• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is odd about the Book of Mormon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I said the purpose of the Book of Mormon is to bring people to Christ. The same cannot be said of the Quran. Muslims deny Jesus is the Son of God - they deny his Deity.

And yet they revere him as a mighty prophet...and their book testifies more of him than any other prophet.....

What they deny is that he is the biological son of Allah (God). In fact out of all the 4 gospels the book of John is the only one that asserts he is the (only begotten) where as Mark, the earliest of the gospels, Luke and Matthew who drew from Mark are totally silent on such a notion. As far as deity..this is being argued in other threads and the 4 gospels are consistent that he wasn't nor did he teach anyone following him he was..rather any power he had he said he received from his god.....

Again, I'm not nor have I been claiming Mormonism "doesn't bring people to Christ"....That's not my position at all but to suggest Islam does not bring people to the Messiah is incorrect. The difference being is muslims don't put Jesus in the center and work their way out from there. They put Allah (God) first while viewing all the prophets as blessed messengers task with bringing the word to the people.

But we digressed...

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The fact that this ancient people group still exists after everything that has been thrown at it is amazing. And the Bible notes the LORD's promise made to Abraham. Now, there were many other groups of nations; however, none of these show the connections with both religion, land, and ancestory like that of the Jews.

I would say that proves nothing about either the Jewish texts nor the Christian Bible.
as for the existence of the Jews proving anything ... very few other groups have become extinct either.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Just wanted to point out that madhatter did NOT share a single post in which I made an unsubstantiated or careless claim, nor did he retract his allegation and apologize. I'll let you all conclude what you may about his integrity; I certainly have.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Just wanted to point out that madhatter did NOT share a single post in which I made an unsubstantiated or careless claim, nor did he retract his allegation and apologize. I'll let you all conclude what you may about his integrity; I certainly have.

Sometimes people reach the stage, where they consider further discussion pointless.
I conclude this might be the case here. I would tend to agree.

LittleNipper

I would say that proves nothing about either the Jewish texts nor the Christian Bible.
as for the existence of the Jews proving anything ... very few other groups have become extinct either.

Actually, I would suggest that most groups have become absorbed into other cultures and that many "religions" have become extinct. That is not true of the Jewish religion non its progression into christianity.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Sometimes people reach the stage, where they consider further discussion pointless.
I conclude this might be the case here. I would tend to agree.
Is that what she is saying? I wouldn't know I have her on ignore.

She should refer to post 405

And yes, There comes a point where there is no point in continuing discussion with another person. I hit that threshold with her a long time ago. :facepalm:

Clear

Premium Member
Madhatter 85 I know I’m out of sync with this thread, but I’m so busy I could not get to comment when I wanted to.

The conversation regarding Smith’s possible character (which no one really knows) reminds me of the exact same debates that took place anciently regarding the ancient prophets (who are certainly well-respected among orthodoxy, and still dis-respected among those believing they were not prophets). I do NOT see any reason why Smith will avoid the exact same controversies.

I have wondered if it is even possible to prove or disprove someone was a prophet based on such “perceived hypocrisy” since various histories record that many ancient prophets did things that seemed strange and hypocritical given their position to receive revelation.

For examples : The Prophet Moses becomes a “murderer” long before his calling (i.e. killing the egyptian task-master); Moses relates the law to Israel not to marry outside of Israel, yet he married an Ethiopian against the prohibition (even Aaron and Miriam take him to task for this (1) ). Moses commands not to make a graven image and then himself makes a graven image of a snake on the rod whom he invites Israel to look to in order to be healed. And yet he becomes angry at Israel for a similar action. (2) Barnabas, before it was removed from the provisional New Testament, points out that without knowledge of the underlying reason for Moses actions, they do not seem reasonable.(3) This is what we lack, the data, underlying the history. The same is true of any prophet. One main problem is that this underlying knowledge is what we cannot have. Thus we are in the position of either making a decision on insufficient and provisional data, OR, heaven forbid, suspending a firm decision as to what we will believe and admitting that we don't know. A condemnation is simply too tempting to make.

The great Abraham, the father of all three nations seems like a proud, almost “snotty” youth in decrying idol worship among his own citizens; later, he is willing to “murder” his own son Isaac (which is part of the very thing he so vehemently decried when he was a youth). For these reasons, it does NOT surprise me (nor even bother me) to have an enormous amount of controversy surrounding Smith, as there have always BEEN controversy surrounding ancient characters who were considered Prophets. For example : It does NOT bother me that a controversial figure such as Smith has a jail record any more than if Martin Luther King and other black trying to win basic human rights had jail records.

Yet, both sides have their logic. King’s supporters have often pointed out that Blacks were unfairly placed in jail and the jail records were not indicative of his overall character. Some critics of Blacks may maintain that there was no reason for the system to have jailed blacks unfairly and thus the blacks deserved to be jailed and their jail records do reflect character defects in those jailed. I grew up in a country that has believed in the holocaust of Jews in WWII. Some individuals and leaders of countries teach that this history is false and there WAS NO holocaust of Jews. Both sides of even this recent history have supporter and detractors.

History, has always seemed to me to be merely a “version” of a reality that might have happened the way it was reported or maybe not. (Most of the time I think it was somewhat different than reported) Even fairly recent history becomes an object of great debate and hardly ever confirmable. (E.g. “There might have been a shooter on the grassy knoll in the kennedy assassination or not, yet the debate STILL goes on in some quarters.) Because most of us are limited in realistic and confirmable information sources, we are left, after all the tremendous hype and huffing and frustrating debates, to simply saying “this is my opinion, and it is tentative and dependent upon further information” and leaving it at that.

I certainly could be incorrect in this provisional way of looking at things until I have better data, but it is simply a way that such things can make provisional sense to me. Perhaps this is part of the reason such debates to not seem to have much value in my view (which is limited), but rather I've focused on whether his doctrines were in line with the ancient doctrines (also, I think that to view things in a historical way is probably my own bias). This viewpoint allows me to be amazed by Smith's apparent restoration of ancient christian doctrines quite independent of controversies that are (to me) of lessor import. I simply want accurate and ancient Christian Moral doctrines regarding SALVATION. (salvific accuracy)

Clear
drtzsesiis

(1) Numbers 12 : 1And Miriam and Aaron spake against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married: for he had married an Ethiopian woman. 2And they said, Hath the LORD indeed spoken only by Moses? hath he not spoken also by us? And the LORD heard it. 3(Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.) 4And the LORD spake suddenly unto Moses, and unto Aaron, and unto Miriam, Come out ye three unto the tabernacle of the congregation. And they three came out. 5And the LORD came down in the pillar of the cloud, and stood in the door of the tabernacle, and called Aaron and Miriam: and they both came forth. 6And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream. 7My servant Moses is not so, who is faithful in all mine house. 8With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the LORD shall he behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses? 9And the anger of the LORD was kindled against them; and he departed. 10And the cloud departed from off the tabernacle; and, behold, Miriam became leprous, white as snow: and Aaron looked upon Miriam, and, behold, she was leprous.

(2) Indeed, even though the same Moses had commanded, “You shall not have a cast or a carved image for your God, nevertheless he himself made one in order to show them a symbol of Jesus. So Moses made a bronze serpent and set it up conspicuously, and called the people together by a proclamation. When they had gathered together they begged Moses to offer a prayer for them, that they might be healed. But Moses said to them: “Whenever,” he says “one of you is bitten, let him come to the serpent that is placed upon the wooden pole and let him hope and believe that though it is dead it can nonetheless give life, and he shall be saved immediately.” Bar 12:6-7;

(3) Moses realized that once again they had made cast images for themselves, and he flung the tablets from his hands, and the tablets of the Lord’s covenant were shattered. So Moses received it but they were not worthy. Bar 14:3-4;

Last edited:

LittleNipper

Madhatter 85 I know I’m out of sync with this thread, but I’m so busy I could not get to comment when I wanted to.

The conversation regarding Smith’s possible character (which no one really knows) reminds me of the exact same debates that took place anciently regarding the ancient prophets (who are certainly well-respected among orthodoxy, and still dis-respected among those believing they were not prophets). I do NOT see any reason why Smith will avoid the exact same controversies.

I have wondered if it is even possible to prove or disprove someone was a prophet based on such “perceived hypocrisy” since various histories record that many ancient prophets did things that seemed strange and hypocritical given their position to receive revelation.

For examples : The Prophet Moses becomes a “murderer” long before his calling (i.e. killing the egyptian task-master); Moses relates the law to Israel not to marry outside of Israel, yet he married an Ethiopian against the prohibition (even Aaron and Miriam take him to task for this (1) ). Moses commands not to make a graven image and then himself makes a graven image of a snake on the rod whom he invites Israel to look to in order to be healed. And yet he becomes angry at Israel for a similar action. (2) Barnabas, before it was removed from the provisional New Testament, points out that without knowledge of the underlying reason for Moses actions, they do not seem reasonable.(3) This is what we lack, the data, underlying the history. The same is true of any prophet. One main problem is that this underlying knowledge is what we cannot have. Thus we are in the position of either making a decision on insufficient and provisional data, OR, heaven forbid, suspending a firm decision as to what we will believe and admitting that we don't know. A condemnation is simply too tempting to make.

The great Abraham, the father of all three nations seems like a proud, almost “snotty” youth in decrying idol worship among his own citizens; later, he is willing to “murder” his own son Isaac (which is part of the very thing he so vehemently decried when he was a youth). For these reasons, it does NOT surprise me (nor even bother me) to have an enormous amount of controversy surrounding Smith, as there have always BEEN controversy surrounding ancient characters who were considered Prophets. For example : It does NOT bother me that a controversial figure such as Smith has a jail record any more than if Martin Luther King and other black trying to win basic human rights had jail records.

Yet, both sides have their logic. King’s supporters have often pointed out that Blacks were unfairly placed in jail and the jail records were not indicative of his overall character. Some critics of Blacks may maintain that there was no reason for the system to have jailed blacks unfairly and thus the blacks deserved to be jailed and their jail records do reflect character defects in those jailed. I grew up in a country that has believed in the holocaust of Jews in WWII. Some individuals and leaders of countries teach that this history is false and there WAS NO holocaust of Jews. Both sides of even this recent history have supporter and detractors.

History, has always seemed to me to be merely a “version” of a reality that might have happened the way it was reported or maybe not. (Most of the time I think it was somewhat different than reported) Even fairly recent history becomes an object of great debate and hardly ever confirmable. (E.g. “There might have been a shooter on the grassy knoll in the kennedy assassination or not, yet the debate STILL goes on in some quarters.) Because most of us are limited in realistic and confirmable information sources, we are left, after all the tremendous hype and huffing and frustrating debates, to simply saying “this is my opinion, and it is tentative and dependent upon further information” and leaving it at that.

I certainly could be incorrect in this provisional way of looking at things until I have better data, but it is simply a way that such things can make provisional sense to me. Perhaps this is part of the reason such debates to not seem to have much value in my view (which is limited), but rather I've focused on whether his doctrines were in line with the ancient doctrines (also, I think that to view things in a historical way is probably my own bias). This viewpoint allows me to be amazed by Smith's apparent restoration of ancient christian doctrines quite independent of controversies that are (to me) of lessor import. I simply want accurate and ancient Christian Moral doctrines regarding SALVATION. (salvific accuracy)

Clear
drtzsesiis

(1) Numbers 12 : 1And Miriam and Aaron spake against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married: for he had married an Ethiopian woman. 2And they said, Hath the LORD indeed spoken only by Moses? hath he not spoken also by us? And the LORD heard it. 3(Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.) 4And the LORD spake suddenly unto Moses, and unto Aaron, and unto Miriam, Come out ye three unto the tabernacle of the congregation. And they three came out. 5And the LORD came down in the pillar of the cloud, and stood in the door of the tabernacle, and called Aaron and Miriam: and they both came forth. 6And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream. 7My servant Moses is not so, who is faithful in all mine house. 8With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the LORD shall he behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses? 9And the anger of the LORD was kindled against them; and he departed. 10And the cloud departed from off the tabernacle; and, behold, Miriam became leprous, white as snow: and Aaron looked upon Miriam, and, behold, she was leprous.

(2) Indeed, even though the same Moses had commanded, “You shall not have a cast or a carved image for your God, nevertheless he himself made one in order to show them a symbol of Jesus. So Moses made a bronze serpent and set it up conspicuously, and called the people together by a proclamation. When they had gathered together they begged Moses to offer a prayer for them, that they might be healed. But Moses said to them: “Whenever,” he says “one of you is bitten, let him come to the serpent that is placed upon the wooden pole and let him hope and believe that though it is dead it can nonetheless give life, and he shall be saved immediately.” Bar 12:6-7;

(3) Moses realized that once again they had made cast images for themselves, and he flung the tablets from his hands, and the tablets of the Lord’s covenant were shattered. So Moses received it but they were not worthy. Bar 14:3-4;

The Epistle of Barnabas, if one accepts what Wikipedia has to say, promotes the separation of Christians from Jews and says that the Jews never had a covenant with GOD.

This point alone would say to me that this isn't inspired. GOD deals with whom HE will and has always considered evangelization. This cannot happen if a people are pushed away.

I do not consider Joseph Smith's past alone when I judge the book of Mormon. I look to the Bible and see the contradiction between that and the Book of Mormon. THEN I note the point of origin of the book of Mormon----- Joseph Smith.

Last edited:

Clear

Premium Member
Little Nipper

little nipper[/quote said:
"The Epistle of Barnabas, if one accepts what Wikipedia has to say, promotes the separation of Christians from Jews and says that the Jews never had a covenant with GOD."

Little nipper, can you both 1) tell me just why this is an important observation to you and 2) provide me with the quote from Barnabas, that you are using to claim that the Epistle of Barnabas promotes an inappropriate separation of Christians from Jews and that the Jews "never had a covenant with God?" (since Barnabas WAS in the early New Testament...)

Perhaps we can discuss it if you think it is somehow important to salvation. Are there "appropriate separations" that Christians made and still make from others? Have you, yourself made inappropriate separations and divisions which have "pushed people away" from considering evangelization?

Regarding doctrines upon which our salvation depends, is there a specific ancient christian doctrine regarding salvation which the Book of Mormon teaches that you disagree with? (I admit that I do not know the Book of Mormon well, I am reading it sporadically amongst my other projects...). I am very, very impressed with the LDS Book of Abraham (and the entire LDS Pearl of Great Price Library) right now.

I forgot to add that I VERY MUCH AGREE WITH YOUR CLAIM THAT "GOD deals with whom HE will and has always considered evangelization." (however, I also apply that to Smith and ALL other individuals, equally).

Clear

Last edited:

madhatter85

Transhumanist
The Epistle of Barnabas, if one accepts what Wikipedia has to say, promotes the separation of Christians from Jews and says that the Jews never had a covenant with GOD.
Oh man this is laughable. The Jews are the Lord's ancient covenant people. Israel is Jewish. Abraham was Jewish, Christ was Jewish. Yep. there's no unrining that bell, sorry bud.

This point alone would say to me that this isn't inspired. GOD deals with whom HE will and has always considered evangelization. This cannot happen if a people are pushed away.
Actually, even though the Jews rejected Christ, the covenant still stands if they accept him, meaning they will become part of Israel. Anyone who accepts Christ becomes part of Israel.

I do not consider Joseph Smith's past alone when I judge the book of Mormon. I look to the Bible and see the contradiction between that and the Book of Mormon. THEN I note the point of origin of the book of Mormon----- Joseph Smith.
Fortunately, there are no contradictions between the Bible and the Book of Mormon. Have you even read the Book of Mormon for yourself?

Watchmen

Premium Member
And yet they revere him as a mighty prophet...and their book testifies more of him than any other prophet.....

What they deny is that he is the biological son of Allah (God). In fact out of all the 4 gospels the book of John is the only one that asserts he is the (only begotten) where as Mark, the earliest of the gospels, Luke and Matthew who drew from Mark are totally silent on such a notion. As far as deity..this is being argued in other threads and the 4 gospels are consistent that he wasn't nor did he teach anyone following him he was..rather any power he had he said he received from his god.....

Again, I'm not nor have I been claiming Mormonism "doesn't bring people to Christ"....That's not my position at all but to suggest Islam does not bring people to the Messiah is incorrect. The difference being is muslims don't put Jesus in the center and work their way out from there. They put Allah (God) first while viewing all the prophets as blessed messengers task with bringing the word to the people.

But we digressed...

Thanks for proving my point. They do not recognize Jesus for what he is.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Is that what she is saying? I wouldn't know I have her on ignore.

She should refer to post 405

And yes, There comes a point where there is no point in continuing discussion with another person. I hit that threshold with her a long time ago. :facepalm:
That post of mine that contains a single assertion not supported by ample evidence? A single false, misleading, or careless statement? Anything whatsoever I have said that is not correct? What?

Just as I thought, neither substantiation nor retraction.

But better be careful telling truth so some Mormons, they call you names and then run and hide.

lightgirl

The most striking thing to me is the amount of plagiarism in it. Obvious plagiarism.

If we are to believe what Christ said when he stated "other sheep I have which are not of this fold," then it it reasonable to believe that we was speaking about people in other places. It is not unreasonable to believe that Christ, after being resurrected, would manifest himself to these "other sheep" in other parts of the world like he manifested himself to Mary after he was resurrected. Likewise, it is reasonable to believe that these "other sheep" would keep a record of such an amazing event. Do you not think that Christ's message to the people he visited would be consistent? Wouldn't his message still be HIS message? So, all that said, it doesn't make sense to me to claim "plagiarism," when it is entirely possible and the case that the record of people about Christ would be consistent.

lightgirl

I find that the Book of Mormon is very odd when stacked against the Holy Scripture. Do others see issues also?

The Book of Mormon was translated from Reformed Egyptian. The bible was translated from Greek (Paul) and Hebrew, etc. Claiming that two different volumes of scripture sounds different is like saying the Romanian sounds different from English. People in different places often have different ways of speaking. That doesn't seem very odd to me, in fact, I would expect them to sound different. What's more important than the nature of the text is the content--is the content consistent--does it equally testify of Christ and his mission.

lightgirl

It is undeniable. here is a short form of it.....the plates are supposedly written in 400AD and an abridged version of older metal plates that have never been seen. The most damaging thing is that it quotes directly from the KJV 1611 bible. Now when the plates were originally written the Bible wasn't even canonized yet. We all know the issues with translating from one language to the next. The interesting thing about the KJV 1611 is that it includes italicized words which are inserted by the translator to help ease the passage along. The words are italisized simply because the words do not appear in the original document. Yet we find the words that are italisized IN the BOM verbatum. We know, and LDS members freely admit, that Smith had a KJV 1611 book handy.

When you compare a BOM book like Nephi to a Biblical book of Isaiah you find word for word texts. So whom wrote it Nephi or Isaiah? We know the Bible writers did borrow from older texts that we haven't found. Like the Q document from which we believe the Gospels borrowed heavily from. Yet when we look at the BOM we find that the onyl thing it borrowed from was the KJV 1611.

Whats worse than this are the times when we look at original manuscripts and compare them to English translations and there is no other way to translate as it turns out to be a literal translation but we find Smith adding stuff that is not there at all. Such as but not limited to tryign to tie Jesus to the Gospel.

I think it is reasonable to believe that Nephi had the writings of Isaiah. Nephi and his people left Jerusalem--do you think they wouldn't have the records of the prophets of their time? Nephi doesn't need to be the author in order for the records to be written by Isaiah. Consider how many records were past down among native American--stories, legends--and things definitely weren't "cannonized" by them. Yet, their stories remained consistent.

lightgirl

When I look at the LDS...
I do not judge them by their belief in the BOM. or any other book.
I Look at them in the same way I look at any other Group of Christians.

Do they Love God and their fellow man?
Do they believe Jesus to be the son of God?
Do they follow the Teachings of Jesus?
Do they hold the Bible to be their prime inspiration.?
Do they live sober, honest and upright lives?
Are they active in works of charity to those more unfortunate than themselves?
Are they perhaps the best religiously educated and organized congregation in the Christian world?
I would say they have all these qualities in spades.

Do many other churches consider them to be Heretical?
Are they attacked for belief in their other scriptures?
Do they believe in the continuation of the prophets.?
Do they believe in an unconventional view of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.?
These things and more are True.

Individually most of the LDS members I know are truly Christian. However like all men they sin and fall short of perfection.

I Expect one Day both we and they will understand the true nature and purpose of the BOM.
Until that time comes, I am perfectly prepared to wait and not be Judgmental about it.

Thank you for fostering peace and love toward all people, regardless of their faith. "Blessed are the peacemakers," and you fit into this category!

Status
Not open for further replies.