• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Age Is Acceptable To Identify As The Opposite Sex?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
So what else is it about then?

I am not passing judgment on these people. When my grandfather got up in age and began suffering from dementia, it would not have been a courtesy to confirm his delusions. We got him help, he got medicine and it helped some; but if we were to instead confirm that the guy on the TV were actually talking to him, we would not have been doing him any favors.
And there it is - that's what this is about to you. It's not about the super simple act of respecting human diversity, calling others what they'd like to be called, and being kind and courteous. Instead it's about passing judgement by suggesting that those who don't view sex and/or gender as some simplistic binary as "delusional" and equivalent to someone with dementia. :rolleyes:

If you want to believe folks "demented" and "mentally ill" if they or their culture don't agree with your simplistic sex or gender binary... whatever. But that goes beyond simple rudeness and disrespect and into something worse. And I will call that nonsense out for what it is - a hateful prejudice that doesn't just do a disservice to anyone who is nonbinary but also a disservice to folks who have actual mental health challenges.

Kfox

Kfox

And there it is - that's what this is about to you. It's not about the super simple act of respecting human diversity, calling others what they'd like to be called, and being kind and courteous. Instead it's about passing judgement by suggesting that those who don't view sex and/or gender as some simplistic binary as "delusional" and equivalent to someone with dementia. :rolleyes:
If you disagree with me, explain what it means to be non binary.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If I didn't care, I wouldn't be having this conversation. Admit it; the reason you won't answer my question is because you can't.
True in a sense - a teacher cannot make someone learn, the student has to do work. It isn't difficult to find materials on these topics, especially today. You could consult something as banal as Wikipedia, decades-old LGBTQ+ advocacy groups, the reams of academic research on gender studies, basic guides put together to educate allies, and so on and so on. There's tons of stuff out there these days. As is a running theme, it's not complicated to find.

Kfox

True in a sense - a teacher cannot make someone learn, the student has to do work. It isn't difficult to find materials on these topics, especially today. You could consult something as banal as Wikipedia, decades-old LGBTQ+ advocacy groups, the reams of academic research on gender studies, basic guides put together to educate allies, and so on and so on. There's tons of stuff out there these days. As is a running theme, it's not complicated to find.

We are not having a teacher/student relationship, we are equals. When they ask questions, I do my best to give an answer. When I ask questions, all that I ask is they do their best to give an answer. I don’t care if they get their answer from Wikipedia, Gender Studies literature, LGB groups; or any of that other stuff you mentioned; I don’t care I only expect an answer from the person I ask. Is that too much to ask?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Just so you know, the link you provided is for an activist website, not really a neutral, science-based sournce. You can see it in how they talk about these topics and the words they use.

And even if we agree to use their definitions, they start out by admitting that gender is hard to understand. Doesn't it seem that if it's hard for adults it would be basically impossible for kids?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I know women who prefer wearing men's clothes, but that doesn't make them a man; they're just women who prefer wearing men's clothes. Again; what feeling do men have that women do not have (and visa versa)?

As a man I have the feeling that I like being a man and I wouldn't like to be a woman, both sex and gender aspects.
I assume women feel the same in reverse.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
We are not having a teacher/student relationship, we are equals. When they ask questions, I do my best to give an answer. When I ask questions, all that I ask is they do their best to give an answer. I don’t care if they get their answer from Wikipedia, Gender Studies literature, LGB groups; or any of that other stuff you mentioned; I don’t care I only expect an answer from the person I ask. Is that too much to ask?

Well, you appear less educted when it comes to the problem of epistemology or you would have know about the problem with realism and the evil demon from Descartes.
So now I am going to test you again and ask if you can explain how come science is based on methodological naturalism?

Kfox

Well, you appear less educted when it comes to the problem of epistemology or you would have know about the problem with realism and the evil demon from Descartes.
So now I am going to test you again and ask if you can explain how come science is based on methodological naturalism?
The question at hand is about being non binary; this has nothing to do with natural science.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The question at hand is about being non binary; this has nothing to do with natural science.

Well, here is the problem of the limit of empirical.

All thoughts and feelings about what matters and how it matters are not real as the tree you mentioned. And that includes all of your evaluations of what is correct or not when it comes to human behavior. That is so for all humans with higher cognitive function.

So that you consider sex and gender to be the same is not real, because your consideration is not empirical.
And now I am going to do a reductio ad absurdum in the broad sense.

Let us say that you and I understand something different to the point that it amounts to a contradiction if consider together. I then claim you don't understand anything at all, because it amounts to a contradiction. The problem is that it works in the other direction too.
So for something where you don't understand another human, it doesn't mean that this other human doesn't understand it differently, just because you don't understand it the same way.

Once you learn to consider in effect the non-empirical parts of human understanding to be variable, you can ask different question than assuming that only your understanding is the correct one.
Do you understand this?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Did you know that modern teaching philosophy doesn't presume the sort of hierarchical power imbalance you're assuming? Especially in higher education, which is the context within which I serve as a teacher? Did you also know that pointing to experts is a good (and often better way) of informing someone about something rather than using one's own words? Are you actually going to read that last page - which I specifically highlighted for a reason - or continue to dance, duck, weave, and make things more complicated than they needed to be?

I mean, I know what the answer is, but I'm giving you one last attempt.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
True but we also need to see that our society is creating a lot more ‘experimentors’ than ever before. Many will end up being heterosexual at the end of the day. So before they start pumping themselves up with irreversible hormone treatments we should probably be sure. I think this is the crux of the whole debate really, but then again there’s also some downright mean people who won’t accept anybody for being gay.
What makes you think you know better than researchers, healthcare providers and the patients being treated?