• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if it was created by God to evolve?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There is evidence of a very large local flood thousands of years BC in that area.
There are also reasons why the Ark could have landed in the foothills of the Mountains of Ararat even if it started at a lower altitude.
There are also reasons why the flood might have taken so long to subside.

Yes, a very very local flood. It was only in the Tigris Euphrates valley system. It would not have accomplished what Noah's flood supposedly did.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
1Corinthians is said to have been written in the early to mid 50s AD and was being written to people who knew of and probably had heard the witnesses speak. That is pretty good historical hearsay writing when compared to other historical records of events that we have.
For those who do not use the presumption that prophecy is untrue to date the writing of the synoptics to post 70AD,,,,,,,,, those synoptics were probably written not long after the 1Corinthians Epistle and by people who were witnesses and who had heard from witnesses.
John's gospel was written post 70AD through the words of an old man who had been a witness.
No, it is attributed rather clearly to Paul. He was not an eyewitness. Nor was it written as if he spoke with any eyewitnesses.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
IMO my beliefs are not contrary to the claims in the Bible, just to the common translations of the Bible. Alternative legitimate translations can support a local flood imo.
Your beliefs are contrary to the flood story in the Bible, as written. The story doesn't' even begin to make sense unless it's a global flood. We've been over this. The last time I drew this to your attention you ran off.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The Epistles of Paul are hearsay, much earlier than when the gospels were written, and his audience knew the truth of what he wrote here, that Cephas (Peter) taught the resurrection of Jesus.
1 Corinthians 15:3-11 “For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, … that [Jesus] was raised, and that He appeared to Cephas (Peter) then to the twelve.” He adds: “Whether then it was I or they [Peter et al.], so we preach and so you believed.”
You just said these are hearsay accounts. Soooo.... not witnesses.

Peter and James and the other apostles are reported to be witnesses, which, as I said, the ones to whom he wrote, knew of and may have even heard talking about the resurrection.
More hearsay. Hearing about a thing means you didn't witness it.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
1Corinthians is said to have been written in the early to mid 50s AD and was being written to people who knew of and probably had heard the witnesses speak.
So ... not witnesses.
That is pretty good historical hearsay writing when compared to other historical records of events that we have.
Nah.
For those who do not use the presumption that prophecy is untrue
So, those who suspend rationality and reason ...
to date the writing of the synoptics to post 70AD
So ... not witneses.
,,,,,,,,, those synoptics were probably written not long after the 1Corinthians Epistle and by people who were witnesses and who had heard from witnesses.
John's gospel was written post 70AD through the words of an old man who had been a witness.
People who "heard from witnesses" aren't witnesses. Even Judge Judy would throw that hearsay right out of court.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Yes, a very very local flood. It was only in the Tigris Euphrates valley system. It would not have accomplished what Noah's flood supposedly did.

It is calculated to have been maybe 15,000 square miles.
What would have been accomplished is killing all the animals and people in the area.
That is what the story can be read to mean.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Your beliefs are contrary to the flood story in the Bible, as written. The story doesn't' even begin to make sense unless it's a global flood. We've been over this. The last time I drew this to your attention you ran off.

An alternative translation changes the meaning.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What would have been accomplished is killing all the animals and people in the area.
That would not have killed all the people that it was supposed to have killed. It would only have killed a very small percentage of the human population.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Peter's epistles and John's gospel and Matthew's gosel are not hearsay imo
But they are. The authors of both were classically trained in Koine Greek. Neither one of those were. They were simple people, not members of the upper class. It is extremely dubious that the apostle John would have even been alive when that Gospel was written. Even Matthew had a good chance of being dead 60 years after the crucifixion.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
That would not have killed all the people that it was supposed to have killed. It would only have killed a very small percentage of the human population.
oh oh now you got me curious. I do not agree that it was a local flood BUT -- now I wonder how you might figure it was a very small percentage of the human population. How many humans were populating the earth anyway at that time that the Bible has it?

Audie

Veteran Member
It can be read, is read to mean practically
anything.
The very definition of completely
worthless testimony.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
oh oh now you got me curious. I do not agree that it was a local flood BUT -- now I wonder how you might figure it was a very small percentage of the human population. How many humans were populating the earth anyway at that time that the Bible has it?
60 to 70 million people. All around the world. We never had such an extreme event happen to the human population:

Brian2

Veteran Member

That is fine, maybe God wanted just that. "All" in other parts of the OT does not mean absolutely "all".
Another alternative is that floods happened all over the world at the same time and wiped out most of humanity.

Brian2

Veteran Member
But they are. The authors of both were classically trained in Koine Greek. Neither one of those were. They were simple people, not members of the upper class. It is extremely dubious that the apostle John would have even been alive when that Gospel was written. Even Matthew had a good chance of being dead 60 years after the crucifixion.

We don't know that they did not have someone to write down what they said. iow that is no problem.
And what is 60 years after the crucifixion all about unless you want to date the gospels after 70AD on the presumption that they are not true. Without that presumption Matthew was written maybe 20-30 years after the resurrection.