• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are you currently playing?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I'll be honest, It did slip my mind that "playing" in this thread can be done with not just video games :)

Technology is so intoxicating.

Hi Smart-Guy,

If we zoom out, what's REALLY intoxicating is any activity that can reliably put a person into the "flow" state. You know the feeling - when you're so engrossed that you lose track of time...

Any activity that can provide a balance of skill and challenge can produce "flow". The people who make video games know this rule very well. For example, most video games provide increasing levels of challenge. So as you get better skills, you get bigger guns, but you also have to fight stronger opponents - so the skill / challenge balance is maintained.

This is why no one is addicted to tic-tac-toe. After a short time, tic-tac-toe can no longer provide increasing challenge.

So it could be that video games are so popular because they're tuned so well to instantly adjust the challenge level.

As a Go player, I have to find challenging opponents. (The good news with Go (unlike chess), is that Go has a beautiful, built-in handicapping system that allows both players to be challenged, even if their skills aren't equal.)

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I am three quarters of the way through Dragon Age Origins. My chick keeps dying and I cant work out why. FAIL lol

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Hi Smart-Guy,

If we zoom out, what's REALLY intoxicating is any activity that can reliably put a person into the "flow" state. You know the feeling - when you're so engrossed that you lose track of time...

Any activity that can provide a balance of skill and challenge can produce "flow". The people who make video games know this rule very well. For example, most video games provide increasing levels of challenge. So as you get better skills, you get bigger guns, but you also have to fight stronger opponents - so the skill / challenge balance is maintained.

This is why no one is addicted to tic-tac-toe. After a short time, tic-tac-toe can no longer provide increasing challenge.

So it could be that video games are so popular because they're tuned so well to instantly adjust the challenge level.

With many video/computer games, that's certainly the case. Others find different forms of engagement.

Heck, some games don't even have "challenge" at all, and have brought into question the very definition of a "game". Dear Esther, Gone Home, and The Stanley Parable are the primary examples.

Plus, there's creative games like Minecraft, which have some (usually optional) element of challenge but the primary form of engagement is exploration and creativity. Kerbal Space Program is an excellent teaching tool for how space-travel works in a semi-real-world context.

I also have a few ideas of my own. ^_^

So video games are big because of a variety of reasons. The most successful/highest quality mainstream games fit what you've described incredibly well, but they're certainly not the only reasons.

Jumi

Playing Mass Effect just started a new game as a vanguard on hardcore difficulty.

Also playing some poker now and then.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Not playing anything particularly at the moment, just The Sims 2 now and then, making my own neighbourhood from scratch.

But I'm VERY much anticipating the re-release of Suikoden and Suikoden 2 on the PS Store in January (people in N. America can already play them both now). Plus @Riverwolf don't know if you know, Majora's Mask is getting a remake on 3DS, coming out next year. I can't wait!!! :smilecat:

Next year is going to be great... Hopefully Zelda Wii U will be finished as well.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Not playing anything particularly at the moment, just The Sims 2 now and then, making my own neighbourhood from scratch.

But I'm VERY much anticipating the re-release of Suikoden and Suikoden 2 on the PS Store in January (people in N. America can already play them both now). Plus @Riverwolf don't know if you know, Majora's Mask is getting a remake on 3DS, coming out next year. I can't wait!!! :smilecat:

Next year is going to be great... Hopefully Zelda Wii U will be finished as well.
Im both happy and disappointed with the MM on 3DS. On one hand, it's a great game and that's great. On the other hand, what MM really needs is a remake with graphics reminiscent of Twilight Princess. Realistic, kinda dark, etc..

Also, That Hyrule Warriors game looks pretty cool. I used to love to play Dynasty Warriors. Add Zelda to that and it sounds awesome!

Riverwolf

Premium Member

Yes, I was very well aware of that remake, and I'm very excited for that. ^_^

Zelda WiiU should be ready next year, and apparently Star Fox will be out as well, before Zelda; at least according to Miyamoto and Aonuma-san's recent announcement.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
That is a shooter game that had a really interesting story. Particularly the ending.

I haven't played it myself, but a couple of gaming shows I follow talked about it. (Zero Punctuation and Extra Credits).

They've reported that it does a great job.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Streets of Rage Remake. A remake of a classic Sega franchise (all three parts), as the name suggest. It is fan made, yet very well (but not excellent) done. Took more that 8 years in development.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I haven't played it myself, but a couple of gaming shows I follow talked about it. (Zero Punctuation and Extra Credits).

They've reported that it does a great job.

It is a pretty good game. The gameplay itself is not particularly remarkable. If I remember correctly, you need to stay in cover most of the time. However, the story really does drive the player from the beginning until the end.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
It is a pretty good game. The gameplay itself is not particularly remarkable. If I remember correctly, you need to stay in cover most of the time. However, the story really does drive the player from the beginning until the end.

I actually understand that the gameplay was deliberately outdated in order to help punctuate the game's overall message.

"Need to stay in cover most of the time" does pretty much sum up my experience every time I try to load up a Modern Warfare shooter. ...well, that and not being able to distinguish friend from foe until the foe has already killed me.

The reason I, myself, didn't play Spec Ops: The Line is that its message, I understand, was primarily for those who have lots of experience in the genre, which I don't.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I actually understand that the gameplay was deliberately outdated in order to help punctuate the game's overall message.

"Need to stay in cover most of the time" does pretty much sum up my experience every time I try to load up a Modern Warfare shooter. ...well, that and not being able to distinguish friend from foe until the foe has already killed me.

The reason I, myself, didn't play Spec Ops: The Line is that its message, I understand, was primarily for those who have lots of experience in the genre, which I don't

Not really. What is it that that you gave you this impression?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I have seen a couple of videos from them ( him? ) in the past.

It's a team, the main writer being a veteran game designer and teacher at DigiPen (a school that has a game design curriculum), and the narrator being an animator at... Pixar, I think? They also have a team of artists. Their videos are some of my favorites.

I highly recommend checking out their two-parter on Spec Ops.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I bought this one yesterday. It should be a fun time killer for post-final exams.

the-wolf.jpg

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I finished Dragon Age Origins, Awakening and Witch Hunt. Was going to play DA2 all the way through but got bored with that so cheated and just selected my options in dragons keep and imported to my origin log in.

Started Inquisition yesterday, got past the main beginning bit. It looks so hugely different it is taking time to adjust. Also playing on xbox one after mainly gaming on the PC so that is taking adjusting. The storyline seems pretty awes though.

suncowiam

I finished Dragon Age Origins, Awakening and Witch Hunt. Was going to play DA2 all the way through but got bored with that so cheated and just selected my options in dragons keep and imported to my origin log in.

Started Inquisition yesterday, got past the main beginning bit. It looks so hugely different it is taking time to adjust. Also playing on xbox one after mainly gaming on the PC so that is taking adjusting. The storyline seems pretty awes though.

DGI is huge... I spent probably 30+ hours and still so much more to do. I took a break and started the multiplayer and now I'm hooked on it. Got my money's worth for sho.