• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets

It'a a required reading for a class. It's good so far, but a part of me wonders how much he embellished some of the details.

I suspect many here are avid book readers.

I am currently reading two, in tandem.

One, which is excellent, is Warlock by Wilber Smith. (Ancient Egyptian local)

The second, which is not quite so interesting is, The Sundered World by Frank Ryan.

How 'bout you folks?

God is not Great: Hitchens

The last argument of kings: Abercrombie

Breaking the spell: Dennett

Just finished: David and Goliath (Gladwell), Nailed Ten Christian Myths that prove Jesus never Existed (Fitzgerald), Before they were hanged (Abercrombie)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm reading a book called The Digital Daycare Center. It's handbook for dealing with troubled young people (or people who just act like they are) on the internet.

GoodbyeDave

The last two, fiction and non-fiction, were
The ebb-tide, by Robert Louis Stevenson
The coherence of theism, by Prof. Richard Swinburne

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I just finished George Carlin's "When will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?" My only complaint is the handful of material in the book that I've seen on his specials. Other than that it's a great read.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Reading Thomas Malthus an Essay on the Principle of Population.

Fell in love with the theory in High School wanted to reread it again.

It is amazing.

His two principles

Humans need for food has remained constant throughout evolution
Humans need for sex has remained constant throughout evolution.

Although our need for food is constant, his predictions on our ablility to make more food missed the mark. You could substitue water for today's version.

He also was a feminst. He believe that in harsh times it was women that felt the vices first.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
The Sea is so Wide and My Boat is so small
Marian Wright Edelman 2008

A book concerning the upbringing of children with many wise suggestions

A quick quote

"Congregations of faith dot almost as many inner city streets as liquor stores but, unlike liquor stores, their doors are often locked."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I'm trying to decide what I want to read next. Which I think is a sign it's time for me to get lost in a library for a couple hours.

GoodbyeDave

I've just finished Richard Creel's Divine Impassibility and Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle. Tomorrow morning I'm off to the library for Frankfurter's Religion in Roman Egypt and any 1930's detective story I haven't read, among other things.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Reading Anne Bishop's Tir Alainn books (Pillars of the World and sequels) right now. Just finished Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radience, book 2 of the Stormlight Archive (epic.)