• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZooGirl02

"And al-Razi says in his interpretation of the quranic verse (9:29) in which the jizya was enacted:

The intention of taking the jizya is not to approve the disbelief of non-Muslims in Islam, but rather to spare their lives and to give them some time; in hope that during it; they might stop to reflect on the virtues of Islam and its compelling arguments, and consequently converting from disbelief to belief. That's why it's important to pay the jizya with humiliation and servility, because naturally, any sensible person cannot stand humiliation and servility. So if the disbeliever is given some time watching the pride of Islam and hearing evidences of its authenticity, and see the humiliation of the disbelief, then apparently this might carry him to convert to Islam, and that's the main rationale behind the enactment of the jizya.

Many scholars believe jizya is sanctioned by the Qur'an, the primary source of Islamic law, based on the following verse:

Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.
—Qur'an, [Quran 9:29]

Other scholars claim the tax rates and amounts were fixed and strictly implemented. The rate of jizya and Kharaj tax, head tax and land tax respectively, exceeded 20% for all non-Muslims, and payable by new moon. In the western Islamic states, for dhimmis who were Christians and Jews of Egypt and Morocco, these taxes were often graded into three levels with minimum rate being 20% of all estimated assets and any sales. The highest rates ranged from 33% to 80% of all annual farm produce on land inside the Islamic empire. In the eastern Islamic states, for dhimmis who were Hindus and Jains, the tax structure were similar, with non-Muslims paying jizya and Kharaj tax rate at least twice the zakat tax rate paid by Muslims. The discriminatory and high tax rates led to mass civil protests of 1679 in India, these protests were crushed by Aurangzeb.

Along with jizya as head tax (sometimes called neck tax), non-Muslims were also required to pay Kharaj as land tax. This was levied on anyone who worked on land or owned property on land. Both jizya and kharaj were not payable by Muslims or if the non-Muslim converted to Islam. Other taxes payable, by or from the property of non-Muslim subjects, along with jizya were fai, ghanima and ushur. Fai (sometimes spelled fay) was non-Muslim property seized by a Muslim official; the non-Muslim was sometimes allowed to reclaim the seized property by paying 100% of assessed value of the seized property. Ghanima was the 20% tax paid by the Muslim army commander on the booty and plunder collected from non-Muslims by force (anwatan) after a war or after the commander launched a raid against non-Muslim trade posts, temples, or caravans. The commander and his Muslim soldiers were entitled to keep 80% of the booty. Ushur (sometimes spelled ushr) was customs tax payable when people entered or exited the borders of an Islamic state. Non-Muslims paid twice the rate than Muslims on assessed value of property in possession of the transiting person. This was in addition to the jizya."
Jizya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, Muslims pay Zakat and the non-muslims pay the Jiziyah. Where is the problem? And Islam sure is a religion of love and peace.

So basically it was a way of coercing non-Muslims into converting to Islam?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
"And al-Razi says in his interpretation of the quranic verse (9:29) in which the jizya was enacted:

The intention of taking the jizya is not to approve the disbelief of non-Muslims in Islam, but rather to spare their lives and to give them some time; in hope that during it; they might stop to reflect on the virtues of Islam and its compelling arguments, and consequently converting from disbelief to belief. That's why it's important to pay the jizya with humiliation and servility, because naturally, any sensible person cannot stand humiliation and servility. So if the disbeliever is given some time watching the pride of Islam and hearing evidences of its authenticity, and see the humiliation of the disbelief, then apparently this might carry him to convert to Islam, and that's the main rationale behind the enactment of the jizya.

Many scholars believe jizya is sanctioned by the Qur'an, the primary source of Islamic law, based on the following verse:

Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

Other scholars claim the tax rates and amounts were fixed and strictly implemented. The rate of jizya and Kharaj tax, head tax and land tax respectively, exceeded 20% for all non-Muslims, and payable by new moon. In the western Islamic states, for dhimmis who were Christians and Jews of Egypt and Morocco, these taxes were often graded into three levels with minimum rate being 20% of all estimated assets and any sales. The highest rates ranged from 33% to 80% of all annual farm produce on land inside the Islamic empire. In the eastern Islamic states, for dhimmis who were Hindus and Jains, the tax structure were similar, with non-Muslims paying jizya and Kharaj tax rate at least twice the zakat tax rate paid by Muslims. The discriminatory and high tax rates led to mass civil protests of 1679 in India, these protests were crushed by Aurangzeb.

Along with jizya as head tax (sometimes called neck tax), non-Muslims were also required to pay Kharaj as land tax. This was levied on anyone who worked on land or owned property on land. Both jizya and kharaj were not payable by Muslims or if the non-Muslim converted to Islam. Other taxes payable, by or from the property of non-Muslim subjects, along with jizya were fai, ghanima and ushur. Fai (sometimes spelled fay) was non-Muslim property seized by a Muslim official; the non-Muslim was sometimes allowed to reclaim the seized property by paying 100% of assessed value of the seized property. Ghanima was the 20% tax paid by the Muslim army commander on the booty and plunder collected from non-Muslims by force (anwatan) after a war or after the commander launched a raid against non-Muslim trade posts, temples, or caravans. The commander and his Muslim soldiers were entitled to keep 80% of the booty. Ushur (sometimes spelled ushr) was customs tax payable when people entered or exited the borders of an Islamic state. Non-Muslims paid twice the rate than Muslims on assessed value of property in possession of the transiting person. This was in addition to the jizya."

So, Muslims pay Zakat and the non-muslims pay the Jiziyah. Where is the problem? And Islam sure is a religion of love and peace.

That is nonsense.

Where is the peace ?

Women that are forced to work as prostitutes because of need while living in the richest countries.

Where is the peace ?

When millions died all around the world in world war 1 & 2

Just read the timeline of wars in the world and see where is peace.

So everything is OK and we are living in a wonderful peaceful world but the only proplem with this world is the Jiziyah and Islam.

Can a poor Indian work in USA without asking for a Visa, whereas any American can visit India without Visa.

If the world is indeed a peaceful one,then those borders should be eliminated,the earth should be the home for all people regardless of their religion or in which land they had born.

Which peace you are talking about ?
The rockets,chemical weapons,warplanes,biological weapons...etc

Jiziyah, what a great issue :facepalm:

gnostic

The Lost One
zoogirl02 said:
So basically it was a way of coercing non-Muslims into converting to Islam?
it has no other purpose.

the whole no compulsion is utter ridiculous and baseless assertion made by a worthless book.

it is a religion trying to controlling how we live, and make up helpless, because we can't bear arms...not that I ever want to become a soldier or to fight in a war.

Non-Muslims are treated as second citizens. Look how Egyptian Muslims treat the Copts, as 2nd citizens? They are both citizens of Egypt, and yet Muslims have more rights. And despite, have more rights, Muslims often destroyed churches and properties owned by Copts, when they have been imaginary slighted. they always blamed the Copts, when something happened outside of Egypt.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
it has no other purpose.

the whole no compulsion is utter ridiculous and baseless assertion made by a worthless book.

it is a religion trying to controlling how we live, and make up helpless, because we can't bear arms...not that I ever want to become a soldier or to fight in a war.

Non-Muslims are treated as second citizens. Look how Egyptian Muslims treat the Copts, as 2nd citizens? They are both citizens of Egypt, and yet Muslims have more rights. And despite, have more rights, Muslims often destroyed churches and properties owned by Copts, when they have been imaginary slighted. they always blamed the Copts, when something happened outside of Egypt.

And because they were forced to convert to Islam then that is the reason that we can see still Christians and Jews living in the muslim world.

what about the golden age of Jews in Alandalus,why they didn't convert to Islam ?

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
In history Christianity did something simmilar but instead of tax they made them into dead people.

in the history of the west :
in the history of western , the western killed each other more than the muslims , and most of the countries suffered under the occupation and steal of their fortune ...etc

the statics said , it's more than 60 millions victimes in two wars , in WW1 and WW2!!!

let me back to the history of the Chritianity :
I have this little comment , to don't waste my time to post facts :

I always notice your avatar , which show a christian knight assault by sword !!!

is not that mean the history of the Christianity spread by sword ?

Last edited:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
in the history of western , the western killed each other more than the muslims , and most of the countries suffered under the occupation and steal of their fortune ...etc

the statics said , it's more than 60 millions victimes in two wars , in WW1 and WW2!!!

I always notice your avatar , which show a christian knight assault by sword !!!

is not mean the history of the Christianity ?

Maybe this will disappoint you,the Knight wears the flag of my country and England my Lionheart is a song by Kate Bush.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

is not that mean the history of the Christianity spread by sword ?

Just to say that your country was under the control of Nazi Germany and Vichy France during WW2,tomorrow is the 70th anniversary of D-Day,a day that eventually changed that control and many died doing it.

Politics and religion are peas from the same pod IMO,really its about power and both are excellent at getting people to kill each other to get it.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Maybe this will disappoint you,the Knight wears the flag of my country and England my Lionheart is a song by Kate Bush.
thanks for share

accualty you help me (not disppoint me) , so that was the clothes of knight of England in the past :yes:

so the knight wears a cross did not mention to christianity , mention to math (PLUS) ?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
thanks for share

accualty you help me (not disppoint me) , so that was the clothes of knight of England in the past :yes:

so the knight wears a cross did not mention to christianity , mention to math (PLUS) ?

The flag of my country bears the cross of saint George so it definitely has Christian symbolism,to me its just the flag of my country.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Just to say that your country was under the control of Nazi Germany and Vichy France during WW2,tomorrow is the 70th anniversary of D-Day,a day that eventually changed that control and many died doing it.

Politics and religion are peas from the same pod IMO,really its about power and both are excellent at getting people to kill each other to get it.

I know tomorrow is D-Day , and I know my country and many other countried suffered by the occupations especialy of France and GB in that time

so my point is the NAZI and Allies killed each other AND others , more than muslims killing each other AND others .

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
You know, I am not sure whether or not Islam was historically spread by the sword or not but I know it is in some instances in modern days. For example, the girls from Nigeria who were kidnapped by Boko Haram were forced to convert to Islam. There have also been instances of forced conversion to Islam in Syrian civil war however there are foreign fighters there as well, some of which are extremists. Perhaps the forced conversions came from the extremists.

Yes that is doing of the extremists under cover of religion.

That is against the teaching of Quran/Islam/Muhammad.

Islam spread in the world peacefully.

Islam in India

Trade relations have existed between Arabia and the Indian subcontinent since ancient times. Even in the pre-Islamic era, Arab traders used to visit the Malabar region, which linked them with the ports of South East Asia. Newly Islamised Arabs were Islam's first contact with India. The historians Elliot and Dowson say in their book The History of India as told by its own Historians, the first ship bearing Muslim travellers was seen on the Indian coast as early as 630 AD. H.G. Rawlinson, in his book: Ancient and Medieval History of India[11] claims the first Arab Muslims settled on the Indian coast in the last part of the 7th century AD. Shaykh Zainuddin Makhdum's "Tuhfat al-Mujahidin" is also a reliable work.[12] This fact is corroborated, by J. Sturrock in his South Kanara and Madras Districts Manuals,[13] and also by Haridas Bhattacharya in Cultural Heritage of India Vol. IV.[14] It was with the advent of Islam that the Arabs became a prominent cultural force in the world. The Arab merchants and traders became the carriers of the new religion and they propagated it wherever they went.[15]

Muslim neighbourhood in Delhi circa 1852.
The first Indian mosque, Cheraman Juma Masjid, is thought to have been built in 629 AD by Malik Bin Deenar.[16][17][18][19]
In Malabar, the Mappilas may have been the first community to convert to Islam as they were more closely connected with the Arabs than others. Intensive missionary activities were carried out along the coast and many natives also embraced Islam. These new converts were now added to the Mappila community. Thus among the Mappilas, we find, both the descendants of the Arabs through local women and the converts from among the local people.[15]

Islam in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I know tomorrow is D-Day , and I know my country and many other countried suffered by the occupations especialy of France and GB in that time

so my point is the NAZI and Allies killed each other AND others , more than muslims killing each other AND others .

I think your making ground,the wars in the west were about different things whereas the wars of Muslims are about one thing.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Yes that is doing of the extremists under cover of religion.

That is against the teaching of Quran/Islam/Muhammad.

Islam spread in the world peacefully.

Islam in India

Trade relations have existed between Arabia and the Indian subcontinent since ancient times. Even in the pre-Islamic era, Arab traders used to visit the Malabar region, which linked them with the ports of South East Asia. Newly Islamised Arabs were Islam's first contact with India. The historians Elliot and Dowson say in their book The History of India as told by its own Historians, the first ship bearing Muslim travellers was seen on the Indian coast as early as 630 AD. H.G. Rawlinson, in his book: Ancient and Medieval History of India[11] claims the first Arab Muslims settled on the Indian coast in the last part of the 7th century AD. Shaykh Zainuddin Makhdum's "Tuhfat al-Mujahidin" is also a reliable work.[12] This fact is corroborated, by J. Sturrock in his South Kanara and Madras Districts Manuals,[13] and also by Haridas Bhattacharya in Cultural Heritage of India Vol. IV.[14] It was with the advent of Islam that the Arabs became a prominent cultural force in the world. The Arab merchants and traders became the carriers of the new religion and they propagated it wherever they went.[15]

Muslim neighbourhood in Delhi circa 1852.
The first Indian mosque, Cheraman Juma Masjid, is thought to have been built in 629 AD by Malik Bin Deenar.[16][17][18][19]
In Malabar, the Mappilas may have been the first community to convert to Islam as they were more closely connected with the Arabs than others. Intensive missionary activities were carried out along the coast and many natives also embraced Islam. These new converts were now added to the Mappila community. Thus among the Mappilas, we find, both the descendants of the Arabs through local women and the converts from among the local people.[15]

Islam in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards

It is unfortunate that Islamophobic (if I get the word right) people only search for the hiccups done by Muslims and use them against Islam and all Muslims as a whole. They only look at the uncivilized acts of kidnapping and raping, and ignore facts like the ones you, with my appreciation, post. As if they don't know that for example Malaysia, and Brunei are Muslim countries under Islamic rule!

I'm talking generally, not about members here!

Godobeyer

Premium Member
The flag of my country bears the cross of saint George so it definitely has Christian symbolism,to me its just the flag of my country.
cool that's what i am talking about :)

for me too , it's history (Saint George) of your country too ,

I search about the history of Saint George , and i found this :
St George is the patron saint of England and among the most famous of Christian figures. But of the man himself, nothing is certainly known. Our earliest source, Eusebius of Caesarea, writing c. 322, tells of a soldier of noble birth who was put to death under Diocletian at Nicomedia on 23 April, 303, but makes no mention of his name, his country or his place of burial. According to the apocryphal Acts of St George current in various versions in the Eastern Church from the fifth century, George held the rank of tribune in the Roman army and was beheaded by Diocletian for protesting against the Emperor's persecution of Christians. George rapidly became venerated throughout Christendom as an example of bravery in defence of the poor and the defenceless and of the Christian faith.

how some christians used it

The reason the Church now simply commemorates St George is that, although he certainly existed, so little is definitely known about him. Most of the legends about George are apochryphal and indeed incredible. The Church has never officially held that these legends are literally true, but made use of them to illustrate some of its teachings in times when people were more comfortable with such materials. As early as 496, Pope Gelasius in De libris recipiendis includes George among those saints 'whose names are rightly reverenced among us, but whose actions are known only to God'. The virtues associated with St George, such as courage, honour and fortitude in defence of the Christian faith, indeed remain as important as ever. St George is also, of course, venerated in the Church of England, by the Orthodox churches and by the Churches of the Near East and Ethiopia. The supposed tomb of St George can still be seen at Lod, south-east of Tel-Aviv; and a convent in Cairo preserves personal objects which are believed to have belonged to George.

from this link :
St. George - England's Patron Saint

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
thanks for share

I don't know enough about ancient armor to say, but what I see in England my lionheart's avatar is a "Christian soldier" Crusading to rescue the holy land from Muslims. Ironic, if true.

Tom

gnostic

The Lost One
feargod said:
The divorced woman takes her rights by power of law and she can marry once again.
yeah, right.

even when they go through legal channel, who do you think a Muslim courts favour?

who get the house when they divorce?

who get the custody of the children if they divorce?

most often the Muslim judges or courts rule in favour the husbands.

Look up the statistics, and it will show in Muslim countries, the judges most often favour the men over the women.

in Australia, when the divorced occurred and the court give custody to the women, some Muslim men would take the children, and moved to another countries, so the mothers can't have the children. that how much Muslims respect the law in a country they live in, by breaking the law, when it doesn't go their ways.

this happened several times in Australia, and one of them happened not so long ago, where the divorced father took his children to Lebanon, when they were at war. to Muslims it is legal for father to abduct his children and spirit his children, but illegal for mother to bring them home in Australia.

decades ago, this happen with marriage between a Malaysian prince and Australian woman. the woman got custody of her children in Australian court, but instead of respecting the court ruling, he spirited the children to Malaysia, and she didn't see her son and daughter until they were adults.

it is this double standard that Muslims have, who only respect Australian law only when it suit them, but go about breaking the law when it doesn't suit them, which is why I have no respect for some Muslim husbands in divorces.

quite frankly, if they can't respect the law of the country they live in, I will be quite happy for them if they were to migrate to another country that suit them.

mahasn ebn sawresho

Yes tribute to the meaning of humiliation and shame
It One of the means used by the Muslims to coerce non-Muslims in countries occupied by Muslims, such as Iraq, Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Palestine
Zakat religious duty and not mandatory ---
Zakat jurisprudence of worship and not transactions ----
Non-Muslims pay Zakat also it a religious duty ----
Here is a Muslim pays tribute Zakat also ----
Zakat is obligatory religious and secular is not
obligatoryThe concept of the tax in the West differs uncle concept of Zakat ----
In terms of the source of legislation in the West and Islam ---
Source of tax legislation in the West is the law and the people -
While the source of legislation Zakat is the Koran -
It's a divine source says Muslims—
Tribute is a penalty or punishment ---
You are not Muslims pay tribute ---
-Because in every religion there Zakat and alms ---
So who pays tribute to Islam and Zakat ---
Tribute and arbitrary manner -
This kind of discrimination between Muslims and non-Muslims in Muslim countries
But Islam is a religion of love, this is not the subject ---
Koran which states fight
And fighting against peace -
And Islam, which states that discrimination against loving –
In the west to Atdf income tax ---
If I worked pay this tax is no difference between a Muslim and a Christian
If you buy a property pay property tax there is no difference between a Christian and a Muslim or a Buddhist –
Tax in the West does not mean humiliation does not mean servility ---
When Muslims occupy any country imposing tribute to the country ---
Tribute is a means of occupation and in this way has been changed geographic regionIf Muslims occupied England ---
The tribute imposed on them by force -
This is what happened between the king of the Persians and Muslims ---
The meaning of the word submissive humiliation and shame -
The poll tax, which means that the development of this tribute is not fair ---
Justice will be among the people without distinction of religion -
But in the Islamic state discrimination in religion and clear

Status
Not open for further replies.