• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is odd about the Book of Mormon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humanistheart

There is no evidence I have seen against the LDS in this thread, simply rehashes of old ideas in previous threads..

An old idea doesn't stop being valid purely by age.

I have pointed out no flaws in Christianity only factual observation about the availability of physical evidence.
The LDS and all other Christian dogma is based on Faith.

The people you were whining about offered many instances to the availability, or lack there of, of evidence for the lds faith. Try to stop contradicting yourself.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
No, but when there is proof of the contrary, it ceases to be valid. The assertions brought up in this thread have all been debunked long ago. It's pretty funny when i see someone on this forums who is a new member start re-hashing all of the same stuff i have been hearing for years as if they were the first ones to discuss it, let alone think it.

The people you were whining about offered many instances to the availability, or lack there of, of evidence for the lds faith. Try to stop contradicting yourself.
There are plenty of evidences to support the LDS faith, however there are people in this thread who ignore the findings because they are supposedly "Bias."

When have any major discoveries been made without the desire to seek for it? The people who have the motivation to discover the evidences for the Book of Mormon are of course going to be LDS or LDS apologetic.

:rolleyes:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

There is no tangible evidence to either prove or disprove matters of faith in any Branch of Christianity including the LDS branch.

so far the people attacking the LDS in this thread have either given opinion or quoted other opinion. Or sometimes given their own interpretation of LDS writings. This is not evidence of anything.
Lds Members have in general corrected these interpretations.

In my experience LDS members follow the teachings of Jesus as interpreted in the KJV of the Bible. That they have other writings and traditions is also common, as evidenced in all the thousands of writings and beliefs and traditions in the rest of Christendom.

Last edited:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Why bash anyone. It simply shows a mean spirit towards other people.

From the theist point of view, the atheist is the least defensible of all.

I don't bash people; I bash belief-systems. Actual Mormons are (usually) quite nice. It's just their silly beliefs that bother me.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
No, but when there is proof of the contrary, it ceases to be valid. The assertions brought up in this thread have all been debunked long ago. It's pretty funny when i see someone on this forums who is a new member start re-hashing all of the same stuff i have been hearing for years as if they were the first ones to discuss it, let alone think it.
No, they haven't. It s an absolute fact that there is not a shred of scientific evidence for any of the "history" set forth in the BoM, which is why Watchmen says it's all allegory.

There are plenty of evidences to support the LDS faith,
No, there aren't, as has been amply demonstrated over and over in this forum.
however there are people in this thread who ignore the findings because they are supposedly "Bias."
No, it's because they accept science and its methods.

When have any major discoveries been made without the desire to seek for it? The people who have the motivation to discover the evidences for the Book of Mormon are of course going to be LDS or LDS apologetic.
And they still fail.

This idea may sound strange to you, but some people are motivated by the desire to find the truth.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
There is no tangible evidence to either prove or disprove matters of faith in any Branch of Christianity including the LDS branch.
there is a ton of tangible evidence that the people described in the BoM do not exist, and the events described there never happened.
so far the people attacking the LDS in this thread have either given opinion or quoted other opinion.
No, I have stated facts, unrefuted in this thread.
Or sometimes given their own interpretation of LDS writings. This is not evidence of anything.
Lds Members have in general corrected these interpretations.
Not in this thread.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I still have auto on ignore from a long time ago. is she still spouting conjecture and nonsensical opinions with no backing?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I still have auto on ignore from a long time ago. is she still spouting conjecture and nonsensical opinions with no backing?

If RF had the equivalent of suing, I would sue for slander. I make it a practice to source all of my assertions, and research my claims. If I'm challenged, and turn out to be mistaken, I say so. My reputation for veracity is extremely important to me, and I guard it carefully. I challenge madhatter to cite a post in which I spouted conjecture or nonsensical opinions with no backing. If you cannot, please retract this post and apologize.

Please quote my post so madhatter can see it. Thank you.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

Gee, if I did that, you'd think you'd want to be sure to read my posts, so you could easily refute them.

For example, you'd produce the ample archeological evidence of New world steel, chariots, swords, armor, horses, elephants, camels, wheat, barley, etc., etc....That should be no problem, and we look forward to seeing the many scholarly articles discussing these interesting findings.

Similarly, I look forward to the many scholarly articles by anthropologists and geneticists explaining the unbroken history of ancestry from the Middle East to American Indians, as well as Pacific Islanders. I look forward to reading your fascinating contribution to our joint education.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Originally Posted by Watchmen
The majority of LDS will say no.

It is my personal belief that whether the Book of Mormon is fiction or not is irrelevant. It is the Truth the Book of Mormon teaches that is important.

I am no stranger to allegorical teachings Watchmen, and I understand what you’re trying to relay but I am curious and intrigued as to what these Truths are. If you can elaborate on them this may help. I mean, are they personal truths or are they universal truths? Are these irrefutable truths that any person can recognize and agree with (and still have the choice to not accept) or are these truths only popular with theists or truths that still require faith or can be acknowledged as just belief?

BONUS QUESTION: If they are truths (in that the evidence could only describe them as truths) could or would you have obtained these truths without the aid or the creation of the Book Of Mormon?

Last edited:
Gee, if I did that, you'd think you'd want to be sure to read my posts, so you could easily refute them.

For example, you'd produce the ample archeological evidence of New world steel, chariots, swords, armor, horses, elephants, camels, wheat, barley, etc., etc....That should be no problem, and we look forward to seeing the many scholarly articles discussing these interesting findings.

Similarly, I look forward to the many scholarly articles by anthropologists and geneticists explaining the unbroken history of ancestry from the Middle East to American Indians, as well as Pacific Islanders. I look forward to reading your fascinating contribution to our joint education.

This is exactly what I've been saying. I simply cannot believe the BoM is true because it is not verified by archeological or anthropological evidence.

Mormons and I have no troubles about the Bible. We both believe it is divinely inspired canonized scripture, 100% true and error free through and through. Just as the Bible has inspired me and changed my life, I believe Mormons are sincere when they say the same thing about the BoM, but for me, peace and inspiration alone cannot prove historicity.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
And who has been able to validate the claims made in the Bible or Koran.

Let me say it again....in case you feel as though I'm advocating....bible or quranic "truth"...

"No it doesn't. The quran comes even closer to reinforcing the bible and vice versa......but I would'nt put trust in either of these books as they have both been shown to be incorrect in various areas....."

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Why bash anyone. It simply shows a mean spirit towards other people.

From the theist point of view, the atheist is the least defensible of all.

Please try and stay on topic. This thread has absolutely nothing to do with atheism vs. theism....The questions was asked and we are giving the OP what he asked for. He asked for our opinion....What's wrong with giving the person what he wanted...?...:sarcastic

Watchmen

Premium Member
Well for example.....if we say the Creation story is allegory....then did God REALLY create the Universe or is it more important to understand that we should obey his commands?

See the Bible is often used as the ultimate source for Christians on creation....but if it is allegory (and many Christians totally agree that it is) then does that leave the door open to other ideas that are different than what the Bible says about creation? I think it does.

The story of Job is completely allegory. I don't think anyone would argue that. But look at the concept of the devil that was taken from that story and twisted into a reality of the devil. But the story is allegory. So why should we BELIEVE the devil is X when the story we get it from is fiction? Perhaps that Devil is X only in that story?

Unfortunately many Christians take things that are clearly allegory and use them as real thing...as if they really happened and twist up the meaning of the story and miss the point in general of the allegory.

As for me, I believe the Creation story is an allegory for certain Truths. It's not a physical sciences text book.

Watchmen

Premium Member
There are lots of stuff inteh Bible that I beleive to be truth....or common sense. But does that mean we shoudl worship God if the stories are fiction? IF it's not real....and it's Gods word....doees that mean God is not real?

It does not follow that if God uses allegory to teach Truth then God Himself must be fiction.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Which might be fine if people are looking for some folk stories with 'good values' at their route, but since the BoM is a corner stone of an entire religion, weather it's fiction or not becomes cruxial. You're basically admitting the BoM is fiction, and thus smith was a con-artist, You have no basis then to think your god's real, there's any heaven, or that any of the things lds do like 'blessings' and baptism's have any use or meaning what so ever.

I've said many times that God teaches through allegories. Thus, if the Book of Mormon is an allegory provided directly from God, then there is no problem in it serving as the cornerstone of a religion. There are also no problems with Joseph Smith, etc. if Smith was God's instrument in bringing the allegory to the world.

Watchmen

Premium Member
No it doesn't. The quran comes even closer to reinforcing the bible and vice versa......but I would put trust in either of these books as they have both been shown to be incorrect in various areas.....

Yes it does. The Quran does not bring people to Christ - the Book of Mormon does.

And yet NO LDS has ever been able to validate the claims made by the book....Will you be the first?

That's a broad statement. There is plenty of debate and information provided by apologetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.