• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Mohammed a man of peace ? - as his last words were to curse the Christians and the Jews

arthra

Baha'i
Some sources that promote mercy in Islam:

"Remember, Maalik, that amongst your subjects there are two kinds of people: those who have the same religion as you have; they are brothers to you, and those who have religions other than that of yours, they are human beings like you. Men of either category suffer from the same weaknesses and disabilities that human beings are inclined to, they commit sins, indulge in vices either intentionally or foolishly and unintentionally without realizing the enormity of their deeds. Let your mercy and compassion come to their rescue and help in the same way and to the same extent that you expect Allah to show mercy and forgiveness to you."

(Ali b. Abi Taalib, Letters from Nahjul Balaagh)

"You have challenged me to a battle. I accept your challenge. But I have a proposal to make. Why have a war involving murder and bloodshed of thousands of ignorant people? Why be a scourge to mankind? Let us have mercy on them, whether they are sincere and Allah-fearing Muslims, or ignorant, unenlightened and greedy mercenaries misguided and fooled by you. Let there be peace and tranquillity for all the creatures of Allah."

(Ali b. Abi Taalib, Letters from Nahjul Balaagh)

Volume 8, Book 73, Number 26:
(Hadith, Bukhari Vol 8)

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle kissed Al-Hasan bin Ali while Al-Aqra' bin Habis At-Tamim was
sitting beside him. Al-Aqra said, "I have ten children and I have never kissed
anyone of them," Allah's Apostle cast a look at him and said,

"Whoever is not merciful to others will not be treated mercifully."

Volume 8, Book 73, Number 27:

Narrated 'Aisha:

I heard the Prophet and listened to him before his
death while he was leaning his back on me and
saying,

"O Allah! Forgive me, and bestow Your
Mercy on me, and let me meet the companions."

Volume 8, Book 73, Number 39:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle stood up for the prayer and we too stood up along with him. Then
a bedouin shouted while offering prayer. "O Allah! Bestow Your Mercy on me and
Muhammad only and do not bestow it on anybody else along with us."

When the Prophet had finished his prayer with Taslim, he said to the Bedouin, "You have
limited (narrowed) a very vast (thing)," meaning Allah's Mercy.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
To: LoverofTRUTH

TERRORISM:
Bukhari:V4B52N220 "Allah’s Apostle said, ‘I have been made victorious with terror.’"
Qur’an 8:12 "I shall terrorize the infidels. So wound their bodies and incapacitate them because they oppose Allah and His Apostle."
Qur’an 8:57 "If you gain mastery over them in battle, inflict such a defeat as would terrorize them, so that they would learn a lesson and be warned."
Ishaq:326 "If you come upon them, deal so forcibly as to terrify those who would follow, that they may be warned. Make a severe example of them by terrorizing Allah’s enemies." Qur’an 8:67 "It is not fitting for any prophet to have prisoners until he has made a great slaughter in the land."
Ishaq:588 "When the Apostle descends on your land none of your people will be left when he leaves."
Tabari IX:42 "We have been dealt a situation from which there is no escape. You have seen
what Muhammad has done. Arabs have submitted to him and we do not have the strength to fight. You know that no herd is safe from him. And no one even dares go outside for fear of being terrorized."
Ishaq:326 "Allah said, ‘No Prophet before Muhammad took booty from his enemy nor pris-
oners for ransom.’ Muhammad said, ‘I was made victorious with terror. The earth was made a place for me to clean.’"
Ishaq:327 "Allah said, ‘A prophet must slaughter before collecting captives. A slaughtered enemy is driven from the land. Muhammad, you craved the desires of this world, its goods and the ransom captives would bring. But Allah desires killing them to manifest the religion.’"
Qur’an 7:3 "Little do you remember My warning. How many towns have We destroyed as a raid by night? Our punishment took them suddenly while they slept for their afternoon rest. Our terror came to them; Our punishment overtook them."
Ishaq:510 "When the Apostle looked down on Khaybar he told his Companions, ‘O Allah, Lord of the Devils and what into error they throw, and Lord of the winds and what they winnow, we ask Thee for the booty of this town and its people. Forward in the name of Allah.’ He used to say this of every town he raided."
Ishaq:315 "It was so criminal, men could hardly imagine it. Muhammad was ennobled because of the bloody fighting. I swear we shall never lack soldiers, nor army leaders. Driving before us infidels until we subdue them with a halter above their noses and a branding iron. We will drive them to the ends of the earth. We will pursue them on horse and on foot. We will never deviate from fighting in our cause. We will bring upon the infidels the fate of the Ad and Jurhum. Any people that disobey Muhammad will pay for it. If you do not surrender to Islam, then you will live to regret it. You will be shamed in Hell, forced to wear a garment of molten pitch forever!"

Sorry to throw so much at you at once but there are hundreds more like this as well as historical data. This is about 1/5 of one section (there were three total) from one researcher. It's hard to know where to stop.
If you want just throw out all the ones you have any legitamate problem with, and defend what's left. I won't swamp you with quotes in the future but it's good to see that even if you could eliminate 50% for some reason or other, when you consider this is just a small sample, the cumulative case against Muhammad is overwhelming. I believe all of these are from Muslim sources and there is no way most of them are speaking about anything defensive. I still haven't answered some of your questions but I intend to. I have limited time thats why I asked you to limit your topics for me.

God Bless

Last edited:

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Why is it so important to make sure Muhammad was a man of peace? He was different from Jesus and lived in an entirely different culture ans situation. He was not Jesus, and we Muslims never claimed he was. He was a militarily-driven man who, usually when attacked, defended himself and his followers quite successfully. He didn't force everyone to convert, because of that was the case, why would Islam have survived and, in fact, grown so hugely after his passing? Wouldn't they just revert to their previous belief system and just let Islam dwindle away?

He was peaceful when he needed to be and was a fighter when he needed to be. Sounds like a normal man of his time to me...well, except for the prophethood, of course.

Marble

Rolling Marble
Why is it so important to make sure Muhammad was a man of peace? He was different from Jesus and lived in an entirely different culture ans situation. He was not Jesus, and we Muslims never claimed he was. He was a militarily-driven man who, usually when attacked, defended himself and his followers quite successfully. He didn't force everyone to convert, because of that was the case, why would Islam have survived and, in fact, grown so hugely after his passing? Wouldn't they just revert to their previous belief system and just let Islam dwindle away?

He was peaceful when he needed to be and was a fighter when he needed to be. Sounds like a normal man of his time to me...well, except for the prophethood, of course.
Can a man who behaves this way be a prophet?
Can a prophet be a man who behaves this way?

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Actually, I have heard many theories about precisely the opposite.

To a large extent, prophets come in times of oppression, prophets therefore need to be able to withstand the pressure of oppressors; pacifism while often used does not seem to be emphasised as the sole recourse.

godlikemadman

God Among Men
Why does it matter? Who decides what is worthy of prophethood and what isn't? Your opinions of what makes a prophet a prophet obviously mean nothing to the person who made the prophet a prophet (allegedly).

arthra

Baha'i
From `Umar. The Messenger of God said:

“There are people among the servants of God who are neither prophets nor martyrs; the prophets and martyrs will envy them on the Day of Resurrection for their rank before God Most High.”

People asked: “Tell us, Messenger of God, who are they?”

He replied:

“They are people who love one another for the spirit of God, without any mutual kinship or exchange of property. I swear by God, their faces will glow and they will stand in light. They will have no fear when the people will fear, and they will not grieve when the people will grieve.

He then recited the Qur’anic verse: “Behold! Indeed, the friends of God: no fear is upon them, neither shall they grieve.” (Abu Dawud 3520)

HADITH for Peacebuilders « Muslim Peace Fellowship

Last edited:

kai

ragamuffin
Why is it so important to make sure Muhammad was a man of peace? He was different from Jesus and lived in an entirely different culture ans situation. He was not Jesus, and we Muslims never claimed he was. He was a militarily-driven man who, usually when attacked, defended himself and his followers quite successfully. He didn't force everyone to convert, because of that was the case,
why would Islam have survived and, in fact, grown so hugely after his passing? Wouldn't they just revert to their previous belief system and just let Islam dwindle away?

Because of "Wars of Apostasy" and Islamic expansionism maybe ?

Last edited:

ankarali

In islam it is forbidden to attack somebody you have only permission to defend yourself
To understand better I will write a small history of islam:

Mohammad (peace upon with him) until the age of 40, he was not a prophet but he did prayers for Allah he knew there is one God. When he was 40, angel Gabriel came and declared him that he was the last prophet, the first word of Qoran was ''read!''

''read! read by the name of Allah who created you from an embrio''

his woman Hatice and his niece Ali were the first people who accepted islam, muslim community prayed secretly during 3 years when they reached to 40 people they declared islam but in Mecca, the Paganist begin to torture them attention please this tortures took 13 years and muslim people in Mecca never attacked to any paganist, instead of to do a war they decided to travel to another city (to Medina)
In Medina there was a Christian Group and this Christian group accepted the Muslim Group to stay in Medina and Mohamamd (peace upon with him) did a peace contract with paganist but after two years Paganist attacked to muslim Group and the first war between paganist and muslims (the war of Bedir) has been done by the victory of muslims.

the second war (uhud war) begun by the attacks of paganist there were no a winning party in this war

the third war (hendek war) begun also by the attack of paganist and ended by the victory of muslims

until here muslim people defended themselves

the first attack of muslims was the ''Mecca War'' after the hendek war

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

I agree.

Several religions acknowledge that their patriarchs and prophets were men. While they carried Divine messages or objectives, they were still human and were subject to the same flaws as the rest of us.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I agree.

Several religions acknowledge that their patriarchs and prophets were men. While they carried Divine messages or objectives, they were still human and were subject to the same flaws as the rest of us.
Which does not really apply to Muhammad as he is most often billed as the "perfect" human being.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Which does not really apply to Muhammad as he is most often billed as the "perfect" human being.

I'm sure that many do see him that way. But I've also met people who don't.

Edit: Just to expand on this. I view him like I do all other religious leaders, as normal people within their societies. I don't think that any revelation changes that; yes, they carry a Divine message and are often aided in with their tasks, but they are still human.

Last edited:

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Because of "Wars of Apostasy" and Islamic expansionism maybe ?

But those things wouldn't matter if they didn't accept his prophecy to begin with. Islam would have just died out.

He was a human being; yes, some consider him to be better than a regular person...and in some ways he was. I will agree that some Muslims put way too much emphasis on imitating him than necessary. "Follow the Prophet" doesn't mean to eat only what he ate, sit like him, walk like him...which is what some people do.

Whatever you think about some of his beliefs, he was successful as a leader.

arthra

Baha'i
From Humayd ibn `Abd ar-Rahman ibn Awf.A man came to the Messenger of God and said, “Messenger of God, teach me some words that I can live by. Do not make them too much for me, lest I forget.” The Messenger of God said, “Do not be angry.” (Al-Muwatta 47.11)

kai

ragamuffin
But those things wouldn't matter if they didn't accept his prophecy to begin with. Islam would have just died out.

He was a human being; yes, some consider him to be better than a regular person...and in some ways he was. I will agree that some Muslims put way too much emphasis on imitating him than necessary. "Follow the Prophet" doesn't mean to eat only what he ate, sit like him, walk like him...which is what some people do.

Whatever you think about some of his beliefs, he was successful as a leader.

Yes those things would never have happened if they accepted his prophecy to begin with. Once Arabs were intent on leaving the Arabian peninsular and crossing the world people didn't accept the prophecy did they, hence the rise of Islamic Empires.

I suggest it was more about power than prophecy once the prophet was gone. But i digress this thread is about the prophet .

1robin

Christian/Baptist
[FONT=CalistoMT,Italic][FONT=CalistoMT,Italic]TERRORISM[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=CalistoMT,Italic][FONT=CalistoMT,Italic]Ishaq:315 [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CalistoMT,Italic]

[/FONT]“It was so criminal, men could hardly imagine it. Muhammad was ennobled because of the bloody fighting. I swear we shall never lack soldiers, nor army leaders. Driving before
us infidels until we subdue them with a halter above their noses and a branding iron. We will drive them to the ends of the earth. We will pursue them on horse and on foot. We will never deviate from fighting in our cause. We will bring upon the infidels the fate of the Ad and Jurhum. Any people that disobey Muhammad will pay for it. If you do not surrender to Islam, then you will live to regret it. You will be shamed in Hell, forced to wear a garment of molten pitch forever!”

As any one can find 100s more quotes by Muhammad or about Muhammad like this one from muslim sources, there can be no doubt that Muhammad was an exceedingly violent man, as history clearly shows.

For his being a prophet, if so, I have no desire to believe in any God that would use this man as a prophet. I believe it's possible that a certain level of justified violence could be consistent with prohethood. However Muhammad's self serving offensive wars and raids were many times committed for selfish/almost satanic reasons and I believe this is completely inconsistant with a genuine prophet. Keep in mind he is supposed to be a prophet of the same God who allowed Moses to be severly punished for what seemed like a justified killing of an egyptian that was beating a Jewish slave.
Hardly consistent.