• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you feel is wrong with Christianity

twinmama

The mission work. No other group has ever destroyed so many cultures and other religions than christianity. The treatment of indigenous people around the world in it's cruelty can be put to genocideS section. And it still goes on, just more settled and hidden way.

richardlowellt

Christianity is the belief that jesus christ our savior died for us upon the cross. We believe what the bible says, and we believe god created all. We know that there is an afterlife in heaven and hell. Christianity nothing is wrong with it.

Wrong, Jesus DID NOT die on the cross, he cheated you and arose from the dead, thereby becoming NOT DEAD ANYMORE, get it!! Not much of a sacrifice!!!

And how do you know beyond doubt that there is a heaven and hell. Is it because you can't face the possibility of death being simply the end? A loving God would not condemn anyone to a hell, no more than you would torture your children for misbehaving. Any God that would condemn those who are not convinced of his existence is an demon God. Maybe if this mythical God showed himself every once in awhile, people would take him/she/it seriously.

Wookiemonster

The*****isBack
What in the world does this have to do with Christianity? This has to do with ancient, Hebraic social codes -- hundreds of years before Christianity was established...
What's wrong with the "what's wrong with Christianity" thread may very well be silly questions asked by Muslims in order to trap us into denouncing our own religion.

Considering Christian's use a poorly translated version our Tanakh I would say that the 613 Mitzvots have a great dea (or should) with your religion.

What about Genesis 3:16? Again, nothing to do with Christianity. Everything to do with ancient, Middle-Eastern myth.

Do you spend all your time perusing the Bible for passages that you believe to be unjust, so you can try to beat us over the head with it? Or do you spend some of your time trying to live up to your signature: "Reason with them in ways that are most gracious?"

See above.

Perhaps if you were to read the Bible without your "special" glasses...
God says "thou shalt not Kill."
Then orders the deaths of Women, children, men, livestocks, and in at least one case, the trees.

The nonsense is coming from you, not me.

Would you be so kind as to explain how setting up rules and regulation concerning the treatment, taking and setting free of slaves is NOT condoning slavery?

Let us not change the focus from all the rules to just the ones you feel comfortable with.
If all you are going to do is try to straw man, then don't bother.

And yet Christians tell us that God already knew this even before he came up with the original 613.
So either the Christian God set man up to fail, or the Christian God is not all knowing.

I agree.
The problem here is that Christians claim to be on the Moral High ground.
Yet they are the first ones to start throwing out the excuse "nobody is perfect" in one of its many forms. Usually followed by some form of "God forgives all sins"

God is Guilty of what God does.
Your refusal to let God take responsibility for His actions is problem you will have to deal with for yourself.

Just an FYI the origional Hebrew of Thou Shalt Not Kill actually says One Jew shall not murder (to take a life in cold blood) another Jew. All other's were fair game, so to speak.

What I never got is that if the God of the OT and the NT are different Gods, or that the law of the OT do not apply to Christian, then why keep them or have then in the first place?

They have no other way to give legitimicy to the man/g-d they call Jesus.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What do you feel is wrong with Christianity?
I hane a simple one-word answer ... Christians!

Amen!
Too few Christians act in accordance with Christ's teachings and principles. One can find some aberrant passages, of course, but the jist of the NT seems to be that God wants Christians to be Hippies.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Wrong, Jesus DID NOT die on the cross, he cheated you and arose from the dead, thereby becoming NOT DEAD ANYMORE, get it!! Not much of a sacrifice!!!
Do you have any idea how asinine the first sentence is?

Pray tell, how did someone who did not die rise from the dead?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Just an FYI the origional Hebrew of Thou Shalt Not Kill actually says One Jew shall not murder (to take a life in cold blood) another Jew. All other's were fair game, so to speak.
Thats it?

Seems you forgot to reply to the vast majority of my post....

As for the wee little reply you did present...
So not only is God vain and jealous, but he plays favourites...
So much for be all just, eh?

richardlowellt

Do you have any idea how asinine the first sentence is?

Pray tell, how did someone who did not die rise from the dead?

OK, how about this--Jesus died for our sins------Wrong, when someone dies, they stay dead, I had a friend who died and in doing so saved others, he STAYED DEAD, his was a real sacrifice. So the phrase should read like this---Jesus temporarily died for our sins, his sacrifice was only for a few days. And now the Christians feel they have order their life around someone who made little or no sacrifice at all.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
OK, how about this--Jesus died for our sins------Wrong, when someone dies, they stay dead, I had a friend who died and in doing so saved others, he STAYED DEAD, his was a real sacrifice.

So your whole argument is basically: "Jesus rose from the dead, thats not FAIR!"

So the phrase should read like this---Jesus temporarily died for our sins, his sacrifice was only for a few days. And now the Christians feel they have order their life around someone who made little or no sacrifice at all.
Why do you care why Christians feel they have to order there life around the death and resurrection of Jesus?

Especially given your "It's not fair" argument?

Wookiemonster

The*****isBack
Thats it?

Seems you forgot to reply to the vast majority of my post....

As for the wee little reply you did present...
So not only is God vain and jealous, but he plays favourites...
So much for be all just, eh?

Actually I didn't forget to reply to the majority of your post beucase I did not begin my reply with the intent of doing so. This one paticular line caught my attention so I replied to it specifically.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
The mission work. No other group has ever destroyed so many cultures and other religions than christianity. The treatment of indigenous people around the world in it's cruelty can be put to genocideS section. And it still goes on, just more settled and hidden way.

Totally agree

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Is it genocide to destroy a culture without killing its people? There may be a new thread in that....

Anyway, as detailed elsewhere, what I find most objectionable is the all too common (though not universal) teaching of human depravity.

Then there's the belief that only Christians go to Heaven.

The whole concept of eternal damnation.

richardlowellt

so your whole argument is basically: "jesus rose from the dead, thats not fair!"

the whole idea of jesus dying on the cross was to sacrifice himself for peoples sins, how is it a sacrifice if you rise up and continue your existence?

Why do you care why christians feel they have to order there life around the death and resurrection of jesus?

Especially given your "it's not fair" argument?

because they are always saying jesus died for your, meaning my, sins. I have no sins, religion should be kept to ones self.

twinmama

Is it genocide to destroy a culture without killing its people? There may be a new thread in that....

I'm sorry, english is not my native tongue so I will continue to make errors.:sorry1:

Yes, christian missionwork has killed cultures with it's people. Some cases culture/religion has been destroyed while people have been forced to abandone everything their own.Even their children have been taken away in the name of this "loving" god.

Some cases culture&people have just diminished by the constant oppression of church.

And it still goes on. Not so openly anymore and not violently but still destroying.

I wonder how christians feel about it and if they support their churches and missionworkers without feeling bad.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm sorry, english is not my native tongue so I will continue to make errors.:sorry1:
Oh, I wasn't harping on an error. I just thought it was an interesting question. No worries. :)

Yes, christian missionwork has killed cultures with it's people. Some cases culture/religion has been destroyed while people have been forced to abandone everything their own.Even their children have been taken away in the name of this "loving" god.

Some cases culture&people have just diminished by the constant oppression of church.
Yes, I know they have.

And it still goes on. Not so openly anymore and not violently but still destroying.

I wonder how christians feel about it and if they support their churches and missionworkers without feeling bad.
Well, while you have a point, it's important to know that not all missionaries are so destrcutive. Many provide vital services, and merely educate (if that much) about their religion.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Problem with Christianity?

Same problem as with most other religions: Spreading irrationality and speculation as though it is reasonable and factual.

Oh, and the fact that most christians don't seem to follow their own precepts.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Depends on what your definition of Christianity is.

Again ,not everyone who claims christian status are true Christians after the doctrine Jesus taught and the steps he walked.
86% of North America claim the christian status and that includes those who call themselves ,......../ christian.
I have'nt quite figured out what that means when someone puts something like wicca /christian as their title

So approximately what percentage of people who claim to be Christian really are, in your opinion?