• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Age Is Acceptable To Identify As The Opposite Sex?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
You keep whining about the definitions but offer up nothing but criticism at any definition presented.

At this point, you are merely picking at nits pretending they are mountains.

You might notice that the only time I use the word "gender" is when I'm asking for a definition. I don't use it, because I do not believe there is a solid, useful definition for the word. Universal linguistic and logic rules tell us that circular definitions are weak and mostly useless. So it's fair to criticize circular definitions when they are offered.

As for being nits, I have to disagree. This and many other threads use this word "gender" as a key basis for the discussion. If you cannot define a word, why are you using it?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
If you cannot define a word, why are you using it?
Except the problem here is NOT that the word is not being defined.
The problem here is not only you not liking the definition(s) provided, but that you can not/will not present a definition you do like.

So it is back to you wanting to make a mountain out of an ant hill instead of addressing the thread topic.

If you are unable to discuss the tread topic because you can not/will not define gender, then why post in them at all?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You might notice that the only time I use the word "gender" is when I'm asking for a definition. I don't use it, because I do not believe there is a solid, useful definition for the word. Universal linguistic and logic rules tell us that circular definitions are weak and mostly useless. So it's fair to criticize circular definitions when they are offered.

As for being nits, I have to disagree. This and many other threads use this word "gender" as a key basis for the discussion. If you cannot define a word, why are you using it?

I like evidence for that you can actually make a system based logic and objective evidence that is useful and that the evidence for useful is logical and objective.

Now let me put this in perspective for the world. It is now over 2000 years since we as humans started that process of logic and evidence. If there is such a system, just post a link to it. I mean, I can post links like this regarding science and what it can't do:

If there is such a system for objectively and logically useful, then post it!!!

Argentbear

Where did those rules come from? And what is a "gender norm"? And of course you'll need to define "gender" before you can define gender norm...
The definition of words comes from their usage. That is pretty common knowledge.

And if you were paying attention my repose was to a post that claimed that the word tomboy can't be attached to gender but you can't define tomboy without brining up both biological sex and gender norms.
You are of course free to try.

Argentbear

I disagree.

You and I are having a dialog here. We have tacitly agreed to use the English language, and standard grammar, and standard uses of logic, and the standard definitions of words, in order to exchange ideas. And for the most part we are agreed and so we can understand each other. I'm not imposing these things on you, these things are what we all tacitly agree to do whenever we talk to each other.

So it's logically true to say the following two sentences:

Cats are felines.
Felines are cats.

But if those are the only definitions we have for "cat" and "feline" we know virtually nothing about what those words mean. Those two sentences are a type of circular definition.

So when a person says something like:

Gender is what a person feels their gender identity is.
Gender identity is what gender a person feels they are.

That person has given another circular definition.
Except what you provide is not the only definitions for gender and gender identity.

Try again

Argentbear

But you reject out of hand the definitions so it is not a circular definition.
why ask for definitions and they ignore those definitions?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Said every toddler ever. They need someone to put up the boundaries, you know. Otherwise the world becomes unsafe and they can't even trust what's between their legs.
Are you calling me a toddler?
No, the point is; you shouldn't just ASSUME someone is referring to your gender because they refereed to you as he or she.
People don't get to see me naked or have a chromosome testing, amd even before I started presenting as female I got called female pronouns a lot.
You're making a bad assumption that you can just know and tell. Your assumption is what makes cis-women into victims (such as people calling the boxer who has been female.since birth a man).

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Except regret is very rare.
Do you happen to have the numbers handy?

I mean the percentage of the population that want the surgeries, the percentage of them who actually get the surgeries, and lastly the percentage of those who 'regret' having the surgery?

I am most curios why there is so much concern for a minority of a minority of....

Just how many minority deep are we talking about that has gotten all this concern?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner

I mean the percentage of the population that want the surgeries, the percentage of them who actually get the surgeries, and lastly the percentage of those who 'regret' having the surgery?

I am most curios why there is so much concern for a minority of a minority of....

Just how many minority deep are we talking about that has gotten all this concern?
Most sources put the number between 1 and 4 percent.
And why do Cons and Reps and Christians focus on it like they do? They haven't thought it out well. Like how many if them whk would object to a 17 or 18 year old medically transitioning but not bat an eye if they enlist in the military? They are "concerned" abiut trans, but not the damage, including to the brain, high schoolers are subject to when they play.football.
It's nothing but politicizing their ignorance.

Argentbear

Regret is less than 1%

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Ok.
Thank you.
What I am looking for is (Plugging your number in)

less than one percent of ??? percent of ??? percent regret the surgery.​

What is the percentage of those who want the surgery that got the surgery?
That would be the number in the first set of ???

Thee last set of ??? would be the percentage of the population that want the surgery.