• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Islam spread by the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
The Hadith are checked on several points, say:

• The narrators have a faultless string reaching to the time of prophet Muhammad.
• The character of the narrators.
• The memory of the narrators.
• etc, etc

The final and most important checkpoint is whether it is against a verse of Quran.

If it is explicitly against a verse of Quran and it cannot be interpreted to conform to Quran; then it is good for nothing and is discarded. It is surely not from the prophet or our understanding of it is faulty.

Regards

So like the Qur'an the ahadith were passed on orally,as you obviously know the Qur'an wasn't written down in full till he died so maybe the Qur'an is wrong,maybe Uthman edited out the unsavoury parts,surahAn-Najm is said by many to have some heavy editing like the satanic verses.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
So like the Qur'an the ahadith were passed on orally,as you obviously know the Qur'an wasn't written down in full till he died so maybe the Qur'an is wrong,maybe Uthman edited out the unsavoury parts,surahAn-Najm is said by many to have some heavy editing like the satanic verses.

The quran was memorized during the days of the prophet till our recent days and that isn't the case with the hadith.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

No.

For example:

Spread of Canary Islands:

The Canary Islands (English /kəˈnɛəri ˈaɪləndz/; Spanish: Islas Canarias [ˈizlas kaˈnaɾjas], locally: [ˈiɦlah kaˈnaɾjah]), also known as the Canaries (Spanish: Canarias), are a Spanish archipelago located just off the northwest coast of mainland Africa, 100 kilometres (62 miles) west of the southern border of Morocco.

The Canaries are one of Spain's 17 autonomous communities and are among the outermost region of the European Union proper. The islands include (from largest to smallest): Tenerife, Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, La Palma, La Gomera,El Hierro, La Graciosa, Alegranza, Isla de Lobos, Montaña Clara and Roque del Oeste.

Demographics

The Canary Islands have a population of 2,117,519 inhabitants (2011), making it the eighth most populous of Spain's autonomous communities, with a density of 282.6 inhabitants per km². The total area of the archipelago is 7,493 km2 (2,893 sq mi).[45]

Religion

The overwhelming majority of native Canarians are Roman Catholic with various smaller foreign-born populations of other Christian beliefs such as Protestants from northern Europe.

Separate from the overwhelming Christian majority are a minority of Muslims, though no official (Canary Islands) mention is made of them. Other religious faiths represented include The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as well as Hinduism. Minority religions are also present such as the Church of the Guanche People which is classified as a neo-pagan religion. The appearance of the Virgin of Candelaria (Patron of Canary Islands) was credited with moving the Canary Islands toward Christianity.

The Canary Islands are divided into two Catholic dioceses, each governed by a bishop:

• Diócesis Canariense: Includes the islands of the Eastern Province: Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura and Lanzarote. Its capital was San Marcial El Rubicón (1404) and Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (1483–present). There was a previous bishopric which was based in Telde, but be was later abolished.

• Diócesis Nivariense: Includes the islands of the western province: Tenerife, La Palma, La Gomera and El Hierro. Its capital is San Cristóbal de La Laguna (1819–present).

Canary Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Canary Islands.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

That is not correct. Muhammad had appointed several scribes to write whatever was revealed on him from the One-True-God.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Muhammad had appointed several scribes to write whatever was revealed on him from the One-True-God:

“DEVICES ADOPTED TO SAFE-GUARD TEXT OF THE QURAN

As soon as a revelation was received by the Holy Prophet
it was recorded in writing from his dictation. A number of
persons are known to have been employed by the Holy Prophet
for this purpose. Of these the names of the following fifteen
have been mentioned in the traditions (Fath al-Bari, Vol. 9,
p. 19) :
I. Zaid bin Thabit.
2. Ubayy ibn Ka'b.
3. 'Abdullah bin Sa'd bin Abi Sarh.
4. Zubair bin al-'Awwam.
5. Khalid bin Sa'id bin al-'As.
6. Aban bin Sa'id bin al-'As.
7. Hanzala bin al-Rabi' al-Asadi.
8. Mu'aiqib bin Abi Fatima.
9. 'Abdullah bin Arqam al-Zuhri.
10. Shurahbil bin Hasana.
1 I. 'Abdullah bin Rawaha.
12. Abu Bakr.
13. 'Umar.
14. 'Uthman.
15. 'Ali.

Whenever the Holy Prophet received a revelation, he would
send for one of these persons and dictate to him the text of the
revelation he had received.”

http://www.alislam.org/library/books/Introduction-Study-Holy-Quran.pdf

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

No.

For example:

Spread of Islam in Ceuta, Africa:

Ceuta (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈθeuta]; Arabic: سبتة‎, Sibtah) is an 18.5-square-kilometre (7.1 sq mi) autonomous city of Spain and an exclave located on the north coast of Africa, sharing a western border with Morocco.

Separated from the Iberian peninsula by the Strait of Gibraltar, Ceuta lies along the boundary between the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. Ceuta, along with the Spanish exclave Melilla, is one of two permanently inhabited Spanish territories in mainland Africa. It was part of Cádiz province until 14 March 1995, when the city's Statute of Autonomywas passed.

Demographics

Due to its location, Ceuta is home to a mixed ethnic/religious population. The four main religious groups are Christian, Muslim, Jewish and Hindu. Approximately 50% of the population is Spanish/Christian, approximately 49% Arab-Berber/Muslim, 0.25% Jewish, 0.25% Hindu, and 0.10% Roma.[31]
Spanish is the primary and official language of the enclave. Modern Standard Arabic and Moroccan Arabic are also widely spoken, as well as French and Berber. A significant minority speaks English because of the proximity to Gibraltar.[citation needed]

Ceuta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The battle over Ceuta

The run-down neighbourhood of winding alleys and shabby apartment buildings with its several mosques stretches across a hillside near the Moroccan border, and is a far cry from the sophisticated Spanish lifestyle on display in Ceuta’s port area. Here, residents chatter in Arabic and stroll through the streets in djellabas as they prepare festivities to mark the end of Ramadan. But they too are appalled at the idea of one day being turned over to Morocco.
“Of course Ceuta should stay a part of Spain,” said Mohammad, a small businessman and one of the Muslims who make up almost half of Ceutas population.

“It’s always been Spain. We feel Spanish even though we are part of Africa. I’m a Muslim first because that is my religion, but I was born here, I have a Spanish passport, and when the King Juan Carlos visited I came down and waved a Spanish flag at him.

“I have links with Morocco but if you gave me a choice I would always stay Spanish. I’m much better off than my Muslim brothers across the border.”

The battle over Ceuta, Spain's African Gibraltar - Telegraph

I don't see any sword in spread of Islam in Ceuta.

Regards

xkatz

No.

For example:

Spread of Canary Islands...

ricky-gervais-hysterical-laughter.gif

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Muhammad had appointed several scribes to write whatever was revealed on him from the One-True-God:

“DEVICES ADOPTED TO SAFE-GUARD TEXT OF THE QURAN

As soon as a revelation was received by the Holy Prophet
it was recorded in writing from his dictation. A number of
persons are known to have been employed by the Holy Prophet
for this purpose. Of these the names of the following fifteen
have been mentioned in the traditions (Fath al-Bari, Vol. 9,
p. 19) :
I. Zaid bin Thabit.
2. Ubayy ibn Ka'b.
3. 'Abdullah bin Sa'd bin Abi Sarh.
4. Zubair bin al-'Awwam.
5. Khalid bin Sa'id bin al-'As.
6. Aban bin Sa'id bin al-'As.
7. Hanzala bin al-Rabi' al-Asadi.
8. Mu'aiqib bin Abi Fatima.
9. 'Abdullah bin Arqam al-Zuhri.
10. Shurahbil bin Hasana.
1 I. 'Abdullah bin Rawaha.
12. Abu Bakr.
13. 'Umar.
14. 'Uthman.
15. 'Ali.

Whenever the Holy Prophet received a revelation, he would
send for one of these persons and dictate to him the text of the
revelation he had received.”

http://www.alislam.org/library/books/Introduction-Study-Holy-Quran.pdf

Regards

There are some interesting names there that remind me of the Ridda AKA Apostate wars,Apostates don't fare very well in Islam.

Bukhari and Muslim books of hadith collections are right up there in significance for Sunni and Shia Muslims,from an outside point of view they are interesting snippets into how your prophet behaved which wasn't anything out of the ordinary for the time but these ahadith do not paint Islam or your prophet with a kind brush,you may reject some hadith but others will accept the same ones,the hadith show that Islam was indeed spread by the sword and the love of war booty,its all there in the sahih collections.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
There are some interesting names there that remind me of the Ridda AKA Apostate wars,Apostates don't fare very well in Islam.

Bukhari and Muslim books of hadith collections are right up there in significance for Sunni and Shia Muslims,from an outside point of view they are interesting snippets into how your prophet behaved which wasn't anything out of the ordinary for the time but these ahadith do not paint Islam or your prophet with a kind brush,you may reject some hadith but others will accept the same ones,the hadith show that Islam was indeed spread by the sword and the love of war booty,its all there in the sahih collections.

Bukhari is an author, he born 2 centuries after the death of the prophet.

All hadith were about hearing, nothing was recorded, such as saying i heard so and so, which i take with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
Interesting position but one I believe is untenable consider the Sunnah is used as a basis for Sharia law, Quran was as well. Islam becomes a confused gibberish without context provided by Sunnah and Tasfirs which used it in conjuntion with the Quran.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Interesting position but one I believe is untenable consider the Sunnah is used as a basis for Sharia law, Quran was as well. Islam becomes a confused gibberish without context provided by Sunnah and Tasfirs which used it in conjuntion with the Quran.

I don't think Sharia law needs the hadith since God said that everything is included in the quran.

Sharia law is flexible, for example Umar Ibn Khattab suspended the sharia law of cutting the hand of the thief in the days of famine.

outhouse

Atheistically
At least 66,000 Syrian Kurds streamed into Turkey on Saturday, fleeing the latest advances of the Islamic State—the violent Sunni group that has declared a caliphate in parts of Syria and Iraq—

Nat geo

I think were in trouble, they have upgraded swords for guns heaven help us

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

The fact is that only Quran provides the context; Hadith cannot correctly provide the context.
It is true that Hadith is better than Torah and the NT-Bible are any other religious scriptures of the world.
Quran provides reason/wisdom and the context not just claims. It is for this all the above are finally checked with Quran.

Regards

Sabour

The reason for that is that most of people including muslims read Hadiths without knowing the context of the hadith or the reasons behind it at all.

For example, a person killing another person is considered a crime unless you know that the person was about to be killed and had no other choice. in that case it is self defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.