• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is odd about the Book of Mormon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I am no stranger to allegorical teachings Watchmen, and I understand what you’re trying to relay but I am curious and intrigued as to what these Truths are. If you can elaborate on them this may help. I mean, are they personal truths or are they universal truths? Are these irrefutable truths that any person can recognize and agree with (and still have the choice to not accept) or are these truths only popular with theists or truths that still require faith or can be acknowledged as just belief?

BONUS QUESTION: If they are truths (in that the evidence could only describe them as truths) could or would you have obtained these truths without the aid or the creation of the Book Of Mormon?

The most important is that Jesus is the Christ.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
This is exactly what I've been saying. I simply cannot believe the BoM is true because it is not verified by archeological or anthropological evidence.

Mormons and I have no troubles about the Bible. We both believe it is divinely inspired canonized scripture, 100% true and error free through and through. Just as the Bible has inspired me and changed my life, I believe Mormons are sincere when they say the same thing about the BoM, but for me, peace and inspiration alone cannot prove historicity.

Bad news, jabberwock, the archeological for most of the Bible, if taken as history, is weak to non-existent.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Didn't the Bible kind of cover that alreadY?

The Bible testifies of Christ.

The Book of Mormon testifies of Christ.

That it was "covered already" is irrelevant. The Bible itself says the word of God would be taught from the mouths of two or three witnesses. The Bible and Book of Mormon serve as witnesses of Christ.

The bottom line is you just think it's all silly and will nitpick and find problems where none exist. For someone who thinks it's silly, you spend a lot of time talking about it.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Or your could get some thick skin.
So I take it that you also cannot verify this claim that you allege to be true? Good to know. I, on the the other hand, value the truth and my reputation for accuracy. I do not allow it to be unjustly slandered.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
The Bible testifies of Christ.

The Book of Mormon testifies of Christ.

That it was "covered already" is irrelevant. The Bible itself says the word of God would be taught from the mouths of two or three witnesses. The Bible and Book of Mormon serve as witnesses of Christ.

The bottom line is you just think it's all silly and will nitpick and find problems where none exist.
Well that's unnecessary in this case.
For someone who thinks it's silly, you spend a lot of time talking about it.
I think that when millions of people organize their lives around silly, false beliefs, it's worth talking about.

As I said, what really disturbs me is that if you can get people to believe such obviously false stuff (so false that even a Mormon here says it's just allegory), you can get people to believe any old thing.

And that makes me sad.

Watchmen

Premium Member
So I take it that you also cannot verify this claim that you allege to be true? Good to know. I, on the the other hand, value the truth and my reputation for accuracy. I do not allow it to be unjustly slandered.

Where did I allege the claim is true?

Or maybe we can use your post I'm quoting to show how you twist things and read what's not there. For someone who values truth and their reputation for accuracy, you completely missed here. I implore you to read more carefully.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Well that's unnecessary in this case. I think that when millions of people organize their lives around silly, false beliefs, it's worth talking about.

As I said, what really disturbs me is that if you can get people to believe such obviously false stuff (so false that even a Mormon here says it's just allegory), you can get people to believe any old thing.

And that makes me sad.

And I think it's sad someone wastes so much time worrying about dragging other people down.

Again, you need to read more carefully. I never said "it's just allegory." I said whether it portrays literal events or not is irrelevant.

How's that reputation holding up???

Watchmen

Premium Member
Auto - since the LDS church is silly, should it stop its global humanitarian efforts? After all, if you had your wish, no one would be LDS and the humanitarian efforts would cease to exist.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Auto - since the LDS church is silly, should it stop its global humanitarian efforts? After all, if you had your wish, no one would be LDS and the humanitarian efforts would cease to exist.

Your logic is faulty. There is nothing that requires people to believe silly things in order to do good works. And I didn't say the church is silly, but its beliefs. Because they are, deeply, irrevocably, would be comically if it weren't so depressingly, silly.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
And I think it's sad someone wastes so much time worrying about dragging other people down.
I believe the truth lifts people up.

Again, you need to read more carefully. I never said "it's just allegory." I said whether it portrays literal events or not is irrelevant.
Well, some people value truth, some do not.

How's that reputation holding up???
I think it's fine, if madhatter and his ilk don't go around slandering it. Shall we poll the thread and find out?

Watchmen

Premium Member
So your remark that truth is a defense to slander was just an irrelevant aside? Maybe you can explain why you thought that point was relevant, if not to assert that the allegation was true?

You made it sound like it was a closed case. I pointed out defenses are available.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Your logic is faulty. There is nothing that requires people to believe silly things in order to do good works. And I didn't say the church is silly, but its beliefs. Because they are, deeply, irrevocably, would be comically if it weren't so depressingly, silly.

The logic is not faulty. You want to get rid of the LDS Church. If you get rid of the Church you get rid of the Humanitarian aid it provides.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I believe the truth lifts people up.

Well, some people value truth, some do not.

I think it's fine, if madhatter and his ilk don't go around slandering it. Shall we poll the thread and find out?

Truth lifts people up. You drag people through the mud.

Some people value truth, some do not. I value truth.

Your reputation is not fine as evidenced by you recently misreading my posts and the number of people who have you on ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.