• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
It can be a joke even if you didn't mean it as one.

I never said that. I did not even hint at that. Their having algebra is a fact. I have no idea if they invented it or just used it. They probably did invent it but I never claimed it.

No, what you did was ask a question. I answered it with quite a few examples. Apparently that was just to inconvenient for you and so you invented an arbitrary equation which actually answered your question it's self. An equation is the how do you solve an algebraic problem. An algebra problem is solved by setting up an equation. Unless you want me to show you how to resolve tat simplistic equation you have answered your self.

Are you nuts? Algebra pre-existing Islam by several thousands is a historical fact. My not liking Islam did not put those equations into Egyptian history, Greek history, and Roman history. Despite not liking Islam I give it at least as much credit as it deserves. For some reasons the Arabic name 'algebra" was adopted for the type of math that long proceeded Islam. Islam made some advances in Algebra. However my degree is in math. I have had at least 30 classes in math and not a single Muslim is ever mentioned for any level of those classes. Islam could have never existed and math today would not be all that much different.

I have no idea what you arguing, why your asking ridiculous questions, answering them your self, then asking them again. An equation is how you solve a problem. What would my solving the equation prove? What are you talking about.

Anyone who claims victory in a battle that never occurred is proving their desperation.

What a silly reply.

Show me how the Egyptians do their equations since you believe that they used Algebra.

Here it once again

235 x (A +120) = 56400

It is very simple Algebra, tell us how the Egyptians invented Algebra and why the whole world call it in Arabic name.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
No it isn't a joke, but it is serious.

You believe that the Egyptians invented Algebra and i gave you a very simple equation and asked you how the Egyptians used Algebra to solve the equation and what kind of numbers they used, so you only believe anything against Islam not because you're stupid but because you only hate Islam and you accept anything that goes against it, history sucks.

You failed 1robin.

FearGod, I've noticed a pattern in these debates, and perhaps you can step back and help us figure this out. In the West, when people are debating, if one debater declares victory everyone listening knows that "declaring victory" is a sign of a weak argument. I suspect that maybe this debating style is different in Islamic teachings? Can you talk about this?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
What a silly reply.

Show me how the Egyptians do their equations since you believe that they used Algebra.

Here it once again

235 x (A +120) = 56400

It is very simple Algebra, tell us how the Egyptians invented Algebra and why the whole world call it in Arabic name.
That is ridiculous and your running from facts. I will solve the thing but it will not have a single thing to do with anything, nor is anything you said relevant to anything that I did. This is denial in the form of misdirection. When I give you the proof you asked for you simply ignore it and ask other and irrelevant garbage.

235 x (A +120) = 56400

A + 120 = 56400/235
A + 120 = 240
A = 240 - 120
A = 120

Now what the Holy heck did my doing that prove except your wasting a lot of time instead of admitting I gave you the exact evidence you asked for?

The definition of Algebra is al·ge·bra:

/ˈaljəbrə/

noun

noun: algebra

the part of mathematics in which letters and other general symbols are used to represent numbers and quantities in formulae and equations.

Case closed.

I have no idea why the Arabic word was used for a type of mathematics that preexisted it by thousands of years, not that an Arabic word is an Islamic word to begin with. THAT WAS NOT THE TOPIC BEING DISCUSSED.

Harikrish

The Arabs are trying to rewrite history. But what they cannot change is what their system of religion and government has created.

Muslims are the least educated people in the world and a majority of Muslims live in poverty. They are also the most exploited people by their own political and religious leaders.

It us only a matter of time before they are declared a failed people along with their religion which the majority are unable to learn of because they cannot even read their scriptures

Harikrish

The Arabs are trying to rewrite history. But what they cannot change is what their system of religion and government has created.

Muslims are the least educated people in the world and a majority of Muslims live in poverty. They are also the most exploited people by their own political and religious leaders.

It is only a matter of time before they are declared a failed people along with their religion which the majority are unable to learn of because they cannot even read their scriptures in the Quran.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
That is ridiculous and your running from facts. I will solve the thing but it will not have a single thing to do with anything, nor is anything you said relevant to anything that I did. This is denial in the form of misdirection. When I give you the proof you asked for you simply ignore it and ask other and irrelevant garbage.

235 x (A +120) = 56400

A + 120 = 56400/235
A + 120 = 240
A = 240 - 120
A = 120

Now what the Holy heck did my doing that prove except your wasting a lot of time instead of admitting I gave you the exact evidence you asked for?

The definition of Algebra is al·ge·bra:

/ˈaljəbrə/

noun

noun: algebra

the part of mathematics in which letters and other general symbols are used to represent numbers and quantities in formulae and equations.

Case closed.

I have no idea why the Arabic word was used for a type of mathematics that preexisted it by thousands of years, not that an Arabic word is an Islamic word to begin with. THAT WAS NOT THE TOPIC BEING DISCUSSED.

Did i ask you to solve the equation ? :facepalm:

I asked you how the Egyptians solve such equation and what kind of numerals they used since you claim that they knew Algebra before Arabs.

You failed 1robin and history sucks.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
FearGod, I've noticed a pattern in these debates, and perhaps you can step back and help us figure this out. In the West, when people are debating, if one debater declares victory everyone listening knows that "declaring victory" is a sign of a weak argument. I suspect that maybe this debating style is different in Islamic teachings? Can you talk about this?

Did i declare victory ?

I said 1robin failed to prove that the Egyptians invented Algebra, you may try to help him out.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

It is only a matter of time before they are declared a failed people along with their religion which the majority are unable to learn of because they cannot even read their scriptures in the Quran.

Better to educate yourself first.

1robin

Christian/Baptist

I asked you how the Egyptians solve such equation and what kind of numerals they used since you claim that they knew Algebra before Arabs.

This the most pathetic argument I had even seen in months.

I will leave to circle the drain of futility alone.

morphesium

I didn't understand your example of cigarette as a test and the free will and how is that related to God's test and our free will.
I am re-editing what I have written before.

Isn't Religion interpreting freewill ?
For example (just an example, not a real case scenario):- If Ones consciousness ( The sense of what is right which I believe is the God sent message to oneself and neglecting it is the cause of all problems.) says "smoking is not good, you have to stop it, it is not right".

. Because of this, some people will quit smoking, some will not.
So God can test which one smokes and which one abstains from smoking.
But what if religion interprets this and says" Nobody should smoke, cut down all tobacco plants" . So people won’t be exposed even to a single cigarette and there would be people that haven’t even seen a cigarette. So nobody smokes a cigarette. So how can God know if these people will smoke or not if they are given a chance? How can God test one then?

Every people on earth have a different thinking, are in different situations, in different circumstances. So are ones Consciousness, it can also be different. God will test him in a different way.

I choose what make sense to me, give me one religion that you think is the right one and not Islam and I’ll see if it makes sense to me or not, try to give me one that you think makes more sense than Islam.

A Christian will say - I choose what make sense to me, give me one religion that you think is the right one and not Christian and I’ll see if it makes sense to me or not, try to give me one that you think makes more sense than Christianity.

A Hindu will say - I choose what make sense to me, give me one religion that you think is the right one and not Hinduism and I’ll see if it makes sense to me or not, try to give me one that you think makes more sense than Hinduism.

A Muslim will say - I choose what make sense to me, give me one religion that you think is the right one and not Islam and I’ll see if it makes sense to me or not, try to give me one that you think makes more sense than Islam.
so and so.

This is because religious practices has more to do with habit and psychology than with reason . It will never let people think freely. Hence one is trapped into it.

Thank you.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
This the most pathetic argument I had even seen in months.

I will leave to circle the drain of futility alone.

:biglaugh:

The same feeling here.

You should give a proof that Egyptians did it and what kind of numerals they used to calculate and solve the equation.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

From what I've seen, there is no information regarding the method Egyptians used in their math.

However both Egyptians and Babylonians were able to solve algebra like equations.

Doesn't mean they used algebraic methods though.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
This shows they were aware of algebraic like equations. They wouldn't have call it algebra of course and probably used different methods to solve those equations.

Rhind Mathematical Papyrus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are precious few ways to solve algebraic equations. In fact only one inn most cases. You can do the one solution in another order but it is exactly the same solution method. The solution I gave to an irrelevant and arbitrary can only be solved in one way. That one way can be done in an alternate order but only one way. My degree is in math btw.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
From what I've seen, there is no information regarding the method Egyptians used in their math.

However both Egyptians and Babylonians were able to solve algebra like equations.

Doesn't mean they used algebraic methods though.
Algebra means to solve equations with variables so they did algebra long before the name for that description existed. There is also only one way to solve most algebra equations.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I am re-editing what I have written before.

Isn't Religion interpreting freewill ?
For example (just an example, not a real case scenario):- If Ones consciousness ( The sense of what is right which I believe is the God sent message to oneself and neglecting it is the cause of all problems.) says "smoking is not good, you have to stop it, it is not right".

. Because of this, some people will quit smoking, some will not.
So God can test which one smokes and which one abstains from smoking.
But what if religion interprets this and says" Nobody should smoke, cut down all tobacco plants" . So people won’t be exposed even to a single cigarette and there would be people that haven’t even seen a cigarette. So nobody smokes a cigarette. So how can God know if these people will smoke or not if they are given a chance? How can God test one then?

Every people on earth have a different thinking, are in different situations, in different circumstances. So are ones Consciousness, it can also be different. God will test him in a different way.

God test us according to our deeds.

-

A Christian will say- I choose what make sense to me, give me one religion that you think is the right one and not Christian and I’ll see if it makes sense to me or not, try to give me one that you think makes more sense than Christianity.

A Hindu will say - I choose what make sense to me, give me one religion that you think is the right one and not Hinduism and I’ll see if it makes sense to me or not, try to give me one that you think makes more sense than Hinduism.

A Muslim will say - I choose what make sense to me, give me one religion that you think is the right one and not Islam and I’ll see if it makes sense to me or not, try to give me one that you think makes more sense than Islam.
so and so.

This is because religious practices has more to do with habit and psychology than with reason . It will never let people think freely. Hence one is trapped into it.

Thank you.

Prophet is a word derived from prophecy.

Now when i see that events on earth are occurring according to his prophecy then i had to know that it is serious and not a banter

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
This shows they were aware of algebraic like equations. They wouldn't have call it algebra of course and probably used different methods to solve those equations.

Rhind Mathematical Papyrus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How their numerals looked like and how they made the calculations without 0, that is impossible.

Why Algebra improved only during the Golden age of Islam, why it have to stay primitive for thousands of years till the Muslims scientists made the modern Algebra,why the Egyptians didn't it, why the Europeans didn't it than taking it from the Muslims.

morphesium

Prophet is a word derived from prophecy.

Now when i see that events on earth are occurring according to his prophecy then i had to know that it is serious and not a banter

Did he predicted about electricity, MRI scanners, Internet, Satellites.

For all of these (except for electricity), theories (and hence prediction) ran before their actual invention. Therefore, science predicted much more than any prophets. its even possible that it had saved your life or someones life who is dear to you.

Thank you.

morphesium

How their numerals looked like and how they made the calculations without 0, that is impossible.

Mathematics is a huge subject. Even though, the Egyptians didn't know about zero, they managed to build great pyramids, calculated the strength of stones, how much weight it will support, predicted eclipses and so on - all without the help of zero. Just like they didn't know about calculus.

Why Algebra improved only during the Golden age of Islam, why it have to stay primitive for thousands of years till the Muslims scientists made the modern Algebra,why the Egyptians didn't it, why the Europeans didn't it than taking it from the Muslims.

The Golden age of Islam is when mathematics, poetry, philosophy, science, arts etc all flourished and it was at the time when the "hold or power of the religion" was at its weakest. when the hold of religious people is greater, they will burn all libraries since there will be texts that wont agree with their religion in it.

At the present, it is the Islamic religion that is gaining a upper hand. In the present situation, how much do you think the people from Islamic countries contribute to science, mathematics, art philosophy? It will be very negligible compared to others.

The dark ages of Europeans was at the time when Christianity was taking its toll. that's what kept them primitive. look at them now. where do you think their mathematics and science stand now.
Remember, YOU TOO CAN BE THERE provided people put down religion.
Thankyou.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Algebra means to solve equations with variables so they did algebra long before the name for that description existed. There is also only one way to solve most algebra equations.

There's the False Position Method.

False position method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We get taught laws, rules and symbols. The methods we use are pretty old, first seen in India.

However you could stacks rocks as a method. Use piles of sticks etc...

I'd consider the rules and laws as part of the algebra we know. I can solve such problems a lot quicker because of the methods we are taught in school.

Methods are part of the development of math.

Of course you maybe right about the Egyptians. In algebra there is one "right" way to solve the problem. However in math how you go about solving a problem may be only limited by your imagination and creativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.