• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What contributes more - science or religion???

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
What he posted was lies about Gandhi and it is not true.
:eek:

I've posted both the quotes and the references.
Do you deny that they are correct or do you deny that they are racist in nature?

Those two claim Gandhi was a racist and Mother Teresa a terrorist so they are not open to the truth.

Uncritical admiration is not a healthy trait.
I've never said that Mother Teresa was a terrorist though...

They are not judging too soon as theirs is judgments based on their own trashy intentions.

And what intentions would that be?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Those two claim Gandhi was a racist and Mother Teresa a terrorist so they are not open to the truth.

They are not judging too soon as theirs is judgments based on their own trashy intentions.

:yes:

are these judgments made upon false facts?
did gandhi call black africans a derogatory name?
did mother theresa perpetuate misery by saying the use of condoms was a form of abortion?

if you call truth "trashy intentions" then it's no surprise you adhere to the principle of lies, trickery, abuse and intolerance religious faith has bestowed upon society...

Ubjon

Science by a long run. Most if not all the advances that have improved the standard of life for people have come from science rather than religion. Religion tends to retard advancement when those who subscribe to it protest against and hinder scientific research that they think runs counter to their religious beliefs.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I say the reasons are in part because "Atheism" is just another form of a religion, and most Atheist are religious persons expressing their doubts and their lacking in faith.

It is pretentious to come onto a religious forum and then claim to be a devout Atheist.

:sad:

I would say it is pretentious to claim Atheism as a religion, or to generalize their motives.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Im still having trouble bow religion "retards" society. It seems the gist of the comparison argument, (religion vs science) is that you're comparing customs attributed to religion versus the technological advancements of our time. I believe medical science is about the advancement of human life and health. I don't see how religion is different save the methods in which one goes about. Instead of anecdotes, I would like to know how every single religion on this planet is bad for society.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Im still having trouble bow religion "retards" society. It seems the gist of the comparison argument, (religion vs science) is that you're comparing customs attributed to religion versus the technological advancements of our time. I believe medical science is about the advancement of human life and health. I don't see how religion is different save the methods in which one goes about. Instead of anecdotes, I would like to know how every single religion on this planet is bad for society.

religion is the bane of our existence because it thinks for you and tells you what is right and what is wrong...
for instance, who in their right mind would protest and celebrate the death of a soldier just a few hundred feet from his funeral? who in their right mind would perpetuate the misery of disease and hunger and allow for young mothers to watch their children die because the use of condoms was considered an abortion,an act of murder? who in their right mind, while the smoke hadn't cleared, said the reason for 9/11 was because of god's punishment for homosexuality? who in their right mind would blame the haitian's for the earthquake?

it's the mentality that god is on our side.
but every religious person believes that...if you were born in the middle east your religion is the true religion, if you were born in rome, your religion is the true religion, if you were born in the US your religion is the true religion...do you see any sign of unity there? any sign for a peaceful world when everyones religion is the true religion?

that's why religion is evil.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
@waitasec

I assume you never studied philosophy and or had a course in linguistics. No offense but my position was quite clear "prove that ALL" religions are bad. Without going into detail of your previous post, you attempted to offer only examples specified at fundamentalist christians. The latter has no relationship to Amazonian tribes who may worship a different god or goddess and may have different rituals and behavioral customs.

Again let me pose the question again: Prove that all religions are bad

Note: there are thousands of religious organizations so if you don't know em all your generalization becomes flawed FYI

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
What I don't get is why so many critiques only applicable to Abrahamic paths are painted onto all religions.

It gets a bit boring when only one religion in particular, or even just branch of religious thought is used to discuss why religions are bad.
sigh.gif

C'mon, guys, I'm being left out! :p

outhouse

Atheistically

religion retard's education

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Odion that is my point. So far the athiests who say religion, are using judeo christian examples to paint entire religions. What that means is they are only accessing the most obvious information about religion on tv or personal experience. This is why I am asking them to clarify and/or change their generalized statement.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Yeah, poor Odion feels left out. :D

Do you mean non-monotheistic or non-Abrahamic, may I ask? For clarification purposes. :)[/QUOTE

Thanks Odion I meant three non-abrahamic faiths however I will include zoroastrian religion and Sikhism as well

waitasec

Veteran Member
@waitasec

I assume you never studied philosophy and or had a course in linguistics.

another attempt to belittle my argument with insults...come on, do you have a vendetta against me for some reason?
have i insulted you? why are you then so insecure as to fall back on this obvious sign of insecurity....?

No offense but my position was quite clear "prove that ALL" religions are bad. Without going into detail of your previous post, you attempted to offer only examples specified at fundamentalist christians. The latter has no relationship to Amazonian tribes who may worship a different god or goddess and may have different rituals and behavioral customs.

Again let me pose the question again: Prove that all religions are bad

Note: there are thousands of religious organizations so if you don't know em all your generalization becomes flawed FYI

are you suggesting that the major religions of the world are not at odds with each other?
tell me something....how many christians, jews and muslims followers are there compared to to the rest of the worlds religions? tell me something else, now that a certain religious regime has access to nuclear arms and has a death wish for the infidels and for the demise of this present world, do you feel any safer?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Thanks Odion I meant three non-abrahamic faiths however I will include zoroastrian religion and Sikhism as well

Hmmm, do you think that Zoroastrianism and Sikhism "retard" education? Or just want them out for arguments sake?

waitasec

Veteran Member
@vendetta

here are some other religions that have been very destructive that are not a part of the mainstream monotheistic religions...

branch davidians
heaven's gate
jeffrey lundgren
movement for the restoration of the ten commandments of god (uganda)
the people's temple (jim jones)
solar temple

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
another attempt to belittle my argument with insults...come on, do you have a vendetta against me for some reason?
have i insulted you? why are you then so insecure as to fall back on this obvious sign of insecurity....?

are you suggesting that the major religions of the world are not at odds with each other?
tell me something....how many christians, jews and muslims followers are there compared to to the rest of the worlds religions? tell me something else, now that a certain religious regime has access to nuclear arms and has a death wish for the infidels and for the demise of this present world, do you feel any safer?

Well not really insecure. I am belittling your attempt to make a justification of "belittling" religion. I asked for your background in philosophy or language because you have a hard time either understanding me, or you prefer avoiding my question. A true sign of intelligence and humility is for one to say they don't know. But with you, instead of answering my question you respond with another question to me that is a sign you cannot answer me.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
@vendetta

here are some other religions that have been very destructive that are not a part of the mainstream monotheistic religions...

branch davidians
heaven's gate
jeffrey lundgren
movement for the restoration of the ten commandments of god (uganda)
the people's temple (jim jones)
solar temple

Are you kidding? Majority of those are cults and does not answer my question......Let me ask again, name 3 other non-abrahamic religions (religions that are classified as religions.not cults) that retard education. Instead of lists systematically show me three and show me where each three retards religion. How hard is that?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
You may want to ask waitasec for that......I made no such claim that those two do.
Yeah, I know you didn't make the claim. :)

I meant that I was wondering why you chose to add them into your request for them to list 3 religions besides the Abrahamic (and Sikh and Zoroastrian) that do. :)