• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are your opinions on Anti-Theism?

Chakra

Premium Member
Next in line would be animism but not many people are familiar with this so polytheism comes next because for some moronic reason atheists and anti-theists alike get confused by this. I do not see how honestly.

I personally think that polytheism and monotheism are the same although monotheism i easier for the mind.

I see. What are your opinions on monism, as seen in Advaita Vedanta? Many people call it as scientific and rational.

Talking about Purva Mimamsa and not the religious text itself
I am familiar with it and someone has taught me some of the basics (shout-out to Poeticus-ji) but other than that I don't know too much about it.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I see. What are your opinions on monism, as seen in Advaita Vedanta? Many people call it as scientific and rational.

Monism can be applied to anything it just means the basis for a multiplicity is a single thing. It has no basis in theism really. Matter and energy are monistic for example.

It is just a descriptive tool but in relation to theism is really does nothing as far as existence or nonexistence of a deity.

I am familiar with it and someone has taught me some of the basics (shout-out to Poeticus-ji) but other than that I don't know too much about it.

Dont take my word for it though since I am an idiot when it comes to religion :D

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Honestly, If you really want to see what they're like, Just google some Anti-Theist websites and take a gander through their propaganda.

I thought I knew what they were like, but maybe you can give me a suggestion or two?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What type of theism do anti-theists find the easiest to refute (besides pantheism)?

Anti-theism as I understand it isn't about refutation so much as advising against, but I don't think pantheism is particularly easy to refute in any case. Abrahamic Theism is perhaps the only one of the more widespread forms that I feel to be quite refutable.

Chakra

Premium Member
Anti-theism as I understand it isn't about refutation so much as advising against, but I don't think pantheism is particularly easy to refute in any case. Abrahamic Theism is perhaps the only one of the more widespread forms that I feel to be quite refutable.

So that means that I can also be considered an anti-theist since I am not particularly a fan of the Abrahamic theisms?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So that means that I can also be considered an anti-theist since I am not particularly a fan of the Abrahamic theisms?

Probably not, unless you feel that most people would be better off if they let go of belief in deities.

It may well mean that you may find some common ground with us, though. Which I find rather natural, actually.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
These sort of things are really more of an ideological and cultural issue if anything. It is always best to separate theism from religion

I disagree, on both counts. And I think you've been *guilty* of the same sorts of mild conflations in this very thread.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Can you give an example please?

Am omnipotent god.

Can something all powerful create a stone it cannot lift.

Omniscience and Freewill.

If a being is omniscience it will know its' own future choices and deny itself free will.

Jesus dies for our sins.

Yet the sins are the result of Adam and Eve being created without knowledge of sin.

The list goes on and on.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Am omnipotent god.

Can something all powerful create a stone it cannot lift.

Omniscience and Freewill.

If a being is omniscience it will know its' own future choices and deny itself free will.

Jesus dies for our sins.

Yet the sins are the result of Adam and Eve being created without knowledge of sin.

The list goes on and on.

Why would any anti-theist need to refute any of those things?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I disagree, on both counts. And I think you've been *guilty* of the same sorts of mild conflations in this very thread.

I have kept repeating myself over and over about the differences of religion and theism.

On top of this I have gone over numerous times that theism is deemed irrelevant because it is replaceable. I have spent vast amounts of time making sure these exact conflation do not arise.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Why would any anti-theist need to refute any of those things?

Oh sorry you mean't thing that should be refuted. I lost track, sorry.
Still those things need to be refuted.

Historicity of the origins of religions and miraculous claims though need to be refuted

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
By the way is personal "experience" of some sort the reason you remain a liberal theist? :)

....Meow

I meant 'experience' in the sense of meeting people of said religion, etc., not some "experience" where people feel the "all" while meditating surrounded by incense and statues.

May not have been clear about that.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I meant 'experience' in the sense of meeting people of said religion, etc., not some "experience" where people feel the "all" while meditating surrounded by incense and statues.

May not have been clear about that.

Wow, that cleared things up because I was getting the wrong impression.

By impression I mean the kind where you take a stamp and impress it into the skin. Just joking :D