• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus gay?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Was watching a debate the other day and someone said that we should be open to the possibility. After all, he spent his time mostly with men, he loved John very much and told his apostles that they would become fishers of men.

So I thought, wow, that's a good subject for this forum. So what do you think? Opinions please!
I think it a possibility that jesus kept a woman apostle around and the church didn't like those parts of the story.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
We don't know if the Mar Saba is a forgery or not. And by and large it is still being debated. The BAR editors recently wrote about it, the debate is ongoing. And remember we don't have the Q source either so Secret Mark might be real.

It's not just the naked young man either, Jesus seems to have a deep emotional relationship with the Beloved Disciple, who might be the same person as naked guy

THe Mar Saba letter really isn't debated. The vast majority of scholars dismiss it either as a forgery, or as dubious. The fact that the letter is destroyed, and can't be examined, basically make most scholars dismiss it.

As for the Beloved Disciple, that is only in one Gospel. There is no connection to this naked guy (such is nothing more than a leap of faith). As for the Beloved Disciple, they aren't mentioned in the other Gospels, or even in the gnostic texts (I guess Mary Magdalene is referenced in a similar way in a gnostic text). And really, it wouldn't be the first time that a platonic friendship occurred between a leader and a follower. And since there is no suggestion of anything more (and no mention in the other Gospels), there is no reason to think that it was sexual in nature at all.

CynthiaCypher

THe Mar Saba letter really isn't debated. The vast majority of scholars dismiss it either as a forgery, or as dubious. The fact that the letter is destroyed, and can't be examined, basically make most scholars dismiss it.

As for the Beloved Disciple, that is only in one Gospel. There is no connection to this naked guy (such is nothing more than a leap of faith). As for the Beloved Disciple, they aren't mentioned in the other Gospels, or even in the gnostic texts (I guess Mary Magdalene is referenced in a similar way in a gnostic text). And really, it wouldn't be the first time that a platonic friendship occurred between a leader and a follower. And since there is no suggestion of anything more (and no mention in the other Gospels), there is no reason to think that it was sexual in nature at all.

Not according to Ehrman. His criticism in the article cited above is that the vast majority of scholars accept it as a writing of Clement, fact is most scholars accept it as real

CynthiaCypher

And you know as well as I do that there is nothing in the NT to suggest Jesus had a close emotional relationship with Magdalene contrary to popular belief. What it does tell us is that he had a strong emotional bond with another man

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
1. Close emotional relationship with another male
Which is mentioned only in one Gospel. And even then, it isn't really focused on. More so, some have argued that this nameless disciple was a woman. It could also have been his brother. Or someone who say him as a father figure. Really though, it is only mentioned in one Gospel. The other Gospel writers seem to be oblivious about this.

2. Absent father, pushy mom
So one is not born as a homosexual? One can be turned into a homosexual? Not to mention that we have no idea when his father became absent in his life. We only know about Jesus really from the time that he is in his 30's, or at the very least, a man. So we can't really know if his father was always absent.

As for his mother being pushy, we really don't even hear about her. Much less know that she is pushy. I mean, if she was pushy, it wasn't very much, as we really don't hear about her.
3. Seems to understand femininity
As in what way? And how does that suggest one is gay?
4. Denigrates hetreosexual marriage, says that it is better to be a eunuch
Where does he do either? He in fact states that when one is married, there should be no reason for a divorce. That doesn't seem like denigrating heterosexual marriage.

And yes, he mentions eunuchs, but he doesn't say it is better to be one.
5. Was a lifelong bachelor
Which was in no way unique. Many Essenes were lifelong bachelors. More so, we are not told whether or not he was married or not. There are those who argue he was married to Mary Magdalene, and in fact, there is more evidence for that than him being gay.
If it walks, talks and swims like a duck, it's probably a duck
That really isn't the case here though. You're trying to shove Jesus into a duck suit, and then shove him into a pond.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not according to Ehrman. His criticism in the article cited above is that the vast majority of scholars accept it as a writing of Clement, fact is most scholars accept it as real
Three important caveats:

1) The paucity of evidence when it comes to early christianity, and for Jesus, tends to make historians accept documents which give them more evidence
2) In recent years, the tendency among biblical scholars to use extra-canonical sources has increased, sometimes to the point of the comical.
3) Even if the letter is genuine, it's historical value as a document which provides information on the historical Jesus is slim to none.

Last edited:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I have in front of me the book Forged, by Ehrman. He places the "Secret Mark" story in a section called "Hoaxes and other Deceptions."

He also address it in his book Lost Scriptures. Which he again says it is most likely a forgery, or something we can't authenticate.

As for Clement writing it, that would be fine. However, Clement didn't write the Gospel of Mark.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
And you know as well as I do that there is nothing in the NT to suggest Jesus had a close emotional relationship with Magdalene contrary to popular belief. What it does tell us is that he had a strong emotional bond with another man
Actually, John Shelby Spong has created quite an argument for it. One being that Mary seemingly thinks that she has a right to the body of Jesus, which suggests a closeness. That and she is at all of the important events in his ministry.

CynthiaCypher

Two important caveats:

1) The paucity of evidence when it comes to early christianity, and for Jesus, tends to make historians accept documents which give them more evidence
2) In recent years, the tendency among biblical scholars to use extra-canonical sources has increased, sometimes to the point of the comical.
3) Even if the letter is genuine, it's historical value as a document which provides information on the historical Jesus is slim to none.

That's three. And we are not debating the historicity of JC but his sexuality

CynthiaCypher

I have in front of me the book Forged, by Ehrman. He places the "Secret Mark" story in a section called "Hoaxes and other Deceptions."

He also address it in his book Lost Scriptures. Which he again says it is most likely a forgery, or something we can't authenticate.

As for Clement writing it, that would be fine. However, Clement didn't write the Gospel of Mark.
You said that scholars mostly dismiss it, yet Ehrman says most accept. You said scholars aren't debating it, yet Ehrman and other are still debating it. So who is right Ehrman and the scholars he is debating or you?

CynthiaCypher

Which has actually been used by some to argue that Jesus was married to Mary. They suggest that was Jesus' wedding.

However, in that case, Jesus' mother is hardly pushy. During a party, she tells him to do one thing. Not really pushy.

So he was invited as a guest to his own wedding? How does that happen?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
You said that scholars mostly dismiss it, yet Ehrman says most accept. You said scholars aren't debating it, yet Ehrman and other are still debating it. So who is right Ehrman and the scholars he is debating or you?
Ehrman isn't arguing that it is authentic. He may argue that it was written by Clement; however, Clement wasn't the author of Mark. We don't know who the author of Mark is. And according to his other works, he lists it as a hoax.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Just Mormons
Mormonism has no doctrine on whether Jesus was married or not. Some Mormons believe He was. Some people of other denominations may believe He was. I've seen articles written by non-Mormons with evidence suggesting that Jesus was married. Personally, to me, it's of no importance whatsoever that we know His marital status.