• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are your opinions on Anti-Theism?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I worship planets, they are not gods but planets. You are merely trying to support the existence of a god by using semantics. This is pathetic and I cannot think of a more Last Resortish tactic ever.

You can think what you want, but that's not what I'm doing. if you wish to be in denial of the fact that immanent god-concepts not only exist, but were the standard before classical monotheism came onto the scene, have fun wallowing in that willful ignorance. I've seen it so many times before it ceases to surprise me by this point. You'll have plenty of company in ethnocentrism land.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Dragon Worshipper
Back to the topic:
I find theism to be dangerous for what it is, a delusion. Many delusions are beneficial such as hope, peace or happiness but theism is a sword that points in both directions and has no purpose.

All experience is delusion. Our senses are imperfect and do not show us reality as it is. Our emotions, likewise, are based on delusion. You acknowledge that many delusions are beneficial but disregard theism as being a useless one. This is simply your perspective on it. It seems a little rude to declare it, generally, to be useless as a whole. It has been shown that when Buddhist monks meditate and when Catholic nuns pray, they are able to reach higher states of consciousness and focus. I imagine that it'd be difficult to make a case that it was "useless" to hold such beliefs, as they literally reached a higher state of focus in the physical world because of them.

Also, I think you look at religion too simply. Your statements presume views, like "one either is or is not a theist." Or "one follows a god or does not." But, I think, these views are subjective and, I believe, farther from the truth.

For example, I lived in Mongolia for a time. I interacted with monks who followed a colorful form of Buddhism. They worshiped the Buddha as something akin to as god and preformed rituals every morning in honour of different deities. But, when I talked to a monk there, he told me that there were no gods or supernatural forces in the way in which we think about them. They are beyond our comprehension. I asked him why they taught meditation techniques that seemed to me to be focused on purposefully deluding the mind. He said that that was exactly what they were for. To delude the mind into seeing something closer to the truth.

In linear thinking, we cannot hope to grasp the nature of reality. Through religious delusion, perhaps we can come closer. The focus and clarity achieved through these types of meditation quiet the "monkey mind" that always bombards you with doubts and distractions that cloud your perception infinitely more.

Does this man believe in a god or not? Is he a theist? Or not? These are blurred lines.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
You can think what you want, but that's not what I'm doing. if you wish to be in denial of the fact that immanent god-concepts not only exist, but were the standard before classical monotheism came onto the scene, have fun wallowing in that willful ignorance. I've seen it so many times before it ceases to surprise me by this point. You'll have plenty of company in ethnocentrism land.

I believe you are having a very massive case of denialism here. Playing with words does not create a god. Define god, do not define a physical object that i not a god.

If god is Mars then I am sorry but Mars is also icecream and you worship a god which is also icecream. So stop pretending you worship a god when you just worship Icecream. Icecream can be defined as what one worships ya know

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
All experience is delusion. Our senses are imperfect and do not show us reality as it is. Our emotions, likewise, are based on delusion. You acknowledge that many delusions are beneficial but disregard theism as being a useless one. This is simply your perspective on it. It seems a little rude to declare it, generally, to be useless as a whole. It has been shown that when Buddhist monks meditate and when Catholic nuns pray, they are able to reach higher states of consciousness and focus. I imagine that it'd be difficult to make a case that it was "useless" to hold such beliefs, as they literally reached a higher state of focus in the physical world because of them.

Also, I think you look at religion too simply. Your statements presume views, like "one either is or is not a theist." Or "one follows a god or does not." But, I think, these views are subjective and, I believe, farther from the truth.

For example, I lived in Mongolia for a time. I interacted with monks who followed a colorful form of Buddhism. They worshiped the Buddha as something akin to as god and preformed rituals every morning in honour of different deities. But, when I talked to a monk there, he told me that there were no gods or supernatural forces in the way in which we think about them. They are beyond our comprehension. I asked him why they taught meditation techniques that seemed to me to be focused on purposefully deluding the mind. He said that that was exactly what they were for. To delude the mind into seeing something closer to the truth.

In linear thinking, we cannot hope to grasp the nature of reality. Through religious delusion, perhaps we can come closer. The focus and clarity achieved through these types of meditation quiet the "monkey mind" that always bombards you with doubts and distractions that cloud your perception infinitely more.

Does this man believe in a god or not? Is he a theist? Or not? These are blurred lines.

I share a common goal with my kind and that is to rid the world of one particular delusion do to it's danger. Delusions do help people as I stated before and we both agree with this. Some particular delusions though are harmful despite any benefit they have.

The 2nd most despised delusion next to theism is government. It does good but 90% of governments could be revamped easily. On top of this they still become cesspools for frustration and evil.

Shad

Veteran Member
I am an anti-theist and just curious on the overall opinions of anti-theism by theists and nontheists

I think it is required. There should be an opposing view to promote dialogue and discussion. I also think there should be internal anti-views within both theism and atheism. Anti-tradition, anti-doctrine, etc. The status-quo is not guaranteed to be correct view.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Topic title: What are your opinions on Anti-Theism?
----------------------------------------------------

Well either people believe this or they don't..:)-

"God hangs the earth on nothing" (Job 26:7)
hangs-earth_zpsd890daaa.jpg~original

idav

Being
Premium Member
I am an anti-theist and just curious on the overall opinions of anti-theism by theists and nontheists

If the sort of theism being believed is problematic then it should be opposed. Belief in super beings grants too much authority to the believers themselves and can easily become a matter of life and death. The problem isn't so much theism itself but the fact that people grant themselves so much authority based on a mere faith belief. It amazes me how many people with gods authority can't agree with each other even regarding trivial stuff. I would almost say it is blind faith that is the issue, the hard core type of believers that will believe no matter what. How can people use faith based answers to solve problems of matter of life and death. The point of death is not a good time to gamble whether our guesses are good enough or not.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
For us non-believers deism and theism are just ideas. No ideas are above being laughed at or debated. Many deists and theists get quite offended when their ideas are subjected to humor or debate.

That's one reason that I'm anti-theist.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
For us non-believers deism and theism are just ideas. No ideas are above being laughed at or debated. Many deists and theists get quite offended when their ideas are subjected to humor or debate.

That's one reason that I'm anti-theist.

Another thing people do not realize is the nature of anti-theism. Theism only addresses what you believe in. As an anti-theist I would not be bothered in the slightest bit if a person worshiped Allah or did some kooky ritual in Zeus's name. This is no different than people celebrating a holiday and singing carols in honor of Santa.

But if a person actually believes in Santa and is singing songs to Santa then it gets silly. Anti-theists who have developed enough understanding about culture and simple psychology know that belief and honor are very different things along with symbolism.

I have a wall covered in my own paintings of Hellenic gods and goddesses including a few Hindu ones. A developed anti-theist would not be irrational or feel offended by the mere usage of god but the belief in god would and should make the anti-theists criticize this notion with pure reasoning alone.

If somebody can prove that a god exists so be it, I will become a theist but if every claim and argument for the existence of such a thing falls flat before it takes a single step then it is obvious cognitive treachery.

People seem to just make it seem as if us anti-theists are angry atheists.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I think the term 'anti-theist' is too unclear. I think I need to hear a more detailed description of what the person is saying and espousing. I'm guessing it varies between anti-theists.

What is your opinions and what do you espouse?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I think the term 'anti-theist' is too unclear. I think I need to hear a more detailed description of what the person is saying and espousing. I'm guessing it varies between anti-theists.

What is your opinions and what do you espouse?

anti-theism is merely opposition towards theism and theism is the belief or espousing of a god. An anti-theist seeks to do the reverse of this and get rid of the belief in a god.

The reasons for this can be anything f course since anti-theism is a simplistic concept. More matured anti-theists will desire to get rid of the notion of theism because of its conflicts with reality, lack of evidence and the evils so easily done because of theism. Any delusion that creates unnatural worldviews are not tolerated by me.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I think humanity has outgrown theism and now it's doing more harm than good.

That doesn't mean we need to abandon spirituality, community, empathy, and all the good stuff. We just don't need to pretend to know what we don't know.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard

That doesn't mean we need to abandon spirituality, community, empathy, and all the good stuff. We just don't need to pretend to know what we don't know.

Hmm..

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard

Theism, and religion In general, was supposed to be an evolutionary aspect of our species. Or do atheists just now see it as something we could have done entirely without.