• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unfair opinions about Islam :(

Theweirdtophat

Of course it's necessary to be sarcastic when someone makes a silly post.

Actually it's not. I've not only read the history behind it but I personally know good Muslims as well. Do you honestly think the media isn't unfair or bias? Have you seen their reports and looked at other sides of the stories?

So you can stop being rude at least.

arthra

Baha'i
For me the history of early Islam is important to understand the context of the Qur'anic verses... Once you understand that the early Muslims were engaging primarily in defensive actions and that Muslims were being boycotted and persecuted the later defensive actions after the Hijra make more sense..

I would suggest a few books on the topic... One is called The Preaching of Islam...You can read it online at

The Preaching Of Islam - English - T.W. ARNOLD - PDF

Another book online is by H.M. Balyuzi "Muhammad and the Course of Islam..

Holy-Writings.com - Read text

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Actually it's not. I've not only read the history behind it but I personally know good Muslims as well. Do you honestly think the media isn't unfair or bias? Have you seen their reports and looked at other sides of the stories?

So you can stop being rude at least.

Exactly which media are you referring to? There's the mainstream/corporate media, government media, alternative/independent media, etc.

Oh, and I know nice Muslims, too. What does that have to do with anything?

Deidre

For me the history of early Islam is important to understand the context of the Qur'anic verses... Once you understand that the early Muslims were engaging primarily in defensive actions and that Muslims were being boycotted and persecuted the later defensive actions after the Hijra make more sense..

I would suggest a few books on the topic... One is called The Preaching of Islam...You can read it online at

The Preaching Of Islam - English - T.W. ARNOLD - PDF

Another book online is by H.M. Balyuzi "Muhammad and the Course of Islam..

Holy-Writings.com - Read text

Yes, I have been reading about that, and so when I read or heat conflicting things (relating to early Islam) it becomes confusing. I will check out these links. thank you!
:)

Flankerl

I'm sure if you were living in a muslim country and thinking about converting to Judaism, your friends reaction might be quite similar

No it'd be quite different.
Also if they were her friends they'd advise her to stfu about anything like that.
If they aren't her real friends then she really got a problem on her hands.

But isn't it nice that she isn't living there so she can look into all kinds of ways for her life? :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
No it'd be quite different.
Also if they were her friends they'd advise her to stfu about anything like that.
If they aren't her real friends then she really got a problem on her hands.

But isn't it nice that she isn't living there so she can look into all kinds of ways for her life? :)
Yeah, I'm trying to wrap my head around a Muslim converting to Judaism in a Muslim majority country. I'm sure that would go over well, with her friends mildly chiding her and saying unkind things about Jews...

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm sure if you were living in a muslim country and thinking about converting to Judaism, your friends reaction might be quite similar

This is one of the most delusional and ignorant statements I have read on these forums. You really need to do proper research to avoid making such intellectually bankrupt statements.

Levite

Higher and Higher
In 650AD Talmud was Hebrew scripture, what was not Hebrew scripture was the whole rest of the Old Testament except for the Pentateuch.

There is no part of that which is accurate. Up to and including the word "the."

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It's not necessary to be sarcastic. The media is well known for being usually unfair and bias. A lot of hatred towards other groups is due to propaganda. It has been like that for a while.

That specific well has been visited a bit too often, IMO. Media is of course not reliable, but it is not unwilling to show diverse perspectives either. They have a fierce internal competition, after all, and need original messages to show.

And, of course, about one person in five in the whole world is a Muslim. One would expect bias to fly only so far. Or at the very least, to actual examples and counters to the bias to be easier to find.

Often we end up having to take on faith that there is a nearly all-powerful conspiracy of bias against Islam, with hardly any evidence to show for it. At the same time we are also invited to gloss over Quranic verses that talk about keeping infidels and women in their proper places, apparently just because or supposedly because God wants so.

And now and then, we are reminded that "there is no compulsion in religion", an odd verse that apparently no one feels entitled or capable of actually interpreting or explaining. It is presented almost as a mystical evocation, self-sufficient and with no need of connections to anything else.

So no, I don't think the appeal to media bias holds any weight any more. Not by itself, certainly.

Deidre

I like how so many people who don't follow and/or have never followed Islam...are suddenly ''experts'' on Islam. lol

I appreciate the sentiments, Think I'll bow out of this thread now....

Some of you have outdone yourself in generosity, even when expressing views that express dislike of Islam (thank you)...and some of you have outdone yourself in rudeness.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I like how so many people who don't follow and/or have never followed Islam...are suddenly ''experts'' on Islam. lol

I appreciate the sentiments, Think I'll bow out of this thread now....

Some of you have outdone yourself in generosity, even when expressing views that express dislike of Islam...and some of you have outdone yourself in rudeness.
I think you are right but can't you blame people how they think about Islam, Islam needs a lot of work to get people to trust them again. This would be the same with any religion that had idiots within their circles that terrorising people, even if its not of their beliefs to do these things, people only react to what they see, and as you know yourself there has been a lot of bad stuff going on in Islam's name.

Deidre

how
I think you are right but can't you blame people who they think about Islam, Islam needs a lot of work to get people to trust them again. This would be the same with any religion that had idiots within their circles that terrorising people, even if its not of their beliefs to do these things, people only react to what they see, and as you know yourself there has been a lot of bad stuff going on in Islam's name.

Yes, agree...but, I'm not telling anyone to accept or support Islam, though.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Yes, agree...but, I'm not telling anyone to accept or support Islam, though.
Yes but sadly there is fear, its only fear that is driving what seems to be hatred for Islam. Try to find the best of Islam and share that, such as the teachings or scriptures that go against what these idiots are doing against Islam's name, that is all you can do.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's My Birthday!
He didn't go after non believers he was referring to the Arab Pagans which the Muslims were fighting at the time.
What is wrong with pagans and if they were worshiping a thousand Gods. Why did Mohammad had to fight them (or Moses and Christians had to act against them)?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
What is wrong with pagans and if they were worshiping a thousand Gods. Why did Mohammad had to fight them (or Moses and Christians had to act against them)?
I feel that all religions came from what we call pagans, and they tried to hide this fact by hatting them, and making everyone else hate them.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's My Birthday!
Try to find the best of Islam and share that, such as the teachings or scriptures that go against what these idiots are doing against Islam's name, that is all you can do.
And keep your eyes closed to the message or actions of cruelty in the Abrahamic religions? Is that what you want? I find this quite idiotic.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
And keep your eyes closed to the message or actions of cruelty in the Abrahamic religions? Is that what you want? I find this quite idiotic.
Well take a look at the Christians and their bible, especially the old testament, what's the difference ?.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This may be hard to believe or accept for some, but there is indeed such a thing as legitimate, non-shameful, non-satanic criticism of Islam.

Or, at the very least, the lazy choice of automatically assuming that such criticism is to be summarily disregarded or even hated outright is not very mature and not very respectable.

Non-believers in Islam are not inherently monstrous and have no duty to always assume the most favorable hypothesis available for the continued reputation of Islamic Faith. Demanding that we do so is, at the very best, naive.