• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What contributes more - science or religion???

waitasec

Veteran Member
I can't believe after all my posts I have to go any further. But, hey I'm bored anyway. I already answered this a few times and responded to the main OP topic. Do people not understand cause and effect in the real world these days?

Look at the title of this thread. Up above it says, "What contributes more- religion or science?" I've already answered that question reffering to both and balance.

But, someone is on a "RELIGION EDUCATION FORUM" asking "What has religion contributed." In what area of life? Hmmm... how about right here.

This thread would not exist if "religion" did not exist and contribute to part of its creation in the first place. Correct? Part of the reason this very thread title exists is due to religion existing. Right?

It's right there on the title. And on a "religion education forum" at that, lol. If religion did not exist we would not be having a conversation in the first place.

Look at all your thoughts and actions due to this very thread and conversation, which once again has the contribution of "religion and its effects" all over it.

It's called," cause and effect." It's a part of reality.

i'm sorry, but what has religion contributed to this thread....?
haughtiness. thats all you've contributed.

you can do better than that...

Last edited:

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Sorry having trouble accessing my old universities database on peer reviewed scholarly articles so I looked at PubMed. Of course you need password access.to obtain the whole article. So review the following:

An experimental study of the effects of distant, i... [Altern Ther Health Med. 1997] - PubMed result

I find this part of the abstract interesting: " Improvement on all II measures was significantly related to subjects' conviction concerning whether they had been assigned to a control or an experimental group. Possible explanations include the placebo/faith effect, the time displaced effect, and extraneous prayer."

;)

Here is another.....if you're familiar with advanced statistics the results section is pretty interesting:

A randomized, controlled trial of the effects of r... [Arch Intern Med. 1999] - PubMed result

So far other articles are focusing on alternatives in addition to prayer such as using herbs, variations of meditation etc. I will seek some other articles out.

That is at least a somewhat interesting result, although they apparently did invent their own "scoring system" for evaluating patients (this does not invalidate the study, but it does call for closer inspection of their rating system). As the outcome summary states "There was no significant difference between groups using Byrd's hospital course score", while the introduction states that "...the Byrd study is the only published trial of intercessory prayer with clinically significant end points...".

The commentary also states that "Although there was a trend toward better outcomes in the prayer group using the Byrd score, the difference between groups was not statistically significant", which indicates that the results were within the expected statistical error-bar, meaning a variation you would expect anyway due to chance. On a positive note though it appears as if they have at least used the proper 'double-blind' methodology, something which is not always the case.

Thanks for the links though.
Interesting read. :)

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
So, what does an "honest scientist" think when he uses all his scientific tools, home, clothes, food, etc. and lives out his lifestyle around himself, when all of it has the fingerprints of countless people who have contributed to it in a countless number of ways- along with wearing pink t-shirts?

If you involve people you have to involve what makes up their lives also, which is a contributing factor (i.e. efforts, actions, attitudes, views, the wearing of pink t-shirts, etc) Does he still wish to think that wearing pink t-shirts do not play any part in his life?

Our life is not due to a non-pink t-shirt wearing person inventing and producing everything isolated in a cave in some mountain. Many people wearing pink t-shirts have their value contributions and so does science for about everything you currently see around you and experience.

Explain now to me why my edited version bears any less truth than your original statement.
Do you see how what you wrote is not really an argument at all?

chinu

chinu
Decided to start a new thread after reading some comments on a previous thread I started.

What do you consider contributes more to a society, science or religion?

Science contributes more for the society of people who use to spend life for the sake of their "Mind" and Religion contributes more for the society of people who use to spend life for the sake of their "Soul".

_/\_
Chinu

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Science contributes more for the society of people who use to spend life for the sake of their "Mind" and Religion contributes more for the society of people who use to spend life for the sake of their "Soul".

_/\_
Chinu

Now all you have to do is provide evidence that there is such a thing as the "soul". ;)

Know it all.

Shaman.
Alot of the reason for this forum's creation is largely due to religions and beliefs in God. This is a religion education forum is it not? So, if you have no room for religion then what are you on here for? It has the effects and results of religion all over it.
I say the reasons are in part because "Atheism" is just another form of a religion, and most Atheist are religious persons expressing their doubts and their lacking in faith.

It is pretentious to come onto a religious forum and then claim to be a devout Atheist.

:sad:

waitasec

Veteran Member
I say the reasons are in part because "Atheism" is just another form of a religion, and most Atheist are religious persons expressing their doubts and their lacking in faith.

It is pretentious to come onto a religious forum and then claim to be a devout Atheist.

hmmm, atheists expressing doubts. well thats to be expected due to the atheists skepticism. are you saying atheists demand an unjustified position of doubt as compared to a believer claiming an undue sense of importance for their belief?

waitasec

Veteran Member
I can't believe after all my posts I have to go any further. But, hey I'm bored anyway. I already answered this a few times and responded to the main OP topic. Do people not understand cause and effect in the real world these days?

Look at the title of this thread. Up above it says, "What contributes more- religion or science?" I've already answered that question reffering to both and balance.

But, someone is on a "RELIGION EDUCATION FORUM" asking "What has religion contributed." In what area of life? Hmmm... how about right here.

This thread would not exist if "religion" did not exist and contribute to part of its creation in the first place. Correct? Part of the reason this very thread title exists is due to religion existing. Right?

It's right there on the title. And on a "religion education forum" at that, lol. If religion did not exist we would not be having a conversation in the first place.

Look at all your thoughts and actions due to this very thread and conversation, which once again has the contribution of "religion and its effects" all over it.

It's called," cause and effect." It's a part of reality.

religion is the effect of an undue sense of importance....

your words/actions have only reinforced this claim.

now, what has religion contributed?

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon

What complete and utter hogwash... :facepalm:

Know it all.

Shaman.
hmmm, atheists expressing doubts. well thats to be expected due to the atheists skepticism. are you saying atheists demand an unjustified position of doubt as compared to a believer claiming an undue sense of importance for their belief?
Yes,

exactly,

and you put that very well.

:bow:

Noaidi

slow walker

Jeez, how often do we have to hear this 'atheism is a religion' stuff? Please, please, please look up the definition of atheism, Know It All (indeed, if you did in fact know it all, you wouldn't be posting inaccurate information).

Regarding our presence on a religious forum, well, the clue is in the site header: "Discuss, compare and debate religions in our online community". It's not a pre-requisite that one be religious to debate religion.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Jeez, how often do we have to hear this 'atheism is a religion' stuff? Please, please, please look up the definition of atheism, Know It All (indeed, if you did in fact know it all, you wouldn't be posting inaccurate information).

Regarding our presence on a religious forum, well, the clue is in the site header: "Discuss, compare and debate religions in our online community". It's not a pre-requisite that one be religious to debate religion.

well he did admit to an undue sense of importance because of his beliefs
:rolleyes:

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
@jarofthoughts

My point here wasn't to derail this thread and talk about prayer but rather, how religion and specifically engaging in typical religious activity (e.g. meditation, prayer) has its benefits to society. Although non-religious and/or atheists would say that such coping skills are equitable to them as well my point was to show the benefits of religion which in turn was to counter the aforementioned comment, "religion drags society down."

The placebo effect in prayer doesn't discount the religion itself, and I don't think religionist would argue otherwise, however I believe from my own experience and examinations prayer does offer some psychophysiological benefits. Again compare prayer to taking aspirin, the point is if you believe religion drags society down the proof is.in the research.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
@jarofthoughts

My point here wasn't to derail this thread and talk about prayer but rather, how religion and specifically engaging in typical religious activity (e.g. meditation, prayer) has its benefits to society. Although non-religious and/or atheists would say that such coping skills are equitable to them as well my point was to show the benefits of religion which in turn was to counter the aforementioned comment, "religion drags society down."

The placebo effect in prayer doesn't discount the religion itself, and I don't think religionist would argue otherwise, however I believe from my own experience and examinations prayer does offer some psychophysiological benefits. Again compare prayer to taking aspirin, the point is if you believe religion drags society down the proof is.in the research.

Well, I've never heard that taking an aspirin leads one to think that one is justified in stoning people to death, shooting abortion doctors, bash homosexuals or think that one is the reason the universe is here.

I think I prefer the aspirin.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Well, I've never heard that taking an aspirin leads one to think that one is justified in stoning people to death, shooting abortion doctors, bash homosexuals or think that one is the reason the universe is here.

:clap

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"

Well you and I are no scholar of any ancient text so I don't think with confidence we can say that the murder of people and discriminatory acts are mandated. What about Buddhist? What about Sikhs, Hindus, or Upanishads? If you are going to discount religion, don't discount all religion without adequately studying it (college courses in religious studies does count to make anyone an expert). For instance I study neuroscience and wouldn't make claims about it if I didn't know it and had an advance degree in it, as such acts especially making claims about something that is potentially misleading looks bad. I can't make claims about religion especially all religions if I am not familiar with their text. Simply looking at the news and watching acts of violence in the name if faith js not enough reason to paint all religions with one brush. The "devil made me do it" is not an excuse for acts if violence. Our courts if law cannot prosecute the devil, we prosecute the individual and I believe like courts of law we should take the same approach when someone commits acts if violence in the name of religion.