• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is odd about the Book of Mormon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humanistheart

No, but when there is proof of the contrary, it ceases to be valid. The assertions brought up in this thread have all been debunked long ago.
:rolleyes:

So you say, but as you've not offered a scrap of evidence to support that claim, I'll stick with the original assertion. Perhaps if you could actually prove they've been debunked rather than just saying they have been we could move on, but you haven't.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
If we are to believe what Christ said when he stated "other sheep I have which are not of this fold," then it it reasonable to believe that we was speaking about people in other places. It is not unreasonable to believe that Christ, after being resurrected, would manifest himself to these "other sheep" in other parts of the world like he manifested himself to Mary after he was resurrected. Likewise, it is reasonable to believe that these "other sheep" would keep a record of such an amazing event. Do you not think that Christ's message to the people he visited would be consistent? Wouldn't his message still be HIS message? So, all that said, it doesn't make sense to me to claim "plagiarism," when it is entirely possible and the case that the record of people about Christ would be consistent.

We could possibly buy that except what your book says about the people, their knowledge, their advancements, their technology and the wars has proven to be non existent here in the US and in South America.....:rolleyes:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
The Book of Mormon was translated from Reformed Egyptian. The bible was translated from Greek (Paul) and Hebrew, etc. Claiming that two different volumes of scripture sounds different is like saying the Romanian sounds different from English. People in different places often have different ways of speaking. That doesn't seem very odd to me, in fact, I would expect them to sound different. What's more important than the nature of the text is the content--is the content consistent--does it equally testify of Christ and his mission.

Ok...but there is no such thing as "Reformed Egyptian".......but only from the mind of Joseph Smith and entourage.....

Humanistheart

I think it is reasonable to believe that Nephi had the writings of Isaiah. Nephi and his people left Jerusalem--do you think they wouldn't have the records of the prophets of their time? Nephi doesn't need to be the author in order for the records to be written by Isaiah. Consider how many records were past down among native American--stories, legends--and things definitely weren't "cannonized" by them. Yet, their stories remained consistent.

lightgirl, it's not reasonable to think nephi ever lived. let alone had a copy of the bible. As Auto pointed out several pages back, there has been nothing to substantiate the idea that this society ever existed. No native amercian legends speak to this, no genetics can confrim this, no archeological evidence has been found to support it, etc etc. Everything we know about this continant tells us the BoM is fiction.

Last edited:

Humanistheart

Hater, you're link proves my point for me. Even the first paragraph admitts there is no evidence, and the rest of he article holds no sound evidence what so ever. Would you like me to provide you a link to the power ranger web site? It would be about as condusive to your argument as the link you provided.

"there is no "smoking gun" proof of the exact reformed Egyptian"

Now that I have your attention, perhaps you'd like to list some proof for your claims at this point. For example you've said many of the arguments put forth have been long debunked. Would you care to share the data that does so, or just keep claiming it exists and ignoring everyone's request for it?

Last edited:

madhatter85

Transhumanist
So you say, but as you've not offered a scrap of evidence to support that claim, I'll stick with the original assertion. Perhaps if you could actually prove they've been debunked rather than just saying they have been we could move on, but you haven't.
Safety for the Soul
When Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum started for Carthage to face what they knew would be an imminent martyrdom, Hyrum read these words to comfort the heart of his brother: “Thou hast been faithful; wherefore . . . thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father.
“And now I, Moroni, bid farewell . . . until we shall meet before the judgment-seat of Christ.”7
A few short verses from the 12th chapter of Ether in the Book of Mormon. Before closing the book, Hyrum turned down the corner of the page from which he had read, marking it as part of the everlasting testimony for which these two brothers were about to die. I hold in my hand that book, the very copy from which Hyrum read, the same corner of the page turned down, still visible. Later, when actually incarcerated in the jail, Joseph the Prophet turned to the guards who held him captive and bore a powerful testimony of the divine authenticity of the Book of Mormon.8 Shortly thereafter pistol and ball would take the lives of these two testators.

I ask you: would these men blaspheme before God by continuing to fix their lives, their honor, and their own search for eternal salvation on a book (and by implication a church and a ministry) they had fictitiously created out of whole cloth? Never mind that their wives are about to be widows and their children fatherless. Never mind that their little band of followers will yet be “houseless, friendless and homeless” and that their children will leave footprints of blood across frozen rivers and an untamed prairie floor.9 Never mind that legions will die and other legions live declaring in the four quarters of this earth that they know the Book of Mormon and the Church which espouses it to be true. Disregard all of that, and tell me whether in this hour of death these two men would enter the presence of their Eternal Judge quoting from and finding solace in a book which, if not the very word of God, would brand them as imposters and charlatans until the end of time? They would not do that! They were willing to die rather than deny the divine origin and the eternal truthfulness of the Book of Mormon.
Are you going to explain why these event took place? Or, are you deliberately ignoring the post because you have nothing to rebut it with?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Hater, you're link proves my point for me. Even the first paragraph admitts there is no evidence, and the rest of he article holds no sound evidence what so ever. Would you like me to provide you a link to the power ranger web site? It would be about as condusive to your argument as the link you provided.

"there is no "smoking gun" proof of the exact reformed Egyptian"

Now that I have your attention, perhaps you'd like to list some proof for your claims at this point. For example you've said many of the arguments put forth have been long debunked. Would you care to share the data that does so, or just keep claiming it exists and ignoring everyone's request for it?
you did not ask for proof, you asked for evidences, they are two different things.

Whenever a claim is made, you ask for evidences, when we provide evidences, you then ask for proof and ignore the evidences. Funny how that works.

Humanistheart

Hater,

Hater, since you seem to continue to ingore the question I'll repost it. Where is this evidence that the previous claims against the lds faith have been debunked? Do you have any evidence what so ever? No, appearently not.

Humanistheart

Safety for the Soul

Are you going to explain why these event took place? Or, are you deliberately ignoring the post because you have nothing to rebut it with?

Provide me a link to the original so I don't have to go looking for it and I'll respond to it.

And like wise, perhaps you'd like to list that evidence that all the claims against the lds faith have been debunked. You said they have been, surely you can provide evidence of such if that's true.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Provide me a link to the original so I don't have to go looking for it and I'll respond to it.

And like wise, perhaps you'd like to list that evidence that all the claims against the lds faith have been debunked. You said they have been, surely you can provide evidence of such if that's true.
I did link to it directly. And i provided the source, and i re-posted it for you. Read it.

Humanistheart

You seem to have faith in the conjecture of scientists based on evidences without proof. Yet when it comes to religious matters of faith you dismiss it because there is no "proof" even though there are evidences.

You claimed the arguments listed against the lds church were debunked, then you provide no evidence for you statement. Faith is not evidence. I'll take it from this post that you are unable to back up your cliam. Faith is not evidence.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
You provided the quote, not a link. A link would include that little blue box by your name that when you click on it, it takes you to the post. Read it.
If you look in the post there is a hyperlink to the original post. actually there are two, and the 3rd hyperlink takes you to the original where i quoted it from. Don't be daft.

Status
Not open for further replies.