• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus gay?

Me Myself

Back to my username
But I'll throw this out there, going by the gospel accounts, he seems asexual more than anything. We're given no indication he had romantic/sexual interest in anyone.

true dat. By the gospels, he seems asexual. I think that is one of the most probable things.

Specialy if you think that premarital sex is a sin and Jesus never sinned, because being not married would mean he shouldn´t have "dirty" (like in, very lubricated) thoughts. He was the one saying that if you sinned in your mind, you still sinned.

Now, maybe he did married Magdalene. That I wouldn´t know :shrug:

And he was hardly the first Jew who remained a bachelor.

Actually, somewhere I heard it was really weird for Jesus to have remained "bachelor" at his age, and could be commonly considered suspicious in that time and jewish culture then. Was that wrong/misheard ?

no-body

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thise is funny jesus is gay
you all dont think that is insulting in anny way you look at it

if you are in an arabic country and with 100% muslims and you say thise, allah only allah know what will happens to you, at least geail and you crisitian dont feel it s insulting???????

it is absolutly disrespectful absoluty and noo level of humain bieng could ever do that
to inslut the persons that billions of ppl idolise it is absolutly direspectful

and dont tell me youre e crsitian e crsitian will never say such e think
The trees that are most rigid will break when the storm comes, the flexible ones will survive. Why are you guys so threatened by free thought?

You know what let us keep speculating. Maybe Muhammad was homosexual too. All those wives, he must have been compensating for something.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
And another thing, why did Jesus not wear Air Jordons instead of those gay sandals?

Do any of you realize that Jesus would have known he was going to be killed and there was no need for him to have a family. What kind of life would they have had?

Many people of faith focus on a spiritual life instead of a physical one.

Ever heard of the Pope?

CynthiaCypher

And another thing, why did Jesus not wear Air Jordons instead of those gay sandals?

Do any of you realize that Jesus would have known he was going to be killed and there was no need for him to have a family. What kind of life would they have had?

Many people of faith focus on a spiritual life instead of a physical one.

Ever heard of the Pope?

Jesus wasn't the pope. And to Jews, getting married and having babies is a religious obligation. His choice was odd for a Jew

Me Myself

Back to my username
You really think so? He seems to have a very emotional connection to his Beloved Disciple. I think this makes Jesus suspect.

:shrug: I take no offense. I just think it´s unlikely. It´s natural for spiritual masters to have close relationships with their disciples. What you say in another post confirms what I´ve heard: for jewish he should have been married by then.

So I still believe he may have been married with Magdelene, but I would deem his closeness to his disciples to more of a spiritual higher relationship akin to those of master and disciple in India than to an homosexual one.

CynthiaCypher

:shrug: I take no offense. I just think it´s unlikely. It´s natural for spiritual masters to have close relationships with their disciples. What you say in another post confirms what I´ve heard: for jewish he should have been married by then.

So I still believe he may have been married with Magdelene, but I would deem his closeness to his disciples to more of a spiritual higher relationship akin to those of master and disciple in India than to an homosexual one.

In the Bible this disciple is singled out has having a special relationship with Jesus. He leans on Jesus' breast(an intimate act) in John, he is called the disciple whom Jesus loved. If the Mar Saba letter is true then this disciple is probably Lazarus, in John Jesus wept for Lazarus because he loved him. In the Mar Saba this disciple is half naked and spends the night with Jesus

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Actually, somewhere I heard it was really weird for Jesus to have remained "bachelor" at his age, and could be commonly considered suspicious in that time and jewish culture then. Was that wrong/misheard ?
I'm sure you heard that right. However, it is wrong. I have seen that particular argument a number of times, and it is usually based on a false idea, concerning later Rabbis.

It was the norm for Jews to get married. However, it wasn't a definite rule. A great example is Paul. He was another Jew who did not get married, and doesn't really seem to get any gruff about it. Another example would be the Essenes, who were seen as respectable by many others.

So I don't think it would seem suspicious. It seems to be a non-issue, in regards that no one really mentions it. It isn't something that he is attacked about later on.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
And some scholars like Morton Smith believe that Jesus was funny. And they have evidence. That half-naked young man following Jesus around in Mark is sort of odd, don't ya think?
Morton Smith bases that primarily off of "secret Mark" which at best, is dubious. By and large, it is rejected as a forgery, or of little scholarly concern. The big problem with it is that we don't have a copy. And the case for Smith having created it is quite strong.

The half-naked young man is odd; however, it is a jump to say that he was the lover of Jesus, or anything that would suggest that Jesus was gay. After all, all we are told about him is that he was following Jesus. It isn't suggested that they were alone together (which, according to the story, is hardly possible), it isn't suggested that the man was anything special. In fact, it is most likely metaphorical, as in it shows the disciples as exposed as unfaithful.

CynthiaCypher

Morton Smith bases that primarily off of "secret Mark" which at best, is dubious. By and large, it is rejected as a forgery, or of little scholarly concern. The big problem with it is that we don't have a copy. And the case for Smith having created it is quite strong.

The half-naked young man is odd; however, it is a jump to say that he was the lover of Jesus, or anything that would suggest that Jesus was gay. After all, all we are told about him is that he was following Jesus. It isn't suggested that they were alone together (which, according to the story, is hardly possible), it isn't suggested that the man was anything special. In fact, it is most likely metaphorical, as in it shows the disciples as exposed as unfaithful.

We don't know if the Mar Saba is a forgery or not. And by and large it is still being debated. The BAR editors recently wrote about it, the debate is ongoing. And remember we don't have the Q source either so Secret Mark might be real.

It's not just the naked young man either, Jesus seems to have a deep emotional relationship with the Beloved Disciple, who might be the same person as naked guy

Me Myself

Back to my username
It's not just the naked young man either, Jesus seems to have a deep emotional relationship with the Beloved Disciple, who might be the same person as naked guy

He had nurtiring friendships.

while there is no harcold fact studies that prove that friendships might actually be deep and truthfull without sex, I am one of those controversial people that say they can be :p

CynthiaCypher

He had nurtiring friendships.

while there is no harcold fact studies that prove that friendships might actually be deep and truthfull without sex, I am one of those controversial people that say they can be :p

But you see this particular disciple would lean on Jesus' breast while they were reclining to eat and also in the Gospels Jesus seems not to have any close relationships with any woman besides his mother. His female disciples seem to understand him more than his male disciple and I think it is he had an affinity for women just like gay guys often do.

1. Close emotional relationship with another male
2. Absent father, pushy mom
3. Seems to understand femininity
4. Denigrates hetreosexual marriage, says that it is better to be a eunuch
5. Was a lifelong bachelor

If it walks, talks and swims like a duck, it's probably a duck

Me Myself

Back to my username
But you see this particular disciple would lean on Jesus' breast while they were reclining to eat and also in the Gospels Jesus seems not to have any close relationships with any woman besides his mother. His female disciples seem to understand him more than his male disciple and I think it is he had an affinity for women just like gay guys often do.

1. Close emotional relationship with another male
2. Absent father, pushy mom
3. Seems to understand femininity
4. Denigrates hetreosexual marriage, says that it is better to be a eunuch
5. Was a lifelong bachelor

If it walks, talks and swims like a duck, it's probably a duck

I think deep spirituality needs to be in contact both with it´s "femenine" parts and it´s "masculine" parts. Women are more social in nature than men in some regards that deem it likely for him to have had better relationships with her when his message was primarly one of love instead of law. For men (as a general rule) is easier when you put them laws or theories to abide to. For women the "subjective" or "emotional" part of the message can be less confusing many times.

About "staying eunuch" that would be very against homosexuality too. That would be more lean to asexualism again. Correct me if I am qwrong, but there needs be a penis to have sex with for most homosexuals too? At least for most of the homosexuals predilections? Course I might be wrong, it´s hardly my field of expertise :D

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Which guy was that?
Depends who you ask. According to his former student, Jacob Neusner:
"Like Arthur Darby Nock, but lacking his perspicacity and cultivation, Smith made his career as a ferocious critic of others. Smith thereby surrounded himself with a protective wall of violent invective; what he wished to hide, and for a while succeeded in hiding, was the intellectual vacuum within...I need not remind readers of this reprint of the scandal of Smith's "sensational discovery" of the Clement fragment, the original of which no one but Smith was permitted to examine. Purporting, in Smith's report, to demonstrate that the historical Jesus was "really" a homosexual magician, the work has not outlived its perpetrator."

For a review of the issues surrounding the possibility that the so-called "secret gospel of mark" is a modern forgery, see Ehrman's article in the Journal of Early Christian Studies 11(2).

Last edited:

CynthiaCypher

Depends who you ask. According to his former student, Jacob Neusner:
"Like Arthur Darby Nock, but lacking his perspicacity and cultivation, Smith made his career as a ferocious critic of others. Smith thereby surrounded himself with a protective wall of violent invective; what he wished to hid, and for a while succeeded in hiding, was the intellectual vacuum within...I need not remind readers of this reprint of the scandal of Smith's "sensational discovery" of the Clement fragment, the original of which no one but Smith was permitted to examine. Purporting, in Smith's report, to demonstrate that the historical Jesus was "really" a homosexual magician, the work has not outlived its perpetrator."

For a review of the issues surrounding the possibility that the so-called "secret gospel of mark" is a modern forgery, see Ehrman's article in the Journal of Early Christian Studies 11(2).

Project MUSE <- Ehrman's article. I believe he wrote the same thing in BAR

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Project MUSE <- Ehrman's article. I believe he wrote the same thing in BAR
Do you have access to the whole article? I can put it online for you if you don't. If you do, I'd love to hear your thoughts

The point of mentioning the qumran documents is that celibacy was hardly unheard of. In fact, cross-culturally a certain type of religious thought tends to involve celibacy.

CynthiaCypher

I think deep spirituality needs to be in contact both with it´s "femenine" parts and it´s "masculine" parts. Women are more social in nature than men in some regards that deem it likely for him to have had better relationships with her when his message was primarly one of love instead of law. For men (as a general rule) is easier when you put them laws or theories to abide to. For women the "subjective" or "emotional" part of the message can be less confusing many times.

About "staying eunuch" that would be very against homosexuality too. That would be more lean to asexualism again. Correct me if I am qwrong, but there needs be a penis to have sex with for most homosexuals too? At least for most of the homosexuals predilections? Course I might be wrong, it´s hardly my field of expertise :D
Yes but sometimes in those days eunuch could also be a euphemism for guess what...

CynthiaCypher

Do you have access to the whole article? I can put it online for you if you don't. If you do, I'd love to hear your thoughts

The point of mentioning the qumran documents is that celibacy was hardly unheard of. In fact, cross-culturally a certain type of religious thought tends to involve celibacy.

I am looking for BAR article. I can't access MUSE yet. Yes but in some religious disciplines at the time sexual libertinism was also espoused