• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What contributes more - science or religion???

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Disclaimer: The above research links may not have entire article just summary. Let me know so I cam get appropriate.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Well that is only one article. Read the following: How prayer works Jana AK - Indian J Psychiatry

(Sarcasm) guess athiests running out if excuses.

This article abstract contains no information on the tests performed, or indeed, if any where performed at all.

I read a lot of research articles so please if.you like psychiatric or psychological research articles.let.me know. Here is another: Spirituality and Health

Let me guess.....athiest will say psychology is not a hard enough science to prove otherwise...

Need more info on the methodology and the abstract is lacking of a conclusion, barring that the author thinks the subject needs to be investigated further.

Here is another article.....by all means don't skim, read the article....

Elsevier

Need more info on the methodology and the abstract is lacking of a conclusion.

I cannot read the full articles as they require me to log in/subscribe. Are they referenced anywhere else?

Also, I do not see any evidence that religiosity/prayer works on any level outside the placebo effect, which you stated that it clearly does.

David M

Well that is only one article. Read the following: How prayer works Jana AK - Indian J Psychiatry

(Sarcasm) guess athiests running out if excuses.

Some of the widely accepted mechanisms by which prayer is supposed to provide beneficial effect are, (1) health-related behavior (2) enhanced social support (3) stress-buffering (4) cognitive effects and, (5) the psychodynamics of faith
As this letter to the editor states, prayer is one big placebo effect.

Last edited:

The Wizard

Science has a universal aspect, but there are many religions. So, I would have to know which religion you're refferring to to answere the question properly.

That aside, we are where we are today in consciousness, technology, medicine, science and many other things due to other people's contributions, civilizations, and the societies before us. Those people had many beliefs in God, the gods and the divine. Therefore, many religions are a part of about everything that many assume were/is only created/discovered by scientific methods.

Religion itself cannot exactly be seperated so cut and dry from anything. As you see the wedge put between science and religion, as if they were completely independant and seperate of each other is an illusion (the errors of the duality mind). All of it blends together, eventually... IMO.

Both should be balanced with each other as with all things. You will discover that both can be good and bad, depending on the circumstance.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
Science has a universal aspect, but there are many religions. So, I would have to know which religion you're refferring to to answere the question properly.

That aside, we are where we are today in consciousness, technology, medicine, science and many other things due to other people's contributions, civilizations, and the societies before us. Those people had many beliefs in God, the gods and the divine. Therefore, many religions are a part of about everything that many assume were/is only created/discovered by scientific methods.

Religion itself cannot exactly be seperated so cut and dry from anything. As you see the wedge put between science and religion, as if they were completely independant and seperate of each other is an illusion (the errors of the duality mind). All of it blends together, eventually... IMO.

Both should be balanced with each other as with all things. You will discover that both can be good and bad, depending on the circumstance.

hey neighbor [auburn]

that may fly in a perfect world. in reality though it doesn not.

there is no room in science for religion in my opinion, well and scientist opinion.

if we used religion in education and science, we would stop advancing as we could easily say "well ole magic man did it" every time we get stumped.

if you follow some of the greatest minds from the past you can see where religion stopped them in there tracks due to not crossing ole magic mans lines.

look at the vid waitasec posted

look at christians, left to them there would be no biomechanics, evolution, and no work being done on abiogenesis because according to them we have all the answers.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Sorry having trouble accessing my old universities database on peer reviewed scholarly articles so I looked at PubMed. Of course you need password access.to obtain the whole article. So review the following:

An experimental study of the effects of distant, i... [Altern Ther Health Med. 1997] - PubMed result

Here is another.....if you're familiar with advanced statistics the results section is pretty interesting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10547166

So far other articles are focusing on alternatives in addition to prayer such as using herbs, variations of meditation etc. I will seek some other articles out.

Last edited:

The Wizard

So, what does an "honest scientist" think when he uses all his scientific tools, home, clothes, food, etc. and lives out his lifestyle around himself, when all of it has the fingerprints of countless people who have contributed to it in a countless number of ways- along with their beliefs and religions?

If you involve people you have to involve what makes up their lives also, which is a contributing factor (i.e. efforts, actions, attitudes, views, beliefs, etc) Does he still wish to think that beliefs in God do not play any part in his life?

Our life is not due to a non-religious person inventing and producing everything isolated in a cave in some mountain. Many religions have their value contributions and so does science for about everything you currently see around you and experience. It is not a this/that and only one side wins situation- in reality. As of all things, there is a good side and a bad side to everything.

Like I said, both have to be balanced in their application in life for many areas. Sometimes we need more than the other. Sometimes we need complete divorce, depending on the area in life and the situations. I was responding to the OP's question about the factors of "contribution or values."

I tell you what, if a scientist has no room for religion how about we just start taking away everything around that person that he/she owns and uses that was invented/created/caused by people with religions and beliefs in God. After all, he has no room for it.

Alot of the reason for this forum's creation is largely due to religions and beliefs in God. This is a religion education forum is it not? So, if you have no room for religion then what are you on here for? It has the effects and results of religion all over it.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
So, what does an "honest scientist" think when he uses all his scientific tools, home, clothes, food, etc. and lives out his lifestyle around himself, when all of it has the fingerprints of countless people who have contributed to it in a countless number of ways- along with their beliefs and religions?
snip...

I tell you what, if a scientist has no room for religion how about we just start taking away everything around that person that he/she owns and uses that was invented/created/caused by people with religions and beliefs in God. After all, he has no room for it.

:confused:
what has religion contributed?

The Wizard

guess you can't answer the question then...typical
:facepalm:

I'm sorry, but if you haven't linked "religion" and "beliefs of God" to some reasons why you're typing on a "RELIGION EDUCATION FORUM" then you have quite a journey ahead of you. I hope you're not "suspending critical thinking," as your quote states... IMO.

outhouse

Atheistically
I'm sorry, but if you haven't linked "religion" and "beliefs of God" to some reasons why you're typing on a "RELIGION EDUCATION FORUM" then you have quite a journey ahead of you. I hope you're not "suspending critical thinking," as your quote states... IMO.

you might not enjoy this forum with that attitude.

Historians, scholars, scientist, reverends to all walks of life post here.

There is a very healthy atheist section as well that is as much home here as anyone with religion.

now can you answer the question or not? remember your the one in a science thread

The Wizard

you might not enjoy this forum with that attitude.

Historians, scholars, scientist, reverends to all walks of life post here.

There is a very healthy atheist section as well that is as much home here as anyone with religion.

now can you answer the question or not? remember your the one in a science thread

I can't believe after all my posts I have to go any further. But, hey I'm bored anyway. I already answered this a few times and responded to the main OP topic. Do people not understand cause and effect in the real world these days?

Look at the title of this thread. Up above it says, "What contributes more- religion or science?" I've already answered that question reffering to both and balance.

But, someone is on a "RELIGION EDUCATION FORUM" asking "What has religion contributed." In what area of life? Hmmm... how about right here.

This thread would not exist if "religion" did not exist and contribute to part of its creation in the first place. Correct? Part of the reason this very thread title exists is due to religion existing. Right?

It's right there on the title. And on a "religion education forum" at that, lol. If religion did not exist we would not be having a conversation in the first place.

Look at all your thoughts and actions due to this very thread and conversation, which once again has the contribution of "religion and its effects" all over it.

It's called," cause and effect." It's a part of reality.

Last edited: