• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I haven't read a book in ....ahhh 8 months or a year...there aren't any pictures and it doesn't say anything back when I ask for clarification. :shrug:

JiSe

Too many would be good answer for me too, but here is short list:
Violent Python (programming)
Jerusalem the biography
Norwegian Wood
And Collapse by Jared Diamond

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
World War Z.

Very interesting format for the zombie apocalypse genre, and a rather realistic portrayal. I love the social and political commentary aspect. Wanted to read it before I watched the movie, though I'm now willing to bet that the movie doesn't contain any of the smart nuances that this book has.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
World War Z.

Very interesting format for the zombie apocalypse genre, and a rather realistic portrayal. I love the social and political commentary aspect. Wanted to read it before I watched the movie, though I'm now willing to bet that the movie doesn't contain any of the smart nuances that this book has.

I've been wanting to read that! I've got, and listened to the audio book, only it's abridged, so it skips a fair bit, like the entire bit about the ISS. However, the quality of the voice acting makes it really superb.

I've just finished Perdido Street Station by China Miéville. Victorian industrial, steampunk-ish, very very dark. Extremely well-written, descriptive and engaging. I can immerse myself in Miéville's world so easily, I'm totally falling in love with this author.

Heim

I've been reading 'The Universe Versus Alex Woods'.

I've been neglecting it because of uni, though.

apophenia

Just finished 'Distrust That Particular Flavor', a collection of essays by William Gibson.

This book has some interesting insights into our new predicament as a collective cyborg.

sarek

Currently reading(alternating between) a massive stack of 4th way books:

In search of the miraculous, by Ouspensky
Beelzebub's tales, by Gurdjieff
Psychological commentaries, by Nicoll
Gnosis, by Mouravieff

apophenia

Currently reading(alternating between) a massive stack of 4th way books:

In search of the miraculous, by Ouspensky
Beelzebub's tales, by Gurdjieff
Psychological commentaries, by Nicoll
Gnosis, by Mouravieff

Well, just remember ... 'quality suffering goes unnoticed' (Robert Fripp)

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
The Glass Bead Game - Herman Hesse
Island - Aldous Huxley
The Tibetan Book of The Dead - Evans Wentz
The Secret Supreme - Swami Lakshmanjoo
The Quickening - Stuart Wilde
Kundalini - The Evolutionary Energy in Man - Gopi Krishna
The Poems of William Blake - W.B. Yeats
The Immortals of Meluha - Amish Tripathi
The Upanishads - Max Muller
The Alchemist - Paul Coelho
Be Here Now - Ram Dass

You will usually find me reading any of those books at any given time.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

Right now I am reading two books.

One is "Amazonia" by James Rollins, Harper Books Thriller, 2002.

The other is "Proof of Vedic Culture's Existence" by Stephen Knapp (A.K.A. Sri Nandanandana Das), Booksurge, 2000.

Both are good reads!

I am also reading this month's edition of Minerva magazine, and Actual Archaeology Magazine.

And I just got home from a Diwali special vegie dinner gathering of prashad offered in a Hindu puja, at someone's house. And I was given a book to read "Birds of the Backyard" as a gift.

Om Namah Sivaya

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Just finished World Without End: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Without_End_(Follett_novel)

It's a follow-up to Pillars of the Earth: The Pillars of the Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wouldn't exactly call it a sequel since the story takes place a cpl of hundred years after Pillars of the Earth ends, but here's part of the wiki description:
wiki said:
World Without End takes place in the same fictional town as Pillars of the Earth—Kingsbridge—and features the descendants of some Pillars characters 157 years later.[1] The plot incorporates two major historical events, the start of the Hundred Years' War and the Black Death.[2]

Incredible read (both are). Ken Follett is a genius IMO.

Over 1000 pages without one uninteresting paragraph. :p

Now I'm reading this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramids_(novel)

Pratchett's always a sure win.