• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unfair opinions about Islam :(

Deidre

My problem is that I'm disgusted with the history of it, don't agree with many of the core doctrines and throw up a middle finger at many of the teachings as is.
lol

I actually converted to it as a teenager. It was my idea. I tried so hard to live up to it all. I was part of the Diocesan Youth Council (until I was kicked off for missing a few meetings when my grandfather died and we were going through hell at my house), went to the National Catholic Youth Conference, was an altar server, argued with many of my peers defending Catholicism, etc.

Don't worry so much...we are all works in progress, and if you find solace in the RCC...let it be. :)

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
well...you find something. lol otherwise, you wouldn't be there. ;)
maybe too...we hope for acceptance as much as we hope to accept.

Maybe. It's pretty complicated and my life is very much **** right now so that's reverberating throughout all aspects of myself.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I understand your reluctance to engage in a lengthy discussion about whether the Qur'an is soft or harsh, but the very presence of harsh verses creates an unpleasant picture. But as per your wish, I will not get in to the discussion of which verses control what verses. Let us once again recite Surat al-Kafirun and part in peace.

I agree, those verse really are unpleasant. I believe they also made some Muslims take them for granted out of context, ignoring all other verses that control them, either to achieve political power or out of ignorance (as I see it).

I had peace in mind all along actually. I might have been (unintentionally) rude somewhere in our discussion. If so, please forgive me.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Of course, you were never rude in the discussion and I appreciate that. After all, I had a close Muslim friend in my college days who I was told went to Saudi Arabia after getting his medical degree from India. We had a nice time together.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Also, I'm readily aware that my ability to practice any religion as I wish, or not at all...that special freedom is mainly because I live in a country that separates religion from government. Which is a necessary freedom that I wish all could experience.
:) My religion allows me to be an atheist. It only demands responsible social action (dharma) from me.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Good point. I believe you heard of those wanted to make a difference and what they got in return. It is unfortunate I cannot afford risking myself because I have family to take care of.

Sometimes I'm actually not sure whether to believe what I do believe on that particular matter, given the insistent denials.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Born and raised in any religion is called conditioning.
It may be called conditioning by those who are too attached to having convenient, automatic labels for everything without actually considering the particularities of each situation.

It often is conditioning.

It does not have to be, though.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Sometimes I'm actually not sure whether to believe what I do believe on that particular matter, given the insistent denials.

There is a saying that translates to "who does not have something, cannot give it.". If I'm not a warrior, a good speaker, tough at heart, don't have the heart to debate, etc., how can I do them? I would be stupid if I do what I cannot do and make things worse.

Jumi

That's a good point Smart_Guy, not everyone's the same and they shouldn't need to be.