• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
You know, I am not sure whether or not Islam was historically spread by the sword or not but I know it is in some instances in modern days. For example, the girls from Nigeria who were kidnapped by Boko Haram were forced to convert to Islam. There have also been instances of forced conversion to Islam in Syrian civil war however there are foreign fighters there as well, some of which are extremists. Perhaps the forced conversions came from the extremists.

Yes that is doing of the extremists under cover of religion.

That is against the teaching of Quran/Islam/Muhammad.

Islam spread in the world peacefully.

Peaceful spread of Islam in Malaysia:

Malaysia is a multiconfessional country with Islam being the largest practiced religion, comprising approximately 61.3% Muslim adherents, or around 19.5 million people, as of 2013.[1] Article 3 of the Constitution of Malaysia establishes Islam as the "religion of the Federation".[2][3] However, Malaysia's law and jurisprudence is based on the English common law. Sharia law is applicable only to Muslims, and is restricted to family law and religious observances. Therefore, there has been much debate on whether Malaysia is a secular state or an Islamic state.
History
Individual Arab traders, including Sahabas preached in the Malay Archipelago, Indo-China and China in the early seventh century.[11] The Islamic Cham people of Cambodia trace their origin to Jahsh (Geys), the father of Zainab and thus one of the fathers-in-law of the Islamic prophet Muhammad. Islam was introduced to the Sumatran coast by Arabs in 674 CE.[12]
Islam was also brought to Malaysia by Indian Muslim traders in the 12th century AD. It is commonly held that Islam first arrived in Malay peninsular since Sultan Mudzafar Shah I (12th century) of Kedah (Hindu name Phra Ong Mahawangsa), the first ruler to be known to convert to Islam after being introduced to it by Indian traders who themselves were recent converts. In the 13th century, the Terengganu Stone Monument was found at Kuala Berang, Terengganu where the first Malay state to receive Islam in 1303 Sultan Megat Iskandar Shah, known as Parameswara prior to his conversion, is the first Sultan of Melaka. He converted into Islam after marrying a princess from Pasai, of present day Indonesia.
The religion was adopted peacefully by the coastal trading ports people of Malaysia and Indonesia, absorbing rather than conquering existing beliefs. By the 15th and 16th centuries it was the majority faith of the Malay people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/islam_in_malaysia

Regards

Last edited:

Flankerl

War is not the concepts of Christianity ---
Love and tolerance of Christian morality West ---
States infidel West and others that are working on the establishment of special schools to teach the children of the Muslim Koran fact ---
As a book authored by Muhammad ---
Christian morality and learning or even Hindu and Aboveh to it the finest of the teachings of the Koran

Yeah what ever.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
The hadith doesn't make sense,as it assumes in advance that the Muslim army is the winner in all battles and then asking the disbelievers to accept Islam while fighting, how silly is it, how to fight and call to Islam at the same moment, what kind of war is it ?

Imagine i am a muslim worrier and fighting the disbeliever then asking him "accept Islam or i'll kill you", how funny it is, how am i sure that i can kill him and not the contrary.

I don't accept those kind of hadith.

You don't but a significant amount of people do,there are many contentious hadith,this is from memory but a hadith reported about the three generations to come after your prophet would be like him and the companions AKA the Salaf,there are many who believe they are emulating those people.

mahasn ebn sawresho

I ain't interesting in wasting my time with your propaganda.

Your posts are childish ones.

Shalom
to feargod ---
Why uttered words not pretty ---
If my childish -
So you have to respond to them ----
And also teach me ----
For example --- meaning tribute ----
For example, the meaning of wife beating
For example, who owns the right to the rhythm of divorce ---
For example, temporary marriage and the difference between Shiites and others ---
For example, the meaning of the nymphs in heaven ----
Are these threads boys
to smart -gay --
we are Here because we discuss Islamic thought -
And do not speak about specific cases -----
Yes you are a good man -----
But you neglected texts of the Koran also ----
You know that when the Koran says beating your spouse you my be refuses to do so
But you can not say that this text is not good because you fair to do
you Muslim
But I say
I say this verse is not true -
This is the intention of the dialogue ---

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
to feargod ---
Why uttered words not pretty ---
If my childish -
So you have to respond to them ----
And also teach me ----
For example --- meaning tribute ----
For example, the meaning of wife beating
For example, who owns the right to the rhythm of divorce ---
For example, temporary marriage and the difference between Shiites and others ---
For example, the meaning of the nymphs in heaven ----
Are these threads boys

OK,let me teach you

tribute (jiziah) is tax,similar to the taxes we pay nowadays for the government regardless of religion,in ancient times Muslims pay Zakat and also fight whereas the non-muslims pay the Jiziyah and defended by the Muslim troops.

There is no wife beating,it is misinterpretation and you should realize it yourself since you know the Arabic language.

Women can ask for divorce and the judge will ask for her rights from her husband, so she is protected and also if her husband divorced her,then he will pay for her as per marriage contract.

I don't know about temporary marriage but i don't think it is much worse than having a girlfriend for a month or a prostitute for an hour.

nymphs in heaven, when i go to heaven i will send you a fax telling you how they look like or what they are, but as you know (حور) isn't a feminine name, so we aren't talking about ladies.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
You don't but a significant amount of people do,there are many contentious hadith,this is from memory but a hadith reported about the three generations to come after your prophet would be like him and the companions AKA the Salaf,there are many who believe they are emulating those people.

I think the best example for a Muslim fighter which even recorded by the west is Saladin.

Saladin: A Benevolent Man Respected By Christians - Islamic History - Reading Islam - OnIslam.net

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
OK,let me teach you

tribute (jiziah) is tax,similar to the taxes we pay nowadays for the government regardless of religion,in ancient times Muslims pay Zakat and also fight whereas the non-muslims pay the Jiziyah and defended by the Muslim troops.

There is no wife beating,it is misinterpretation and you should realize it yourself since you know the Arabic language.

Women can ask for divorce and the judge will ask for her rights from her husband, so she is protected and also if her husband divorced her,then he will pay for her as per marriage contract.

I don't know about temporary marriage but i don't think it is much worse than having a girlfriend for a month or a prostitute for an hour.

nymphs in heaven, when i go to heaven i will send you a fax telling you how they look like or what they are, but as you know (حور) isn't a feminine name, so we aren't talking about ladies.

I'm afraid you're wasting your time. Haters hate no matter what!

Some also use the Arabic pronounced names for their own ulterior motives and can't believe they find it related to Islam in its definition so they can bash Islam for it!

Why can't people accept each other for the persons they are instead of the beliefs they follow? Why must we interpret the beliefs the way we want and bash the people following it accordingly? People must get rid of the hatred, bias, animosity and irrationality in decision making!

All I find in debating threads anymore is attacking each other. Please wake up, we're not suppose to destructively criticize or bash each other like that. It only makes it worse!

mahasn ebn sawresho

I'm afraid you're wasting your time. Haters hate no matter what!

Some also use the Arabic pronounced names for their own ulterior motives and can't believe they find it related to Islam in its definition so they can bash Islam for it!

Why can't people accept each other for the persons they are instead of the beliefs they follow? Why must we interpret the beliefs the way we want and bash the people following it accordingly? People must get rid of the hatred, bias, animosity and irrationality in decision making!

All I find in debating threads anymore is attacking each other. Please wake up, we're not suppose to destructively criticize or bash each other like that. It only makes it worse!
No, my friend ----
I'm not talking the purpose of hatred ----
I'm talking right ---
When i am preach the gospel i must tell what the Bible says and does not hide anything from it ---
and When you preach the Koran you must says what the Koran ---
So people know the truth and believe in them ---
for exampl---Tribute of the simplest teachings of the Koran ----
And who are paying tribute is not Muslims ----
why are you trying to hide the truth,
my friend ----Wife-beating from the Koran orders ---
why are you trying to circumvent the text ---
--- Fun or pleasure marriage ---
and why forbidden by Omar ibn al-Khattab ---do explan to me >>--- Fun or pleasure marriage[FONT=&quot] زواج المتعة [/FONT]
Interpretation of state divorce ---
And liquefied two divorce and all concepts and Islamic states ---
Testimony of two women equal to the testimony of one man and the Quranic verse clear ---
I'm not talking about the morality of Muhammad ---
I'm talking about concepts and ideas of Islamic
Why stab in my credibility ---
If you want to know taught me what you know about these concepts

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
No, my friend ----
I'm talking right ---
When i am preach the gospel i must tell what the Bible says and does not hide anything from it ---
and why forbidden by Omar ibn al-Khattab ---do explan to me >>--- Fun or pleasure marriage[FONT=&quot] زواج المتعة [/FONT]
Testimony of two women equal to the testimony of one man and the Quranic verse clear ---

We gave you the answers,but you are rejecting all of them,so you aren't debating but just repeating the same thing again and again and again.

For example,don't you pay taxes for your government ?,tell me,Do you ?
What the problem of paying taxes whether in the form of Zakat or Jiziyah.

awaiting you to answer me.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
No, my friend ----
I'm talking right ---

Most, if not all, of your information above is again wrong or highly controversial that it cannot be even half generalized, tho this time it seems because of misunderstanding and misinformation!

But most importantly, you're going off-topic again, and severely this time. I won't lie to you, I reported you only once for that, but I didn't lately even after you kept doing it, and I did it out of respect. Please, if you have other points you want to discuss, do it as per rules and without highjacking threads so things don't overlap and get confused!

mahasn ebn sawresho

to smart -guy ---
Yes, you are right, I went out on the subject ---
But do you tell me what is the difference between the sword and the gun ----
Even talk of the mind--
i think Information i am write it General Information Islamic useful
to frgod----You confuse the tribute and Zakat ---
Each special case ---
Islamic legal base ----
Consider the Koran well -
Tribute is an Islamic legal rule unfair ----
Christian pays tribute ---
Muslim not pay the tribute ----
You can not understand Arabic ----
I'm giving you a lesson free legal Islamist

gnostic

The Lost One
feargod said:
There is no law as to kill a person for not paying the tax.

How it is extortion ?, don't you pay tax for your government ?

All citizens regardless of their religion have to pay for the tax,whether in form of Zakat or Jizia

You don't understand, do you?

Why should a person pay tax FOR A RELIGION that they don't belong to?

Yours is the only religion where non-believers pay for taxes that people don't belong to. There is no choice at all.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
to smart -guy ---
Yes, you are right, I went out on the subject ---
But do you tell me what is the difference between the sword and the gun ----
Even talk of the mind--
i think Information i am write it General Information Islamic useful
to frgod----You confuse the tribute and Zakat ---
Each special case ---
Islamic legal base ----
Consider the Koran well -
Tribute is an Islamic legal rule unfair ----
Christian pays tribute ---
Muslim not pay the tribute ----
You can not understand Arabic ----
I'm giving you a lesson free legal Islamist

(ignores the lesson part)

When did we ever confuse alms with tribute? All we said is that alms is for Muslims to pay and tribute is for non Muslims living under Muslim rule to pay!

Remember also that:

Christian don't pay alms ---
Muslim pay alms ----

It is a give and take!

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
You don't understand, do you?

Why should a person pay tax FOR A RELIGION that they don't belong to?

Yours is the only religion where non-believers pay for taxes that people don't belong to. There is no choice at all.

You didn't understand what i did say ?

Both pay the taxes,muslims and non-muslims.

Muslims pay Zakat and the non-muslims pay the Jiziyah.

Where is the problem ?

Payment isn't for religion but for managing the state.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"And al-Razi says in his interpretation of the quranic verse (9:29) in which the jizya was enacted:

The intention of taking the jizya is not to approve the disbelief of non-Muslims in Islam, but rather to spare their lives and to give them some time; in hope that during it; they might stop to reflect on the virtues of Islam and its compelling arguments, and consequently converting from disbelief to belief. That's why it's important to pay the jizya with humiliation and servility, because naturally, any sensible person cannot stand humiliation and servility. So if the disbeliever is given some time watching the pride of Islam and hearing evidences of its authenticity, and see the humiliation of the disbelief, then apparently this might carry him to convert to Islam, and that's the main rationale behind the enactment of the jizya.

Many scholars believe jizya is sanctioned by the Qur'an, the primary source of Islamic law, based on the following verse:

Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.
—Qur'an, [Quran 9:29]

Other scholars claim the tax rates and amounts were fixed and strictly implemented. The rate of jizya and Kharaj tax, head tax and land tax respectively, exceeded 20% for all non-Muslims, and payable by new moon. In the western Islamic states, for dhimmis who were Christians and Jews of Egypt and Morocco, these taxes were often graded into three levels with minimum rate being 20% of all estimated assets and any sales. The highest rates ranged from 33% to 80% of all annual farm produce on land inside the Islamic empire. In the eastern Islamic states, for dhimmis who were Hindus and Jains, the tax structure were similar, with non-Muslims paying jizya and Kharaj tax rate at least twice the zakat tax rate paid by Muslims. The discriminatory and high tax rates led to mass civil protests of 1679 in India, these protests were crushed by Aurangzeb.

Along with jizya as head tax (sometimes called neck tax), non-Muslims were also required to pay Kharaj as land tax. This was levied on anyone who worked on land or owned property on land. Both jizya and kharaj were not payable by Muslims or if the non-Muslim converted to Islam. Other taxes payable, by or from the property of non-Muslim subjects, along with jizya were fai, ghanima and ushur. Fai (sometimes spelled fay) was non-Muslim property seized by a Muslim official; the non-Muslim was sometimes allowed to reclaim the seized property by paying 100% of assessed value of the seized property. Ghanima was the 20% tax paid by the Muslim army commander on the booty and plunder collected from non-Muslims by force (anwatan) after a war or after the commander launched a raid against non-Muslim trade posts, temples, or caravans. The commander and his Muslim soldiers were entitled to keep 80% of the booty. Ushur (sometimes spelled ushr) was customs tax payable when people entered or exited the borders of an Islamic state. Non-Muslims paid twice the rate than Muslims on assessed value of property in possession of the transiting person. This was in addition to the jizya."
Jizya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, Muslims pay Zakat and the non-muslims pay the Jiziyah. Where is the problem? And Islam sure is a religion of love and peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.