• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Islamophobia?

Is Islamophobia a meaningful term?

• Yes, it refers to anti-Muslim animus

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Yes, it refers to criticism of Islam

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • No, it refers to criticism of Islam

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • No, it is a politicized term that is too broad or vague

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Christians who are taught to turn the other cheek still think violence is the answer in many instances. Many of America's most ardent Christians are the ones most pushing for more military in the Middle East.

Do you honestly see the current forms of Islam and Christianity as comparable? Can you imagine a whole self-declared "Christian Nation" releasing videos of punishment of unbelievers, for instance?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
nazz and MagicMan -

Most of the world's Muslims live in a long, geographic band that stretches from Western Africa, through to Eastern Africa, into and throughout the ME, into SW Asia, and then, taking a jump over to SE Asia. This large area encompasses many countries, many cultures, and many societies.

The common thread is Islam. lslam, once again, is a set of ideas. As it happens, Islamic scripture calls for apostasy to be a crime. It calls for intolerance towards non-believers, misogyny, and homophobia. The list goes on.

As it also happens, across these many geographical regions and societies and cultures, a significant percentage of Muslims also happen to believe in exactly the same ideas described in the scripture. Not a majority, but perhaps 500 million.

Are you saying that this is a coincidence? Are you saying that because it's not a strict majority we can't make Islamic ideas culpable?

It strikes me that your contentions are that beliefs are not related to behaviors... is that your claim?

I'm saying that unless it's at least a large majority, saying "Muslims" or "Islam" isn't accurate. It's true that a sizable group of Muslims believe in death to apostates, but a sizable group also doesn't . The interesting par is that if you look at the poll, a lot of the same countries that have high support for death to apostates also have high support for freedom of religion. That indicates there's a little more nuance to the issue.

You can and should challenge these bad ideas that some Muslims have. Just don't imply all of Islam of Muslims are responsible.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Then you are taking it too far. There is certainly such a thing as a set of ideas that is typical of Islam, and even one that is necessary to define it in a way that is at all meaningful.

Yes, there are times you can say "Islam teaches", but they are much more limited than what a lot of people think.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Do you honestly see the current forms of Islam and Christianity as comparable? Can you imagine a whole self-declared "Christian Nation" releasing videos of punishment of unbelievers, for instance?

This is another place the confusion comes in. There are Christian groups not that different from ISIS, even if they're not on the same organized level. There is the Lord's Resistance Army and Kony, and there are cases like this:

Tens of thousands of Muslims flee Christian militias in Central African Republic - The Washington Post

It's no coincidence most or all of this activity is happening in the Middle East and Arica. The implication is that it's not about religion, but about culture and economic status, with religion as an easy dividing force.

You just hear more about the Muslim extremists because they are trying to **** off the west, and it makes for a better story. And honestly, there's probably more of it, but it's far from exclusive to them.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hi, Magic Man.

You recently asked

Why do I need to know a complex and difficult answer in order to rule out an easy one?

Fair question. But this exchange goes back a fair while, so allow me to quote a few posts that (I hope) will prove useful in reminding us all of what is the subject matter exactly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #98
Islamophobia is irrational fear or criticism of Islam/Muslims. As with racism, it can be extreme, as some of the examples posted in this thread are, or it can be more subtle. There is legitimate criticism to be made regarding Islam and Muslims, but a lot of the current criticism goes well beyond. Overgeneralizations lead to things like opposition to the "Ground-Zero mosque" and attacks on regular mosques and Muslims in the west. Saying things like "Islam is violent" and "Muslims support death to apostates" are examples of this, and represent Islamophobia.

Post #164
That doesn't follow. We're talking about stuff that is only supported by a minority, or at best a small majority.

Post #177
Whether or not that's true, it's still inaccurate to say Muslims or the Muslims world support those things.

Post #183
Hahaha. Okie dokie. What do you attribute these things to? That might be helpful.

Post #187
One thing I don't attribute them to is hundreds of millions of people who aren't guilty of them.

Post #199
Why do I need to know a complex and difficult answer in order to rule out an easy one?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your question in #199 is a very good one, among other reasons because it is one we have been trying to address as well. Why do we have to keep hoping for the existence of complex and difficult answers when it is so explicit in the Quraan and in the behavior and statements of Muslims both that the reality is far simpler?

The statements about punishing apostasy and unbelievers who refuse to convert (or pay a specific tax) while living under a Muslim rule are of clear enough existence. All the controversy is about whether and how they apply and should be interpreted, if at all.

The simple answer would be that it is because Islam is exactly what it appears to be: a religion of supremacism that has bits and pieces of incongruous appeals to fairness and respect to differences of opinion.

Yet there are many who see the choice to accept such a simple answer as "Islamophobic", and to the best of my understanding that is as well-meaning as it is ultimately misguided.

While I sure do hope for Muslims to reject their own legacy of supremacism (which is hard-coded in the Quraan itself, unfortunately) it is still true that it is a very rare and unusual Muslim who does not insist that the authority of the Quraan is supreme and that it is not really his place to propose that some parts should be disregarded as no longer adequate. To the extent that Muslims allow themselves such an attitude, it is only by way of recourse to scholars of some sort of another that end up being all too easy to disregard.

A very similar situation exists in Christianity and even in Judaism, of course. But that only underscores how notable it is that so many violent acts end up claiming Islamic guidance. That is all the evidence I personally need for the existence of a sore lack of appropriate, badly-needed mechanisms of internal questioning and renewal of doctrine in the Muslim World. To a degree (perhaps an unworkable degree) that may be actually unsolvable, because the Quraan does promise itself to be unchangeable, infalible, and assurance enough of means to reach harmony with God's Will.

Maybe the way I am perceiving those things is still too innacurate. But if it is, then surely a better argument should be presented than just variations of "most Muslims know better".

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes, there are times you can say "Islam teaches", but they are much more limited than what a lot of people think.

Would you have some examples of common, preferably significant misconceptions about what Islam teaches or falls short of?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This is another place the confusion comes in. There are Christian groups not that different from ISIS, even if they're not on the same organized level. There is the Lord's Resistance Army and Kony, and there are cases like this:

Tens of thousands of Muslims flee Christian militias in Central African Republic - The Washington Post

It's no coincidence most or all of this activity is happening in the Middle East and Arica. The implication is that it's not about religion, but about culture and economic status, with religion as an easy dividing force.

More accurately, the implications seems to be that violent conflict rarely arises without cultural and economical motivators, and that I agree with. Religion is still however a significant factor, and it is all too legitimate to question the validity of its ideas and the safety of those who deal with believers.

You just hear more about the Muslim extremists because they are trying to **** off the west, and it makes for a better story.

And because they make more of a point of being visible, what with the distribution of videos of their own accord and the appeals for people of other nations to support them for the glory of Allah.

That, and there are simply so many more of them, and so better accepted by their social and religious environments.

And honestly, there's probably more of it, but it's far from exclusive to them.

No one is claiming that it is exclusive, though. We are claiming worry about the apparent lack of perspective for correcting the situation. And. yes. that the situations are not quite comparable, among other reasons because ISIS' growth seems to be a lot more worrisome than that of the groups you mention here.

Quite simply, they are not likely to receive any significant foreign support or adherents, nor are claims that they must by lying about being Christian likely to arise.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Your question in #199 is a very good one, among other reasons because it is one we have been trying to address as well. Why do we have to keep hoping for the existence of complex and difficult answers when it is so explicit in the Quraan and in the behavior and statements of Muslims both that the reality is far simpler?

We don't have to keep hoping for difficult answers. The answers are difficult. That's the fact of the matter. You can go with the simple "Islam sucks" answer, but that's not going to address the real problem. The real problem is things like poverty, education and general culture. That's why you see so much of this in these particular regions and not much anywhere else.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
We don't have to keep hoping for difficult answers. The answers are difficult. That's the fact of the matter. You can go with the simple "Islam sucks" answer, but that's not going to address the real problem. The real problem is things like poverty, education and general culture. That's why you see so much of this in these particular regions and not much anywhere else.
Which goes right back to the religion itself, as Muslims are told that they are the rightful rulers of the world under Allah. Given how far they have fallen, the motivations to correct this go well beyond the political and socioeconomic. The real question is should we help them to achieve economic stability in order for them to expand the influence of the supremacist replacement theology?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

That is part of it. Another part, although I can tell that you and nazz just don't want to accept it, is that Islam is purposefully built as receptive to fanaticism.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Here you're generalizing, and for my money it's an important, meaningful generalization. Look at the list of Muslim majority countries. With a few exceptions (mostly having to do with winning the natural resources lottery), these countries are far behind economically and educationally. Is this just another coincidence? Or could it be that if you're brought up indoctrinated with intolerance towards most of the people on the planet, including the females in your own society, you tend not to flourish?

Please remember, these countries span a large range of climates and cultures.

And finally, speaking personally, all of this evidence makes me hate Islam, because I have empathy for the hundreds of millions of people born into this misogynistic, totalitarian ideology.

Magic man and nazz,

When you read the Quran, did you not find it to be the way I'm characterizing it?

Last edited:

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Then you are taking it too far. There is certainly such a thing as a set of ideas that is typical of Islam, and even one that is necessary to define it in a way that is at all meaningful.
Then the way to phrase that would be "most Muslims believe..."

icehorse

Premium Member
No, I don't.

Ok, so for example, you're saying that as you read the Quran, you didn't find it to be misogynistic? Wow, I sure did! I absolutely would not want my daughters to have to live under Sharia.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Ok, so for example, you're saying that as you read the Quran, you didn't find it to be misogynistic? Wow, I sure did! I absolutely would not want my daughters to have to live under Sharia.
For the time period it was quite advanced in its attitude towards women.

icehorse

Premium Member
For the time period it was quite advanced in its attitude towards women.

And if that's how it was treated today, I'd feel differently about it! If Muslims couched it as "advanced for its day, and with a few useful ideas for modern society", that would be one thing.

But you must remember that it is viewed as final, perfect, timeless and unalterable.