• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I agree with you that the discussion should focus on the title of the thread:

No, it is wrong.

Regards

Was Islam only spread by the sword? No

Was Islam supposed to be spread by the sword? Debatable

Was Islam spread by the sword? Yes, degree/amount is debatable.

Only strong denial and "at all costs" apologetics could obscure such things.

Take the red pill paarsurrey!

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Pakistan: [2]

Islam is the largest and the state religion of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, which has a population of about 190,291,129.[1] The majority (95–97%) of the Pakistani people are Muslim while the remaining 3–5% are Christian,Hindu, and others.[2][3] Sunnis are the majority while the Shias make up between 5-20%[2][3][4][5][6] of the total Muslim population of the country, whereas the Ahmadi Muslims make up approximately 2.2% of the total Muslim population of the country.[7]

Arrival of Islam in modern Pakistan

Many Sufi missionaries from Middle East and Central Asia migrated and settled in South Asia. Many natives converted to Islam due to the missionary Sufi saints whose dargahs dot the landscape of South Asia. Sufism in Pakistan is plays important role in the country.

Arrival of Islam and Umayyad invasion of Sindh[edit]
Main article: Muslim conquest in the Indian subcontinent

In 711 CE, when the Umayyad dynasty sent a Muslim Arab army led by Muhammad bin Qasim against the ruler of Sindh, Raja Dahir. Muhammad Bin Qasim's army was defeated in his first three attempts. The Muslim army conquered the northwestern part of Indus Valley from Kashmir to the Arabian Sea.
Arrival of Islam in Punjab[edit]
Main article: History of Punjab § The Shahi Kingdoms and the Muslim invasions

Following the birth of Islam in Arabia in the early 7th century, the Muslim Arabs rose to power and replaced the Zoroastrian Persian Empire as the major power west of India in the mid 7th century. In 711–713 AD, Arab armies from the Umayyad caliphate of Damascus conquered Sind and advanced into the present-day southern Punjab, occupying Multan, which was later to become a center of the Ismaili sect of Islam.

Arrival of Islam in Kyber Pukhtunkhwa[edit]
Main articles: History of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa § Arrival of Islam and History of Peshawar § Arrival of Islam

Hinduism, Buddhism, and Shamanism were the prominent religions in the region until Muslim Arabs and Turks conquered the area during 7th century AD. Over the centuries migration took place by the population consisting majorly of Hindus and Buddhists.[9] While local Pashtuns brought in Islam, introducing some of the local traditions (albeit altered by Islam) such as Pashtunwali or the Pashtun code of honor.

Islam and the Pakistan Movement[edit]

But just three days before the creation of Pakistan, Mohammad Ali Jinnah made a different commitment, a commitment to secularism in Pakistan. In his inaugural address he said, "You will find that in the course of time Hindus would cease to be Hindus and Muslims would cease to be Muslims, not in the religious sense, because that is the personal faith of each individual, but in the political sense as citizens of the State." This statement of Jinnah is an object of great controversy since then and this vision of a Pakistan in which Islamic law would not be applied, contrary to Iqbal's perception, was questioned shortly after independence.

Islam in Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Pakistan.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Pakistan: [2]

Islam is the largest and the state religion of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, which has a population of about 190,291,129.[1] The majority (95–97%) of the Pakistani people are Muslim while the remaining 3–5% are Christian,Hindu, and others.[2][3] Sunnis are the majority while the Shias make up between 5-20%[2][3][4][5][6] of the total Muslim population of the country, whereas the Ahmadi Muslims make up approximately 2.2% of the total Muslim population of the country.[7]

Arrival of Islam in modern Pakistan

Many Sufi missionaries from Middle East and Central Asia migrated and settled in South Asia. Many natives converted to Islam due to the missionary Sufi saints whose dargahs dot the landscape of South Asia. Sufism in Pakistan is plays important role in the country.

Arrival of Islam and Umayyad invasion of Sindh[edit]
Main article: Muslim conquest in the Indian subcontinent

In 711 CE, when the Umayyad dynasty sent a Muslim Arab army led by Muhammad bin Qasim against the ruler of Sindh, Raja Dahir. Muhammad Bin Qasim's army was defeated in his first three attempts. The Muslim army conquered the northwestern part of Indus Valley from Kashmir to the Arabian Sea.
Arrival of Islam in Punjab[edit]
Main article: History of Punjab § The Shahi Kingdoms and the Muslim invasions

Following the birth of Islam in Arabia in the early 7th century, the Muslim Arabs rose to power and replaced the Zoroastrian Persian Empire as the major power west of India in the mid 7th century. In 711–713 AD, Arab armies from the Umayyad caliphate of Damascus conquered Sind and advanced into the present-day southern Punjab, occupying Multan, which was later to become a center of the Ismaili sect of Islam.

Arrival of Islam in Kyber Pukhtunkhwa[edit]
Main articles: History of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa § Arrival of Islam and History of Peshawar § Arrival of Islam

Hinduism, Buddhism, and Shamanism were the prominent religions in the region until Muslim Arabs and Turks conquered the area during 7th century AD. Over the centuries migration took place by the population consisting majorly of Hindus and Buddhists.[9] While local Pashtuns brought in Islam, introducing some of the local traditions (albeit altered by Islam) such as Pashtunwali or the Pashtun code of honor.

Islam and the Pakistan Movement[edit]

But just three days before the creation of Pakistan, Mohammad Ali Jinnah made a different commitment, a commitment to secularism in Pakistan. In his inaugural address he said, "You will find that in the course of time Hindus would cease to be Hindus and Muslims would cease to be Muslims, not in the religious sense, because that is the personal faith of each individual, but in the political sense as citizens of the State." This statement of Jinnah is an object of great controversy since then and this vision of a Pakistan in which Islamic law would not be applied, contrary to Iqbal's perception, was questioned shortly after independence.

Islam in Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Pakistan.

Regards

You have severe issues with reading comprehension.

morphesium

I don't have a stake in this side discussion about the origins of algebra... how does this relate to the OP?

Often side discussions prove more worthwhile than the OP. This happens everywhere, in classrooms, in research activities though me too felt like much of these article needed a new thread.

As far as these posts are concerned, I have learned something new from Gnostic, 1Robin and Feargod. Thanking you all.

and the real heroes were the Indians, Greece, Chinese, Egyptians ..etc but not the Muslims.

It is not just Algebra that Muslims contributed to. Alchemy, Algorithms, and I believe, at one point in time, Muslims produced the best perfumes and I hope for the return of the Golden age of Muslims - where poetry, arts, science etc all flourished. Unfortunately it can only come through freewill (even you mentioned that god created human beings with free will - just use it) and for that one should put down religion. Free will innovates and polishes arts and science but kills religion. -- Feargod, the real heroes were all human beings who kept their free will, who kept Rational thinking because of that.

as far as concerning the OP

What do you think people are thought and trained in your madrassas. Promote hatred and violence, suppress free will, and suppress reasoning power so that youngsters can be turned into suicidal bombs and future terrorists. - Intensive training to throw humanity to Dark Age.

What reason do you think there is for the occurrence of extreme huge number of terrorists among Muslims? Well, you don't need to answer this, for it needs freewill and reasoning power.

There would have been a huge number of posts pointing out the violent nature of Islam even when it is not spreading and the exponential rate of violence that occurs when it is spreads. but you never seems to understand.

Sorry, you can never be corrected for no one can wake up someone who is pretending to be sleeping.

Thanking icehorse for trying to keep the decorum of this forum.

Last edited:

Scimitar

Eschatologist
What do you think people are thought and trained in your madrassas.

WOW :facepalm: really?

I was "trained" in a madrassa... I was trained in Arabic, and Islamic history as well as regular studies like English Math Science etc... what the heck are you talking about? I've been to over 300 madrassas so far, none of which reflect what you believe - your world view of Islam and Muslims, is just quite simply - stupid to me.

Scimi

mahasn ebn sawresho

Hey FearGod,

I don't have a stake in this side discussion about the origins of algebra... how does this relate to the OP?
The figures used by Arabs is not Arab
It's numbers from other civilizations
And zero is not an invention of Arabs
And month names used by Arabs is not Arab
And the algorithm is not Arabic
The word algorithm is the name of the County
But from the names in the Assyrian and Chaldean language for relatives by marriage
The Assyrian Empire ruled the Middle East
The nomenclature is that language also
These general information
Pythagoras the scientific theories
And the Pharaohs who built the pyramids in the amazing measurements
Are not Arabs and are not Muslims
Arab and Muslim culture desert and Bedouin
Today they fed on civilizations
The RBC
My friend
The Qur'an says that the iron strong force
This speech of the Koran was written in 600 BC are not known human strength iron and wait for the Admin to teach him the iron force
Muslim myths do not expire

mahasn ebn sawresho

WOW :facepalm: really?

I was "trained" in a madrassa... I was trained in Arabic, and Islamic history as well as regular studies like English Math Science etc... what the heck are you talking about? I've been to over 300 madrassas so far, none of which reflect what you believe - your world view of Islam and Muslims, is just quite simply - stupid to me.

Scimi
The school is teaching people how to cut header
And also how to hit your wife
How to marry Muhammad
This is your school

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
The figures used by Arabs is not Arab
It's numbers from other civilizations
And zero is not an invention of Arabs
And month names used by Arabs is not Arab
And the algorithm is not Arabic
The word algorithm is the name of the County
But from the names in the Assyrian and Chaldean language for relatives by marriage
The Assyrian Empire ruled the Middle East
The nomenclature is that language also
These general information
Pythagoras the scientific theories
And the Pharaohs who built the pyramids in the amazing measurements
Are not Arabs and are not Muslims
Arab and Muslim culture desert and Bedouin
Today they fed on civilizations
The RBC
My friend
The Qur'an says that the iron strong force
This speech of the Koran was written in 600 BC are not known human strength iron and wait for the Admin to teach him the iron force
Muslim myths do not expire

Egyptians are Indians and they speak Hindi. :sarcastic

[youtube]4LZBditC8NU[/youtube]
Egyptian Indian song only for Romantic lovers (y) - YouTube

Egyptian Indian song only for Romantic lovers (y) - YouTube

Last edited:

mahasn ebn sawresho

The figures used by the Arabs are not Arabic numerals
Find the thereby
Ancient language
Is the language of ancient Egypt
And spoken by the Copts in Egypt
And the Arabs are not followers of the Pharaohs
They went to Egypt colonizers
Allghan the sections and section alhndwarih and Aryan
The General information you should know

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Malaysia: [1]

Malaysia is a multiconfessional country with Islam being the largest practiced religion, comprising approximately 61.3% Muslim adherents, or around 19.5 million people, as of 2013.[1] Sunni Islam of Shafi'i school of jurisprudence is the dominant branch ofIslam in the country.[2]

Article 3 of the Constitution of Malaysia establishes Islam as the "religion of the Federation".[3][4] However, Malaysia's law and jurisprudence is based on the English common law. Sharia law is applicable only to Muslims, and is restricted to family law and religious observances. Therefore, there has been much debate on whether Malaysia is a secular state or an Islamic state
Background

Originally, the draft Constitution of Malaysia did not specify any official religion for the state. This move was supported by the rulers of the nine Malay states, who felt that it was sufficient that Islam was the official religion of each of their individual states. However, Justice Hakim Abdul Hamid of the Reid Commission which drafted the Constitution came out strongly in favour of making Islam the official religion, and as a result the final Constitution named Islam as the official religion of Malaysia.[5]

All ethnic Malays are Muslim (100%) as defined by Article 160 of the Constitution of Malaysia.[6][7] As required by Malaysian law and defined in the Constitution of Malaysia, a Malay would surrender his ethnic status if he were not Muslim.

Religion of the Federation

Nine of the Malaysian states, namely Kelantan, Terengganu, Pahang, Kedah, Perak, Perlis, Selangor, Johor and Negeri Sembilan have constitutional Malay monarchs (most of them styled as Sultans). These Malay rulers still maintain authority over religious affairs in states. The states of Penang, Malacca, Sarawak and Sabah do not have any sultan, but the king (Yang di-Pertuan Agong) plays the role of head of Islam in each of those states as well as in each of the Federal Territoriesof Kuala Lumpur, Labuan and Putrajaya.

On the occasion of Tunku Abdul Rahman (Malaysia's first prime minister)'s 80th birthday, he stated in the 9 February 1983 edition of the newspaper The Star that the "country has a multi-racial population with various beliefs. Malaysia must continue as a secular State with Islam as the official religion." In the same issue of The Star, Abdul Rahman was supported by the third Malaysian Prime Minister, Hussein Onn, who stated that the "nation can still be functional as a secular state with Islam as the official religion."[8]

Currently, one of Malaysia's states, Kelantan, is governed by PAS which is a conservative Islamic political party, with a proclaimed goal of establishing an Islamic state. Terengganu was briefly ruled by PAS from 1999 to 2004, but the rulingBarisan Nasional coalition has since won back the state.

To counter the falling credibility of UMNO's Islamic credentials vis-à-vis PAS, the head of the Barisan Nasional, Datuk Seri Abdullah Badawi, proposed Islam Hadhari. In the 1990s, the PAS-led state governments passed Islamic hudud laws in Terengganu, but was struck down by the secular federal government.
The newest format of the Malaysian Identity Card (MyKad) divides Malaysians into various religious groups, i.e. Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist.

The introduction of this card caused an uproar in Malaysian politics and is deemed discriminative by non-Muslims. This issue has, however, since abated and been accepted (although unwillingly) by non-Muslims. There is also an Islamic university in Malaysia called the International Islamic University Malaysia, and a government institution in charge of organizing pilgrimages to Mecca called Tabung Haji (Pilgrim Fund Board of Malaysia). In addition to this, the government also funds the construction of mosques and suraus.[9]

Islam in Malaysia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Malaysia.

Regards

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Just to show how haters support whatever stories that attack Islam and reject any stories that support it even the golden age of Islam to them is nonsense and the real heroes were the Indians, Greece, Chinese, Egyptians ..etc but not the Muslims.
Give me a flipping break. I have admitted to Islam's contributions over and over again. However since all you do is sing about their run of the mill achievements I need not have.

Harikrish

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Malaysia: [1]

Malaysia is a multiconfessional country with Islam being the largest practiced religion, comprising approximately 61.3% Muslim adherents, or around 19.5 million people, as of 2013.[1] Sunni Islam of Shafi'i school of jurisprudence is the dominant branch ofIslam in the country.[2]

Article 3 of the Constitution of Malaysia establishes Islam as the "religion of the Federation".[3][4] However, Malaysia's law and jurisprudence is based on the English common law. Sharia law is applicable only to Muslims, and is restricted to family law and religious observances. Therefore, there has been much debate on whether Malaysia is a secular state or an Islamic state
Background

Originally, the draft Constitution of Malaysia did not specify any official religion for the state. This move was supported by the rulers of the nine Malay states, who felt that it was sufficient that Islam was the official religion of each of their individual states. However, Justice Hakim Abdul Hamid of the Reid Commission which drafted the Constitution came out strongly in favour of making Islam the official religion, and as a result the final Constitution named Islam as the official religion of Malaysia.[5]

All ethnic Malays are Muslim (100%) as defined by Article 160 of the Constitution of Malaysia.[6][7] As required by Malaysian law and defined in the Constitution of Malaysia, a Malay would surrender his ethnic status if he were not Muslim.

Religion of the Federation

Nine of the Malaysian states, namely Kelantan, Terengganu, Pahang, Kedah, Perak, Perlis, Selangor, Johor and Negeri Sembilan have constitutional Malay monarchs (most of them styled as Sultans). These Malay rulers still maintain authority over religious affairs in states. The states of Penang, Malacca, Sarawak and Sabah do not have any sultan, but the king (Yang di-Pertuan Agong) plays the role of head of Islam in each of those states as well as in each of the Federal Territoriesof Kuala Lumpur, Labuan and Putrajaya.

On the occasion of Tunku Abdul Rahman (Malaysia's first prime minister)'s 80th birthday, he stated in the 9 February 1983 edition of the newspaper The Star that the "country has a multi-racial population with various beliefs. Malaysia must continue as a secular State with Islam as the official religion." In the same issue of The Star, Abdul Rahman was supported by the third Malaysian Prime Minister, Hussein Onn, who stated that the "nation can still be functional as a secular state with Islam as the official religion."[8]

Currently, one of Malaysia's states, Kelantan, is governed by PAS which is a conservative Islamic political party, with a proclaimed goal of establishing an Islamic state. Terengganu was briefly ruled by PAS from 1999 to 2004, but the rulingBarisan Nasional coalition has since won back the state.

To counter the falling credibility of UMNO's Islamic credentials vis-à-vis PAS, the head of the Barisan Nasional, Datuk Seri Abdullah Badawi, proposed Islam Hadhari. In the 1990s, the PAS-led state governments passed Islamic hudud laws in Terengganu, but was struck down by the secular federal government.
The newest format of the Malaysian Identity Card (MyKad) divides Malaysians into various religious groups, i.e. Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist.

The introduction of this card caused an uproar in Malaysian politics and is deemed discriminative by non-Muslims. This issue has, however, since abated and been accepted (although unwillingly) by non-Muslims. There is also an Islamic university in Malaysia called the International Islamic University Malaysia, and a government institution in charge of organizing pilgrimages to Mecca called Tabung Haji (Pilgrim Fund Board of Malaysia). In addition to this, the government also funds the construction of mosques and suraus.[9]

Islam in Malaysia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Malaysia.

Regards

You are wrong. The Malaysian government has been systematically suppressing the religious rights of minorities while promoting Islam.

Malaysian Churches Attacked In 'Allah' Row
Malaysian Churches Attacked In 'Allah' Row

1robin

Christian/Baptist
feargod:
I think you are the 1robin's missing points.

There is no doubt, that Muslim mathematicians were the first to invent symbolic algebra, using the algebraic or symbolic notations to formulate equations. And there is no doubt that the coined the word "algebra", BUT there were other ways - older ways to solving equations that didn't required symbolic notations, and algebra is older than when the word was first coined.

1robin was correct in saying that algebra is older than first Muslim mathematician to come up with symbolic algebra.

You are stuck on up with the word itself invented, and when symbolic algebra was invented and used, but algebra was far more ancient than symbolic algebra, because there were other to express algebraic equations.

Muslims didn't create algebra itself, but they did innovate on how algebra was used in mathematics.

Before the Persian mathematician Muḥammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī had published his book in 820 (The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing), in which his title provided how the word algebra was coined "al-jabr", it is known that he had relied on earlier Greek and Indian sources, before coming up innovative way of solving algebraic problems. And one of the Greek sources was most likely Diophantus of Alexandria, a 3rd century mathematician, who wrote Arithmetica.

Diophantus provided his own innovating way of solving algebraic equations or algebraic problems, known as syncopated algebra.

But even Diophantus didn't invent algebra. Before Diophantus, the Greeks had used geometry to solve their algebraic equations, known as geometric constructive algebra.

I think the earliest algebra, had come from the Babylonian mathematics, somewhere between 1900 and 1600 BCE, the approximate date for the Plimpton 322 tablet. Algebra may not have been expressed like symbolic algebra that we commonly used today, but the tablet does give us the indication that the quadratic equations was known to the Babylonians.

And it is clear that the Egyptian have known a version of algebra as it can be seen by the Rhind Papyrus, written by Ahmes around 1650 BCE. The papyrus showed the earliest form to the linear equation.

Algebra had far more ancient history than Muslim invention of symbolic algebra, but Mūsā al-Khwārizmī's innovation is an important stage of mathematical history. Algebra did have long history even the earlier stages of its history wasn't called "algebra" at those times.

The Babylonians, Egyptians and Greeks have all contributed to algebra, even though it may not have expressed their equations in the same manner in which have done so by Muslim Arabs or Persians, or how we used it today. The Persian and Arab mathematicians may have surpassed their earlier counterparts, but by the Renaissance, the Muslim mathematicians were surpassed by European mathematicians.

Do you understand what I am saying?
I agree with most of what you said. Let me summarize.

Algebra is a type of math that used variables. The word "algebra" is simply a label for that type of math.

1. The Egyptians used equations with variable in them long before Islam did.
2. The Greeks used equations with variable long before Islam did.
3. The Romans used equations with variables in them long before Islam did.
4. Many cultures used equations with variables long before Islam existed.
5. Islam cam along and for some reasons the word Algebra they invented for equations with variables in them was adopted. plus they advanced algebra a bit.
6. These pre-Islamic societies has a symbol for the concept of an order of magnitude but not the concept of zero as a negation or null designation.

Islam did nothing more extraordinary in mathematics than their predecessors had done. Most significant cultures add to the science previous culture bequeathed to them. Only Islam uses that as proof their special.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
How their numerals looked like and how they made the calculations without 0, that is impossible.

Why Algebra improved only during the Golden age of Islam, why it have to stay primitive for thousands of years till the Muslims scientists made the modern Algebra,why the Egyptians didn't it, why the Europeans didn't it than taking it from the Muslims.
Your mathematic history is deplorable. Every major culture form Egypt to Rome, and Christianity in particular advanced math and science quite a bit in their day. Muslims in no way shape or form invented algebra. Cultures were using equations with variables (which is what algebra means) thousands of years before Islam ever existed. I gave you entire lists of Egyptian equations which use variables. You must have put on blinders, ear plugs, and buried you head in the sands on Islamic denial. I PROVED wrong but as usual you will not admit a fact is a fact if the fact does not conform to the lie you have been taught.

jonathan180iq

I lived in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia for 4 years. I'm quite familiar with the mindset of people who have to fight tooth and nail to justify their own faith - all of the arguments that are being presented here are part of the standard.

They're just about out of references, when they get to the invention of Math.

I'm telling you Muslim guys, once you let go of fundamentalism you'll really be able to do something special. The longer you hold on, the further down the rabbit hole you'll go.

Status
Not open for further replies.