Document

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Oh, I like Surat al-Kafirun (as it concern us) and quote it many times, but al-Tabari says something different:

"Now then: Your messenger reached us on our return from Byzantine territory and met us in Medina. He conveyed your message and told us your news and informed us of your (acceptance of) Islam and your killing of the polytheists. Indeed, God has guided you with His guidance. If you wish to do well .."

The History of al-Tabari Vol. 9: The Last Years of the Prophet: The ... - Ṭabarī - Google Books, page 74

Killing of polytheists is approved by God?

Al-Tabari? Different interpreters have different views. What matters the most is what the Quran clearly says.

Again, look at contexts and surroundings before giving judgements. Killing non believers was for a reason, not simply hunting them down for being non believers. Muslim countries with what's called Sharia law, do have polytheists these days and no one is killing them.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
What is wrong with pagans and if they were worshiping a thousand Gods. Why did Mohammad had to fight them (or Moses and Christians had to act against them)?
The Muslims were being harassed and persecuted by the pagans. The pagans also controlled access to Mecca and thereby the lucrative pilgrimage route. Of course this begs the question as to why the pagans had a problem with Muhammad. Certainly his preaching against their form of religion was a factor.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Killing non believers was for a reason, not simply hunting them down for being non believers. Muslim countries with what's called Sharia law, do have polytheists these days and no one is killing them.
Yes, that is correct. Rather than the non-believers, the Muslims are being killed as in the Shia mosque bomb in Pakistan (65 killed, hundreds maimed), or elsewhere?

Christian couple lynched in Pakistan recently for blasphemy.
545afa876f56f.jpg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The caste system & the status of women, is one example, please don't say that they were perfect just because you believe in that belief system.
Discrimination on basis of caste is punishable with a minimum sentence of five years in jail. India had a woman Prime Minister for 16 years and a woman 'behind the scene' controller for 10 years. We are just through from that stage.