• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if we accepted each other's religion?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Yes they might be deranged and yet they might also really be the Promised One so it is up to people to investigate the matter with an open and unbiased mind.

You are again skirting the issue. - Any deranged idiot can claim to be a Promised One!

As such, we have no reason to accept yours, - for instance, - just because you have some nice writings.

Such is common sense, - not bias.

We can also look at the track records of the religions you do accept, - and see that they have horrible human rights histories.

Why would we align ourselves with these religions that have such a strong, and patriarchal, need to become in control of the religions of ALL?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
We don't believe in our own interpretation. We believe in the interpretation of a Manifestation of God. We all refer to Baha'u'llah's Books namely the Book of Certitude. Very deep but it unravels the mysteries of the Holy Books and clears up misinterpretations. People can have their views but for instance Buddha would know everything about Buddhism so if one could would you believe the interpretation of Buddha or a follower? So we turn to Baha'u'llah Who we believe is the Promised One.

But the point is - you can't prove Baha'u'llah is a Manifestation of God.

YOU believe he is such.

Thus, what he said, - might sound nice, but is in reality no different then the un-provable religious claims of other religions.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
The Cause of women is exalted in this Revelation.

“His Holiness Bahá'u'lláh has greatly strengthened the cause of women, and the rights and privileges of women is one of the greatest principles of 'Abdu'l-Bahá. Rest ye assured! Ere long the days shall come when the men addressing the women, shall say: 'Blessed are ye! Blessed are ye! Verily ye are worthy of every gift. Verily ye deserve to adorn your heads with the crown of everlasting glory, because in sciences and arts, in virtues and perfections ye shall become equal to man, and as regards tenderness of heart and the abundance of mercy and sympathy ye are superior'.”

Excerpt From: Bahá, Abdu’l. “Paris Talks.”

I am well aware of what was said of women. - I have read the books. And noted many good things.

However - that ideal of equality - is not actually carried out, as no women can hold the highest Baha'i office.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
We don't believe in our own interpretation. We believe in the interpretation of a Manifestation of God. We all refer to Baha'u'llah's Books namely the Book of Certitude. Very deep but it unravels the mysteries of the Holy Books and clears up misinterpretations. People can have their views but for instance Buddha would know everything about Buddhism so if one could would you believe the interpretation of Buddha or a follower? So we turn to Baha'u'llah Who we believe is the Promised One.

Im not understanding your religion. How can you believe every messanger is a manafestation of god when from that religions' point of view not your own most religions contradict each other ether on belief, interpretation, source, and/or message?

How can you bypass what the actual believers tell you about themselves in favor for what your messanger tells you about them?

Then use the believers' holy text, scriptures, and religious writings to back up a religion that didnt exist when those religions where founded?

How can you use their holy text to support your faith if you do not follow what they believe and dont know it personally?

If you do know it personally, how do you reconcile that Christ IS god and most other god-faiths in the abrahamic world, no one is the Creator?

Even more so, how can you reconcile that more than one god comes from one god? (Cant displace Paganism here if Bahai believe in all religious messangers and messages).

How can you say that any of these followers are incorrect about their own faith when Bahaullah is not them nor am I and nor are you?

Sorry.

I hear many religious claims. Hearing that all religious messangers are manefistation from one Creator is calling half the people without god-oriented religions, liers.

Its not just your belief but all Abrahamic beliefs I know of have this mentality for good or for worse. I never understood it.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

I did want to respond to the claim by Ingledsva above that the Baha'i faith is a "patriarchal" religion. True the Manifestations of God have been "male" for the most part and you will find the station of women diminished in earlier dispensations however I would remind that principle of the equality of women and men is stressed and that in terms of family life males do not have the traditional partriarchal role. In the family women have an role equal to the men..

And among the teachings of His Holiness Bahá'u'lláh is the equality of women and men. The world of humanity has two wings -- one is women and the other men. Not until both wings are equally developed can the bird fly. Should one wing remain weak, flight is impossible. Not until the world of women becomes equal to the world of men in the acquisition of virtues and perfections, can success and prosperity be attained as they ought to be.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 288)

Also there are no priests or Mullahs among Baha'i communities.

Moojan Momen writes that the goal of achieving equality of women and men in the Bahá'í Faith does not amount to bringing women into power in masculine roles, but instead a more radical change to the very nature of society, to make feminine qualities more valued

Women cannot hold office in the Universal House of Justice.

Bahaullah's directives,- every inheritance must be divided into 2520 parts and distributed to the heirs according to the inheritance law through which fathers receive more than mothers, brothers more than sisters, and if the deceased owned personal residence or properties, such will pass to male heirs only, leaving the female heirs dependent on them for a roof over their head.

According to Bahai Men Are The 'Head of The Family.

If you actually carefully read the texts, - they want women's roles - to be considered more equal to men's roles, - while still keeping patriarchy in place, - with men at the top in household, and religion.

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

Here's the prophecy. Read it carefully.

And the Blessed One replied: "I am not the first Buddha who came upon earth, nor shall I be the last. In due time another Buddha will arise in the world, a Holy One, a supremely enlightened One, endowed with wisdom in conduct, auspicious, knowing the universe, an incomparable leader of men, a master of angels and mortals. He will reveal to you the same eternal truths which I have taught you. He will preach his religion, glorious in its origin, glorious at the climax, and glorious at the goal, in the spirit and in the letter. He will proclaim a religious life, wholly perfect and pure; such as I now proclaim." Gospel of Buddha)

"He will preach His Religion...... He will bring another religion. What religion? We believe it is the Baha'i Faith and Baha'i teaches there is a God. So our belief is that the religion that Buddha us prophesying is the Baha'i Faith which teaches that there is one God.

Another interesting thing is AmitAbha Buddha. Buddha referred to Him. Abha is a derivative of Baha which is Baha'u'llah's Name.

Buddha predicted His religion would last 5,000 years but if women became monks it would last 2,500 which time has past.

Aiviu

As a Baha'i I find accepting others religions to be not only workable but creates unity and friendship and peace between us. We accept the Prophet, Messenger or Messiah and His Holy Book and all humanity as a family and it works.

We accept everything except the man made dogmas and interpretations - only the religion in its purest form. Those who want peace will find in this message a great hope for humanity.

This is a call to peace and love and unity!

If i talk with someone else i talk with them as a human. I see no sign over their heads which says what they believe in. Even if i slowly understand in which religion they are into. I do not mind. I classify them as a sub-object of their own religion.

Religion recites inside. This is the place where one has to grow himself up and not others. And that as long as he hasnt completely grown out for the sake of others.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Im not understanding your religion. How can you believe every messanger is a manafestation of god when from that religions' point of view not your own most religions contradict each other ether on belief, interpretation, source, and/or message?

How can you bypass what the actual believers tell you about themselves in favor for what your messanger tells you about them?

Then use the believers' holy text, scriptures, and religious writings to back up a religion that didnt exist when those religions where founded?

How can you use their holy text to support your faith if you do not follow what they believe and dont know it personally?

If you do know it personally, how do you reconcile that Christ IS god and most other god-faiths in the abrahamic world, no one is the Creator?

Even more so, how can you reconcile that more than one god comes from one god? (Cant displace Paganism here if Bahai believe in all religious messangers and messages).

How can you say that any of these followers are incorrect about their own faith when Bahaullah is not them nor am I and nor are you?

Sorry.

I hear many religious claims. Hearing that all religious messangers are manefistation from one Creator is calling half the people without god-oriented religions, liers.

Its not just your belief but all Abrahamic beliefs I know of have this mentality for good or for worse. I never understood it.

All the religions believe in fundamentally the same spiritual truths and virtues such as love, compassion, justice mercy etc. ok?

They only differ in the social laws which are changed /adjusted with each subsequent Manifestation. With Christ it was love thy neighbour, Muhammad was love your country as His religion founded the Ummah or nation state, now Baha'u'llah says to love all humanity. Where's the contradiction? Each Manifestation has been expanding His teachings as mankind has matured. The Quran enforces Jihad for self defense, Baha'u'llah, aware of nuclear power abolished holy war.

There is no contradiction whatsoever only adaptation to the age man is living in. As man advances he receives more advanced laws and teachings for his age.

Like in a school. Once we were in kindergarten and abc was essential but now we must produce thesis but without a learning of abc we could not do that. The Manifestations all complement each other perfectly.

Buddha taught mindfulness, meditation, detachment, Krishna taught that we are not our body but spirit and soul, Christ taught love, Baha'u'llah teaches unity. We need all these qualities. They are all part of our universal education.

We see wholesomeness and continuity you see division and separation because people have become separated from reality not realising its oneness. So they see conflict, division and exclusivity instead of harmony and unity. All the Manifestations taught truth, why should we accept only Buddha's truth or only Christ's truth or only Muhammad's truth? Why don't we accept all truth? What are we frightened of? Accepting all truth including science opens doors and new worlds and sets our spirits free. To just chain ourselves to one truth and condemn all other truths as invalid means we deprive ourselves of all these other truths and that we hold just one flower in our hands instead of a garden full of flowers.

There's nothing to be gained by exclusivity. People have fought wars for centuries over power. What did they gain? We are one human race and one planet and we can all unity if we accept all truth.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
All the religions believe in fundamentally the same spiritual truths and virtues such as love, compassion, justice mercy etc. ok?

They only differ in the social laws which are changed /adjusted with each subsequent Manifestation. With Christ it was love thy neighbour, Muhammad was love your country as His religion founded the Ummah or nation state, now Baha'u'llah says to love all humanity. Where's the contradiction? Each Manifestation has been expanding His teachings as mankind has matured. The Quran enforces Jihad for self defense, Baha'u'llah, aware of nuclear power abolished holy war.

There is no contradiction whatsoever only adaptation to the age man is living in. As man advances he receives more advanced laws and teachings for his age.

Like in a school. Once we were in kindergarten and abc was essential but now we must produce thesis but without a learning of abc we could not do that. The Manifestations all complement each other perfectly.

Buddha taught mindfulness, meditation, detachment, Krishna taught that we are not our body but spirit and soul, Christ taught love, Baha'u'llah teaches unity. We need all these qualities. They are all part of our universal education.

We see wholesomeness and continuity you see division and separation because people have become separated from reality not realising its oneness. So they see conflict, division and exclusivity instead of harmony and unity. All the Manifestations taught truth, why should we accept only Buddha's truth or only Christ's truth or only Muhammad's truth? Why don't we accept all truth? What are we frightened of? Accepting all truth including science opens doors and new worlds and sets our spirits free. To just chain ourselves to one truth and condemn all other truths as invalid means we deprive ourselves of all these other truths and that we hold just one flower in our hands instead of a garden full of flowers.

There's nothing to be gained by exclusivity. People have fought wars for centuries over power. What did they gain? We are one human race and one planet and we can all unite if we accept all truth.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Here's the prophecy. Read it carefully.

And the Blessed One replied: "I am not the first Buddha who came upon earth, nor shall I be the last. In due time another Buddha will arise in the world, a Holy One, a supremely enlightened One, endowed with wisdom in conduct, auspicious, knowing the universe, an incomparable leader of men, a master of angels and mortals. He will reveal to you the same eternal truths which I have taught you. He will preach his religion, glorious in its origin, glorious at the climax, and glorious at the goal, in the spirit and in the letter. He will proclaim a religious life, wholly perfect and pure; such as I now proclaim." Gospel of Buddha)

"He will preach His Religion...... He will bring another religion. What religion? We believe it is the Baha'i Faith and Baha'i teaches there is a God. So our belief is that the religion that Buddha us prophesying is the Baha'i Faith which teaches that there is one God.

Another interesting thing is AmitAbha Buddha. Buddha referred to Him. Abha is a derivative of Baha which is Baha'u'llah's Name.

Buddha predicted His religion would last 5,000 years but if women became monks it would last 2,500 which time has past.

You left out these parts - which show it is not Baha'u'llah.

Ananda said: "How shall we know him?" The Blessed One said: "He will be known as Metteyya, which means 'he whose name is kindness.'"

"The Anāgatavamsa (J.P.T.S.1886, pp.42, 46ff., 52; DhSA.415 gives the names of his parents) gives further particulars. Metteyya will be born in a very eminent brahmin family and his personal name will be Ajita."

"According to the Cakkavatti Sīhanāda Sutta, he will be born, when human beings will live to an age of eighty thousand years, in the city of Ketumatī (present Benares), whose king will be the Cakkavattī Sankha. Sankha will live in the fairy palace where once dwelt King Mahāpanadā, but later he will give the palace away and will himself become a follower of Metteyya Buddha (D.iii.75ff)."

http://what-buddha-said.net/library/DPPN/me_mu/metteyya.htm

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The culture of each religion is not just an adaption of that said religion's practice, it is part of the religion.

Love, compassion, and kindness are abstract words. Atheist possess the same as any religious believer that advocates these traits.

However, the religious belief systems are not based soley on these traits. If that be the case, I could be any religion I want just because I like it and want compassion. These traits are shaped and founded on different people, different sources, different goals, time, and culture. The religions dont overlap.

For example, Catholicism does not deny anyone else can have love, compassion, etc within their own faiths. So Bahai and Catholics agree on that.

But without the sacraments of the Church which Bahai cant participate in, he is just like any other person who may respect the church or even be spiritually connected with it but youre not in unity until you take the sacraments.

The Church says

The only way to have the grace and compassion from Their creator (Christ) not Muslim not Bahai.

They both believe in a creator
Both believe in love, unity, etc
Both believe in community and faith

That is completely different than saying another religions morals that is Based On the sacraments (cant exist without it) is part of your faith when the Bahai faith doesnt have Catholic sacraments nor, like Lutheran and Episcapalian have sacraments that mirror that of Othorodox and Roman Catholicism.

Its not separation. Its saying we are different. You can overlap abstract words but each religion has a different source for those traits.

Ask a Catholic if you can experience the same love for Christ without the Church as he does with it?

He wont deny that you dont feel love, but he and many religions know the love he has is different than you have because you are not part of the church.

Its a basic concept. Why doesnt the Bahai religion (how you present it) see that?

What the Bahai religion seems like its doing is screading the cultural and community parts of the religion, throwing away half the ideologies, for abstract overlaping concepts like love and honesty.

Its not that Bahai doesnt share these abstract things. Thats in most religions. Its the shell and foundation to which those traits are built that differ.

Bahaullah isnt god yet christ is. Muhammad is the last messanger while the Jews are still waiting for the Messiah. The Buddha is here in the Dharma in the suttras yet different Buddhas will come in his name also in the suttas.

Any religion can value the messages behind this faith. None can take up the faith ifnit contradicts their own. I dont see how that is done. Big example. Belief in multiple gods and one god at the same time. How does a Bahai reconcile that?

They only differ in the social laws which are changed adjusted with each subsequent Manifestation. With Christ it was love thy neighbour, Muhammad was love your country as His religion founded the Ummah or nation state, now Baha'u'llah says to love all humanity. Where's the contradiction? Each Manifestation has been expanding His teachings as mankind has matured. The Quran enforces Jihad for self defense, Baha'u'llah, aware of nuclear power abolished holy war.

There's nothing to be gained by exclusivity. People have fought wars for centuries over power. What did they gain? We are one human race and one planet and we can all unity if we accept all truth.

It is alright to have unity with abstract things like peace and love.

The fact that a Christ says you can only get that through Christ (external means)

And

A Buddhist says you can only get that through self (internal means)

Causes confliction.

Instead of a religion adapting other religions into their faith like eclecticsm, respect the way that religion finds peace, find peace in Bahallullah teachings, and be mindful that it isnt about you it about others.

To find peace is to find a common thread, and not just abstract words like love and peace, but deeds and practice among diversity.

And that wont be Christ, Muhammad, nor Bahaullah.

I dont see how we can find peace if we claim our teacher, guide, god, gods, etc are the only way to see life and obtain peace on earth or heaven.

Last edited:

arthra

Baha'i
There seems to be to much acrimony on this thread..
Bahaullah isnt god yet christ is. Muhammad is the last messanger while the Jews are still waiting for the Messiah. The Buddha is here in the Dharma in the suttras yet different Buddhas will come in his name also in the suttas.

Any religion can value the messages behind this faith. None can take up the faith ifnit contradicts their own. I dont see how that is done. Big example. Belief in multiple gods and one god at the same time. How does a Bahai reconcile that?

I think each religion Carlita has aspects in common... Multiple "gods" can be taken as "attributes" of one God. Look deeply into ancient Egyptian religion or in Hinduism where in one aspect people see a "god" can also be seen as an attribute.

Also, consider that when representatives of the various religions actually meet in conferences such as the Parliament of World Religions they find they have much in common.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So other religions (the ones you acknowledge, anyway) are just childish, less sophisticated versions of your religion? Their purpose is to pave the way for your religion?

arthra

Baha'i
Women cannot hold office in the Universal House of Justice.

Bahaullah's directives,- every inheritance must be divided into 2520 parts and distributed to the heirs according to the inheritance law through which fathers receive more than mothers, brothers more than sisters, and if the deceased owned personal residence or properties, such will pass to male heirs only, leaving the female heirs dependent on them for a roof over their head.

According to Bahai Men Are The 'Head of The Family.

Ingledsva,

I'm a Baha'i man and have a family .. for forty some years now. My wife and I consult on our decisions. Her decisions are valued as much as my own. I know other Baha'i families that have the same values.

As to inheritances...the model only applies if you do NOT leave a Will. Every Baha'i is supposed to leave a Will ... if they do not there is a pattern which can be applied. I couldn't calculate how many attorney fees can be saved in this case but it would likely be astronomical. Finally this aspect of inheritances has yet to be applied. It's for a future Baha'i society and the manner it will be applied has yet to be decided.

As to the Universal House of Justice you are correct that women do not serve on that body. But this does not mean the institution favors men over women. Find one statement or issue where the House has favored men over women.

After the passing of Abdul-Baha in 1921 His sister Bahiyyih Khanum assumed a defacto role as basically the administrative head of the Faith until Shoghi Effendi could assume his duties..Read more at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahiyyih_Khánum#Headship

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
As to the Universal House of Justice you are correct that women do not serve on that body. But this does not mean the institution favors men over women. Find one statement or issue where the House has favored men over women.
That's kind of missing the point.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
You left out these parts - which show it is not Baha'u'llah.

Ananda said: "How shall we know him?" The Blessed One said: "He will be known as Metteyya, which means 'he whose name is kindness.'"

"The Anāgatavamsa (J.P.T.S.1886, pp.42, 46ff., 52; DhSA.415 gives the names of his parents) gives further particulars. Metteyya will be born in a very eminent brahmin family and his personal name will be Ajita."

"According to the Cakkavatti Sīhanāda Sutta, he will be born, when human beings will live to an age of eighty thousand years, in the city of Ketumatī (present Benares), whose king will be the Cakkavattī Sankha. Sankha will live in the fairy palace where once dwelt King Mahāpanadā, but later he will give the palace away and will himself become a follower of Metteyya Buddha (D.iii.75ff)."

http://what-buddha-said.net/library/DPPN/me_mu/metteyya.htm

The Holy Books speak not only literally but symbolically. This is where many cannot decipher which are literal and which are symbolical. Baha'u'llah was the manifestation of kindness and if you read history you will find He was known as the Father of the Poor. He was also descended from the Zoroastrian Kings and was born into one of the most prominent families of Persia at that time.

"“There are prophecies concerning this Manifestation in the Buddhistic books, but they are in symbols and metaphors, and some spiritual conditions are mentioned therein, but the leaders of religion do not understand. They think these prophecies are material things; yet those signs are foreshadowing spiritual occurances.”

Excerpt From: Bahá, Abdu’l. “Tablets of ‘Abdu’l-Baha

arthra

Baha'i
So other religions (the ones you acknowledge, anyway) are just childish, less sophisticated versions of your religion? Their purpose is to pave the way for your religion?

I don't think anyone used the term "childish" ...that may be an oversimplification.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member

No. They are all part of the same religion except they have fragmented themselves from the whole. The religion of God accepts all His Messengers and all truth and all Holy Books and does not segment itself into differing and conflicting fragments. Men have done that. Truth is one and does not contradict itself. Each religion only accepts its own religion but all of them are true.

What harm is there in accepting all truth? Division has not made the world any better. Claiming this or that religion is the only way has achieved nothing except wars. Accepting the truth of all religions is a better way forward for humanity. What keeps us is only man made interpretations and theories but these religions all taught truth.

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
The culture of each religion is not just an adaption of that said religion's practice, it is part of the religion.

Love, compassion, and kindness are abstract words. Atheist possess the same as any religious believer that advocates these traits.

However, the religious belief systems are not based soley on these traits. If that be the case, I could be any religion I want just because I like it and want compassion. These traits are shaped and founded on different people, different sources, different goals, time, and culture. The religions dont overlap.

For example, Catholicism does not deny anyone else can have love, compassion, etc within their own faiths. So Bahai and Catholics agree on that.

But without the sacraments of the Church which Bahai cant participate in, he is just like any other person who may respect the church or even be spiritually connected with it but youre not in unity until you take the sacraments.

The Church says

The only way to have the grace and compassion from Their creator (Christ) not Muslim not Bahai.

They both believe in a creator
Both believe in love, unity, etc
Both believe in community and faith

That is completely different than saying another religions morals that is Based On the sacraments (cant exist without it) is part of your faith when the Bahai faith doesnt have Catholic sacraments nor, like Lutheran and Episcapalian have sacraments that mirror that of Othorodox and Roman Catholicism.

Its not separation. Its saying we are different. You can overlap abstract words but each religion has a different source for those traits.

Ask a Catholic if you can experience the same love for Christ without the Church as he does with it?

He wont deny that you dont feel love, but he and many religions know the love he has is different than you have because you are not part of the church.

Its a basic concept. Why doesnt the Bahai religion (how you present it) see that?

What the Bahai religion seems like its doing is screading the cultural and community parts of the religion, throwing away half the ideologies, for abstract overlaping concepts like love and honesty.

Its not that Bahai doesnt share these abstract things. Thats in most religions. Its the shell and foundation to which those traits are built that differ.

It is alright to have unity with abstract things like peace and love.

The fact that a Christ says you can only get that through Christ (external means)

And

A Buddhist says you can only get that through self (internal means)

Causes confliction.

Instead of a religion adapting other religions into their faith like eclecticsm, respect the way that religion finds peace, find peace in Bahallullah teachings, and be mindful that it isnt about you it about others.

To find peace is to find a common thread, and not just abstract words like love and peace, but deeds and practice among diversity.

And that wont be Christ, Muhammad, nor Bahaullah.

I dont see how we can find peace if we claim our teacher, guide, god, gods, etc are the only way to see life and obtain peace on earth or heaven.

If we accept the truth in all of them then we can have peace.