• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is odd about the Book of Mormon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Maybe we should get DeepShadow here to talk about mitochondrial DNA.

Get him if you like but truth being told it won't help...rather cloud the existing archeological problems. Additionally, there is no conclusive DNA research that points to a Jewish heritage or a mass migration to the Americas. At best the DNA points to a Polynesian descent.

"Some Latter-day Saints have expressed optimism that DNA research would lead to a vindication of the Book of Mormon as a translation of a genuine ancient document. The hope is that DNA research would link Native Americans to ancient Israelites, buttressing LDS beliefs in a way that has not been forthcoming from archaeological, linguistic, historical, or morphological research. The results, though, have been disappointing. So far, DNA research lends no support to traditional Mormon beliefs about the origins of Native Americans. Genetic data repeatedly point to migrations from Asia between 7,000 and 50,000 years ago as the primary source of Native American origins. DNA research has substantiated the archaeological, cultural, linguistic, and biological evidence that also points overwhelmingly to an Asian origin for Native Americans. While DNA evidence shows that ultimately all human populations are rather closely related, to date no intimate genetic link has been found between ancient Israelites and the indigenous peoples of the Americas-much less within the time frame suggested by the Book of Mormon. After considering recent research in molecular anthropology, summarized here, I have concluded that Latter-day Saints should not expect to find validation for the Book of Mormon in genetics. My assessment echoes that of geneticist and former LDS Bishop Simon Southerton whose survey of the literature on Native American DNA also "failed to find anything that supported migration of Jewish people before Columbus." He concluded "the truth is that there is no reliable scientific evidence supporting migrations from the Middle East to the New World." (Thomas W. Murphy, "Lamanite Genesis, Genealogy, and Genetics", American Apocrypha: Essays on the Book of Mormon)

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
and there have been 58 pages of spam thus far.

At least someone might eat a healthy dinner tomorrow night:)

I mean...really......!

Isn't your spamming breaking some forum rule...somewhere?

If you don't like what has been said then simply not post. If you're going to post here can you at least deal with some of the questions put forth...Such as why is there archeological evidence to support the people, the names, the technology, the buildings, the weaponry, the wars, the geology of the people of the BoM? Do you have evidence from those in the mainstream scientific arena...?

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
Probably because the main character said she went off to some place for x amount of time.The other people said she was only gone for a few seconds.

...yet the tape had recorded x amount of static.

dun dun duuuuuuun

How does one explain the static?

(hated the movie. Loved the South Park episode that makes fun of it)

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I mean...really......!

Isn't your spamming breaking some forum rule...somewhere?

If you don't like what has been said then simply not post. If you're going to post here can you at least deal with some of the questions put forth...Such as why is there archeological evidence to support the people, the names, the technology, the buildings, the weaponry, the wars, the geology of the people of the BoM? Do you have evidence from those in the mainstream scientific arena...?

How about more delicious recipes;)?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Probably because the main character said she went off to some place for x amount of time.The other people said she was only gone for a few seconds.

dun dun duuuuuuun

It is so hard to take Dingus McConaghy seriously....

Watchmen

Premium Member
Yes, I read that already. Now, did you think that movie related to the subject of this thread in some way? If so, what?

I believe the movie demonstrates that things can happen to us and we can know what happened is true, even if we have no evidence of such and those who did not share in the experience criticize us. Of course, the movie is just science fiction, but I believe the principle is true.

Watchmen

Premium Member

dun dun duuuuuuun

What didn't you like about the movie?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I believe the movie demonstrates that things can happen to us and we can know what happened is true, even if we have no evidence of such and those who did not share in the experience criticize us. Of course, the movie is just science fiction, but I believe the principle is true.

Uh huh. So then all the world's Muslims, Hindus, Catholics and so forth's experiences are equally true? You extend the same credulity to their beliefs as to yours?

And then, my own experience, that I prayed earnestly and sincerely and received nothing, you extend the same credulity to my experience as you expect me to extend to yours?

How about schizophrenic people? They know for certain that they experience voices--you grant the reality of the spirits that talk to them as well?

Watchmen

Premium Member
Uh huh. So then all the world's Muslims, Hindus, Catholics and so forth's experiences are equally true? You extend the same credulity to their beliefs as to yours?

And then, my own experience, that I prayed earnestly and sincerely and received nothing, you extend the same credulity to my experience as you expect me to extend to yours?

How about schizophrenic people? They know for certain that they experience voices--you grant the reality of the spirits that talk to them as well?

Yes.

It's not for me to judge others' beliefs or experiences. It is true to them just as my beliefs are true to me. We each must discover the path that's right for us and what may be right for one is not necessarily right for another.

LittleNipper

Yes.

It's not for me to judge others' beliefs or experiences. It is true to them just as my beliefs are true to me. We each must discover the path that's right for us and what may be right for one is not necessarily right for another.

A righteous path is always a righteous one. An unrighteous one remains an unrighteous one.

LittleNipper

A lie is a lie no matter who says it or who believes it...

Genesis 3:4 & 5
4And the serpent saith unto the woman, `Dying, ye do not die,
5for God doth know that in the day of your eating of it -- your eyes have been opened, and ye have been as God, knowing good and evil.'

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Yes.

So what you're telling me is that you simultaneously believe that Jesus is and is not divine?

Did you know that when your argument requires you to assert both A and -A, it means your argument is wrong?

Watchmen

Premium Member
A lie is a lie no matter who says it or who believes it...

Genesis 3:4 & 5
4And the serpent saith unto the woman, `Dying, ye do not die,
5for God doth know that in the day of your eating of it -- your eyes have been opened, and ye have been as God, knowing good and evil.'

A thing is not necessarily a lie, even if it didn't happen.

Watchmen

Premium Member
So what you're telling me is that you simultaneously believe that Jesus is and is not divine?

Did you know that when your argument requires you to assert both A and -A, it means your argument is wrong?

I have made no such statement regarding my beliefs.

*Come on, baby! Lets do the twist!*
-Chubby Checker

Smoke

Done here.
It is true to them just as my beliefs are true to me. We each must discover the path that's right for us and what may be right for one is not necessarily right for another.
It's one thing to find the path that seems right for you, and I have no problem with it as long as you don't try to force it on me. However, it seems to me an incredibly muddle-headed thing to select whatever "truth" seems to suit one's personal needs.

Sententia

It's one thing to find the path that seems right for you, and I have no problem with it as long as you don't try to force it on me. However, it seems to me an incredibly muddle-headed thing to select whatever "truth" seems to suit one's personal needs.

What about having revelations from god that seem to suit your immediate and personal needs?

Watchmen's overall view is different though... I think he is basically saying that the whole ancient civilization that has no evidence... the gold plates... the whole revelation stuff... just allegorical and intended to instruct and not to actually recount what actually happened.

I don't believe thats doctrine though but its definitely a method I have not heard about before. At least not from other mormons. If you follow that everything is allegorical then the actual faith would not really matter as much either if you could derive the lessons, meaning and morals from the stories. I have not read the entire BOM yet but if you were to take the bible and attempt to derive the lessons, meanings and morals from it you would probably end up psychotic unless you were VERY picky and creative to boot. hehe.

This is why I think relativism in religion is a load of crap. I believe that Jesus is God THE ONE AND ONLY. Jehova's Witnesses think he is a created being and therefore NOT God. Mormons think Jesus is one God among many. Muslims think he is a prophet, a great and holy man but a mere man nonetheless. Then there are the skeptical opinions that he was just a normal dude who was deified posthumously, or that he never existed at all and everything we think we know about him is just like a fairy tale.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that Jesus can simultaneously be God one-and-only, one God among many, a created spirit being, just a normal man, and a made up story.

Can you people see the absurdity when we assume relativism?

Status
Not open for further replies.