• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Was Islam spread by the sword?

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Islam in Guinea:

2005 official statistics for Islam in Guinea estimate that 85% of Guinea's 7.8 million people are Muslim. Most are Sunnis who follow the Maliki legal tradition and Qadiri andTijani Sufi orders.

There are also many Ahmadi Muslims in the country.[1] Although theFrench established a colony in 1891, their control of the region was weak. After independence in 1958, the nominally Muslim Marxist president Sékou Tourédiscouraged Islamization; only after his popularity waned in the 1970s did Touré seek to co-opt Muslim institutions to legitimize his rule.

Since Touré's death in 1984, cooperation between the Muslim community and the government has continued.[2]

Islam in Guinea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Guinea

Regards

mahmoud mrt

Hi everyone. Some people say that Islam was spread by the sword. Others say that it was not. The Koran says that there is to be no compulsion in religion so it would seem that Islam's sacred text would condone religious freedom. But was this really the case historically? Here is the reference from the Koran which I am referring to.

There is one sentence that Explains why there was wars between Muslims and non-Muslims in the prophet’s life and afterward. The sentence was said many time from the prophet to the pagans, in Arabic:

(Khallo Baynee wa Byne Alnass)

It Means, Please let me talk to the people, let me preach Islam’s message.

The Pagans, then afterward the Roman Bysaynitin Empire, and the Persian empire, they all were prohibiting any Muslim to preach Islam, and Probably Death penalty for them and any newly Muslim. In Addition to attacking the Muslims State

So The Sword was necessary, it was to lift the tyrants iron fist over the population so as then the people to be free to join Islam or not.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/islam-dir/166260-war-islam-holy-qur.html

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/islam-dir/166373-apostasy-islam.html

Regards
Mahmoud

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
paarsurrey said:
Zoroastrianism: Arab conquest of Iran/Persia

"Mass conversions were neither desired nor allowed"

And yet Zoroastrian Persians were always treated as second-citizens in their own country, and oppressed and persecuted.

It is the same with the Coptic Christians. They lived in Egyptians for generations, in the last 2000 years, and they have been continually be treated as 2nd-citizens in their own home, persecuted and oppressed, even today.

Not forced or persecuted for not being Muslims? Yeah, right. :sarcastic

Did Muhammad not spared those few who converted to Islam, when the Banu Qurayza surrendered? Did he not allowed for beheading of men, who didn't convert? As little as 400 men or as many as 900, had lost their heads, wasn't it?

Sees

Dragonslayer
... Haha, how ironic.

Ain't it :D

----

Islam likely wouldn't be here without mass conversions. Muhammad gathered massive numbers quickly after some lingering years with little success. The most important part of Islamic history has to be thrown out to ignore/disown mass conversions.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Cherry picking one quote after all that I wrote is intellectually dishonest.

Anyways as I have said, the Arabs didn't destroy Zoroastrianism. The Persian dynasties did after, but they were still Muslim.

The truthful religion of Zoroaster- the Prophet had already died; only the legacy remained; and slowly people got converted to Islam; and this process took some centuries.

I think I mentioned in another thread the reason as to why Zoroastrianism became almost extinct.

There is no life in Zoroastrianism to spread; had there been any; it would have spread even afterwards.

Many an invaders attacked the Muslim dynasties; ultimately the invaders themselves got converted to Islam.

Example:

Mongols and Tatars

Regards

MD

qualiaphile
The truthful religion of Zoroaster- the Prophet had already died; only the legacy remained; and slowly people got converted to Islam; and this process took some centuries.

I think I mentioned in another thread the reason as to why Zoroastrianism became almost extinct.

There is no life in Zoroastrianism to spread; had there been any; it would have spread even afterwards.

Many an invaders attacked the Muslim dynasties; ultimately the invaders themselves got converted to Islam.

Example:

Mongols and Tatars

Regards

Every attempt at a Zoroastrian resurgence was brutally suppressed by Islamic dynasties. Even today in Iran there were many brutal suppressions.

Yet in Iran they celebrate Nouroz, which is a Zoroastrian holiday. In Kurdistan their flag is a sun with 21 nasks, which is representative of the 21 Gathas of Zoroastrianism. Even Ahmedinejad acknowledged Cyrus and the Zoroastrian faith. Imagine that? Young Iranians wear the fravahar, which is a Zoroastrian symbol. The Shah of Iran tried to bring back Zoroastrianism, but the leftists and Islamists had a revolution. Btw the Islamists killed off all the leftists.

Zoroastrianism is a part of Iran. It will never die fully. It may die as a religion, but it's identity will always exist in Iran because Islam is not compatible with Iranian intellect. Zoroastrianism is an Iranian religion in the end.

If Islam is so great, why are Muslims killing each other by the thousands? Political reasons? You make me laugh.

For those interested: How Iran persecutes its oldest religion - CNN.com

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Ain't it :D

----

Islam likely wouldn't be here without mass conversions. Muhammad gathered massive numbers quickly after some lingering years with little success. The most important part of Islamic history has to be thrown out to ignore/disown mass conversions.

Dude, what's really funny is the first part of his post: "Was Islam spread by the sword?"; followed by a Wiki link that literally states, "Muslim conquest of Persia" ...

... keep in mind the term, "conquest" ... haha.

The first, and most popularly recognized, definition of the term, conquest:

the act of taking control of a country, city, etc., through the use of force

A most ironic post, indeed, because it was hopelessly in contrast to his premise. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.